Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010

1708631187191.png

Apple should be covering these cracks for free. That is a significant product defect. Many users are reporting this issue is happening with normal use.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

View attachment 2352040

Apple should be covering these cracks for free. That is a significant product defect. Many users are reporting this issue is happening with normal use.
“Many users”

Points to a Reddit that has comments suggesting that somehow heat from charging has cracked it.

Other possibility, they cracked their $3500 device and can’t comprehend it was their fault. 🤷‍♂️

Both theories have the exact same amount of evidence.

Could be a bad batch of glass, but we simply don’t know that yet, nor can we claim this is a widespread issue. But this is the internet so I’m sure this will make its way through the headlines a few times before a cause is actually verified.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
“Many users”

Points to a Reddit that has comments suggesting that somehow heat from charging has cracked it.

Other possibility, they cracked their $3500 device and can’t comprehend it was their fault. 🤷‍♂️

Could be a bad batch of glass, but we simply don’t know that yet, nor can we claim this is a widespread issue. But this is the internet so I’m sure this will make its way through the headlines a few times before a cause is actually verified.
Many is more than 1. /lawyer

Nobody claimed on the reddit thread that it’s a widespread issue, but Apple is charging the person a $300 fee to repair a device that is in a glorified beta stage.

Plus, from an engineering POV, let’s consider the crack. It’s a perfectly neat crack that adds veracity to the person’s story. The fact there’s two now.

I don’t mean this in an odious way, I own one as well.

Edit: Just saw that this is the 4th post on reddit of this issue. Yikes.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
I'm one of the Reddit posters who went to an Apple Store yesterday about this and was told to pay the deductible if I wanted it fixed.

The other thought I just had is, I wonder if the point was weak already and by tightening the solo band made the crack go up further. I have a photo of me wearing it about an hour after opening the box and the crack is there, so I have no idea if it was even there fresh out of the box or happened when I was fitting the Vision Pro to my head, but that might not mean it is a heat issue that some are speculating to be the cause.

sarcasticgamer

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
“Many users”

Uh…heat from charging? So AVP charges through the front glass now and not the separate battery?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Uh…heat from charging? So AVP charges through the front glass now and not the separate battery?
That was my point. The people speculating it’s a charging issue have no understanding of the device, or what kind of heat characteristics this glass has.

The only way I could see heat being the culprit is a massive and quick temperature change, like it going from being kept outside in winter weather then immediately being held in front of a heat gun. No way heat has anything to do with it.

Given the reports, I think we’re going to hear about a bad production batch of cover glass. That will probably effect a few hundred units at most, but get ready for a weeks worth of headlines from click generating “news” organizations.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Many is more than 1. /lawyer

Nobody claimed on the reddit thread that it’s a widespread issue, but Apple is charging the person a $300 fee to repair a device that is in a glorified beta stage.

Plus, from an engineering POV, let’s consider the crack. It’s a perfectly neat crack that adds veracity to the person’s story. The fact there’s two now.

I don’t mean this in an odious way, I own one as well.

Edit: Just saw that this is the 4th post on reddit of this issue. Yikes.
Yup I’ve elaborate more on my thoughts in the thread already. I’m guessing a bad batch that doesn’t meet the QC standards because a machine in the process has drifted out of defined spec.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Just being honest here, if I dropped or busted my AVP, I'd do anything possible to get Apple to foot the (absurd) cost of the repair. I'm guessing that mentality is responsible for at least some of this.

But this device shouldn't be this fragile or costly to repair either, IMO.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
It won’t get to him, but it certainly will get routed to the manufacturing facility rep so QA can be done on that specific machinery this batch was made on.

I heard he (or rather, his team) is actually quite responsive. A few those who experienced these manufacturing defects had mixed experiences at Apple stores simply because the product is so new, and the reports might not have been routed/escalated properly. Tim will at least make sure the appropriate team is aware so an investigation can begin.

Personally, I just want to know how I can avoid this phantom fracture.

Reactions: G5isAlive

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I heard he (or rather, his team) is actually quite responsive. A few those who experienced these manufacturing defects had mixed experiences at Apple stores simply because the product is so new, and the reports might not have been routed/escalated properly. Tim will at least make sure the appropriate team is aware so an investigation can begin.

Personally, I just want to know how I can avoid this phantom fracture.
I’m leaning towards defects, so you’re either in the bad batch or you’re not. Best you can do is continue living your life 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: G5isAlive

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
That was my point. The people speculating it’s a charging issue have no understanding of the device, or what kind of heat characteristics this glass has.

The only way I could see heat being the culprit is a massive and quick temperature change, like it going from being kept outside in winter weather then immediately being held in front of a heat gun. No way heat has anything to do with it.

Given the reports, I think we’re going to hear about a bad production batch of cover glass. That will probably effect a few hundred units at most, but get ready for a weeks worth of headlines from click generating “news” organizations.
Apple, by not giving the user a free repair, is bringing the bad publicity on themselves. They absolutely deserve the news coverage.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Apple, by not giving the user a free repair, is bringing the bad publicity on themselves. They absolutely deserve the news coverage.
I just want them to find out what the issue is and fix it for free if it is not the user‘s fault for the defect. It’s $4k device.

Apple says its best to keep the battery attached to the charging brick even when its not in use.

Charge the Apple Vision Pro battery and check the battery level​

You can use Apple Vision Pro while charging the battery, but be aware of the USB-C Charge Cable as you move around. When you’re syncing with iCloud or using Apple Vision Pro, it may take longer to charge the battery.

Note: When Apple Vision Pro is not in use, it’s best to keep your battery connected to a power outlet, as Apple Vision Pro continues syncing all your messages, mail, photos, and more. This helps ensure your content is up to date, and your battery is full, the next time you put on Apple Vision Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antes and TLewis

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
“Many users”

Your cynicism is misguided.

This happened to mine as well. Perfectly centered crack right above the nose. No point of impact (because it was never dropped or hit). Never had any mishap with the device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.