Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
I might have, I don’t remember specifically. And if I did…that’s still a defect. Nowhere does it say you can’t charge it while the cover is on the device.

I totally agree - Apple should definitely cover this under the warranty, especially when their own support documentation advises the battery be left connected to enable sync, notifications, etc.

The fact that the crack occurs in the same spot on at least 6 different devices suggests a pattern to me.

Just trying to figure out what I need to do to avoid the crack 😅

Edit: Also, let us know how the genius bar visit goes tomorrow... good luck!

Last edited:

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Out of curiosity, did you keep the front cover on while the AVP was connected to the battery?
Agree this is a very interesting detail to keep an eye on as people experience this. The AVP is a computer - and unlike a phone or iPad it needs cooling and system TDP is more like a notebook. Also it presumably wakes up during sleep to do stuff in the background. I would never keep the cover on while the battery is connected otherwise you’re going to block the vents and intakes and the whole thing is going to get very hot until the CPU just thermally throttles. Presumably after making the whole thing quite warm inside the cover.

To be clear: none of this is to blame users - I still think it’s a defect.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
Agree this is a very interesting detail to keep an eye on as people experience this. The AVP is a computer - and unlike a phone or iPad it needs cooling and system TDP is more like a notebook. Also it presumably wakes up during sleep to do stuff in the background. I would never keep the cover on while the battery is connected otherwise you’re going to block the vents and intakes and the whole thing is going to get very hot until the CPU just thermally throttles. Presumably after making the whole thing quite warm inside the cover.

To be clear: none of this is to blame users - I still think it’s a defect.

I wonder if they could push out some sort of software update so if the cameras detect the front cover, it essentially shuts off avoid overheating? I don't see the need for background syncing and notifications until the AVP is back on my head.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
Personally, I dont see the point of using the front glass/plastic and screen. It only increase the fragile part and weight after all.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I agree that Apple should cover it but you’re going to need to see more than just a handful or even a hundred or two who have the problem before Apple is going to open that potential can of worms. If they don’t and this effects a meaningful percentage of devices then I smell a class action lawsuit waiting to be filed if they don’t cover it and it’s found to be a manufacturing defect …..

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I agree that Apple should cover it but you’re going to need to see more than just a handful or even a hundred or two who have the problem before Apple is going to open that potential can of worms. If they don’t and this effects a meaningful percentage of devices then I smell a class action lawsuit waiting to be filed if they don’t cover it and it’s found to be a manufacturing defect …..
I don’t think they need to do anything drastic other than cover the replacement/fix.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
While this might only affect a small number of people, the cracks all appear to be hairline cracks in the exact same location, and appear to differ only in length. There's is no indication whatsoever of an impact in any picture. That hints of a manufacturing defect (or a design defect, heaven forbid), and Apple should probably be covering these under warranty. However, Apple is digging their heels in and saying that this is user-caused damage, and so the user must pay for any repairs (a $300 deductible, in the case of Applecare+, $800 without).

Had Apple not done that, this would be a complete non-story.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
While this might only affect a small number of people, the cracks all appear to be hairline cracks in the exact same location, and appear to differ only in length. There's is no indication whatsoever of an impact in any picture. That hints of a manufacturing defect (or a design defect, heaven forbid), and Apple should probably be covering these under warranty. However, Apple is digging their heels in and saying that this is user-caused damage, and so the user must pay for any repairs (a $300 deductible, in the case of Applecare+, $800 without).

..and I wouldn’t have reported it.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Those folks should really be more careful handling an expensive device like Apple Vision Pro. It is made of glass after all or some kind a variant of glass, glass, brakes, or cracks if mishandled. Duh! It’s not meant to fall on the floor be hit hard, skateboarding on the streets of New York, riding a crowded subway car or whatever these fools are doing to it. HANDLE WITH CARE.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Many is more than 1. /lawyer
FWIW to be pedantic for a sec typically “few” is too, but “few users are having these problems” doesnt have the same ring to it. Just because something is reported by multiple people doesnt make it widespread, but “many” does connote that it is, the word choice matters

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
AirPods Pro first gen are notoriously a terrible product. Apple claimed they fixed the issues and were giving out so many free replacements, and even apple care, they eventually told me and I quote, “just buy the new ones they don’t have these issues”, essentially admitting they knew the quality sucked, but refused to replace anymore even though I did nothing to the first 5 pairs that made them all have the exact same issue. I think my issue was far more widespread. This is barely a blip so I doubt they even acknowledge it unless huge tech YouTubers do.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA

On what basis are you accusing Apple of “digging their heels in”? Are you privy to the communication between the company and the individual?

You and others need to step back and allow these events play out before judging the situation.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
First I’ve heard of this issue, but that crack doesn’t look like from a drop.

OP, couldn’t you still technically just add AppleCare?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
First I’ve heard of this issue, but that crack doesn’t look like from a drop.

OP, couldn’t you still technically just add AppleCare?

Apple usually has a diagnostic test that can identify things like this before selling you AppleCare. Plus it’s fraud to buy insurance for an incident that has already occurred.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.