Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's first set of new AI features planned for iOS 18 will not rely on cloud servers at all, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iOS-18-Siri-Integrated-Feature.jpg

"As the world awaits Apple's big AI unveiling on June 10, it looks like the initial wave of features will work entirely on device," said Gurman, in the Q&A section of his Power On newsletter today. "That means there's no cloud processing component to the company's large language model, the software that powers the new capabilities."

Apple will probably still offer some cloud-based AI features powered by Google's Gemini or another provider, according to Gurman. Apple has reportedly held discussions with companies such as Google, OpenAI, and China's Baidu about potential generative AI partnerships. iOS 18 is not expected to include Apple's own ChatGPT-like chatbot, but it is unclear if Gemini or other chatbot will be directly integrated into iOS 18.

It is possible that Apple could offer some of its own cloud-based generative AI features in the future, as Apple supply chain analysts like Ming-Chi Kuo and Jeff Pu have said that the company is actively purchasing AI servers.

iOS 18 is rumored to have new generative AI features for the iPhone's Spotlight search tool, Siri, Safari, Shortcuts, Apple Music, Messages, Health, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, and more. Gurman previously reported that generative AI will improve Siri's ability to answer more complex questions, and allow the Messages app to auto-complete sentences.

Apple is expected to unveil iOS 18 and other software updates at its annual developers conference WWDC, which runs from June 10 through June 14.

Article Link: Apple's First AI Features in iOS 18 Reportedly Won't Use Cloud Servers

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
iOS 18 is rumored to have new generative AI features for the iPhone's Spotlight search tool, Siri, Safari, Shortcuts, Apple Music, Messages, Health, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, and more. Gurman previously reported that generative AI will improve Siri's ability to answer more complex questions, and allow the Messages app to auto-complete sentences.

Where does it state that Apple will use the "generative AI"?

From Tims comment referenced in earlier MacRumor articles:
"As we look ahead, we will continue to invest in these and other technologies that will shape the future. That includes artificial intelligence, where we continue to spend a tremendous amount of time and effort and we're excited to share the details of our ongoing work in that space later this year."

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Honestly I'm over the generative AI hype train.

I want my photos to actually capture reality. I have no interest in putting fake expressions on people's faces or moving them around in the image or adding or removing things from the image.

If I need AI to write my texts or emails I clearly have nothing to say.

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
I want my photos to actually capture reality. I have no interest in putting fake expressions on people's faces or moving them around in the image or adding or removing things from the image.
Exactly where I'm at. If I "AI" edit a photo, i can never share it out of concern a friend will spot it looks 'weird' or 'not like them'.

Yes, digital processing of light and exposure can affect people's complexion, but that's a far cry from changing their actual face.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
I hate the way creative stuff is implemented because it's mostly lazy and polluting with more paraphrasing and stuff.

It over complexifies simple things and makes the information even further from being accessed.

Reactions: mjs916 and jchap

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013

Not possible to do such stuff with apple's stock apps.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Although I don’t really care about AI, this is actually good and futureproof. What if there will be no Internet? After all stupid iranian drones can disrupt cellular and Internet communications and knock whole power plants out
What do you use SIrI for if your have no internet? If you say find jpegs it's not going to do a spotlight search of your local storage. How many commands and interpretation could be stored locally? If you are fact-finding it usually goes to web services for results. Same for calculations.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
What do you use SIrI for if your have no internet? If you say find jpegs it's not going to do a spotlight search of your local storage. How many commands and interpretation could be stored locally? If you are fact-finding it usually goes to web services for results. Same for calculations.
I think it would have been cool if they intergated some “basic knowledge” into it, I mean some information that is stored on main storage and can be further downloaded with Internet. For example if I ask “Siri, who was the president of the US in 1994” I would get instant answer with basic biography even without Internet. Considering it is text information I don’t think it would require much storage.

It would have been ideal for students and teachers. I do understand they all have Internet now, but considering how our world is changing and that we are literally on the edge of WWIII, this would be very handy for everyone in every corner of the world. I think this is exactly what Apple is aiming for, maybe kinda of Intelligent offline Wikipedia

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I don’t use Siri ( nor any other voice tool), I am perfectly capable of writing my own sentences and can navigate thru websites for research and everything else…
Just give me a toggle to disable all genAI crap and I’ll be happy…

Also, worth to actually read Gorman’s newsletter today to get his perspective on that Humane AI pin…

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
"That means there's no cloud processing component to the company's large language model, the software that powers the new capabilities."
You know, this sounds cool, until you realize that AI models are extremely memory-hungry, and the iPhone 15 and 15 Pro only have 6 GB and 8 GB of RAM respectively.

So either Apple's "large" language models are very small to the point of being kind of unhelpful (like Microsoft's Phi-2 or Google's Gemma-2b), or they're larger models that have just been quantized (compressed) into artificial unintelligence. Either way, it's not going to be much of a step up from the Siri we all know and, uh... "love." 🙃

hoorayforhollywood

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2017
We all know Apple's software and hardware engineers are under extreme pressure at all times with a yearly release schedule. But here's pressure - announce something at WWDC in June for a September release whilst still being in discussions in April with third parties about how it actually accesses information.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I think it would have been cool if they intergated some “basic knowledge” into it, I mean some information that is stored on main storage and can be further downloaded with Internet. For example if I ask “Siri, who was the president of the US in 1994” I would get instant answer with basic biography even without Internet. Considering it is text information I don’t think it would require much storage.

It would have been ideal for students and teachers. I do understand they all have Internet now, but considering how our world is changing and that we are literally on the edge of WWIII, this would be very handy for everyone in every corner of the world. I think this is exactly what Apple is aiming for, maybe kinda of Intelligent offline Wikipedia.
A recent query of information stored as text file you could reexamine would be a nice addition. Thats a possibility to enhancing the OS's for non-internet usage. Also that iPhones for example with increased storage could utilizer that, unless the user has too much media locally saved. :)

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I sincerely hope this Gurman is wrong from his latest gossip, as Siri would be cloud based.
That depends on how Siri is used. I expect Apple to make things fairly modular with small, local AI/Machine Learning features in apps, server-based generative AI, and maybe a local, small LLM in Siri to handle interaction and to make use of the other AI modules. That lets them use local or server depending on the function and how much resources it needs. It also would let them swap different AI providers in an out as needed. When rumors said that Apple was going to use Gemini, I never expected them to just have a single, answer-bot AI. That is too limiting and doesn’t provide the value of integrating with their hardware, OS, and apps.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
That depends on how Siri is used. I expect Apple to make things fairly modular with small, local AI/Machine Learning features in apps, server-based generative AI, and maybe a local, small LLM in Siri to handle interaction and to make use of the other AI modules. That lets them use local or server depending on the function and how much resources it needs. It also would let them swap different AI providers in an out as needed. When rumors said that Apple was going to use Gemini, I never expected them to just have a single, answer-bot AI. That is too limiting and doesn’t provide the value of integrating with their hardware, OS, and apps.
The famous knowledge navigator example is somewhat autonomous AI, but modularizing parts of AI that could be retained locally like cached media along with some expanded interaction commands is possible. It sounds like the future OS requirements against Ram and storage would increase making some cheapest device configurations undesirable. Reminds me of the stage manager dilemma with iPadOS.

Last edited:

Chazz12

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2022
Austin, TX
Exactly where I'm at. If I "AI" edit a photo, i can never share it out of concern a friend will spot it looks 'weird' or 'not like them'.

Yes, digital pro

That may be your opinion, but a lot of people can find this useful. It would have helped Michael, here, a lot.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018

It would have been ideal for students and teachers. I do understand they all have Internet now, but considering how our world is changing and that we are literally on the edge of WWIII, this would be very handy for everyone in every corner of the world. I think this is exactly what Apple is aiming for, maybe kinda of Intelligent offline Wikipedia
Lol that’s not how LLM works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.