Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Spent some hours with it again, I really loved board games haha, that was fun. I spend my childhood playing a version of Hearts with friends sitting on the concrete behind our house, would be nice to play with them in VR again if they had AVP as well (we are all around the world now).
Other than that I had real difficulty doing something
with it... It does not support VR videos on YouTube, I don't watch ATV+ or Disney content and Netflix just runs in a browser. Tried Fruit Ninja but that was sooo baaad experience with indoor lightning, it was impossible to play, success rate in picking up my hand movements was like 50%. Cut The Rope was interesting concept, but I was missing haptics (maybe they invent a ring or dual apple watch to simulate this) and this kind of game is also not for me. I thought it could be useful to use as assistance when working on my bikes or a car, but the passthrough is not good enough for fine detail work.
I got tasked to figure out how to use it in our company, but our security already told me no-way they will approve it as registered device for now (not even sure Microsoft Company Portal is already available for AVP, have to check), so no chance of using Office365 or Teams. Also those with managed Macbooks can't use it as virtual monitor. My company (telco) also provides a TV streaming application, but this one would simply be ported to AVP as for other platforms, without any real added value. Guess it needs a bit more time for all these cases...

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Anyone check out the Alicia Keys studio session?

I’m not a fan of hers but thought I’d check it out—it’s such a high profile piece of media.

It was pretty great, really. I don’t listen to much R&B but I do like music production and used to go to a lot of live events.

The fidelity of that experience is incredibly high. Keys is right there.

I found myself moving a bit hoping to see around an object but of course this media is static positioned from maybe three POVs.

Props to AK and her folks in and around that media. I’d definitely check out something similar from artists I’m more into.

Also, I ran out of battery on the VP for the first time only seconds away from the end.

Hopefully, that’s a good sign. Like others my first couple experiences were not as great. I felt myself slipping into it a bit better tonight.

Fit is still a problem though. I have to try dual and the other interface.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Anyone check out the Alicia Keys studio session?

I’m not a fan of hers but thought I’d check it out—it’s such a high profile piece of media.

It was pretty great, really. I don’t listen to much R&B but I do like music production and used to go to a lot of live events.

The fidelity of that experience is incredibly high. Keys is right there.

I found myself moving a bit hoping to see around an object but of course this media is static positioned from maybe three POVs.

Props to AK and her folks in and around that media. I’d definitely check out something similar from artists I’m more into.

Also, I ran out of battery on the VP for the first time only seconds away from the end.

Hopefully, that’s a good sign. Like others my first couple experiences were not as great. I felt myself slipping into it a bit better tonight.

Fit is still a problem though. I have to try dual and the other interface.

Where is that, the Apple app? I watched some of Prehistoric planet and that is awesome.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
A few thoughts after using this nearly all day. I walked in to my local store, demo'd it and decided to buy it:

• Comfort is surprisingly good. I've been able to wear the AVP for several hours today with no eye strain or pain anywhere on my face/head. This was my biggest fear and turned out to be the least bothersome thing about the product. Time will tell if this changes
  • Adblocker for Safari - I downloaded 1Blocker which claims to have a Vision Pro version. Followed their instructions but cannot get it to work on Safari. Has anyone been able to get any adblocker to work yet? Not fun browsing with a bunch of ads
  • Glare in Cinema/immersive theater mode - when watching movies in Apple TV+ or Disney+ with their respective immersive modes, there is a TON of glare. I don't think it's a light seal issue and I tried this both in well lit and dark rooms. The glare made the movies unwatchable. This is unfortunate since the immersive experience is otherwise amazing, especially when paired with my Airpods Pro
  • Mac external monitor mode - This is one of my biggest use cases for the AVP, but I was really disappointed in how blurry the fonts are. I tried changing resolutions but it is not sharp at all - worse than HD monitors. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong? This is by far my biggest disappointment in this product and I am strong considering returning it if I can't figure this out
  • Panoramic photos - my old iPhone panoramic photos looked surprisingly good, like I was "there"
  • 3D Movies/Videos - This one is kind of meh for me, it's okay but not anything special. I tried the explore dinosaurs or whatever the app is called and it was cool but not something I would pay $3500 for

Overall I'm 50/50 on whether to keep it or return it. This is clearly a first gen product and $3500 is not a small amount of money.
Yeah the Vision Pro needs to be an actual computer with a terminal and code editor access… similar to a mac. AVP is so close you can almost do work with it but right now its not quite there based on my first impressions. Its tantalizingly out of reach. Im gonna try playgrounds on this device. I kinda wish it wasnt as locked down in terms of apps you could install. That would solve my work issues or at least allow mac apps to be emulated for compatibile mode use.

Last edited:

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
Just a follow-up to my post on Friday....

In short, a keeper, really enjoying the unit. ~15 hrs of total usage over the weekend.

- Drinking from a cup/can is difficult. Grab a straw. Favors beer bottles.
- Dog likes to sneak up on me. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times. Need to put a bell on his collar.
- Feels like there could have been a more elegant solution to the cable management. Wall to backup battery to AVP battery to AVP (it's a me problem, but it happened and I'll admit it).
- I really zone things out when I am wearing it. Wife claims I did that before getting the AVP.
- I have had no issues with the weight of the unit. Wife got her's setup, she said it's heavy and needs to take breaks. Was put on shoulder massage duty while she was watching a movie wearing the unit....

On a more serious note, I don't have much to say that others haven't already. I'm in the "pass-through is great, immersive, can't wait for more apps (slightly disappointed that there aren't more already), panoramic is next level amazing, I wouldn't wear it out in public... but glad others are, love watching movies with it, and I believe it will be a great work productivity tool" camp.

Last edited:

HommePomme

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Just a follow-up to my post on Friday....

In short, a keeper, really enjoying the unit. ~15 hrs of total usage over the weekend.

- Drinking from a cup/can is difficult. Grab a straw. Favors beer bottles.
- Dog likes to sneak up on me. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times. Need to put a bell on his collar.
- Feels like there could have been a more elegant solution to the cable management. Wall to backup battery to AVP battery to AVP (it's a me problem, but it happened and I'll admit it).
- I really zone things out when I am wearing it. Wife claims I did that before getting the AVP.
- I have had no issues with the weight of the unit. Wife got her's setup, she said it's heavy and needs to take breaks. Was put on shoulder massage duty while she was watching a movie wearing the unit....

On a more serious note, I don't have much to say that others haven't already. I'm in the "pass-thorough is great, immersive, can't wait for more apps (slightly disappointed that there aren't more already), panoramic is next level amazing, I wouldn't wear it out in public... but glad other are, love watching movies with it, and I believe it will be a great work productivity tool" camp.

If your wife has one too I recommend playing Game Room in SharePlay, mute the FaceTime and sit across from each other and put the board in the same spot and it's pretty amazing to both be looking at the same thing

Reactions: hippo206

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The eyestrain is almost gone after just a few hours of use.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
What do you attribute this change to?
It's a bit like adapting to a new set of eyeglasses (and part of that may be literal, as I use the Zeiss inserts). I think it takes our brains a bit to adapt to seeing a display so close up.

Reactions: Glideslope

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Anyone have any tricks for getting it to rest less on the side of your nose bridge?

I feel like having it rest on my cheeks and forehead doesn't bother me really, but when I take it off, I always have a mark on one side of my nose lol.

M3Jedi77

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Anyone have any tricks for getting it to rest less on the side of your nose bridge?

I feel like having it rest on my cheeks and forehead doesn't bother me really, but when I take it off, I always have a mark on one side of my nose lol.

I've started a thread / ordered a strap that will take 100% of the weight OFF my face.

BoboVR Halo Headset Mod

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Why is a second Light Seal Cushion included? Is it gonna wear out? (replacement is 'only' $29) And it doesn't seem designed to block light coming in from around the nose (from below).

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Why is a second Light Seal Cushion included? Is it gonna wear out? (replacement is 'only' $29) And it doesn't seem designed to block light coming in from around the nose (from below).
One is regular and the other is + size. The + is just thicker, in case you have longer eyelashes or want a little more plush feeling. I feel like a lot of people are just now learning about their facial features like boniness and contours trying to find a comfortable fit for an extended time.

Reactions: martens

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I put on VP over lunch today in a conference room and dipped into Solitaire from the apple arcade section of app store.

The UI for the app was troublesome. Clearly designed for a mouse, probably breaks all kinds of HIG.

But the app was interesting. I don't particularly enjoy solitaire but it was interesting to use spatial interface to start handling cards more quickly.

I did not understand the interaction between the app and the environment. That is, visionOS's big environment like Mt. Hood and the game. At one point something caused the game board to darken a bunch.

Also leaning forward in a chair it was hard to get the game board close enough so I would lean over it. I had to almost trick the app by scooting back and then moving forward.

I'd describe it as a beta experience at this point, but it also gave me an inkling of "there's something here" (as in spatial computing vs "this is a projector with 3d stuff kinda") which was new and essential if I"m going to hang on to this.

Also, While playing I couldn't help but think about this kid from Children of Men.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
One is regular and the other is + size. The + is just thicker, in case you have longer eyelashes or want a little more plush feeling. I feel like a lot of people are just now learning about their facial features like boniness and contours trying to find a comfortable fit for an extended time.
Thanks. For me, the initial one seems to work just fine.

Prime525

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
  • 512GB
  • No
  • Yes
  • Media Consumption/ Unsure

Just to add, I picked up my device today from an Apple Store and it wasn’t the worst purchasing experience I’ve ever had. The store wasn’t crowded, but all the employees seemed a bit confused about the process.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008

Same here, the dual loop bands help with this because it transfers some weight to the top of your head. Also check out the sizing support links in the below MacRumors article:

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I also haven't tried it out as screen for MacBook. But given you may need physical access to the MacBook, or dedicated trackpad and keyboard... how is this more productive than sitting at a desk with multiple monitors? But I will try it.

I'm very impressed with the hardware, I find it pretty comfortable, and it is fun playing with it. I am nowhere near an Apple Store, so buying one was the only way to experience it.

But right now I'm on the fence about returning it. Just not sure it is something I'll enjoy using regularly.
Wow, I really like it as display for my MacBook. It may be only 4K-ish, but looks crisp enough for me and having it larger makes it very pleasant.

And nice having large screen anywhere for video.

I've been plugging in a power bank, and the AVP's battery remains at 100% even after a couple of hours.

Not having any problem with the weight or fit on my face.

Leaning to keeping it.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Window management is my biggest complaint - I feel like I have to spend so much time grabbing window controls and resizing them - I'm hoping we'll get the ability to "save" window groupings somehow, and general sizing info.
Good review. I don’t have a VP but this is something I’ve been concerned about. I agree, it would be extremely time-saving to have some way to save groups of window positions. [Edit- Maybe also to link multiple windows together so they can all be moved at the same time.]

Also one thing I wonder and haven’t seen shown/mentioned anywhere is if there is a way to minimize/hide a window temporarily. Being able to minimize a specific group of windows would also be nice. Maybe closing apps is the same as minimizing them, as long as open exactly as they were, but I think any process would get interrupted which is not always desired.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You have to look to the top to bring down the control panel. Then you can see battery percentage, time, and date. I wish there were a way to make it permanently visible.
I’m sure someone will make a widget for this at some point.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Received mine Tuesday!

It feels like as much of a wow as my day one iPhone, iPad, and Watch. I realize you "need" this less than the others though (particularly less than a phone).

However, it's a BIG deal.

Stepping into panoramas from a few years ago was "wow." Sadly, I stopped taking them a few years ago.

I'd love more videos apps that were as slick as Apple's built in because things like Youtube and YouTube TV just aren't great in a browser window.

If a window has a bit of a tilt to it, is there anyway to straighten it out?

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
Stepping into panoramas from a few years ago was "wow." Sadly, I stopped taking them a few years ago.
Yes, that was actually my issue with it as well. I used the Panorama function a few times when it was new, but not since then. As a result, all the panorama photos I have are of significantly lower quality compared to what the 15 Pro can produce now. This is a bit disappointing, especially when using the headset.

Reactions: powerbook911
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.