Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is simply not true. All manufactured products have failures, it is a normal thing which is why warranties exist. The price of the product or the valuation of the company has no impact on this.

Every car ever made has faults, but the warranty is there to make sure you can get it fixed and keep driving it.

Please do more research on this subject, you will be amazed at the amount of small defects that occur in manufacturing.

There is a level that is acceptable for every product, and since we do not have the data on the percentage of failures, it’s kind of silly to jump to conclusions.

Most $3,500+ products don't have such critical defects that appear within 20 days of launch.

There is no Apple warranty to cover this defect either.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Most $3,500+ products don't have such critical defects that appear within 20 days of launch.

There is no Apple warranty to cover this defect either.

It isn’t a critical defect if the product still works, but either way it is simply not true about expensive products not having defects, and statistically manufacturing defects are most likely to occur within the first 30 days. People have bought expensive Mac Pros and Pro Display XDRs with defects. This is normal in manufacturing at scale, you need to do your research.

Also Apple has already covered this under warranty for some people. It is true that there are a few who were quoted a repair price, and I do agree that’s unacceptable.

As for the warranty, all Apple products (in the USA) come with a one year warranty “against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines”.

So unless you want to say this is not a defect, or that people were not using it normally under the product guidelines, I don’t see how this is not covered under this warranty.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Let’s just wipe away the nonsense pie in the sky talk about things magically resolving themselves over time with no push from people. If no one says anything there is no reason to do anything differently. Powerful companies even Apple has to be pushed to act. Don’t need to defend a trillion dollar company scamming customers out of $300+ in replacement costs for a $4000 device. We don’t know how many actually have cracks or will have cracks. Better to start collecting the data early and keep bringing it forward rather than shaming people into silence or thinking “it’s their fault” or “it’s not an issue” when it clearly is.

I don’t think anyone is saying “don’t tell Apple” about it. But you can thank those who have taken advantage of companies by lying, cheating and stealing from them for being cautious. Apple isn’t the bad guy here. They are being smart.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It isn’t a critical defect if the product still works, but either way it is simply not true about expensive products not having defects, and statistically manufacturing defects are most likely to occur within the first 30 days. People have bought expensive Mac Pros and Pro Display XDRs with defects. This is normal in manufacturing at scale, you need to do your research.

Also Apple has already covered this under warranty for some people. It is true that there are a few who were quoted a repair price, and I do agree that’s unacceptable.

As for the warranty, all Apple products (in the USA) come with a one year warranty “against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines”.

So unless you want to say this is not a defect, or that people were not using it normally under the product guidelines, I don’t see how this is not covered under this warranty.

Expensive products don't tend to have critical defects. I seriously doubt Apple's bar is set so low that a critical defect doesn't include the front glass. Apple ships Vision Pro in a parcel sized box with a front cover and sells a $200 travel case. They clearly want their product pristine.

Apple Store reps making exceptions for a few customers doesn't mean this issue is currently covered under warranty.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Expensive products don't tend to have critical defects. I seriously doubt Apple's bar is set so low that a critical defect doesn't include the front glass. Apple ships Vision Pro in a parcel sized box with a front cover and sells a $200 travel case. They clearly want their product pristine.

Apple Store reps making exceptions for a few customers doesn't mean this issue is currently covered under warranty.
Hey, you STILL don't like the AVP? Imagine that.

As for "critical defects" the term you used, I'm about to take my 2021 BMW 1250 GSA in for its third recall. The idea that "expensive products" don't have defects is a statement you seem to have crafted to fit with your narrative around the Vision Pro.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

As for "critical defects" the term you used, I'm about to take my 2021 BMW 1250 GSA in for its third recall. The idea that "expensive products" don't have defects is a statement you seem to have crafted to fit with your narrative around the Vision Pro.

Was the critical defect in the first 20 days? Please follow the thread.

What's this idea that everyone has to like the Vision Pro? Different consumers will have different takes on the same issue. Imagine that.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I've read the thread. On this particular bike, no, it wasn't in the first 20 days. But the defects were on the bike from the moment I took it off the showroom floor; they just took awhile to be discovered. But I've had expensive items that I've had to return for exchange. It's not uncommon.

Of course you can have different opinions about the AVP. But those of you who come into every thread, day after day, to express your dislike I find particularly odd. Find something you like to spend your time on. It's healthier! ;)

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia

Hey - you want to tell them about New 700 series BMWs where new technology is released and they tend to be at the dealers a lot? I've heard that - as tech matures, it trails down to the lower models. OR - how about the Jaguars that have historically had electrical issues - in the shop more than not I hear. Or or, Land Rovers - where many people won't own them out of warranty as they tend to go in for expensive repairs after.

Some people just don't seem to get it. "New" tech tends to be less reliable and cost more than mature tech.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Some people just don't seem to get it. "New" tech tends to be less reliable and cost more than mature tech.

Also some cheaper products can often be far more reliable than more expensive ones.
This makes sense if you think about it.
It you are making an expensive product then it could be more complex or use more delicate parts etc etc.

If you want to make a basic standard model that will be sold in the millions to normal consumers, you don't want millions coming back with faults, so you can really go to town with making something as bullet proof as possible.

Reactions: G5isAlive

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

View attachment 2352040

Apple should be covering these cracks for free. That is a significant product defect. Many users are reporting this issue is happening with normal use.
Apple Goggle or iGoggle (AVP is a computing goggle) is an infant product that is vulnerable to be defective or get damaged. It is very common for every infant, pilot or beta/testing product to get damaged easily. Buyers should consult with Apple Support for proper maintenance or use to prevent from any damaging actions or situations. I am sure Apple knows this, hence the Apple Care plus and the repair costs are very high. Keep calm, consult with Apple Supports for proper uses and maintenance, take extra care of iGoggle, do not get too excited with anything on social medias and be happy😊 Life is too short to be unhappy😊.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Also some cheaper products can often be far more reliable than more expensive ones.
This makes sense if you think about it.
It you are making an expensive product then it could be more complex or use more delicate parts etc etc.

If you want to make a basic standard model that will be sold in the millions to normal consumers, you don't want millions coming back with faults, so you can really go to town with making something as bullet proof as possible.

My perception is the cheaper products tend to come from the more expensive ones. After the tech pans out, kinks worked out, they can mass produce a somewhat reliable product. It may not be as advanced, but close. So future VPs may be lower cost - like an air version. But it won't have what the pro version has. Screens not as detailed, an older processor, etc.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Hey - you want to tell them about New 700 series BMWs where new technology is released and they tend to be at the dealers a lot? I've heard that - as tech matures, it trails down to the lower models. OR - how about the Jaguars that have historically had electrical issues - in the shop more than not I hear. Or or, Land Rovers - where many people won't own them out of warranty as they tend to go in for expensive repairs after.

Great examples! I also try to look at the pattern. For me, Apple has had a great track record. I did have one iPhone (iPhone 7) that ran hot. I walked into Apple and walked out with a new iPhone in about 20 minutes. It’s not about being perfect. It’s about how you handle issues. That experience made me like Apple more, not less.

I see a lot of posts that try to attach meaning. If Apple has problem xyz it means they’re spiraling downhill. How about we just say they have this xyz problem. Personally, I don’t need someone’s gut reaction to help me understand what that means.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Let's think at the most basic level of the design for a moment.
Right at the simple fundamental level.
So we have a rounded rectangle which goes across the front of your face.
This has a piece of rigid glass fitted to aluminium over the front.
At the sides of this glass and aluminium. Is a strap which goes around the back of your head.
And by official design you are supposed to tighten this strap with enough force to pull the aluminium and glass against your face with enough force so that it stays firmly in place and does not slip down.
Now think about this for a second and understand why this is fundamentally a dumb concept to put something like shaped glass under tension this way, pulling it from its sides and knowing it's going to heat up and cool down constantly.
It's really not a good choice of materials and shapes of such materials to be used in this manner.
Again we are going for an artistic look over practical function.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Let's think at the most basic level of the design for a moment.
Right at the simple fundamental level.
So we have a rounded rectangle which goes across the front of your face.
This has a piece of rigid glass fitted to aluminium over the front.
At the sides of this glass and aluminium. Is a strap which goes around the back of your head.
And by official design you are supposed to tighten this strap with enough force to pull the aluminium and glass against your face with enough force so that it stays firmly in place and does not slip down.
Now think about this for a second and understand why this is fundamentally a dumb concept to put something like shaped glass under tension this way, pulling it from its sides and knowing it's going to heat up and cool down constantly.
It's really not a good choice of materials and shapes of such materials to be used in this manner.
Again we are going for an artistic look over practical function.

I think the flaw in your theory is the aluminum doesn’t bend. And if you were to use enough force on the straps to bend the aluminum, the VP would be so tight against your face, you’d probable make permanent scars.

The other thing is the front piece is a combination of plastic and glass. Glass, as anyone with a few thousand watts of bass through multiple 12” woofers can attest to, glass bends. Another testament that glass bends is “bend gate” on one of the earlier iPhones. I don’t recall many reporting glass cracking.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
I wanted to post a little update on my experience. I finally was able to make it to an Apple store for a 2nd appointment. Today, they did a diagnostic and said that the crack is listed as covered under warranty. They checked it in and I should have either a fixed or replaced unit in about a week. Obviously a swap would have been nicer, but I'm glad they are covering it now for the few of us that have had this issue. The crack on mine did eventually go all the way up over the last 3 weeks.

IMG_4196.jpeg
IMG_4399.jpeg

p4ttythep3rf3ct

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
What stuck out to me when this surfaced was that every single story about this started with 'When I took this out of my case..." Makes me wonder if people were charinging it in the case or whatever. Shouldn't happen, still, just something that stuck out to me.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
What stuck out to me when this surfaced was that every single story about this started with 'When I took this out of my case..." Makes me wonder if people were charinging it in the case or whatever. Shouldn't happen, still, just something that stuck out to me.
Mine is an example of not using the case and was one of the first reports before the news sites picked up the story. I didn't even get a case until after my first appointment because I wanted to see the travel case in person before I decided to spend that kind of money on a case.

MockT

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2024
I wanted to post a little update on my experience. I finally was able to make it to an Apple store for a 2nd appointment. Today, they did a diagnostic and said that the crack is listed as covered under warranty. They checked it in and I should have either a fixed or replaced unit in about a week. Obviously a swap would have been nicer, but I'm glad they are covering it now for the few of us that have had this issue. The crack on mine did eventually go all the way up over the last 3 weeks.
Ludicrous that they're not letting you walk out with a new unit.

The speakers on mine stopped working after 10 days and they offered a straight swap.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
Ludicrous that they're not letting you walk out with a new unit.

The speakers on mine stopped working after 10 days and they offered a straight swap.
Would definitely have been nice.

At least, like typical Apple, they've under promised and over delivered. The following day, they've either fixed it or sent out a replacement with UPS overnight, so I am scheduled to have it back this Monday. Rather than waiting a week without my unit, it is only a weekend.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

View attachment 2359102 View attachment 2359103
When did you buy yours? Is it a launch period unit or did it come after?

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Yes, it was a launch day unit.

My replacement came today and so far so good. I really think with how small the reported sample is, that this happened to just be a bad small batch.
Can I ask which band you were using? The cracking looks like a stress fracture from over-tightening the solo knit band which would put pressure on the weakest point of the glass, ie the bridge of your nose. The dual loop band would redistribute the weight and make it less likely to happen.

Reactions: Disher

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
Can I ask which band you were using? The cracking looks like a stress fracture from over-tightening the solo knit band which would put pressure on the weakest point of the glass, ie the bridge of your nose. The dual loop band would redistribute the weight and make it less likely to happen.
I think like most, I tried the solo band out of the box. I wasn't looking for a crack when I opened it since it hadn't been reported yet About an hour after opening the box, I took a photo of myself wearing it and that is when I noticed the crack. My theory is that the weak point or small crack was already there and then tightening the solo band probably made it go further up the glass to where it was noticeable to eventually go all the way up.

I've been using the replacement with the solo band for almost 24 hours now and so far so good.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

View attachment 2359102 View attachment 2359103

Thanks for the update, providing real data rather than speculation. It's been about a month since this news hit the fan, and so many were speculating about major flaws on all units, and shame on apple for not covering it under warrantee... yours was one of the few credible accounts then. Since then, well we have not seen an avalanche of failed units, and look, apple covered it under warrantee! shock. People need to chill and give time for more data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.