Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
A couple of more impressions after 5+ hours with this. I really focused on watching a few movies/shows tonight - Masters of the Air and Criminal Record.

1. Love the screen size for movies/tv. Very immersive (Apple TV+), although you do lose sharpness. Everything seems slightly blurry (does not feel like 4K) compared to my 75” OLED.
2. I notice a screen door effect on some scenes especially anything with a light background - not as bad as LCD projectors back in the day, but its there. I also notice this effect on almost anything with white text including the Home Screen text under the icons. It’s just not as sharp as I was led to believe with the reviews. When I check MacRumors on Safari I can see pixels on the text plus red/green on the edges sometimes. I go back to my iPhone and is razor sharp
3. Glare is really bad and distracting - both during the day and at night

Last edited:

Honey_crisp

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Fit matters a lot as well. If it’s not adjusted well it is less clear.
I think @klasma 's explanation makes a lot of sense. If I have Safari from the Mac desktop and the Vision Pro version of Safari side by side and similarly sized, the Mac Safari feels noticeably more blurry. Unless there is a trick I'm missing as far as fit is concerned.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Possibly yeah. I just think Apple made a mistake. They should have priced this as 2k and removed unnecessarily expensive feature such as the front screen and eyesight. It's a shame because the price just makes this too out of reach for too many people.
Removing that outer screen wasn’t going to save them a thousand bucks on BOM

Reactions: G5isAlive

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I’ve spent about an hour or so with mine. A few high level thoughts, keeping in mind that I primarily justified the purchase by using it as a display while traveling:
  • Very cool tech overall. It will be interesting to see where the future goes, but I can’t imagine this replacing an in person experience anytime soon.
  • Passthrough isn’t perfect but it’s very workable. For whatever reason I’ve never been a huge multi-monitor guy, I like having one big monitor. When I’m traveling I can use my 14” MBP and my iPad Pro if I bring it along, or the AVP. AVP wins hands down. Would I rather have my 4K display? Sure. But I can’t pack that and bring it with me. Is it perfectly crisp? No. But readable and it will work for what I need.
  • One big variable I wonder about is using this in a moving vehicle. A plane seems fine, but I do a lot of train travel and I wonder if the motion of the train, combined with the VR display, would be an issue. If not, this would be hugely helpful for being productive while in motion.
  • If there were alternatives on the market for a pass through display, I’d question if it was worth it. Something like the Immersed Visor. But there’s not at the moment. Maybe I’ll sell it down the road if some good alternatives come to market. But for now this is a nice improvement for travel.
  • Definitely a cool platform to watch movies and such. But that’s not worth the price for me. I could get a very nice TV at less than 50% of the cost of this thing.
  • The travel case is huge. I’m hoping Waterfield or someone else comes out with something protective but a bit more compact.
  • So far I’ve just used the solo band. The VP has some weight to it but I didn’t find it overwhelming or burdensome.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Here’s my first impressions as someone who’s never used any AR/VR headset before:

1. FOV is decent. I do notice the borders but it’s not overly distracting and things can feel feel very immersive regardless. Naturally I was expecting a slightly better FOV but it’s not bad.
  2. Clarity is really great, particularly when it comes to the OS itself. I was a bit disappointed in the clarity of the Apple Immersive Videos in the TV app. They are noticeably grainy to me - not sure if that’s a me thing - compared to the OS-level stuff. The environments are a bit grainy too, not as immediately noticeable as the Immersive Videos though
  3. I really enjoy the environments and hope they add more over time, or allow for developers to include them at the system level.
  4. Eye tracking and hand tracking seems to work 85-90 percent of the time. The other 10-15 percent it either misses my taps completely or I can’t quite get my eyes to highlight what I feel I’m looking at. Sometimes it takes moving my head slightly to get it to highlight something.
  5. Noticing the glare that others are talking about, and I’m also noticing that light seems to be able to get through the material of the light seal itself.
  6. Build quality is that obviously top-notch.
  7. The weight isn’t as bad as I was expecting, it’s mainly just how it rests on my face. There’s a noticeable amount of pressure around my nose. I tried the dual loop strap but wasn’t able to adjust it very well - I like how the solo knit lets you tighten just by turning the dial.
  8. Passthrough is underwhelming even in what I feel is decent lighting - I was expecting more here mainly because of the reviews, but I also don’t have any last headset experiences to compare too.
  9. Spatial Audio/the speakers is probably one of the most impressive parts to me. The audio is great - it’s a lot like wearing AirPods Pro without actually wearing them.

Last edited:

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
But have to say, apart from higher quality, I expected something more. It's the same as Quest just much better executed (and for a much much higher price :D ). When I used Quest 2 for the first time, it was a bit "wow that feels real", but once you have experienced it, it's very similar on new generation devices, just nicer.
I would give it much more props than the quest, but I’ve had both Q2 and now Q3 and had similar vibes.

This product did not blow my mind during my first session. Setting it up downloading apps, trying out some of the included content.

It’s way, way better than quest but having used quest a lot, it feels like a lot of quality without nearly enough utility yet.

I am willing to give it a lot more time to see if it differentiates itself in the coming weeks. But I suspect a lot of the reviews, including Daring Fireball were just too effusive or the reviewers were not actually regularly using VR before the VP.

It’s literally day one, so not the best time to judge ROI because Apple and devs have much scrambling to do in providing a drumbeat of improvements and wow use cases.

But I took at least 5 hours of spatial video leading up to this thing, I could barely get a video loaded from iCloud after an hour of setup.

I’m on the fence and was hoping to be full throttle.

Reactions: klasma and Jarman74

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Here’s my first impressions as someone who’s never used any AR/VR headset before:

1. FOV is decent. I do notice the borders but it’s not overly distracting and things can feel feel very immersive regardless. Naturally I was expecting a slightly better FOV but it’s not bad.
  2. Clarity is really great, particularly when it comes to the OS itself. I was a bit disappointed in the clarity of the Apple Immersive Videos in the TV app. They are noticeably grainy to me - not sure if that’s a me thing - compared to the OS-level stuff. The environments are a bit grainy too, not as immediately noticeable as the Immersive Videos though
  3. I really enjoy the environments and hope they add more over time, or allow for developers to include them at the system level.
  4. Eye tracking and hand tracking seems to work 85-90 percent of the time. The other 10-15 percent it either misses my taps completely or I can’t quite get my eyes to highlight what I feel I’m looking at. Sometimes it takes moving my head slightly to get it to highlight something.
  5. Noticing the glare that others are talking about, and I’m also noticing that light seems to be able to get through the material of the light seal itself.
  6. Build quality is that Cousy top-notch.
  7. The weight isn’t as bad as I was expecting, it’s mainly just how it rests on my face. There’s a noticeable amount of pressure around my nose. I tried the dual loop strap but wasn’t able to adjust it very well - I like how the solo knit lets you tighten just by turning the dial.
  8. Passthrough is underwhelming even in what I feel is decent lighting - I was expecting more here mainly because of the reviews, but I also don’t have any last headset experiences to compare too.
  9. Spatial Audio/the speakers is probably one of the most impressive parts to me. The audio is great - it’s a lot like wearing AirPods Pro without actually wearing them.
If yall are getting glare its probably not a good fit and needs adjusting at the Apple Store.

Reactions: G5isAlive

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
IMG_1047.jpeg
Does anyone have ‘extra lines’ within their FOV? Hard to explain, but I’m assuming this is from the limited FOV and I’m getting partial darkness from one eye transposed into my combined vision.

I’ve made this crude drawing to try to explain. I would’ve thought this was from bad IPD alignment but I’ve gone through the process a couple of times and still see it.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
I would give it much more props than the quest, but I’ve had both Q2 and now Q3 and had similar vibes.

This product did not blow my mind during my first session. Setting it up downloading apps, trying out some of the included content.

It’s way, way better than quest but having used quest a lot, it feels like a lot of quality without nearly enough utility yet.

I am willing to give it a lot more time to see if it differentiates itself in the coming weeks. But I suspect a lot of the reviews, including Daring Fireball were just too effusive or the reviewers were not actually regularly using VR before the VP.

It’s literally day one, so not the best time to judge ROI because Apple and devs have much scrambling to do in providing a drumbeat of improvements and wow use cases.

But I took at least 5 hours of spatial video leading up to this thing, I could barely get a video loaded from iCloud after an hour of setup.

I’m on the fence and was hoping to be full throttle.
Yeah I fully agree with you. When I got the Quest 2, the intro session already (where you throw stuff around and dance with that strange character) was “oh wow!” moment for me. Then the ISS experience another one. Now with AVP the dinosaurs were cool with unbelievably nice rendering, but you just kind of watch them, almost no real interaction… it’s just a super cool virtual monitor so far. As hardware it’s really mind blowing, though I hope Apple will get rid of that front display, it’s completely useless gimmick, that increases cost, weight, risk of damage and eats battery. Persona scan should be done with iPhone, using AVP for that felt really strange.
Also using fingers/hands in the UI is impressively done but I sometimes wish for a controller like Quest has, it’s simply faster and more precise. Those 10-20% that the finger control does not work feels annoying (as others already mentioned), though I hope that could still be improved in the software.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
View attachment 2344802 Does anyone have ‘extra lines’ within their FOV? Hard to explain, but I’m assuming this is from the limited FOV and I’m getting partial darkness from one eye transposed into my combined vision.

I’ve made this crude drawing to try to explain. I would’ve thought this was from bad IPD alignment but I’ve gone through the process a couple of times and still see it.

I have the same on my Quest 3. it’s like my eye is overlapping into the other lense if that makes sense? I think it might be due to my curved cornea

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
View attachment 2344802 Does anyone have ‘extra lines’ within their FOV? Hard to explain, but I’m assuming this is from the limited FOV and I’m getting partial darkness from one eye transposed into my combined vision.

I think I’m seeing this as well

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
I do have a question for (only) the owners of the headset, especially those who ordered online. Was your light seal immediately good after the Face ID scan?

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I think @klasma 's explanation makes a lot of sense. If I have Safari from the Mac desktop and the Vision Pro version of Safari side by side and similarly sized, the Mac Safari feels noticeably more blurry. Unless there is a trick I'm missing as far as fit is concerned.
It's exactly that .

I actually tried to use a MBA M1 on a 4K display and I could never get text to look good due to the scaling, because that scaling is for 5K monitors, not 4K
For some people it will be enough, but not for me

psycho78

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I personally havent experienced or noticed any of the glare that others are mentioning. Ive had a terrific experience with mine--I even find the passthrough completely fine. The grain was minimal and about what I was expecting. My only issues have been minor software issues that Im assuming will improve over time, including the 5-10% of the time when my tap isnt registered tho some of that is likely user error and my hand was maybe out of range of the camera etc. Theres a lot of things Id like to see added to the software in the future to really improve things but Im sure a lot of that stuff will come in time. All in all I think visionOS 1.0 is still light years more stable and usable than the first iteration of iOS was.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I personally havent experienced or noticed any of the glare that others are mentioning. Ive had a terrific experience with mine--I even find the passthrough completely fine. The grain was minimal and about what I was expected. My only issues have been minor software issues that Im assuming will improve over time, including the 5-10% of the time when my tap isnt registered tho some of that is likely user error and my hand was maybe out of range of the camera etc. Theres a lot of things Id like to see added to the software in the future to really improve things but Im sure a lot of that stuff will come in time. All in all I think visionOS 1.0 is still light years more stable and usable than the first iteration of iOS was.
The glare is killing me. Throw on a movie on Apple and go into the cinema environment where it is pitch black. It’s actually distracting me from enjoying what’s on screen.

psycho78

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I’m realizing that. I guess the early reviews people specifically mentioned being able to read their phones, which is a total lie.
I was able to read my phone fine--I mean, I prefer reading my phone without the headset on for sure but I was able to read and navigate completely fine with it on.

Reactions: the future

psycho78

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
The glare is killing me. Throw on a movie on Apple and go into the cinema environment where it is pitch black. It’s actually distracting me from enjoying what’s on screen.
Yeah I was watching movies last night and had no issues at all? I didnt even know there was an issue with glare for anyone until I came into this topic this morning?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I do have a question for (only) the owners of the headset, especially those who ordered online. Was your light seal immediately good after the Face ID scan?

I had to adjust from 21 to 23 and it made a big difference. 21 and the lens was resting on my nose. Going up to 23 and it’s not at all. It’s wild that, that small of a size made a difference.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.