Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) and don't even get the option to unlock with Apple Watch even though this model is supposed to be supported

Siilver777

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
Paris, France
Same issue. I rebooted my MacBook Pro (Retina 13-inch early 2015) and my Apple Watch multiple times, but can't enable Auto-Unlock. :(

Sierra GM and watchOS 3 GM.

And yes, 2FA is enabled.

Reactions: nortonandreev

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Same issue. I rebooted my MacBook Pro (Retina 13-inch early 2015) and my Apple Watch multiple times, but can't enable Auto-Unlock. :(

Sierra GM and watchOS 3 GM.

And yes, 2FA is enabled.
I spoke with an Apple representative and she told me that she can't help me resolving the issue as MacOS Sierra is not officially released yet.
I can't believe they're releasing a final version with a feature that doesn't work as expected.... Or maybe they're maintaining the servers before the public release? I don't know...

Drtung

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
This method works for me:
1. Make sure no passcode on your watch
2. Reinstall Mac os fresh
3. Sign in with the same iCloud on your iPhone and your Apple Watch
4. After install, Go to Security & Privacy inside System Preferences

you should see an option to unlock your Mac with Apple Watch, then create a passcode on your watch and tick the box :)

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
This method works for me:
1. Make sure no passcode on your watch
2. Reinstall Mac os fresh
3. Sign in with the same iCloud on your iPhone and your Apple Watch
4. After install, Go to Security & Privacy inside System Preferences

you should see an option to unlock your Mac with Apple Watch, then create a passcode on your watch and tick the box :)
I don't see reinstalling macos as an option now. There should be another solution. They won't force all users to reinstall their macs, so...

Reactions: T-Will

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
I upgraded from 16A319 to 16A320 and I managed to activate it. But it doesn't work. It still requires a password...

Finally it is working! I had to uncheck "Disable automatic login". It seems that 16A320 build fix the issue.

Last edited:

Ismo

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Well, after no responses here or the Amazon questions, I risked it and purchased the new Airport card from Amazon and went through the iFixit steps for the 2012 Late Retina 13" MBP. End result, wasn't hard, and I now have unlock with Apple Watch. It of course will pickup a new IP address with a new MAC address which I hadn't considered, so I had many Port Forwarding rules I needed to update in my router to make everything work correctly again with the new IP address it picked up, but end result, I have the unlock with Apple Watch I wanted for under $20 and cheated buying a new MBP. Thanks for all of the info in this thread!

What was the exact model / product for the card you ordered?

reptil1990

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
I installed the sierra GM! Can not get the 2factor enabled! It always fails.
And i have also installed the new Airport card! Before i had the option. Now it is gone! Someone else saw that? Or is it only because 2factor is not enabled yes? Any clues?

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Auto Unlock worked for me once or twice right after I installed Sierra and enabled the option. But since then, it hasn't worked.

I don't have the "Disable automatic login" option even listed, but was reading this is due to having FileVault enabled. And in Users & Groups -> Login Options -> "Automatic Login" is Off and the dropdown is grayed out so I'm not able to enable it (even after clicking the lock and authenticating). I'm guessing this is also due to FileVault.

I did confirm my iMac and Watch are "talking" since Handoff is working as expected between the Watch and iMac.

Does Auto Unlock work with multiple user accounts?

I guess Apple still has a few bugs to work out. :confused:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yeah, that card won't work. Apple doesn't make one...
Heh. That's not especially helpful. :) "Apple doesn't make one" :p

@doylebl - you actually need to tell us which system you have for anyone to be able to help you. "for my non mid 2012 MacBook pro" really doesn't tell us which system you're trying to upgrade. Note how that ad says:
  • for A1425 A1398 A1502 MD212 MD213 MC975 MC976 2012 mid rmbp 2012 late rmbp 2013 early rmnp
Need specific model information.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Heh. That's not especially helpful. :) "Apple doesn't make one" :p

@doylebl - you actually need to tell us which system you have for anyone to be able to help you. "for my non mid 2012 MacBook pro" really doesn't tell us which system you're trying to upgrade. Note how that ad says:
  • for A1425 A1398 A1502 MD212 MD213 MC975 MC976 2012 mid rmbp 2012 late rmbp 2013 early rmnp
Need specific model information.
Well... Apple really doesn't make one.

doylebl

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
Well... Apple really doesn't make one.
Sorry guys I should have put a model number in for sure. My bad. I also meant to put in "non retina display"
[doublepost=1473619699][/doublepost]Just curious does anyone believe that a work around for this will surface at some point ?

Tzirasi

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
Ever since I upgraded to public beta GM, I have problem typing in my password and unlocking MacBook.
I carefully check if I'm typing in the password right, but the first 4-5 times my MacBook says I typed in a wrong password. I've been using this password for quite some time, so I don't think me typing in the password is the problem.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Hi, I just recently installed IOS 10 GM on iPhone 6S Plus, Apple Watch OS 3 GM, and MacOS Sierra GM on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" Retina.

I was interested in setting up the unlock with Apple Watch. I did all the prerequisites - removed my 2 step authentication and setup 2 factor on my iCloud account. Enabled the feature in MacOS Sierra. Still could not unlock and it would time out prompting for password. I even tried setting a 6-digit passcode on the watch thinking that had something to do with it.

I finally fixed by simply rebooting the Apple Watch. Now it works flawlessly every time.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the heads up! I just recently sold my Apple Watch in anticipation of a new model. I'll probably still go back to Series 1, but had to be on the safe side. Can't wait to start using this feature haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.