Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exmophie

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
Well, we need more cases or otherwise, Apple will ignore users.
Sales and hype on this product is so weak they will probably address this fast to quell the online conversation from growing. They're probably assessing right now if acknowledging the flaw will be more of a punch to the gut (wallet) or the face (brand).

Reactions: Larsvonhier

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Sales and hype on this product is so weak they will probably address this fast to quell the online conversation from growing. They're probably assessing right now if acknowledging the flaw will be more of a punch to the gut (wallet) or the face (brand).
The flaw is likely a bad batch of glass because one of the production machines drifted out of spec.

This is how manufacturing works. At worst there’s a few batches that have a flaw in the glass, as noted earlier in the thread this exact flaw was addressed on one of the iPhones years back. The cause is not a design flaw, but a manufacturing issue.

If we start seeing hundreds of this issue, then you can start entertaining a design flaw. Because it’s seemingly a handful of devices (so far) that points to a bad batch run. So the equipment gets readjusted to spec and life goes on.

It’s too soon to call this a problem with the design of the AVP.

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009

View attachment 2352040

Apple should be covering these cracks for free. That is a significant product defect. Many users are reporting this issue is happening with normal use.
I mean, what did you expect buying a 1st generation device that, according to its specs, wasn’t even intended for regular consumers? I tried to warn people as much as I could, but there was no stopping them.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
On what basis are you accusing Apple of “digging their heels in”? Are you privy to the communication between the company and the individual?
Well, we are privy: most -- but not all -- individuals who have reported the problem here and on reddit have had Apple say that this is not covered under warranty and that individuals must pay for repairs. I've only seen one report where the individual said that Apple covered it under warranty. (So far, at least. We do hope that Apple will change their minds.)

Seriously, you only need read the complaints.

Reactions: mpetrides

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
It happened to mine. I called apple. Got the same run around about $300 deductible from supervisor no less. There was no impact and no abrasion of any kind. Had the gray cover on it and it was in the official white case, too. See pics. I was within my return window and he said I need to get it repaired with AppleCare+ first in order to return it.

The $300 deductible gets you most of the way to a Meta Quest 3. Kinda crazy

TravelsInBlue

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2020
Lots of armchair manufacturing engineers chiming in and others coping here.

When you strap these to your head, the unit is going to flex ever so slightly, even if you can’t notice it. This was probably only mildly accounted for, and the front glass is cracking due to being brittle and not being able to withstand the slightest bend.

Yeah it’s likely a design flaw again caused by Apple overthinking and attempting to reinvent the wheel.

Yeah I’d be upset if I owned one of these too, but again as it stands right now it’s a pretty terrible product so I wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Being overengineered does not a compelling product make.

This is going to be the butterfly keyboard all over again where you have Apple apologists claiming “It’s not an issue because it’s never happened to me” when clearly there’s a design flaw with a high failure rate and it just hasn’t happened to them (yet.)

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC

When you strap these to your head, the unit is going to flex ever so slightly, even if you can’t notice it. This was probably only mildly accounted for, and the front glass is cracking due to being brittle and not being able to withstand the slightest bend.

Yeah it’s likely a design flaw again caused by Apple overthinking and attempting to reinvent the wheel.

Yeah I’d be upset if I owned one of these too, but again as it stands right now it’s a pretty terrible product so I wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Being overengineered does not a compelling product make.

This is going to be the butterfly keyboard all over again where you have Apple apologists claiming “It’s not an issue because it’s never happened to me” when clearly there’s a design flaw with a high failure rate and it just hasn’t happened to them (yet.)
Says “lots of armchair manufacturing engineers in here” then proceeds to armchair engineer by assuming Apple’s engineers didn’t test/account for flexing. :rolleyes: I’m sure your opinion that “it’s a pretty terrible product” has nothing to do with your assumptions that it’s a design flaw and not a manufacturing issue.

No one outside of Apple knows 1) how widespread it is and 2) if it’s a defect or design issue. I’m confident Apple will eventually make it right regardless.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Says “lots of armchair manufacturing engineers in here” then proceeds to armchair engineer by assuming Apple’s engineers didn’t test/account for flexing. :rolleyes: I’m sure your opinion that “it’s a pretty terrible product” has nothing to do with your assumptions that it’s a design flaw and not a manufacturing issue.

No one outside of Apple knows 1) how widespread it is and 2) if it’s a defect or design issue. I’m confident Apple will eventually make it right regardless.
I agree with this take. I hope Apple makes it right sooner than later.

Reactions: Catasstrophy

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I rememeber a few "special" ones that used to deliberately seek out problem threads, just to post that their device doesn't have any issues. As in, a whole big bunch of problem threads. I also remember those same people saying they wanted a sub forum to only praise devices lol.

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
AFTER they were taken to court over both blunders, that they tried to ignore.

Yes Apple will cover it with no hassle, as long as a court forces them to.

It'll take external pressure (lawyers, media, etc) - Apple's not going to start fixing what initially looks like damage unless it's shown to be a defect. But if it's a defect, I expect Apple will be quick to fix it. AVP isn't a mature product with a bunch of goodwill built in - if this is indeed a thing they'll want to get ahead of it ASAP.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Also it presumably wakes up during sleep to do stuff in the background.
If it wakes up during sleep and can't cool itself, it should thermal throttle / turn back off.

I would never keep the cover on while the battery is connected otherwise you’re going to block the vents and intakes and the whole thing is going to get very hot until the CPU just thermally throttles.

I leave my Vision Pro on the charger when it is not currently in use. This seems like a perfectly normal and expected behavior.

If I can't put the cover on my Vision Pro when it's not in use, what is even the point of the cover?

I suppose I could disconnect the battery from the vision pro before plugging it in to charge. However, the design of the battery connector on the vision pro side indicates it's not supposed to be unplugged. Also, what would then be the point of the vision pro waking up from sleep to do stuff in the background (if this is in fact a thing)?

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

Ah, so you're the lead armchair engineer?

Reactions: Catasstrophy

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The flaw is likely a bad batch of glass because one of the production machines drifted out of spec.

This is how manufacturing works. At worst there’s a few batches that have a flaw in the glass, as noted earlier in the thread this exact flaw was addressed on one of the iPhones years back. The cause is not a design flaw, but a manufacturing issue.

If we start seeing hundreds of this issue, then you can start entertaining a design flaw. Because it’s seemingly a handful of devices (so far) that points to a bad batch run. So the equipment gets readjusted to spec and life goes on.

It’s too soon to call this a problem with the design of the AVP.

In general, during new product introduction, Apple watches their suppliers like a hawk and assign staff on the assembly line. They know this is the critical phase during ramp. It's after the ramp phase where suppliers and Apple are more lax.

If you check the service programs, you'll see this is generally the case. The defects show up after the initial ramp period.

The probability of a machine drifting out of spec so quickly seems so unlikely, especially given the low production volumes. The M2 and R1 chips in Vision Pro have date codes that indicate May 2023 and July 2023. So Apple clearly wasn't rushing to produce them.

hKtBAuLOKI6ZFJmO.jpg

For this glass crack issue, it probably won't show up until devices go through more tightening/loosening cycles from daily use.

Reactions: MockT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.