Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
I give up waiting. I'm most likely not buying one, now. I don't even know if it would have a purpose, really.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
An 4.7 inch iphone and upgraded ipad is enough to make the product pipeline of 2014 the best pipeline in 20 years.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I find it funny how you have to slide to unlock on that skinny screen. LOL. I know it's just a concept but I think something of a pinch gesture with 2 fingers starting from the top/bottom and going towards the middle would work much better to unlock it. :)

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Also, why create this huge sapphire infrastructure that is already up and running, if the iWatch is not coming anytime soon?
Apple does not need this massive amount of sapphire production capacity for small watches. I think the sapphire is for existing devices like the trackpad (MBP, MBA, standalone) and future sensors. Sapphire is lighter and more robust than glass and this allows thinner devices (together with Broadwell).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i guess the delay would give more time for Apple to get sapphire, as i'm sure that's why it's delayed.

The bigger iphone 6 already had problems, which was why it was "pushed" back a month, something i doubt they'll launch, so its only expected that the same technology their using in iwatch or any other products would be delayed too..

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Oh yeah... I predict that iHome, iCar and iRobot will not be be launched in 2014. Will this go headlines in MR tomorrow? :p

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
An 4.7 inch iphone and upgraded ipad is enough to make the product pipeline of 2014 the best pipeline in 20 years.

If it came with iOS 6, I'd agree on this point. Apple seems to have a blindspot with 7s and above, I went to Windows full-time two weeks after 10.7 Lion came out, and to Windows Phone full-time about a month after ioS 7 came out ... and I have not once considered going back. THAT would be the best pipeline -ever-. Updates to Snow Leopard and iOS 6.

Actually, going back further, System 7 was fantastic, so it's only since OS X that any of this holds true.

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
I don't understand your comment, the ipad is not really selling well. Last I heard the numbers were not only going down but rather sharply.

Lol did you just say the iPad is not really selling well?? It's the #1 selling tablet in the world by far. All tablet sales have slowed because the market has been saturated. Now it'll be like the iPhone.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I call them earbuds. Apple calls them EarPods.

Still, buying Beats and saying 'yep, new category. This is what we meant,' would make a lot of people feel mislead.

When Tim said 'new category' I'm sure we all though something new enough to warrant it's own tab on apples website.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Didn't everyone expect that.

It will be late, it will be beautiful, it will be more expensive than anything else on the market. It will incorporate health monitoring and have lots of optional add on's that only Apple will sell.

How much do these analysts get paid?

enricopalazzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
The display is the biggest challenge for an iWatch. Samsung and LG are leading in curved and flexible OLED Displays and they did not manage to bring it on their watches, so how is apple supposed to do it?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Perhaps Apple is indeed going to use "solid state batteries" in the iWatch. According to a german news article (sorry - not allowed to access Google translate here) so far those have been used in highly specialized sensor applications and similar areas, where high cost and low production volume is less of a problem.

Technologically the liquid electrolyte is replaced by a solid material. This is said to give significant increases in battery time as well as space savings and improved safety.

Company "Applied Materials" has now announced to introduce a new production method to solve problems in material processing and make solid state batteries affordable. The company claims that the new method allows for producing prototypes close to mass production status and that the necessary new machines are already in use by customers in the battery industry.

One of the first uses will be in the "Wearable" sector, according to the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.