Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch Ultra (AWU) Band Did You Get?

• Alpine

Votes: 155 34.4%
  • Trail

Votes: 90 20.0%
  • Ocean

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • Multiple AWU Bands

Votes: 84 18.6%

• Total voters

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
What’s your wrist size?
178mm, so technically a M or L Alpine loop fits according to Apple. But keeping the G-hook clasp away from the bottom of my wrist is enough of an advantage that siding with the larger size has made my day to day much nicer.

Reactions: tripleburst

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
After enjoying the green Alpine so much I’ve also picked up the Starlight on eBay for a good discount. Then just the trail loop sometime in Nov.

kmingis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
NC
I started off with the Midnight Ocean band which I found surprisingly comfortable. It looks like it would be stiff, but it's very pliable and even slightly stretchy. I only wish it were a little longer. (I have a 193mm wrist and I'm in the third hole from the end.) I might get it in white to change things up. Then today, the orange Alpine band (in large) arrived and I'm currently rocking that one. It's not for the faint of heart if you're trying to be subtle, but then again the Ultra isn't exactly a shrinking violet on your wrist. The orange pairs up perfectly with the international orange button, too.

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I started off with the Midnight Ocean band which I found surprisingly comfortable. It looks like it would be stiff, but it's very pliable and even slightly stretchy. I only wish it were a little longer. (I have a 193mm wrist and I'm in the third hole from the end.) I might get it in white to change things up. Then today, the orange Alpine band (in large) arrived and I'm currently rocking that one. It's not for the faint of heart if you're trying to be subtle, but then again the Ultra isn't exactly a shrinking violet on your wrist. The orange pairs up perfectly with the international orange button, too.
So true, the ocean band is perfect and it’s really a great gym and athletic band. Starlight alpine is my everyday and will add either the blue or black trail loop. hope they make a matching titanium link band

kmingis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
NC
So true, the ocean band is perfect and it’s really a great gym and athletic band. Starlight alpine is my everyday and will add either the blue or black trail loop. hope they make a matching titanium link band
Very much agree that the Ocean band is good for gym/sweating/etc. How do you like the Starlight Alpine? I can't decide between that and white Ocean band?

Reactions: Boardiesboi

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Excellent thread! These Ultra bands get lost in the mega-every-band thread.
I wouldn't have gone for the Ocean band, but I'm really liking the look of the yellow one and the positive reports

Last edited:
Reactions: andresandiego

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
I'm running the orange Alpine for competitions, green for daily wear, and my old Apple stainless link for more formal occasions. (it went well with my Brioni suit on Saturday night when I emceed an event with an audience of a thousand people... haha)

D1G1TALR0B0T

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I got the green Apline Loop with my watch and then ordered a Trail Loop, which I will wear for marathons (it doesn‘t ship until November).

After reading this thread I ordered a Midnight Ocean band due for delivery tomorrow, can’t wait to try it out. Would it also be good for running?

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I bought the white ocean with the watch, because they had that in stock on at the apple store. I was leaning more toward the orange alpine, so I just ordered an orange alpine band after testing both bands at the store.

The ocean is really comfortable, soft, great fitting, and doesn't look as bulky in person as it does in pictures. (Not unlike the AWU itself)

I also really like the alpine. I don't think its hard to get on and off. I think the material is comfortable soft and not itchy. It almost looks like it would be stiff and scratchy but its not at all.

Both bands have the right amount of stretch that allows you to wear them secure without it being aggravating. The typical sport loops don't stretch, and while I thought they were comfortable enough, they tend to make me sweat under them. I think the ocean is a better "sport loop" and the alpine is an improvement over the typical nylon band.

The trail loops look pretty cool, and I'll probably get on eventually, but I wasn't as initially that attracted to them because they don't look that much, nor should function much different than any typical nylon velcro band.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My green alpine loop arrived yesterday. It looks beautiful and is more comfortable than the ocean band.

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
I just went to the Apple Store on Chestnut St in SF and was told they don’t do band swaps for the Ultra. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me coz she said they did for other AW, she tried to explain how the AWU comes in a bundle but I told her I have the Ultra and my wife has the S8 and they are packaged similarly with the band and watch in separate boxes. Anyway no luck for me at least at this store with this person. I might try another store later.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Got the Alpine in Starlight and have to say i like it (8/10). I was looking to get the Ocean band ( none in stock at my local store) as i do a lot of swimming. Question, has anyone swam with the alpine and how was it?
I shower with it and it dries slower than Ocean one but faster than any other fabric based one.

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Very much agree that the Ocean band is good for gym/sweating/etc. How do you like the Starlight Alpine? I can't decide between that and white Ocean band?
I love it, to me it’s fairly utilitarian for a canvas band and it looks thoughtfully designed with the hook and grab mechanism. Has both a desert adventure vibe with a mild cyber punk aesthetic. I think it arguably looks the best overall. The trail band I have on order but I feel
it is just a normal nylon sports band which I hate working out in and look kinda cheap. I want to be proven wrong tho, the ocean band is like an elevated silicone band and is 10/10.

Reactions: kmingis

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I got the White Ocean band (7/10), Midnight Ocean band (8/10), and Orange Alpine band in M (9/10).

I have a regular white sport band for previous watches and realise how it became darker in colour over time which gave me a hard time trying to keep it looking whiter than darker. So as much as I like the white when brand new, I'm probably not going to keep it.

The dark Midnight Ocean band is my keeper and go to for wet and sweaty sports.

The orange Alpine band I was hesitant, but quickly became my favourite. I love the pop of colour and the fit and feel. It's very secure on the skin and matches the International Orange button. My biggest complaint on this band is that the titanium lock loosely flops around and can hit the watch body and glass while putting on. I'll be hitting the gym with this band to see how it holds up to heavy sweat and a shower after - to see how it feels and how fast it dries.

Reactions: andresandiego

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I just went to the Apple Store on Chestnut St in SF and was told they don’t do band swaps for the Ultra. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me coz she said they did for other AW, she tried to explain how the AWU comes in a bundle but I told her I have the Ultra and my wife has the S8 and they are packaged similarly with the band and watch in separate boxes. Anyway no luck for me at least at this store with this person. I might try another store later.
Yup, that's what I was told when I tried the same. And on the latest episode of ATP a host tried to exchange the size of a band from his new non-Ultra watch and they made him go home and get the box of the AW itself. Just a total headache for what should be simple exchange.

• Sad
Reactions: a.y.n

kmingis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
NC
I love it, to me it’s fairly utilitarian for a canvas band and it looks thoughtfully designed with the hook and grab mechanism. Has both a desert adventure vibe with a mild cyber punk aesthetic. I think it arguably looks the best overall. The trail band I have on order but I feel
it is just a normal nylon sports band which I hate working out in and look kinda cheap. I want to be proven wrong tho, the ocean band is like an elevated silicone band and is 10/10.
This is a great response. Thank you!

Reactions: jamesschmidtke

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
Got the yellow ocean, I like it and it fits me well. It’s taken time to get the hang to close it properly but I’m getting there, for that reason I give it 9/10. Once you do have it secured, I don’t see how it could fall off unless you use a knife/scissors.
That second band metal clip doesn’t look right. It should also go through a band hole for a better fit.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I've switched to the orange Alpine band for my workouts to see how it holds up on the skin. It's my favourite as it's barely noticeable. Repels water and dries fast. Even when wet, it doesn't feel like a soaking cloth on the body.

Been using it for weightlifting and cycling classes. I finish soaking wet in both classes, but the watch band holds up great. I hit the shower, and you can wear it until it dries up with no noticeable wet feeling.

With the Ocean band, I can feel it on my skin including the band's thickness against my wrist. It used to be my favourite, until I used the Alpine. So I don't think I'll be using the Ocean band any longer except when going to the beach.

I'm not interested in the Trail band because it looks like the old nylon velcro bands they already sell.

Reactions: Baywatchboy

expatable

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021
Alicante, Spain
I got lucky and got the last AWU via a carrier deal. Shipped and received 48hr later. Only issue is - while I love the color and feel of my Green Alpine band - I simply do too many water sports for a cloth-like band.

In Spain, just ordering the Ocean Band is showing 1-2 months shipping dates. Any color.

Two questions: (1) is stock this low/hard to come by in the US? I’ll be there next week so curious how it is going there. (I’d check stock at the Apple Store in JAX FL, but my iPad keeps redirecting me to the Spanish / Spain Apple Store. Ugh.

And (2) any good non-Apple bands of similar style and *quality* anyone would recommend here? (Love my Nomad Sport, but the width looks a bit awkward with the new AWU.) I want the original Ocean band but just in case …

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Update: Apple Store let me come in and change the band size. They said it is very much a store specific decision but many will be able to do it if the band you want is in stock.

They just simply took my old band and box, handed me a new box off the shelf, did a $0 transaction and emailed the receipt.

As for the band… I went from Orange Alpine Medium to Orange Alpine Large so I could hook it to the side instead of the bottom of my wrist to avoid it dragging on my MacBook all day. The size up accomplished that (and is easier to put on over my hand). The difference in size is smaller than I thought, so it’s barely off the bottom of my wrist, which is nice since I like showing the loops.

But I think they shouldn’t even make 3 sizes of this band. It’s weird and the difference between sizes is small, and by nature it’s like the Ocean band where the whole strap can be hooked (yet they only make one size Ocean Band)… so I think the precise sizing makes no sense on this band. At most, it should be like the Sport or Leather bands that come in S/M and M/L. Very weird choice to give three sizes to such a flexible fastening band.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I got lucky and got the last AWU via a carrier deal. Shipped and received 48hr later. Only issue is - while I love the color and feel of my Green Alpine band - I simply do too many water sports for a cloth-like band.

In Spain, just ordering the Ocean Band is showing 1-2 months shipping dates. Any color.

Two questions: (1) is stock this low/hard to come by in the US? I’ll be there next week so curious how it is going there. (I’d check stock at the Apple Store in JAX FL, but my iPad keeps redirecting me to the Spanish / Spain Apple Store. Ugh.

And (2) any good non-Apple bands of similar style and *quality* anyone would recommend here? (Love my Nomad Sport, but the width looks a bit awkward with the new AWU.) I want the original Ocean band but just in case …

All 3 Ocean bands are in stock at the moment in Jax, FL. “Apple St. John’s Town Center”

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Ocean Yellow band came with my AWU. Then got Alpine Orange and Starlight. Returned both Alpine as I found them very uncomfortable and causing my skin to itch after 3 hours of use. Got now Ocean in white and midnight as well. Ocean band is the best for running, lifting and MTB biking which it what I do every week.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
D99A7DBF-CFF6-4F74-BE31-DBF8B4342F9D.jpeg

10/10, got the yellow one ordered and may get the midnight as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.