Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch Ultra (AWU) Band Did You Get?

• Alpine

Votes: 155 34.4%
  • Trail

Votes: 90 20.0%
  • Ocean

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • Multiple AWU Bands

Votes: 84 18.6%

• Total voters

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
After reading the experiences people had with the Ocean band, I went to my local Apple store just a bit ago and bought a white one. It feels so soft.

Reactions: jz0309

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
I ordered the Ultra with the Alpine Orange. Love i!! Went today and bought the Ocean Midnight, Yellow, and White. Also picked up the Alpine Green.
I won’t keep them all, but both the Alpine and Ocean are very comfortable. Probably will keep the Orange and Green Alpine and the Ocean Yellow.

Reactions: andresandiego

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Got the yellow ocean, I like it and it fits me well. It’s taken time to get the hang to close it properly but I’m getting there, for that reason I give it 9/10. Once you do have it secured, I don’t see how it could fall off unless you use a knife/scissors.
You need to put the strap loop through the holes in the band. See attached. This is the right way.

Attachments

• BDAF0B9F-67F5-41E3-ABB4-AEE62E3E6134.jpeg
    BDAF0B9F-67F5-41E3-ABB4-AEE62E3E6134.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 319

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Got the yellow ocean, I like it and it fits me well. It’s taken time to get the hang to close it properly but I’m getting there, for that reason I give it 9/10. Once you do have it secured, I don’t see how it could fall off unless you use a knife/scissors.
Your photograph shows you are not using it correctly. You are meant to twist and open the clasp and then run it through the holes in a position of your choosing before shutting the clasp again. You have just got it squished over the band. To be fair, it is not obvious at first — took me some fiddling to work it out

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Your photograph shows you are not using it correctly. You are meant to twist and open the clasp and then run it through the holes in a position of your choosing before shutting the clasp again. You have just got it squished over the band. To be fair, it is not obvious at first — took me some fiddling to work it out
Yep, and makes total sense, and easier to put the band on! thank you

Reactions: JOHNGAETANO

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My only real concern with the ocean band is how tedious it would be to take it off and back on quickly. Like if I’m airport security. Plus, you have an extra clasp.

With that said, I’ll probably use my leather link band most of the time and this seems like a good second option.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
My only real concern with the ocean band is how tedious it would be to take it off and back on quickly. Like if I’m airport security. Plus, you have an extra clasp.

With that said, I’ll probably use my leather link band most of the time and this seems like a good second option.
I think you guys are using the Ocean band wrong. It’s easy to take on and off but you have to put the strap ring in the right spot, through the bands holes.
562284EB-0F15-4A92-8411-B67A572C7561.jpeg

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I wore the alpine band for the first couple of days, and then got the ocean band. I think ocean is the way to go (at least until the trail loop arrives).

I do like how the alpine band looks, and I found it easy to take on & off (I'd say even easier than the ocean band). Though I don't love the feeling of the nylon against my skin, and I also don't love how it feels after I've been exercising and have been sweaty.

I think I'll still wear the alpine band from time to time, but so far I think I'm finding the ocean band more comfy. I think it's easier to forget that I'm wearing it, even though it's heavier, because it just feels better against the skin.

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
I ordered the AWU with alpine loop in starlight, would've gone with trail (I'm a runner, not an alpinist or diver), but the watch was only available with the alpine loops for day-1 delivery.

I actually don't like the alpine loop at all, maybe I got the wrong size, I got it in small based on their recommended wrist size, but it's really hard to put on and remove from my wrist, and with the band extended to maximum length, the titanium clasp/buckle thing kept knocking on the case of the watch, it didn't ding or scratch the case, but still I find it super annoying. I've taken the alpine loop off since, been using a grey sport band that came with a titanium AW, a light/dark grey sport loop that also came with one of my Ti AWs, and the SB link bracelet.

Also, I have the nylon and solo loops, they are slightly too large when used with the AWU, because the case is slightly larger than regular AWs, so I'm gonna go down a size when I buy new bands later.

I'll pick up the blue/gray trail loop when it shows up in stores, that'll probably work great for my use.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I ordered the AWU with alpine loop in starlight, would've gone with trail (I'm a runner, not an alpinist or diver), but the watch was only available with the alpine loops for day-1 delivery.

I actually don't like the alpine loop at all, maybe I got the wrong size, I got it in small based on their recommended wrist size, but it's really hard to put on and remove from my wrist, and with the band extended to maximum length, the titanium clasp/buckle thing kept knocking on the case of the watch, it didn't ding or scratch the case, but still I find it super annoying. I've taken the alpine loop off since, been using a grey sport band that came with a titanium AW, a light/dark grey sport loop that also came with one of my Ti AWs, and the SB link bracelet.

Also, I have the nylon and solo loops, they are slightly too large when used with the AWU, because the case is slightly larger than regular AWs, so I'm gonna go down a size when I buy new bands later.

I'll pick up the blue/gray trail loop when it shows up in stores, that'll probably work great for my use.

Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Apple Ultra band categorizations -- Ocean for divers, etc., Alpine for hikers, trail for runners. I'm a runner and never go into the ocean, but the Ocean band is my pick. It's a great all-round sports and everyday band.

Last edited:

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010

So surprised more people aren’t talking about your point regarding the titanium clasp/buckle brushing up against the edge of the casing/screen.

I was between sizes (M and L) and I decided to move up to a L, and that made the point I referenced above a bit easier, as when taking off the band now it doesn’t get as close to the screen with the extra length.

Additionally, as someone else pointed out, the larger size made the clasp/buckle not sit directly in the middle of my wrist, which has been a great change not having that thing scrape up against my MacBook or any other surface my wrists rest on.

Attachments

• 401EB85D-7D28-4670-B3CD-378254AC618C.jpeg
    401EB85D-7D28-4670-B3CD-378254AC618C.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 542

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I went with the midnight ocean band because I'm used to nike sport bands and I felt this was the closest one of course. I find it quite heavy and I don't like the traditional closure one bit. The pin and tuck closure on the nike/sport bands are much easier and those bands are of course more breathable too.

I have a green alpine loop coming this week. I think it looks great personally on the Ultra and wished I would have ordered that from the start. I'm also going to get the trail loop in yellow/beige when they are available. Lastly I'd like to get a leather link in umber to pair with formal attire down the road.

bhferguson

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Denver, CO
My watch came with the green alpine loop. I did an in-store pick up for the midnight ocean band and then also picked up a white alpine loop on a whim. So far, the ocean band has been surprisingly comfortable. It's stretchy, not hot, and the titanium pieces are really solid and secure. Feels good in the water and because it's dark, does play a little bit to the formal side.

The alpine loop is comfy, and the innovation in the knitting of it all is really cool. Definitely sets it apart from the knock-offs that I have already seen on Amazon. I do wish the actual loops were visible on the more than half the band when secured. Since it doubles over, all you really get is the smooth underside of the band. Maybe those loops would snag on things, not sure, but that is the only aspect of the alpine loop I do not like. I may pick up the orange as I prefer high visibility colors when backpacking and trekking.

Like many, still waiting on the trail loop. Looks comfy.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Apple chat swears I can walk into the store and size up my Medium band for a Large without returning the bundled Watch… I want to get the hook away from the underside of my wrist when typing on MacBook, so sizing up would be good

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
So surprised more people aren’t talking about your point regarding the titanium clasp/buckle brushing up against the edge of the casing/screen.

I was between sizes (M and L) and I decided to move up to a L, and that made the point I referenced above a bit easier, as when taking off the band now it doesn’t get as close to the screen with the extra length.

Additionally, as someone else pointed out, the larger size made the clasp/buckle not sit directly in the middle of my wrist, which has been a great change not having that thing scrape up against my MacBook or any other surface my wrists rest on.
What’s your wrist size?

Reactions: cannono

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
I got the Alpine band in orange, pretty pleased with it.
Thought I’d find the orange a bit garish but it’s grown on me, and for casual use I like it.
I got it in large and they fit seems pretty good.

I have the black/gray trail loop in order as well, be interesting to see how that feels and looks.

Attachments

• BEDFFCCD-C58C-4950-B369-F6AD85F512FE.jpeg
    BEDFFCCD-C58C-4950-B369-F6AD85F512FE.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 224

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
Apple chat swears I can walk into the store and size up my Medium band for a Large without returning the bundled Watch… I want to get the hook away from the underside of my wrist when typing on MacBook, so sizing up would be good
please keep us posted, I'll at least go in and try the medium alpine if that's an option.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I got the green alpine loop. It's very secure and comfortable enough while working out or going out for a walk. However, it won't be my daily driver for non-exercise use, because I have several other bands that are more comfortable and don't clash as much with my wardrobe. Might have been a different story if it came in black or dark blue.

9/10 band for exercise use; 7/10 band overall.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth

please keep us posted, I'll at least go in and try the medium alpine if that's an option.

This is true. You can switch colors as well. Today, I traded in my green alpine loop in medium that came with my watch for an orange alpine loop in large.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I’m over 4 hours from an Apple Store. No exchanging for me.

I got the Alpine orange. I want to like the orange. I wish it was a little more burnt orange and less bright. From what I can see, it’s perhaps the most popular of the alpine bands, so it’s just me.

I’m in the process of trading for an alpine starlight. And I have a green arriving tomorrow. I do like starlight. I have a braided solo loop in it.

Unsure if I’ll keep both alpines. I really want to try the ocean. I didn’t like the look but the reviews have been so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.