Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
I have this coming today

VIGLT Charging Stand for Apple Watch Stand Aluminum Charging Stand Nightstand Mode Compatible Series 5 / Series 4 / Series 3/Series 2 / Series 1 Charging Dock Station Designed for Apple Watch(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081MY5RLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FQhlEbYXNGPAJ
6A96EC39-98E7-4A5F-974B-FE1F6358DEA9.jpeg

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Anyone have something similar to the Belkin Boots Up Dock that they are happy with? I really like the look/features of this one but $120 is hard to justify when I would probably buy two of them so my wife and I can both have one on our nightstands.

We both have iPhones, watches, and iPads. I've got first gen airpods too, but I would probably just charge them off the USB port along with my ipad. I'm not really interested in the ones that have the dock above the watch for airpods since they probably already don't work with the airpod pro, which I may upgrade to eventually.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
NOMAD Base Station Apple Watch Edition.

I used to have the Apple Watch charging dock which was great at the time but I have bought two for our bedside tables last year. I love it and I think it’s the best solution for your iPhone, Watch & AirPods.

It looks and feels very premium :)

95B4BA95-8423-4929-8709-4034B1623F72.jpeg

1ED61788-75F5-4631-B1E3-43F6F37A6441.jpeg

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Agreed Henry, bought mine when APPL scrapped Airpower & zero issues here, a solid choice IMO.

Same here!! Not sure if I will get the AirPower when it finally comes out though :)
One downside of the AirPower is it isn't convenient to charge an Apple Watch with a Sport Loop band. We will see...

Reactions: Agile55

Segata Sanshiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
Why are you worrying about dust? With the watchs' water resistance I don't see any potential dust problems. The charging plug is also tightly sealed.

I have realized this happened to my watch :

w60hkjc0y1o51.jpg

I have had this stainless steel S4 since January. I am very careful with it yet I discovered those scratches on the sensor.

It seems obvious to me that these scratches were caused by the charger. The watch does not come into contact with any surface other than the charger and my arm. People told me the charger magnet might have caught metallic dust that caused this.

So I would prefer to be able to have the watch and the charger in a completely dust free environment in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It seems obvious to me that these scratches were caused by the charger.

Sapphire glass has a Mohs hardness of 9. In order to scratch it you normally need something with a hardness of 9 or greater, such as diamond which is a 10. Ordinary house dust, depending where you live, is not even close. It seems more likely that it was something that you got on your arm. I have had every Apple Watch and have never gotten a scratch.

Segata Sanshiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
Sapphire glass has a Mohs hardness of 9. In order to scratch it you normally need something with a hardness of 9 or greater, such as diamond which is a 10. Ordinary house dust, depending where you live, is not even close. It seems more likely that it was something that you got on your arm. I have had every Apple Watch and have never gotten a scratch.
I am not sure how to interpret your message. What on Earth could land on the arm of a cleanliness-conscious person that would scratch the watch very precisely in the area in contact with the charger?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
am not sure how to interpret your message. What on Earth could land on the arm of a cleanliness-conscious person that would scratch the watch very precisely in the area in contact with the charger?

It is one, more likely, possibility. Your watch is in constant motion over your wrist during the day. If you live in, say, an sandy environment grit can get in there and will be rubbed back and forth all day. When I put my watch on its charger it is just an on/off thing, no rotation or movement.

If there were an issue with the charger scratching the back of the watch there would be lots of posts complaining about it. Your post is the only one I've seen. I'm not saying it didn't happen, it just isn't the most likely cause.

Segata Sanshiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
Alright, got it. I am not living in a sandy or dusty environment. I also think the scratches would not be that perfectly parallel if it was due to sand or dust.

However, another hypothesis that might be possible is the fact that it could have been caused by my space black Milanese band.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Alright, got it. I am not living in a sandy or dusty environment. I also think the scratches would not be that perfectly parallel if it was due to sand or dust.

However, another hypothesis that might be possible is the fact that it could have been caused by my space black Milanese band.
Yeah, it’s DLC plus much more difficult to control Milanese due to magnetism. I knew all about it and tried, but as soon as DLC touched the watch it left marks.

Segata Sanshiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
The more I look at the scratches the more I think it is the band that caused it indeed.

The band attached magnetically two times to the back of the watch while removing it. I had already spotted scratches clearly caused by the band elsewhere on the watch, since then I no longer use that band at all.

Apple didn't want to hear anything on the matter, hiding behind the fact that cosmetic damage is not covered by warranty, even if one of their accessories has caused it during a normal use :(

• Sad
Reactions: twanj and Luba

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
The more I look at the scratches the more I think it is the band that caused it indeed.

The band attached magnetically two times to the back of the watch while removing it. I had already spotted scratches clearly caused by the band elsewhere on the watch, since then I no longer use that band at all.

Apple didn't want to hear anything on the matter, hiding behind the fact that cosmetic damage is not covered by warranty, even if one of their accessories has caused it during a normal use :(
That’s how mine got scratched

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
This Milanese loop seems to be more hassle than it’s worth , got one coming this morning . From reading all these posts it’s definitely staying in the box permanently .

• Haha
Reactions: twanj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.