Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
The Encyclopedia Britannica used to be available on CD-ROM and later DVD. As a corpus of information and curated facts to draw on without the need for an Internet connection, this was likely an invaluable resource for many people of all walks of life interested in gaining knowledge. The problem was that as an offline resource, it could never stay current or include any new information beyond its publication date.

If Apple can manage to condense that kind of knowledge resource into an on-device database that can then be accessed offline using an AI-driven speech engine that can process English or any other source language in a fluent and natural way, I imagine that might go a long way towards curbing the tendency people have nowadays to simply throw it to ChatGPT, Gemini or Bing Copilot and take their answers verbatim.

Of course, encyclopedias and generative AI are two different things, but they're both built off a corpus of knowledge. If Apple can license a well-established knowledge base like Britannica and pair it with the right technology that lets people actually do something useful with it offline, at least this would help avoid the copyright problems plaguing generative AI now.

"Putting Wikipedia on an iPhone" (and in multiple languages!) seems prohibitive from a storage point of view, but if that's one of the directions that Apple is going for, it at least seems consistent with their environmental and educational goals.

Of course, maybe I'm reading too much into Gurman's take on this, and Apple's new AI engines are still going to search for knowledge online, just make it easier and more natural for you to do it (i.e. a revamped Siri).

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Honestly I'm over the generative AI hype train.

I want my photos to actually capture reality. I have no interest in putting fake expressions on people's faces or moving them around in the image or adding or removing things from the image.

If I need AI to write my texts or emails I clearly have nothing to say.
so I have a little anecdote to share about the moment I realized AI could actually be useful for photo editing. was looking through photos & spotted a lovely picture of someone very dear to me…with someone I don’t quite care for in the frame, just kinda blurry. was thinking “wow, would be nice to just have that person not be in the photo…” and had a little moment of envy for Pixel owners.

I’m not gonna act like I’m not over the hype of generative AI, it’s entirely too much. ChatGPT/DALL-E are not the solution to the world’s issues. that being said- I do think there is a place for such technology. in an age where Photoshop has existed for decades, why not automate simpler tasks for the average user? we as humans are constantly looking for ways to automate, for better or for worse—I think image editing through generative AI is a change for the better. image creation gets into an entire debate that I’m not gonna bring up in a non-PRSI thread.

also, if it wasn’t obvious, I’m an extremely verbose person and cGPT does occasionally help me to make important emails/texts more concise. I do find that helpful. 🤪

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
For example if I ask “Siri, who was the president of the US in 1994” I would get instant answer with basic biography even without Internet.

Are you sure about that?

Turn off cellular.
Turn on airplane mode.
Turn off WiFi.

Ask Siri who was president in the year 2000.
Siri: “To do that you need to turn off airplane mode.”
Turn off airplane mode.
Ask again.
Siri: “To do that you need to be online.

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
Looks like a rote repetition of the hype cycle around AI. But the reality is pretty removed from that. So-called generative AI is still relatively new and is already bumping up against copyright law. Meanwhile it’s in the process of eating itself as these models scrape AI content to train AI to make more AI content.

This idea that AI is going to “revolutionize everything” is completely misguided. Generative AI doesn’t create anything. It just cluges together pre-existing content and smears it into a generic mess that gets less and less accurate and relevant as the system eats itself.

AI exploits actual human creativity without compensating creators in order to output sub-par content. It is not sustainable. It’s basically NFT 2.0.
NFT 2.0 is it. All across the internet many incel and far right profiles embrace AI everything, plastic cartoons replacing apes. A meme factory for the disinfo addicts/pushers and H*tler apologists. The crypto 3.0 youth burned by their losses or emboldened by their wins exist in a community weaponized to finance and help further push unreality. So the muddying of the waters caused by AI infecting shared truth is no accident.

When shared truth/news is made unreliable/unkowable, we’re left with nihilism, fractured bits of truth diluted with lies, or the propaganda of the powerful writing reality. Humans can only handle so much anxiety, so many will retreat from caring. I’m not saying this is a new thing, but the advent of LLMs and AI for text and images and video endangers humanity at a new scale. Watching gamergaters become cryptos become NFTists become AI-enthusiasts has not been pleasant.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
That's great and all, but how much will be available only on the 16 series?
This is exactly what I want to know. All of this talk of the M4 series of chips makes me concerned about the capabilities of my lowly M2.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Completing sentences is so lame if that’s a headlining feature.

Just give me a Siri that works with a modicum of intelligence. It’s so embarrassing for Apple that Siri is not much better than what Apple introduced in the 90’s with the Quadra AV models.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
The Encyclopedia Britannica used to be available on CD-ROM and later DVD. As a corpus of information and curated facts to draw on without the need for an Internet connection, this was likely an invaluable resource for many people of all walks of life interested in gaining knowledge. The problem was that as an offline resource, it could never stay current or include any new information beyond its publication date.

If Apple can manage to condense that kind of knowledge resource into an on-device database that can then be accessed offline using an AI-driven speech engine that can process English or any other source language in a fluent and natural way, I imagine that might go a long way towards curbing the tendency people have nowadays to simply throw it to ChatGPT, Gemini or Bing Copilot and take their answers verbatim.

Of course, encyclopedias and generative AI are two different things, but they're both built off a corpus of knowledge. If Apple can license a well-established knowledge base like Britannica and pair it with the right technology that lets people actually do something useful with it offline, at least this would help avoid the copyright problems plaguing generative AI now.

"Putting Wikipedia on an iPhone" (and in multiple languages!) seems prohibitive from a storage point of view, but if that's one of the directions that Apple is going for, it at least seems consistent with their environmental and educational goals.

Of course, maybe I'm reading too much into Gurman's take on this, and Apple's new AI engines are still going to search for knowledge online, just make it easier and more natural for you to do it (i.e. a revamped Siri).
I’m just mulling over how much this would cost as a subscription. I can’t see Apple doing it for free.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Honestly I'm over the generative AI hype train.

I want my photos to actually capture reality. I have no interest in putting fake expressions on people's faces or moving them around in the image or adding or removing things from the image.

If I need AI to write my texts or emails I clearly have nothing to say.
Totally agree!

The only use I'd make of AI is asking trivia questions, and (hopefully) get a real answer, or give vocal commands to my devices.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
That's great and all, but how much will be available only on the 16 series?
I think a lot of people share your fear, including me. I bought an iPhone 15, and eventually not getting a chatgpt-like feature "just because of lack of power" kinda makes me nervous and anxious.

Reactions: Fraserpatty

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I'm fascinated to see what can be done with local AI on a device with low RAM. Either the output with be low quality or incredibly slow. I can't see how they'll get around that hurdle.

Reactions: arkitect and jchap

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
This is exactly what I was hoping for. All ai rn is all cloud based. Apples will be different and be on device 🥳

There's a LOT that's not cloud-based. Anything llama.cpp, ollama, mistral, and the list goes on... Some requires large amounts of RAM, some models are optimized for smaller amounts of RAM but suffer as a result. Those can probably be fine-tuned for specific tasks however, which is probably what Apple is going for (and what they've already done for text completions in iOS17 for example)

Reactions: Tagbert and jchap

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Maybe the AI will be primarily focused on non-language tasks? That would be the most feasible, and still let Apple proudly say "A.I." a thousand times at WWDC?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Translation: AI will only work on iOS 18 with Pro Max iPhone devices with 8 GB of ram and 16 cores and 256 GB storage. o_O

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Looks like a rote repetition of the hype cycle around AI. But the reality is pretty removed from that. So-called generative AI is still relatively new and is already bumping up against copyright law. Meanwhile it’s in the process of eating itself as these models scrape AI content to train AI to make more AI content.

This idea that AI is going to “revolutionize everything” is completely misguided. Generative AI doesn’t create anything. It just cluges together pre-existing content and smears it into a generic mess that gets less and less accurate and relevant as the system eats itself.

AI exploits actual human creativity without compensating creators in order to output sub-par content. It is not sustainable. It’s basically NFT 2.0.

That’s what a lot of the user facing hyped services are doing, yes.

What it’s really good at is being an expert system. If you can train it on just the data you care about, it’s quite good. It’s what we’ve been using computers for in the first place. We have the data, we know what we want from it, we want the computer to process it for us.

I do share your lack of optimism that it’s going to become a truly useful consumer service any time soon due to the issues highlighted. It’s like the web and all the other technologies. Great potential, but commercialization ruins everything even as it enables it to exist in the first place.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Maybe the AI will be primarily focused on non-language tasks? That would be the most feasible, and still let Apple proudly say "A.I." a thousand times at WWDC?
This already happens in iOS but has historically been called Machine Learning (ML). It’s this feature that allows you to search for cat pictures in your Photos library, for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.