Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Honestly I'm over the generative AI hype train.

I want my photos to actually capture reality. I have no interest in putting fake expressions on people's faces or moving them around in the image or adding or removing things from the image.

If I need AI to write my texts or emails I clearly have nothing to say.
Its become a huge issue... AI is more disruptive than you think

It affects everything... and all companies are diving head first into it because its become the next big thing

Already schools and universities are detecting its use in projects and other assignments... people are using it instead of doing real research (they rely on the AI to find things).

Images, videos and sound are being modified or just generated from scratch using AI

AI is helping people do their jobs, sometimes without the employers knowledge.

AI is helping people apply for jobs!

I think AI has a place... but companies and people really have to think about what they are doing... there is a huge ethical aspect they are just not looking at. As always, in moderation it's fine... but all I see is everyone eating as much AI cake as they can. Its everywhere... and I actually find it off-putting.

Apple used to avoid the term AI... but now seem happy to shout it out.

rosuna

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2017
Captura de Pantalla 2024-04-14 a las 20.53.37.jpg

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
I imagine an AI feature that could make creating Shortcuts so much easier. I have are so many ideas for Shortcuts that would make my life easier, but no idea how to create the instruction sets so they actually do something, let alone what I want them to.
Exactly this. If they have been able to train sub-models of Ferret, MM1, ReALM, and their other small models to do extremely specific Apple ecosystem jobs, there could be some really elegant tailored experiences in the home. Also with file management, in all kinds of daily use cases and done on-device, as in, also on HomePods and Apple TV.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I do understand they all have Internet now, but considering how our world is changing and that we are literally on the edge of WWIII, this would be very handy for everyone in every corner of the world. I think this is exactly what Apple is aiming for, maybe kinda of Intelligent offline Wikipedia
Great idea. Maybe Apple should also build underground iVaults.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
...presumably with lots of storage and/or RAM for it... presumably at Apple storage & RAM prices. Shareholders rejoice. 💰💰💰
How about this topic?
Not only more RAM and storage, but bigger batteries also for whats localized on mobile devices! :eek:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You know, this sounds cool, until you realize that AI models are extremely memory-hungry, and the iPhone 15 and 15 Pro only have 6 GB and 8 GB of RAM respectively.

So either Apple's "large" language models are very small to the point of being kind of unhelpful (like Microsoft's Phi-2 or Google's Gemma-2b), or they're larger models that have just been quantized (compressed) into artificial unintelligence. Either way, it's not going to be much of a step up from the Siri we all know and, uh... "love." 🙃
Or, you know, Apple is far ahead of the game in its on-device capabilities because they’ve been developing them in the background for 10 years instead of releasing tech demos to the public for a stock bump?

The recent white papers show Apple’s approach to on-device AI is far less RAM dependent than what the rest of the industry is doing.

This reminds me of everyone claiming there was no way that Apple would bring a 64 bit mobile chip to the iPhone because ARM didn’t have a 64 bit reference design yet. But they did, because Apple doesn’t just do common wisdom in the market, if they have an end goal they approach it in a way that makes sense for their ecosystem.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Sep 5, 2016

It affects everything... and all companies are diving head first into it because its become the next big thing

Already schools and universities are detecting its use in projects and other assignments... people are using it instead of doing real research (they rely on the AI to find things).

Images, videos and sound are being modified or just generated from scratch using AI

I think AI has a place... but companies and people really have to think about what they are doing... there is a huge ethical aspect they are just not looking at. As always, in moderation it's fine... but all I see is everyone eating as much AI cake as they can. Its everywhere... and I actually find it off-putting.
Isn't there a way to remove this ability from AI?

In other words, can't these be restricted by the AI maker?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Not possible to do such stuff with apple's stock apps.

No, but but the point is valid. Apple applies WAY TOO MUCH post processing to the images the iPhone makes. So much so that they stop looking natural and start looking weird. The ability to take a picture with an iPhone that actually looks like the thing you’re shooting passed some time ago. The “Photonic Engine” was good initially but now it needs to be reigned in.

Reactions: 1984 and arkitect

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Apple used to avoid the term AI... but now seem happy to shout it out.

Looks like a rote repetition of the hype cycle around AI. But the reality is pretty removed from that. So-called generative AI is still relatively new and is already bumping up against copyright law. Meanwhile it’s in the process of eating itself as these models scrape AI content to train AI to make more AI content.

This idea that AI is going to “revolutionize everything” is completely misguided. Generative AI doesn’t create anything. It just cluges together pre-existing content and smears it into a generic mess that gets less and less accurate and relevant as the system eats itself.

AI exploits actual human creativity without compensating creators in order to output sub-par content. It is not sustainable. It’s basically NFT 2.0.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Looks like a rote repetition of the hype cycle around AI. But the reality is pretty removed from that. So-called generative AI is still relatively new and is already bumping up against copyright law. Meanwhile it’s in the process of eating itself as these models scrape AI content to train AI to make more AI content.

This idea that AI is going to “revolutionize everything” is completely misguided. Generative AI doesn’t create anything. It just cluges together pre-existing content and smears it into a generic mess that gets less and less accurate and relevant as the system eats itself.

AI exploits actual human creativity without compensating creators in order to output sub-par content. It is not sustainable. It’s basically NFT 2.0.
These are key issues... and legal issues are mounting for sure.

The more recent impact is people relying on it... then finding out it's not as good as they thought... or worse, getting fired or dismissed from school for outright cheating.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
These are key issues... and legal issues are mounting for sure.

The more recent impact is people relying on it... then finding out it's not as good as they thought... or worse, getting fired or dismissed from school for outright cheating.

This happened to my partner. Her office changed to using AI to output patient reports (she’s a doctor) and while the system initially seemed to help their productivity it became clear very quickly that it was outputting various subtle errors and they had to go back to the standard way with doctors writing their own reports.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I want my photos to actually capture reality. I have no interest in putting fake expressions on people's faces or moving them around in the image or adding or removing things from the image.

Since when did photos ever ‘capture reality’.

The expression itself is meaningless. It’s become a pretentious virtue signal.

I’ve seen guys on photography forums complain about the use of AI and how they don’t ‘capture reality’, then in their next breath praise beautiful bokeh in another thread.

ohthehorror

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2015

Best post ever.

Reactions: jchap

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No, but but the point is valid. Apple applies WAY TOO MUCH post processing to the images the iPhone makes. So much so that they stop looking natural and start looking weird. The ability to take a picture with an iPhone that actually looks like the thing you’re shooting passed some time ago. The “Photonic Engine” was good initially but now it needs to be reigned in.
Isn’t that why the RAW shooting exists for non-casual photography people though?

My pictures serve more as reminders for me personally. Few if any get shared.

Reactions: Tagbert

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

Or just bad at putting thoughts on paper in a professional manner. Like me.

[AI version:
"Struggling to articulate ideas in writing with a professional tone, similar to my own experience."]

Helps me daily to write emails to c-Level

Reactions: Fraserpatty

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I was figuring Apple would have some of its AI performed on-device. That’s a good sign. Looking forward to see Apple’s implementation, sometimes they have a knack for coming up with things nobody predicted despite the intense coverage and rumor mill. Could be underwhelming or they could have a killer feature.

I’ve got a feeling no matter what how cool or underwhelming the initial reveal is, Apple will find a way to utilize AI in the long run in way that feels more natural. Or not, we shall see.

Reactions: jchap

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
So Apple can put china AI in all iPhones but tik tok should be banned?

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
I imagine an AI feature that could make creating Shortcuts so much easier. I have are so many ideas for Shortcuts that would make my life easier, but no idea how to create the instruction sets so they actually do something, let alone what I want them to.
I like this idea. That would make it assistive AI which would be all the AI I want, and just on-device-only. How could generative AI be on-device anyway?

Or am I misunderstanding “on-device” … it will store all the knowledge data to generate from on the phone? No way. It must mean connecting to the internet, finding the data, bring it all back to the device to process it there faster than on the servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.