Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
My guess - A software bug. Hear me out - one time I had the AVP logged in charging and put it into the case. It should be asleep. When I took it out later, it was warm.

Other times I had phantom battery drain. My guess is that the sleep mode isn’t activating, then while plugged in it will allow more cpu headroom, then combined with the cover being put on results in heat with no where to go.

Reactions: seek3r

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
My guess - A software bug. Hear me out - one time I had the AVP logged in charging and put it into the case. It should be asleep. When I took it out later, it was warm.

Other times I had phantom battery drain. My guess is that the sleep mode isn’t activating, then while plugged in it will allow more cpu headroom, then combined with the cover being put on results in heat with no where to go.
Thats as reasonable explanation as any other and would make a lot of sense. Whilst not exactly bug-ridden, VisionOS 1 is far from complete, for example you cannot manually load media onto it from a Mac and it cannot interact with iDevices yet.

Reactions: seek3r

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Hairline crack without point of impact suggests defect.

Remember the leaked iPhone repair guidelines doc? Such damage would be covered.

View attachment 2352090
Unless you need a day to get to apple service and the crack widens a little and is not considered a hairline crack anymore. Then you’re met with a wall of smiles and “technician says no”.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple usually has a diagnostic test that can identify things like this before selling you AppleCare. Plus it’s fraud to buy insurance for an incident that has already occurred.

True, but from what I have seen that diagnosis is not really good at detecting cracks.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Just being honest here, if I dropped or busted my AVP, I'd do anything possible to get Apple to foot the (absurd) cost of the repair. I'm guessing that mentality is responsible for at least some of this.

But this device shouldn't be this fragile or costly to repair either, IMO.
Well, it’s fine if you don’t believe strangers on the internet, but I did not drop this device and I have a crack in the same exact spot (mine is smaller, though). Perfectly clean with no other damage to the device.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015

The thing is even if it is left on, the front shouldn't crack like that under heat

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Unless you are holding a blow torch to it, there is no way this is caused by heat. On the other side it is likely that the device has some flexibility, which probably made worse by tightening the straps. Glass and flexibility don’t get along well.

Reactions: Mescagnus

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
AirPods Pro first gen are notoriously a terrible product. Apple claimed they fixed the issues and were giving out so many free replacements, and even apple care, they eventually told me and I quote, “just buy the new ones they don’t have these issues”, essentially admitting they knew the quality sucked, but refused to replace anymore even though I did nothing to the first 5 pairs that made them all have the exact same issue. I think my issue was far more widespread. This is barely a blip so I doubt they even acknowledge it unless huge tech YouTubers do.
This happened when I brought in my partner's crackling gen 1 Pros. I have had mine replaced so many times for the same issue, but they said there'd be a charge for hers though they were in the affected time period. Very annoying especially for the "Pro" Airpods

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It happened to mine. I called apple. Got the same run around about $300 deductible from supervisor no less. There was no impact and no abrasion of any kind. Had the gray cover on it and it was in the official white case, too. See pics. I was within my return window and he said I need to get it repaired with AppleCare+ first in order to return it.

Attachments

• IMG_4918.jpeg
    IMG_4918.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4920.jpeg
    IMG_4920.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4919.jpeg
    IMG_4919.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 116

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
[sarcasm]
How dare anyone criticize Apple! Tim Cook can do no wrong. Apple made a lot of money in sales from the Vision Pro, so therefore it cannot be bad.
[/sarcasm]

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Very unlikely to be a bad "batch" of glass or whatever. Probably design or material selection issue.

This is clearly a repeating defect where the radius of the glass is the smallest with the largest curvature. Looks like Apple chose a glass material with too much rigidity for a wearable product. Vision Pro is effectively a wearable headband. Aluminum and fabric can bend, but not glass with so many curves.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Very unlikely to be a bad "batch" of glass or whatever. Probably design or material selection issue.

This is clearly a repeating defect where the radius of the glass is the smallest with the largest curvature. Looks like Apple chose a glass material with too much rigidity for a wearable product. Vision Pro is effectively a wearable headband. Aluminum and fabric can bend, but not glass with so many curves.
That makes sense. Too tight of tolerances is an Apple thing

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It happened to mine. I called apple. Got the same run around about $300 deductible from supervisor no less. There was no impact and no abrasion of any kind. Had the gray cover on it and it was in the official white case, too. See pics. I was within my return window and he said I need to get it repaired with AppleCare+ first in order to return it.

Now that this seems to be gaining traction (saw The Verge posted an article), it seems like Apple might have to change their stance on this.

Mikep976

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
"I'd never buy an ugly foldable, that crease, it literally causes global warming, the seas to rise, and kidnaps folks in the night.."

Vision Pro literally starts cracking

"Teehee, now that's just gotta be, you know, user caused and stuffs"

The double standards...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.