Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The problem the UK has is that it is a multicultural society and in many cultures, interaction between adults and children is legal, in their culture but their culture clashes with UK law because whilst the legal age for consent to sex is 16, and it is a criminal offence for anyone to be involved in a sexual act (sexual intercourse, sexual touching, kissing etc) with anyone under the age of 13 whether the young person agrees or not, on the basis that anyone under 13 lacks the capacity to give valid consent to any sexual act. There are cultures that legally allow sexual acts to take place with children under the age of 16 but as you can see, the UK has laws that prevent this so whilst someone may think they are behaving legally, whilst they are in the UK, what they are doing is actually illegal and as such the UK government has to protect children in the UK from all angles, culturally legal and criminal.

This wiki page shows the ages of sex consent of countries around the world and I think you'll be surprised at how young some of the ages are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_by_country
Yes people living and working in the UK need to abide by it's laws but you can see from the wiki page, if you have people from many of those countries who have been brought up with their own laws on age of consent and interaction with children, it can be difficult for them to adjust to the laws of the country they now reside in. I'm not making excuses for them but I can understand the difficulties. Hence why UK children need to be protected. Just because it was OK in their country does not mean it is OK in the UK.

Apple communication safety feature is a very good thing for the UK. I just hope UK parents take it onboard.
I don't think anyone arriving newly in any country assumes the laws are the same as their mother country. What a load of rubbish.

Also, why does it sound like you're making it out to be only immigrants who are the perpetrators of this stuff? Laws are laws, and concerning children are strict and obvious in all but a small handful of countries, and even in that small handful of countries children are not a free for all, without any consequence. The UK has more than enough homegrown weirdos without trying to distinguish between those and immigrants.

What you're saying amounts to: "Immigrants are the problem because they dont understand that although they can have sex with children in their own country they come to the UK and do it here because they don't know the law". Faulty assumptions, faulty logic, and faulty premise.

Reactions: PandaPunch

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I don't think anyone arriving newly in any country assumes the laws are the same as their mother country. What a load of rubbish.

Also, why does it sound like you're making it out to be only immigrants who are the perpetrators of this stuff? Laws are laws, and concerning children are strict and obvious in all but a small handful of countries, and even in that small handful of countries children are not a free for all, without any consequence. The UK has more than enough homegrown weirdos without trying to distinguish between those and immigrants.

What you're saying amounts to: "Immigrants are the problem because they dont understand that although they can have sex with children in their own country they come to the UK and do it here because they don't know the law". Faulty assumptions, faulty logic, and faulty premise.
I'm extremely glad I'm not the only one who was really bothered by that post.

Reactions: cupcakes2000

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Actually we do in the US.

Quite a range.
That's really missing the point. Even in the United States, folks from different states are generally grossed out by the idea of adults grooming and having sex with children/teens. Plus, I don't consider 16-18 to be "quite the range" and seems like efforts to lower or lessen the age of consent laws in various states get struck down anyways.

While I don't live in California, I don't think the standard Californian is going to start saying, "Well, that person is from Rhode Island and their age of consent is 16, we better keep an eye on them" it's just a bad and xenophobic idea to imply or even outright state that immigrants are going to move into the UK and start assaulting kids. It never ends well.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Eh... just because someone comes from a country where age of consent is lower doesn't mean that they agree with it. This idea that a multicultural society is going to have issues over age of consent is laughable at best and really, really gross at the very worst. The United States is also a multicultural society and we do not have this so called culture clash over age of consent. That is bordering on xenophobia to suggest we need to "protect" UK or American children from what amounts to immigrants and only immigrants because second and third generation immigrants don't have the excuse of "my old country was this way".
aaahhh here we go, cancel culture at work. Lets use words such as 'gross' and 'xenophobia' to get the conversation shut down. The truth hurts sometimes doesn't it oh and for your information, the US has the exact same culture clash. You never bothered to look at the wiki link I posted because if you had you would have noticed that in some states the age of consent is 11!!!, so please, do not come at me with this US does not have the same problem as the UK agrument.

People will be very naive if they think cultural differences does not play a part in exploitation of children but it is a topic that no one dares talk about because of the 'phobia' words that will be thrown about.

This debate is about the introduction of communication safety for kids being expanded to the UK and other countries. I raised a point as a reason why this safety feature could be expanding to the UK. I do not expect people to like it but it is something that needs to be pointed out as it is a legitimate reason. My posts and words have already been twisted out of context so this is where it ends for me because I have no doubt my words will be twisted and taken out of context even more which will cause the topic to go way off track so if your thinking of repsonding to my post please think about it because you will not get a response from me.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
aaahhh here we go, cancel culture at work. Lets use words such as 'gross' and 'xenophobia' to get the conversation shut down. The truth hurts sometimes doesn't it oh and for your information, the US has the exact same culture clash. You never bothered to look at the wiki link I posted because if you had you would have noticed that in some states the age of consent is 11!!!, so please, do not come at me with this US does not have the same problem as the UK agrument.

People will be very naive if they think cultural differences does not play a part in exploitation of children but it is a topic that no one dares talk about because of the 'phobia' words that will be thrown about.

This debate is about the introduction of communication safety for kids being expanded to the UK and other countries. I raised a point as a reason why this safety feature could be expanding to the UK. I do not expect people to like it but it is something that needs to be pointed out as it is a legitimate reason. My posts and words have already been twisted out of context so this is where it ends for me because I have no doubt my words will be twisted and taken out of context even more which will cause the topic to go way off track so if your thinking of repsonding to my post please think about it because you will not get a response from me.
Calm down, you aren't getting cancelled. I'm merely pointing out that just because someone comes from a country with a lower age of consent, that doesn't mean they will move to a country like the UK or the US and start sexually assaulting kids. It's xenophobic because you are painting people from another culture as more predisposed to pedophilia and child grooming. And that is gross.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
That's really missing the point. Even in the United States, folks from different states are generally grossed out by the idea of adults grooming and having sex with children/teens. Plus, I don't consider 16-18 to be "quite the range" and seems like efforts to lower or lessen the age of consent laws in various states get struck down anyways.

While I don't live in California, I don't think the standard Californian is going to start saying, "Well, that person is from Rhode Island and their age of consent is 16, we better keep an eye on them" it's just a bad and xenophobic idea to imply or even outright state that immigrants are going to move into the UK and start assaulting kids. It never ends well.

You missed the "By Age" column and rules. It does play into this and complicates the issue.
That is what I was pointing out (should have been clearer?) - it isn't cut and dried like many claim and can vary widely State to State just like Country to Country. And be just as complicated. Remember the "Age of Consent" can be very young. Don't let the "partner age" limitation gloss it over. In the US it ranges from 13 - 18 as far as I am aware of.

Reactions: Owejames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.