Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idiotattacker

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Apple needs more time to copy their competition.

Correction: they need more time to clean up their drinks which were spit out in their uproarious laughter at what other companies are producing, which won't even be considered competition when Apple releases theirs.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
2014: The year everything got pushed to 2015

Apples doing great with this new tradition, it could also be said with great accuracy that 2013 was pushed into 2014. Proving once again they no longer need anything new to keep the revenue flowing.

Just wind up Tim Cook and let him give his "big things are coming" speech. This guys even better than Steve Jobs.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
"Enter a new category" does not mean "selling a new category". The company is working on a new category and a ton of money is being spent on a new category, which fits well into his statement from a $tockholder$ financial perspective. It means they're going to be spending a lot of money and resources on a new category in 2014, letting stockholders know that there might be an impact on profits. At least, as a big stockholder, that's how I took it.

Makes sense, thanks.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Not a bad strategy to delay actually. There's a lot of noise in the wearable space right now...let it die down.

And by die, I mean fail. Let the Galaxy Gear, Pebble and Moto 270/360 all fail and then show them how a wearable should perform (assuming it's something revolutionary). If it simply is a notification device, then I don't really believe it'll gain mass traction like an iPhone.

Agreed. And it certainly will not have the traction of an iPhone in the beginning, but if they can corner the market with a standardized interface for others to build software and hardware on like current day apps, it will grow into something very big. This 'new device' will certainly integrate fully into the Mac and iPhone platforms, creating an expanded Apple ecosystem that works.

Who knows, the so called "watch' may end up being a series of wearable sensors able to measure an monitor everything from pulse, to sugar levels, to heart QRST, to cancer levels, to orgasms. The possibilities are limitless once you standardize and get buy-in to the system.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I wonder what impact, if any, the competition's attempts at releasing smart watches are having on Apple's plans.

One could venture a guess that they are trying to ramp up to meet demand and get their product into the market before folks lose patience and buy something else. The other side of the story could be that they have now seen what the competition is offering and know that they do not need to rush because their product is (perceived by them to be) miles ahead like the iPhone was in 2007 relative to its competition.

Only the folks in Cupertino really know, but I bet some timelines have changed one way or another due to what they're seeing in the market.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I wonder what impact, if any, the competition's attempts at releasing smart watches are having on Apple's plans.

I'm sure it's having significant impact on some of the things they're doing. Using others to do market research for you is common practice.

BTW, I've given up on any idea that what they will be releasing will have much semblance to a watch. I already have the tiny iPod on a wristband that does that. Telling time will be insignificant compared to what this wearable device will provide, just like the iPhone providing time is insignificant to what it does.

Last edited:

CGJay

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Well if this is the case...I hope Apple is waiting until January so they can announce it before it goes into production – like they did with the iPhone and iPad – even if they start selling in summer.

nick987

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
People seem to forget that Apple needs to build up a lot of hype before releasing a product. Here's my take on Apple's future releases:

september 9: new iPhone 6 with a release a couple of weeks later
October: New 12 inch macbook air, iMac with retina display.
Possible iwatch ANNOUNCEMENT in january and a release several months later.

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
i, for one, am happy to accept a delay on the iwatch if it means getting it more right out of the gate. this is rapidly becoming a very crowded and competitive device space and i would like to see the iwatch dominate like we know apple is capable of, pushing it all further in a quantum leap. the last thing they need to do is show up being an 'also ran'.

and personally, i get really excited when i see these todd hamilton mockups. i would be very happy to have the actual device be something just like this. i think it's very forward thinking, looks quite cool to me, and different, not just imitating a watch, like some others we could mention.... this concept looks like it works, well. and would be fun to use. imho.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The iWatch comes in multiple sizes, but I think it should come in a shrinking form factor. Heavy folks would wind up losing weight, so the watch should accommodate the likely reduction in circumference.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol @ copy the competition...

I'd agree with that..

But, I always expected push back anyway....

And, since this isn't the first time, i predict more delays, because i don't even believe their will be one. Since up till now, there has never been any announcement from Apple..

But hey, what do I know..... It just keep u lot happy :)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I will let the Sept 9th event decide if I should care about this - very unsure what the iWatch will bring us.

I swear all these iPhone 6 leaks are out there to keep the iWatch under wraps. Even Apple doesn't know what the hell to do with it I bet.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I checked salary.com for the payrate of "analysts" but couldn't find any. Does anyone know how much these morons get paid?

Seriously this article is so pointless its laughable. Some nobody is talking about a product that no one knows anything about and it gets front page on Macrumors. :p

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Correction: they need more time to clean up their drinks which were spit out in their uproarious laughter at what other companies are producing, which won't even be considered competition when Apple releases theirs.

Well didn't we learn recently that they have bi-weekly drinks evenings? Should be ample opportunity :).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Why does Ming get so much airtime on MR? Does she pay to play or something? I always see her placing bets on both sides of the coin - and then saying she won! What credibility does she have with anyone if her predictions are more vague than an astrologer throws out??

Anybody can make this type of blind dart throws.

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
There is no watch. Apple are developing an implant that will pulsate in the palm of your hand when your time is up.

They'll come in green and red but there's reports that the white version has been delayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.