Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
This already happens in iOS but has historically been called Machine Learning (ML). It’s this feature that allows you to search for cat pictures in your Photos library, for example.
I'm aware 🙂 I was just trying to point out whatever it is, I can't see it being LLM related on portables. 👍🏼

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't care if we call it "Siri" or "AI" -- Can it just work better please?

Siri is a hot bin of flaming garbage

360_F_620649221_NNog9qjGv2o6PYExAnkaDQt53Cp26tGO.jpg

Reactions: ric22

Atog

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2023
How much capable will be A16 chips, or older? Also how about M series in iPad don't tell me they'll make obsolete so many tech at once? What would Mother Nature say about that?

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I imagine an AI feature that could make creating Shortcuts so much easier. I have are so many ideas for Shortcuts that would make my life easier, but no idea how to create the instruction sets so they actually do something, let alone what I want them to.
Yes. How do we give apple this feedback?

Building shortcuts is not from common folk. I’ve worked in IT for 25 years, and I have no idea how to build some thing with the Shortcuts app. Imagine my father who knows nothing about technology but once the simplicity of an iPhone, and tell him how to build a Shortcut

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I know what you meant, but there's really no bottom that discussion. It's turtles all the way down. Best you can do is have a photo that reasonably approximates your perceived reality.

Obviously it’s largely subjective but not completely. We can compare output from the iPhone to photos from other sources to get a more objective idea of what Apple is doing with photo processing… and it isn’t great. In fact, that appears to be the issue with people who think iPhone makes great photos. They’re only looking at iPhone output, not comparing it to other cameras.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
I think it would have been cool if they intergated some “basic knowledge” into it, I mean some information that is stored on main storage and can be further downloaded with Internet. For example if I ask “Siri, who was the president of the US in 1994” I would get instant answer with basic biography even without Internet. Considering it is text information I don’t think it would require much storage.

It would have been ideal for students and teachers. I do understand they all have Internet now, but considering how our world is changing and that we are literally on the edge of WWIII, this would be very handy for everyone in every corner of the world. I think this is exactly what Apple is aiming for, maybe kinda of Intelligent offline Wikipedia
No way, people would complain too much about lost storage space.

The only way this could work is if they gave people a choice whether they want this or not.

The entire Wikipedia in pure text only form is still ~23GB when compressed.

Reactions: shadowboi

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Obviously it’s largely subjective but not completely. We can compare output from the iPhone to photos from other sources to get a more objective idea of what Apple is doing with photo processing… and it isn’t great. In fact, that appears to be the issue with people who think iPhone makes great photos. They’re only looking at iPhone output, not comparing it to other cameras.
I was just being pedantic, pointing out that no camera is truly going to capture reality. No camera can even really capture your own subjective perception of reality, even if you think it does. But lack of a shared objective reality aside, I have a DSLR and a nice mirrorless, with handful of lenses and I barely used them for years. Mostly because I don't do it as a hobby anymore, and they are a pain to lug around and deal with. For what I'm doing, an iPhone camera is a dramatic improvement in quality of life and takes pretty great photos in most circumstances. In my experience, most people who say there's a huge difference couldn't really tell a difference if pressed on it; heck, some of my favorite shots that I've taken were taken with an iPhone... not because Apple's computational photography is magic, but because of composition and subject. Unless you're a serious professional photog, there's no reason to have that strong of an opinion on the subject. Most people couldn't tell you which is a DSLR and which is flagship smartphone shots, not much better than chance anyway.

Reactions: Surf Monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.