Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doylebl

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
I realize I didn't captain obvious lol. I didn't see a point when someone else pointed out that before a 2013 model it won't work period at this point in time. Then I asked does anyone believe there will be a work around in the future. Thanks for your pointless criticism

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I realize I didn't captain obvious lol. I didn't see a point when someone else pointed out that before a 2013 model it won't work period at this pony in time. Then I asked does anyone believe there will be a work around in the future. Thanks for your pointless criticism
Ok. It's working on my early 2008 17" MacBookPro quite well thanks. But, as you were.

doylebl

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
Ok. It's working on my early 2008 17" MacBookPro quite well thanks. But, as you where.
Unless they upgrade the airport board or used an external wireless card I call BS
[doublepost=1473710280][/doublepost]Apple has stated that it's only 2013 models and up so unless you modified it in someway it will not work. What I want to know is is there a software hack that will allow it to still work on a model earlier than 2013

Last edited:

doylebl

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
And that was the point....you can upgrade your airport card (in most cases).
I have researched upgrading a 2012 and one user on this pointed out that Apple has not made anything to do so internally. I am not sure if there something I can buy externally that will allow it to work for instance a external wireless card

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Apple has stated that it's only 2013 models and up so unless you modified it in someway it will not work. What I want to know is is there a software hack that will allow it to still work on a model earlier than 2013
"her?"
The other part of that. Well, there may be.

Anywho, you were offered help, didn't provide the necessary info and then just decided to be an ass. I'm sure you'll find the answers you seek with google.

doylebl

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
"her?"
The other part of that. Well, there may be.

Anywho, you were offered help, didn't provide the necessary info and then just decided to be an ass. I'm sure you'll find the answers you seek with google.
[doublepost=1473710707][/doublepost]Actually you offered help but in a very condescending way so I don't think many people will be very receiving of that. I also doubt that I'm the first person to point that out to you. Second of all I didn't put in the model number because I was told it was pointless if you read back to further in the thread. And there's much nicer people on this to offer information without being an ass about it. Don't need your help if that's how you want treat people

Reactions: ericvmazzone

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've tested the Auto-Unlock extensively today having 2FA, watchOS 3, iPhone 10.01 and my late 2015 iMac.

In Security & Privacy the "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac" needs to be checked.

The watch needs to be on your wrist (unlocked) and within around 4 feet of the Mac.

It works ONLY if Wi-Fi is enabled

If Wi-Fi is not ON then at times when you're presented with the login password box there will be a message underneath it saying Wi-Fi must be ON. This message does not always display unfortunately so some users will be unaware of the Wi-Fi requirement.

The Auto-Unlock will work for both the wake from sleep and interrupting the Screen saver when both of these features require a password entry for login as configured in the System Preferences Security & Privacy -> General pane.

Last edited:

Poesn

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro early 2013 with macOS Sierra (16A312a) and Apple Watch and iPhone with official watchOs 3 and iOS 10 releases.

I tried setting up everything anew and nothing works. Handoff between Mac and watch and iPhone works fine.
I have two factor auth enabled.

I tried:
turning bluetooth off and on.
logging out off all iCloud accounts and back in.
reinstalling every OS in the setup.

I can't get it to work.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Anybody else having issues? Two factor authentication is turned on, on both the Mac and the iPhone. All devices show I'm logged in with the proper Apple ID. My watch has a passcode. Go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, click on Allow your Apple Watch to control your Mac, and it just spins with a Turning On message. Eventually after some minutes it quits with an error message about not being able to communicate with the watch. This is 2013 MacBook Pro Retina.

I'm running... GM IOS 10, GM Sierra, publicly released Watch OS3

Last edited:

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Anybody else having issues? Two factor authentication is turned on, on both the Mac and the iPhone. All devices show I'm logged in with the proper Apple ID. Go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, click on Allow your Apple Watch to control your Mac, and it just spins with a Turning On message. This is 2013 MacBook Pro Retina.
Bluetooth needs to be on as well on your Mac.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
I believe you need a wifi card that supports 802.11ac. Older MAC's don't support this. (My MacBook Pro 2011 doesn't support, even thou I changed the Bluetooth adapter)

To check do a about this mac, system report and click on wifi.

How old is your Mac?

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Bluetooth needs to be on as well on your Mac.

Are you sure about this? I didn't read this being a requirement anywhere. Anyhow, when I turn Bluetooth on it doesn't make a difference. The phone isn't available to pair as an option either.
[doublepost=1473822989][/doublepost]
Wifi also needs to be on.

It's on.
[doublepost=1473823052][/doublepost]
I believe you need a wifi card that supports 802.11ac. Older MAC's don't support this. (My MacBook Pro 2011 doesn't support, even thou I changed the Bluetooth adapter)

To check do a about this mac, system report and click on wifi.

How old is your Mac?
2013 Retina Macbook...it should support it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Are you sure about this? I didn't read this being a requirement anywhere. Anyhow, when I turn Bluetooth on it doesn't make a difference. The phone isn't available to pair as an option either.

It's on.

And you're on iOS 10 and watchOS 3 + Sierra?

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada

It's on.

Under system preferences, security and privacy do you see the option allow your Apple Watch to unlock your mac? If so, make sure it is checked off. Maybe try deselecting the option and reselect the option. Then do a reboot if it's still on.

Seagyi

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
I have researched upgrading a 2012 and one user on this pointed out that Apple has not made anything to do so internally. I am not sure if there something I can buy externally that will allow it to work for instance a external wireless card

i have a 2012 15 inch retina with an ac card installed and i am able to do auto unlock with my apple watch on GM sierra.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 11.56.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 11.56.25 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 329

AaronG123

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
UK
Been reading back through the thread; seems conflicting info. But any advise if its possible to upgrade a
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) (MacBookPro9,2). Not entirely sure on exact model number until I get home, but this is the non retina version. Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.