Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Yes, that was actually my issue with it as well. I used the Panorama function a few times when it was new, but not since then. As a result, all the panorama photos I have are of significantly lower quality compared to what the 15 Pro can produce now. This is a bit disappointing, especially when using the headset.

I guess Apple should have been reminding us of this feature each year haha

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Picked up the Vision Pro yesterday. Also ordered the Quest 3 to compare.
the Q3 is much much better than the Q2 but AVP blows it out of the water.

1) user interface: I love and after set up can manipulate everything very rapidly without even thinking.
I do think it’s imp to set it up correctly . I had to do it twice.

2) Picture quality on this is incredible. Except for much older movies and Netflix via Safari. Which is a bummer.

3) I did not have high expectations of the pass through like a lot of people who are complaining. But I can see things clearly. Can read my phone and interact w my environment no problem. Not sure why it needs to HD quality

4) Apps: Limited for now but I expect that to change.
my fav is to watch movies or TV in the GOT throne room on Max. Watched the clip where Daenerys torches the space masters. 😁
Had the messages News apps open along w a video. Totally awesome. I use voice more than anything. But looking and pinching works well too.

5) Comfort. This is the big big problem. It was a big problem w the quest head sets as well. I could only tolerate the Q2 by lying down on a couch and watch.
I used the double strap. Hooked a belt into the back strap and yanked it down like a pulley to take the weight off the front of my face.
Hoping custom made solutions will arrive shortly.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
How is everyone feeling after about a week with the Apple Vision Pro?

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008

Already posted this elsewhere, but my impressions after one day

1. The display and lenses are a big step forward, but not "retina". While there is no screen door effect, there just aren't enough pixels yet for me. The "retina" moment is yet to come, this feels more like the "HD" moment. I am reading this now and it looks like a monitor from 2006. There is a sort of vibrating aliasing going on around the text. When you are looking at small stuff like text, you get the sense that the display is not rock solid, everything is wobbling around ever so slightly. The lenses and FOV are ok but not a truly meaningful improvement over what we've already seen apart from the bad old fresnel lenses. There is absolutely eye strain. There is blur over the entire screen anytime you move. Pass through is really good, I didn't expect to see reality through cameras, this does the job.

2. The UI overall is annoying. Hand tracking frequently fails or has false positives. Launching apps by pressing the digital crown is a painful way to launch apps, you feel the device shift on your face and it's too slow and out of the way. Window management is a mess, and gives you a bit too much freedom. I figured out only after a couple hours that you don't want any of them too far away. Keep them close.

3. Typing is an awful experience. It pops the keyboard right in your face, blocking your content, every time you select a text field. Moving the cursor around to insert text inside existing text is a real chore with hand and eye tracking. If you use an external keyboard, there are frequent cases of false positive pinches while typing on it, which can cause unintended cursor reinsertion into a previous paragraph. Also, with an external keyboard, it is unacceptable that it doesn't get matted in with your hands, you need to see it sometimes, and finding a halfway point in the immersion dial is not a good solution to that. Also, every time you use an external keyboard, it still pops the virtual keyboard in your face until it registers a keystroke from the keyboard. This is super annoying, and a problem that had already been solved with iPad + Magic Keyboard.

4. The Moon is the only place to watch movies. The lighted monochromatic floor cancels the very prominent lens glare, and the chill background doesn't distract from the movie in your eyeline. Unfortunately you can only position video large and over the moon crater (you'll see) when using Apple TV app. It doesn't give you the best experience in other apps.

5. The movie experience is not that great, simply because of the comfort. I never stop being aware that I'm wearing this thing on my face, so my mind is distracted from the actual content. Also, it does NOT look like a 100 foot or IMAX screen. At best, it feels like maybe a 60+ foot screen, like you're watching a "movie in the park", and the best experience is in the Apple TV app, other apps don't go as big. I don't feel like lugging this in a giant case and juggling power supplies just to watch movies on the moon while I'm on a plane.

6. Mac Virtual Display with my M1 Macbook Pro has been my preferred mode of using this over long sessions. It works shockingly well like a large 40" display without ProMotion, looks best placed close to your face (like 4-5 feet away). But my M1 Air cannot connect and drive it without tremendous lag, you sit there and watch windows draw sometimes.

7. Keyboard and trackpad sharing from a connected Mac into the Vision environment works great when it works and enables actual productivity in the VisionOS apps, but often fails to work with Vision and the cursor gets trapped inside the Mac window.

8. Environments in general are not all they're made out to be. They look like fairly low-res wallpapers painted on the floor and around you. There isn't enough resolution and depth information to make rocks or grass look anything close to real. I hate to say it because I'm sure tremendous work went into these. But this seems like a job for generative AI to improve.

9. When I was first setting the device up, I kid you not, it asks you to hold up your iPhone, and then your iPhone triggers FaceID while you're in your ski mask. Did the same company not make both devices?

10. The device looks absolutely iconic, but it's uncomfortable. It uses compression around your head, especially against your facial bones, to stay on. The facial interface feels hard, like a stiff sports car rather than a softer Camry. My PSVR2 is far more comfortable, choosing to put the weight on its halo band on your head, and let you snug up the scope to your face on a slider with no pressure at all, just enough contact to seal out light. In the long run this is the way to go. Weight is not a big issue, but pressure is. I don't see Apple's ID team solving this for a long time, since the good head mounts probably look super dorky, but the third party ecosystem will.

11. The battery is SO BEAUTIFUL. I want one as my powerbank for all my devices. The soft material engineering on the Vision Pro is insane, the fabrics are just out of this world and the solo strap with its smooth fine-grained adjuster knob is a marvel for what it is.

12. I hate the digital crown. I never know which way to spin it. The grooves don't catch my finger well enough, and given the amount of resistance, I'm often just rubbing it and not getting anywhere. I wish it were just a dedicated volume knob, and it's a bummer that immersion does not change instantly as you rotate the crown, it waits for you to stop rotating before it changes the actual immersion level.

13. After the first night, I woke up with redness and acne on my cheekbones. This is the first of my 3 headsets (Meta, Sony) to cause this. When I went to return the device, the store employee took one look at my face and wrote skin irritation down as the return reason.

Verdict:

I am convinced this is going to be fabulously successful in a few years as the resolution, lens quality, and comfort increase and the price decreases, and as hardware and software enable professional use cases for AR. For average consumers, if this is priced at like $1800, it will sell like hotcakes. It's just awesome to simulate all the screens you want, have it all running on the Apple ecosystem, and eventually enjoy more AR/VR experiences

Last edited:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Returned mine yesterday. Primarily 3 reasons - glare, limited FOV, and screen not sharp enough for movies (surprisingly after all of the reviews). I didn’t love the weight, comfort, or pass-through either, but those were not deal breakers for me.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Watching content in the "Cinema" mode is my favorite experience. However the glare from bright scenes (reflected off my face?) is very annoying.

Is there a light seal/cushion size adjustment that could be made to mitigate this glare or it the simple physics of the light reflecting off your eyeballs back to the inner lenses?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Watching content in the "Cinema" mode is my favorite experience. However the glare from bright scenes (reflected off my face?) is very annoying.

Is there a light seal/cushion size adjustment that could be made to mitigate this glare or it the simple physics of the light reflecting off your eyeballs back to the inner lenses?
I believe it’s inherent in the design. I can’t watch movies (Apple TV+ in Cinema mode) because of the lack of resolution when the screen is so large. I can handle the glare, but not the LCD like picture quality. That kills it for me.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I still love it except for the comfort issue. Trying different contraptions to shift the weight back away from my nose. Lying down works.

I lose track of time when immersed so have to set loud alarms to not miss appointments 🤦‍♀️😂

also wondering if I should have bought the 512 gig version. Spatial videos are big.

my brother got a demo and immediately ordered one. He had no comfort issues but felt light leakage from around the nose even after trying multiple seals. But he was undeterred 😁

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
81956A93-3805-4FDC-8945-DC181875C13F.jpeg

I have worn this for 288 hours without taking it off. AMA.

Edit: referring to the shirt

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Weird question - but does it seem impossible to smile or laugh while wearing the Vision Pro without it being pushed up on your face by your cheeks and therefore blurring the content? Or is it just me? Lol

Reactions: ViperrepiV

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
I have done many demonstrations to friends and visitors in the office. Everyone loved the picture quality (compared to Quest etc.), the responsiveness and the new way of interacting with the spaces (Quest hand tracking was never this good). The "wow" effect was surely there.
But many pointed out the blur when moving head, passthrough quality (not really high res), difficulty to use passthrough for close work and mainly the comfort...

Used my Quest 2 yesterday again, after some months without it, and the display quality feels really bad compared to AVP :) Also it was a bit strange to use the controllers again haha! But Quest 2 (with Bobo VR headstrap) is 1000x more comfortable than AVP, it's not comparable at all. I can wear Quest 2 the whole day, it's super light. But AVP is heavy and requires very precise positioning for the picture to be sharp and see all controls, which puts some pressure on my cheekbones and forehead (mainly here). I tried the other strap, also did the fitting in Apple Store, but this is the best it can get for me.

Also when we did the demos it was kind of boring after the initial wow effect, there is not that much one can do if you don't need a virtual monitor (just good for travel anyway) or TV (most of the people actually watch movies/TV shows with someone else). I personally have no motivation to take it out and use it right now (and I am fully in Apple ecosystem), it just sits here in the case all the time. With Quest I at least play Beatsaber or Pistol Whip to have some fun and move myself, but don't know what to do with AVP :) But I will take it with me when I fly next time, I guess it's cool just sit and forget being in overcrowded plane :)

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
most of the people actually watch movies/TV shows with someone else
While this is correct, please note that we are not talking about an overwhelming majority. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (link here), "during the 2 hours 46 minutes per day that people ages 15 and older watched TV, others were present 52.4 percent of the time (1 hour 27 minutes per day), and they were alone 47.6 percent of the time (1 hour 19 minutes per day)."

So this might explain why sharing took a backseat in the first AVP iteration.

Thanks for your feedback!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have done many demonstrations to friends and visitors in the office.

How did you do the demos? Did they wear it? If so how did you handle the fact that for some the seals, any Zeiss inserts, would not be configured correctly?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Any 3 week updates?

Haven’t had it three weeks, but a little over two. Have to say it just keeps getting better. When I’m not wearing it when I’m using a Mac, iPhone, or iPad, I miss it. Find pinching things is a habit now and the other stuff is just too small :).

Something very cool I did today. Went to the Apple web page. Know how you can view the products in AR? Well you can go to each product and place it somewhere. I had a virtual Apple Store on my dining room table. Can pick up each thing, spin it around, zoom, etc. Wild.

Right now, have NASCAR up in a large window dwarfing my 65” TV. Browsing the web, etc. It’s nice not having to look down at a computer screen. Think I’ll save some neck surgeries from using this.

Have used “Environments” sparingly. But they are cool to use when you need to focus with distracting things around.

Reactions: Night Spring

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m 9 days into my purchase. I got the 1 TB. For the price point, added storage seemed like a relative bargain. No accessories yet but I did get AppleCare. Being a Star Trek fan I’m excited about the app from Roddenberry called The Archive that is filled with Trek bridge Environments. Mostly this is a way for me to experience movies and media in new ways. After I got my optical lenses the motion sickness pretty much went away. Trying the dual loop headband made it much more comfortable for me. I’m super impressed with the build quality and of course the video and audio quality.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Any 3 week updates?
I'm a couple of weeks in. Far and away, the biggest draw for me has been watching movies/content via Apple TV and the "Cinema" environment. I already have an 83" OLED (ISF calibrated) and a 7.1 surround system that costs as much as a decent car. But I'm constantly drawn back to the AVP for watching my digital movie collection.

The immersive content from Apple is great, too. But there's a limited amount. I've also used it as a screen for my MacBook, and that's fine, but really more cumbersome than it's worth. I already have a Pro Display XDR which is amazing.

The price doesn't bother me so much as the weight/bulk. I'm sure it will get noticeably better in ~5 years. But it's just hard to overcome the fact that you're wearing a huge chunk of metal/glass on your face and it takes some adjustment to get it even moderately comfortable.

Reactions: profets

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Got mine launch day. I have a busy work and family life so I have only gotten time with it during lunch some weekdays and later at night.

That said, I've had enough experience with it remain excited about the product--even if I wavered some during my initial days of usage.

"Headphones for your eyes" doesn't really capture what VP can do, but it is maybe a useful easily understandable sound bite.

As @BeatCrazy mentioned, the weight / bulk is a downer. I tried using the + and the dual band and frankly I think both work less well for me. Eye tracking is not nearly as good and having it further away from my face makes it feel less responsive. The dual loop band I've not been able to get nearly as comfortable. I'm waiting but may end up 3D printing the piece to use a dual solo band.

I've used it in a variety of environments, at my office desk. An empty conference room, my couch and even doing dishes and light chores.

I have set mine up for development, building the example xcode app and one from a young dev on youtube and using them on the device. I built some designed and led a team that built some popular interactive art for burning man a few years ago and am considering building it for vision pro.

I bought and re-watched Dune for the first time in it, which was pretty good once I turned off 3D. I'm kind of disappointed with the Apple TV+ media available right now, the available library of content seems small. But it could be I just already had viewed the stuff I was interested in.

I'd like to be able to bring in HEVC content, has there been a release of a good VLC-like app for VP yet?

I've been disappointed by the discussion and analysis I've seen so far in general. Lots of static around if its good or if people are returning it or now this crack issue that I could care less about. Is anyone aware of a quality discord or other tight knit discussion on it?

The most common negative experience I have with it is text entry. Its just bad. Its not reasonable to zip your eyes around a keyboard tapping repeatedly. I often am using it where I don't want to dictate via the mic. The keyboard should at least support some version of swipe.

Another thing that's annoyed me is how easy it is to grab the progress tracker of video playback. I've lost playback position at least two times this way with no way to undo this super disruptive interaction mistake.

I'm curious where it is going to go and what Apple's got in store. I do want Fitness+ to debut something to rival Supernatural. When that drops, supported by licensing from Apple Music I'll know the value is really making an impact.

Its still very early days though.

Reactions: Chuckeee

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
Been meaning to give an update, likely my last..

- Happy with the AVP - no issues with the unit.
- Almost fell off the bed the other day because I fell asleep with the AVP on. Good times :).
- One of the biggest benefits for me is traveling with the AVP. It has been extremely enjoyable to use while in the airplane/hotel. In the plane cord management becomes a bit of a nightmare, but you eventually figure it out. Additionally, while I am away, I feel more connected to my family, and I expect the experience will get increasingly better as more apps become available.
- I've notice that my iPad is basically collecting dust. I only use it for my flightbag apps.
- Wife returned her AVP, purely due to weight. It's too heavy for her and she wasn't willing to try a bunch of different 2nd hand solutions.
- Needs more apps.
- Darn dog keeps licking the unit when I have it on. Maybe need to think about getting applecare+.
- I wish the unit was available internationally. Have friends and family in other parts of the world willing to give the AVP a try.
- Hoping that having flat hair on the back of your head becomes a new trend.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
- Almost fell off the bed the other day because I fell asleep with the AVP on. Good times :).
I've been wondering what would happen when someone inevitably did this. Was it still on your face when you woke up? Did the battery cable get tangled?

Additionally, while I am away, I feel more connected to my family, and I expect the experience will get increasingly better as more apps become available.
What about the VP makes you feel more connected with family while away? Is the FaceTime/Zoom/message experience better?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Love the Lava Battery app, among others. Put it on the top of a bookcase off to the side ....

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I’m 9 days into my purchase. I got the 1 TB. For the price point, added storage seemed like a relative bargain. No accessories yet but I did get AppleCare. Being a Star Trek fan I’m excited about the app from Roddenberry called The Archive that is filled with Trek bridge Environments. Mostly this is a way for me to experience movies and media in new ways. After I got my optical lenses the motion sickness pretty much went away. Trying the dual loop headband made it much more comfortable for me. I’m super impressed with the build quality and of course the video and audio quality.

Thanks for the tip on Th Archive, I’m totally psyched!

• Love
Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.