Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
It doesn’t make sense for Apple to immediately agree to fix cracks like this. And those who are paying for the repair, there’s a great chance you’ll get your money back.

Based on the video with the guy smashing his head against the wall and dropping it from many distances, it’s pretty strong/resilient. Would take a lot to smash it So what would cause a crack like that? It will be figured out if enough people have the issue.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Next time, don’t spend $3500 on a beta product. I love Apple and think the potential of this product is incredible, but it’s annoying when people put on those rose tinted glasses and expect perfection first time around

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
If it wakes up during sleep and can't cool itself, it should thermal throttle / turn back off.

I leave my Vision Pro on the charger when it is not currently in use. This seems like a perfectly normal and expected behavior.

If I can't put the cover on my Vision Pro when it's not in use, what is even the point of the cover?

I suppose I could disconnect the battery from the vision pro before plugging it in to charge. However, the design of the battery connector on the vision pro side indicates it's not supposed to be unplugged. Also, what would then be the point of the vision pro waking up from sleep to do stuff in the background (if this is in fact a thing)?
You're not wrong on what you *should* be able to do. You do you.

Personally I don't trust visionOS to not be buggy right now. When I pick it up after it's just sitting around - "sleeping" - its sometimes very warm.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
You're not wrong on what you *should* be able to do. You do you.

That's fair, the software may not be working properly.

Although, if this is in fact what is causing the glass to crack, Apple should definitely be offerring free repairs! They're probably legally obligated to offer free repairs, for that matter.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
People get so weird about stuff like this. It's a crack in a peculiar spot on a particularly complex piece of curved glass. It's either a small batch of parts with a deficiency or a larger flaw in a bigger batch of parts only being revealed by the mass production stage.

No need to bend over backwards trying to charge it differently, use it differently, or loosen the strap. The problem is not you. If you see a crack, take it in or if it doesn't affect functionality then wait until they announce a more formal replacement program. It might turn out to be more than just a few units, but right now it doesn't seem very widespread. To suggest that the Vision Pro needs very careful management of temperature, charging, or strap tightness to remain undamaged is really over the top, lol.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
People get so weird about stuff like this. It's a crack in a peculiar spot on a particularly complex piece of curved glass. It's either a small batch of parts with a deficiency or a larger flaw in a bigger batch of parts only being revealed by the mass production stage.

No need to bend over backwards trying to charge it differently, use it differently, or loosen the strap. The problem is not you. If you see a crack, take it in or if it doesn't affect functionality then wait until they announce a more formal replacement program. It might turn out to be more than just a few units, but right now it doesn't seem very widespread. To suggest that the Vision Pro needs very careful management of temperature, charging, or strap tightness to remain undamaged is really over the top, lol.
I agree, but I do'nt think anyone is saying you should do X, Y, or Z because you *need* to. Sure Apple will recognize and address/remediate - eventually. Until then, it's not unreasonable for some folks to be a little extra careful. Right now, if this happens to you, you're our your VP while it's under repair and at least an extra $800 (whether you bought Apple Care or not)

Richu

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2021

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Gate!

Every product defect is nowadays deemed significant enough to be equated to the political watergate scandal.

Making molehills into mountains.
It’s, dare we say, Gate Gate! Ugh, I’m embarrassed for myself for even typing that. ☺️😳🤪

But for what it’s worth, I agree with you.

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024
Gate!

Every product defect is nowadays deemed significant enough to be equated to the political watergate scandal.

Applies to everything except political scandals which actually equate to watergate 😂

Reactions: Richu

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Yep no sense worrying about it. It could happen at anytime for any avp. It’s a design flaw. Apple will have to cover it eventually but in meantime don’t pay for a repair. One Apple Store has already said it’s a known issue and will need to ship it for repair. Swapping out isn’t available.

It’s all part of the gen 1 experience.

Reactions: DaPhox

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Yep no sense worrying about it. It could happen at anytime for any avp. It’s a design flaw. Apple will have to cover it eventually but in meantime don’t pay for a repair. One Apple Store has already said it’s a known issue and will need to ship it for repair. Swapping out isn’t available.

It’s all part of the gen 1 experience.

But with a product that costs thousands from a multi billion dollar company, it shouldn’t be the experience

• Haha

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
But with a product that costs thousands from a multi billion dollar company, it shouldn’t be the experience

This is simply not true. All manufactured products have failures, it is a normal thing which is why warranties exist. The price of the product or the valuation of the company has no impact on this.

Every car ever made has faults, but the warranty is there to make sure you can get it fixed and keep driving it.

Please do more research on this subject, you will be amazed at the amount of small defects that occur in manufacturing.

There is a level that is acceptable for every product, and since we do not have the data on the percentage of failures, it’s kind of silly to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Gate!

Apple is the one who chose to charge people $300. so it is a mountain.

• Sad

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
For sure!

It’s right there with other important scandals such as the expensive golf clubs that had manufacturing issues and the luxury SUV that broke. Stop the presses!
It’s an Apple product forum. Within the obvious context of the discussion on AVP in the AVP forum on MacRumors of all places… its a mountain. Heaven forbid people get what they paid for without defects. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I dont understand you people who come to an AVP forum on MacRumors website to make your political points about what is and isnt important in the grand scheme of life in general... However if we are no longer allowed to demand getting what you paid for without someone else having something to say about it…. thats also a mountain because of the principle.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
This is simply not true. All manufactured products have failures, it is a normal thing which is why warranties exist. The price of the product or the valuation of the company has no impact on this.

Every car ever made has faults, but the warranty is there to make sure you can get it fixed and keep driving it.

Please do more research on this subject, you will be amazed at the amount of small defects that occur in manufacturing.

There is a level that is acceptable for every product, and since we do not have the data on the percentage of failures, it’s kind of silly to jump to conclusions.
Except Apple is not covering this under warranty. Until then, i think this is a moot point and it remains the case that Apple is asking for $800 from people who bought a premium ~$4000 product to fix a manufacturing defect.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Except Apple is not covering this under warranty. Until then, i think this is a moot point and it remains the case that Apple is asking for $800 from people who bought a premium ~$4000 product to fix a manufacturing defect.

Yes it is being fixed under warranty, as long as there is no obvious point of impact this will be replaced.

I do suspect though it will happen again however

• Sad
Reactions: DaPhox

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Yes it is being fixed under warranty, as long as there is no obvious point of impact this will be replaced.

I do suspect though it will happen again however
That is 100% not true. Apple has not acknowledged this as a manufacturing defect, so it is up to the sole discretion of whomoever you speak with at Apple when you report the issue. As the majority of people have reported, they are being instructed they have no option but to pay to have the front glass replaced ($800, or $300 AppleCare deductible)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I dont understand you people who come to an AVP forum on MacRumors website to make your political points about what is and isnt important in the grand scheme of life in general... However if we are no longer allowed to demand getting what you paid for without someone else having something to say about it…. thats also a mountain because of the principle.

Because not even Apple or Apple customers live in a bubble. We exist in the real world. And so real world guidelines plays into what some call common sense. There is no such thing as perfection, yet some entitled customers expect it. Well I have a bridge to sell you. The original point was this was a first gen product, and like all first gen products regardless of cost, there are going to be some kinks to iron out. If you dont want to be part of that cycle, don't jump in or you will be disappointed. As for this particular issue, it's just too few cases to know if this is a design flaw or a manufacturing issue. The resolution of which will be very different depending on how this plays out. Time will provide more data, until then, no reason to get our shorts in a twist. People did get what they paid for, an Apple Vision Pro. No principle here until we know their response.

• Love
Reactions: fatTribble

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
The original point was this was a first gen product, and like all first gen products regardless of cost, there are going to be some kinks to iron out. If you dont want to be part of that cycle, don't jump in or you will be disappointed.
You're not wrong, but that isn't the point.

The resolution of which will be very different depending on how this plays out. Time will provide more data, until then, no reason to get our shorts in a twist. People did get what they paid for, an Apple Vision Pro. No principle here until we know their response.
The point is that Apple currently makes most people affected by this to pay for the "repairs" themselves. It doesn't matter if this is a manufacturing error or a design defect. Apple should not be asking users to pay for this.

Had Apple covered this under warranty (and Apple has apparently done this for a very lucky few), this would be a complete non-issue and no one would care. Yet here we are.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
You're not wrong, but that isn't the point.

The point is that Apple currently makes most people affected by this to pay for the "repairs" themselves. It doesn't matter if this is a manufacturing error or a design defect. Apple should not be asking users to pay for this.

Had Apple covered this under warranty (and Apple has apparently done this for a very lucky few), this would be a complete non-issue and no one would care. Yet here we are.
Can you tell me how many most people are that we debate this as if its was a hill worth dying on? Can you say with confidence that if this is found to be a manufacturing error or design that apple wont compensate them?

But you say this doesnt matter, Apple should just pay. But if its not a manufacturing error or design effect that leaves operator mishandling. I am NOT saying I think that is what it is, just following what YOU are saying. If the operator breaks it apple should pay for it.

Say what?

But what about Apple Care? We all read the rules when we agreed to play. Do i like the rules? Not really. Did I accept them. Yes. And so did all the rest. If it’s Apple’s fault, history suggests they will compensate folks one way or the other. If it’s not Apple’s fault, then there we are.

Real life is not a participation trophy. Just because we want things to be different doesn't mean they should or would be.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
As for this particular issue, it's just too few cases to know if this is a design flaw or a manufacturing issue. The resolution of which will be very different depending on how this plays out. Time will provide more data, until then, no reason to get our shorts in a twist. People did get what they paid for, an Apple Vision Pro. No principle here until we know their response.
Let’s just wipe away the nonsense pie in the sky talk about things magically resolving themselves over time with no push from people. If no one says anything there is no reason to do anything differently. Powerful companies even Apple has to be pushed to act. Don’t need to defend a trillion dollar company scamming customers out of $300+ in replacement costs for a $4000 device. We don’t know how many actually have cracks or will have cracks. Better to start collecting the data early and keep bringing it forward rather than shaming people into silence or thinking “it’s their fault” or “it’s not an issue” when it clearly is.

• Sad

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Let’s just wipe away the nonsense pie in the sky talk about things magically resolving themselves over time with no push from people. If no one says anything there is no reason to do anything differently. Powerful companies even Apple has to be pushed to act. Don’t need to defend a trillion dollar company scamming customers out of $300+ in replacement costs for a $4000 device. We don’t know how many actually have cracks or will have cracks. Better to start collecting the data early and keep bringing it forward rather than shaming people into silence or thinking “it’s their fault” or “it’s not an issue” when it clearly is.

Who said anything about magic? We are talking numbers here, statistics, non conformance investigations. No one is shaming anyone into silence. Simply saying get the facts before climbing on the 'all bad companies are evil' box.

Complaining without substance won't change anything. But sure, talk about nonsense. :)

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Are you suggesting that once Apple looks at the number of claims for a cracked display, their decision as to whether it’s covered fully under warranty will be influenced by forums? Sorry, if I’m interpreting that wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.