Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Thanks for the update, providing real data rather than speculation. It's been about a month since this news hit the fan, and so many were speculating about major flaws on all units, and shame on apple for not covering it under warrantee... yours was one of the few credible accounts then. Since then, well we have not seen an avalanche of failed units, and look, apple covered it under warrantee! shock. People need to chill and give time for more data.
The reason why Apple would have initially refused would be because they had not yet identified the batch as defective. Internally, once they’ve done that through their plant managers, the Genius workers are now allowed by the system to cover it under the warranty.

In other words, exactly how it works for any other mass manufactured product.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The reason why Apple would have initially refused would be because they had not yet identified the batch as defective. Internally, once they’ve done that through their plant managers, the Genius workers are now allowed by the system to cover it under the warranty.

In other words, exactly how it works for any other mass manufactured product.

Yep. Thanks for making my point better for me. I was suggesting that those who cried the sky was falling down needed to chill and give Apple time to analyze the situation. Thats what I said at the time, and the data we have now supports that. I get tired of all these knee jerk reactions.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yep. Thanks for making my point better for me. I was suggesting that those who cried the sky was falling down needed to chill and give Apple time to analyze the situation. Thats what I said at the time, and the data we have now supports that. I get tired of all these knee jerk reactions.
Yup, my comments said as much at the beginning of this thread.

No one is getting a warranty replacement for a product that’s been out for a week. The production issue has to be identified first, then anyone that comes in with a serial number that matches the known bad batch will get coverage. Mass manufacturing is complex, there’s no way for a Genius Bar person to be able to distinguish a bad batch of glass on their own vs a manufacturing defect but this forums was acting like Apple was going out of their way to screw people.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I just curious if people are still experiencing issues with crack gate. I'm on the fence to purchase a vision pro (i returned it after 2 weeks) so I wanted to understand if this is a bigger issue than it seems or just an anomaly.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I just curious if people are still experiencing issues with crack gate. I'm on the fence to purchase a vision pro (i returned it after 2 weeks) so I wanted to understand if this is a bigger issue than it seems or just an anomaly.

As an owner of an AVP I keep watching for any new word, and it’s been quiet. So far a limited anomaly.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

bryanhalpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I just had the "crack gate" problem. Little crack started to form right by the nose bridge area, right in the middle of the front glass. It was a perfect line. I brought it to the Apple Store and initially they were going to just send it in for repair and I would get it back within a few days, covered by warranty IF the repair center deemed it so. But then the Apple Store had the same model I purchased initially on launch day (I am way outside the return window) and they just gave me a brand new unit with new accessories and I gave them all my old unit stuff. Didn't pay anything out of pocket and was covered under the manufactuer's warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 61

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've been using mine literally almost every day since launch for hours at a time. It gets pretty warm to the touch, as I usually have it running a lot of apps at once during use. I have not charged it while sitting in its case, but I do always put the cover right back on it after taking it off and setting it down on my desk, and I imagine that makes heat dissipation a little more challenging.

I have not developed any cracks or anything that looks like the start of one on my Vision Pro with heavy use. I will admit I've even accidentally had it bump down onto my desk (a very short distance--maybe a mm or 2), once with the cover on and once without, and it sustained no damage, cracks, or anything else.

I'm convinced that there was a batch of poorly made front glass that unfortunately got out the door on shipping units--there's too much photo evidence at this point to indicate anything otherwise. I'm pretty sure my personal Vision Pro is ok, but I have to admit, I still think about this issue and continue to hope it doesn't plague me before I upgrade to Vision Pro 2. :p

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I've been using mine literally almost every day since launch for hours at a time. It gets pretty warm to the touch, as I usually have it running a lot of apps at once during use. I have not charged it while sitting in its case, but I do always put the cover right back on it after taking it off and setting it down on my desk, and I imagine that makes heat dissipation a little more challenging.

I have not developed any cracks or anything that looks like the start of one on my Vision Pro with heavy use. I will admit I've even accidentally had it bump down onto my desk (a very short distance--maybe a mm or 2), once with the cover on and once without, and it sustained no damage, cracks, or anything else.

I'm convinced that there was a batch of poorly made front glass that unfortunately got out the door on shipping units--there's too much photo evidence at this point to indicate anything otherwise. I'm pretty sure my personal Vision Pro is ok, but I have to admit, I still think about this issue and continue to hope it doesn't plague me before I upgrade to Vision Pro 2. :p
Well, your facts and logic coupled with your helpful personal experience with Vision Pro certainly throw a giant wet blanket on those of us simply wanting to enjoy some smug schadenfreude. 🤭

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.