Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
He hired, promoted, and named a homosexual man as his successor.

Actions > words
Did he hire, promote and name his successor because of his sexual orientation? I don't think Steve could have cared less about anyone's sexual orientation, he was looking for whoever he thought was best qualified for the job (which is the way it should be). Being gay shouldn't qualify anyone for a job anymore than it should disqualify them for a job.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Did he hire, promote and name his successor because of his sexual orientation? I don't think Steve could have cared less about anyone's sexual orientation, he was looking for whoever he thought was best qualified for the job (which is the way it should be). Being gay shouldn't qualify anyone for a job anymore than it should disqualify them for a job.
Apple donated to anti-Prop 8 causes under Steve Jobs.

And honestly, it really is immaterial. Tim Cook's activism has been admirable.

And back to the main point of this article: Steve would have done the same exact thing in this situation. Apple has Dreamers working for them. Steve would protect them as his employees and as assets for the company.

AppleZilla

Suspended
Jul 23, 2010
For the few months Pence is president before the Democrats take the White House next Fall, the GOP might get more sensible to save their chances of holding the Senate.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Please stop conflating legal with illegal immigrants.

We have immigration laws, little different from those of most other countries, for good reason.

Agreed, as a legal immigrant to the US I am totally against porous borders and weak immigration enforcement. It is bad for legal immigrants, it is bad for the native populous and it is damaging to the society.

Why the hell should I jump through hoops, provide background documents, criminal history, proof I won't be a burden etc when someone who does not speak the language, has little to no skills, potentially a violent criminal past be allowed to stay just because?

As an immigrant I am fully behind Trump's immigration policies, I'd argue that they still are not strict enough.

Legal immigration is a huge asset to an advanced developed nation like the US. Illegal immigration brings in crime, lowers wages (especially at the very bottom of society), creates societal fractures, resentment, distrust and creates an underclass that does not pay tax.

The left love to conflate the two, but they are polar opposites. I'm here thanks to my own skills, family and by the generosity of the US. We only need to look at California to see where uncontrolled immigration leads.
Also why on Earth does the US still have birthright citizenship? I believe they are the only Western nation that still has this.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
"adding that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs's father immigrated from Syria himself."

Legally immigrated. Precision in terms is critical in both computer science/engineering and the law. When it is purposefully avoided, one knows that someone is trying to trick someone else.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Tim as a politician and a CEO means master of all trades, jack of none. Pick a career and stick with it. You aren't an MLK level humanitarian by forcing Chinese children to work 100 hour weeks for $2/hr to meet shareholders expectations of shipping new iPhones.

Steve is literally rolling in his apolitical grave

Ironic post when you consider Steve was the one who hired Tim as COO to "forc(e) Chinese children to work 100 hour weeks for $2/hr to meet shareholders expectations of shipping new iPhones"...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Ironic post when you consider Steve was the one who hired Tim as COO to "forc(e) Chinese children to work 100 hour weeks for $2/hr to meet shareholders expectations of shipping new iPhones"...

its really not though, Steve never claimed to be this politician humanitarian guy. Tim does. He was a ruthless businessman obsessed with Apple's dent in the world (and on the backend, profits to be certain) and very little else including his personal life as we've learned through the biography about him and such, it wasn't until later in life he came to appreciate the virtue of family and being a family man - in fact so many critics faulted him for not giving hardly anything to philanthropy in the high position Apple has been in over the years under his control. So it perfectly fit his vision. Revisionist history simply isn't going to work

He hired Tim to replace him for the simple reason the man could count his beans extremely well. Not to try to pretend to fix the world, without actually doing anything about it relative to the rhetoric. Especially when it comes to revising the processes that Apple has built its fort upon that come at great expense to some humans. I don't see how this can get a blind pass with the heavy stances and rhetoric he pretends to care so deeply about.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
President Trump offered amnesty and a path to citizenship for DACA kids in exchange for wall funding and the offer was flat out rejected by Congress.

If I remember correctly he also wanted to restrict legal immigration severely, plus the wall funding, which was a poison pill to the Dems. I'm not saying it's simple, just that I think these people should be able to stay here as long as it takes to sort it out. That was why Obama did DACA. They are, nearly to a person, good people who would be a bonus to the country.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Seemed to work rather well in Hungary and Israel.
Actually it doesn't

"Some U.S. proponents of Trump’s wall use the Hungary fence as an example of how well they can work. But Hungary’s wall gets too much of the credit given the number of asylum-seekers using the Balkan route was also sharply down — partly due to other countries on the route shutting down their own borders (see Macedonia below), and partly because the overall numbers to Europe were drastically down."

The "wall" in Hungary in particular fails to achieve the goal a US wall would seek to fix.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Yeah, but dreamers aren't really legal or illegal. They were brought here against their will and committed no crime.

Exactly. I know a DREAMER, he was brought here from Mexico by his single mother, being only 7 month old. He has no known relatives there... one officer once asked him to find out if his grandparents lived and where they live because he would eventually be sent back there.

I don't find it reasonable to deport a 24 years old person that grew up here, studied here, pays his taxes, have committed no crime and have no relation to the other country. He has even joked about it saying he could be deported to any Latin American country because it would make no difference to him, he is an American.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Exactly. I know a DREAMER, he was brought here from Mexico by his single mother being only 7 month old. He has no known relatives there... one officer once asked him to find out if his grandparents lived and where they live because he would eventually be sent back there.

I don't find it reasonable to deport a 24 years old person that grew up here, studied here, pays his taxes, have committed no crime and have no relation to the other country. He has even joked about it saying he could be deported to any Latin American country because it would make no difference to him, he is an American.

I dont agree that dreamers should be deported (unless they committed a violent crime like rape, murder, ect...) but I also dont agree with making ancesters of slaves pay for their parrents crimes.

The problem with Democrats is that their inconstant and lie so much they forget that they contradict everything. If dreamers cant be deported because they are not at fault for their parrents crimes (coming here illegally) then neither are slave ancesters who never owned a slave or met one in real life.

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
Actually it doesn't

"Some U.S. proponents of Trump’s wall use the Hungary fence as an example of how well they can work. But Hungary’s wall gets too much of the credit given the number of asylum-seekers using the Balkan route was also sharply down — partly due to other countries on the route shutting down their own borders (see Macedonia below), and partly because the overall numbers to Europe were drastically down."

The "wall" in Hungary in particular fails to achieve the goal a US wall would seek to fix.

The wall in Israel most definitely worked and saved lives.
[automerge]1570049872[/automerge]
Most of them don’t need fences

A border is defined by a line that separates one country from another. Unless you live in a utopia world.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Apple donated to anti-Prop 8 causes under Steve.

Politician and innovator. Go stew.

Apple is more successful now than it has ever been, political or not.

Get over it and move along.

I have "moved along", I'm also not resisting Apple's success or blind or even adverse to it, and I have no problem with how Tim rolls in his personal life. I'm just correcting your wildly inaccurate take on why he was promoted by Steve. It had nothing to do with his sexual preference.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Actually it doesn't

It did not state Hungary’s wall does not work and are you going to tell me Israel’s wall doesn’t work because the number of suicide bombings dropped drastically because of it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The wall in Israel most definitely worked and saved lives.
[automerge]1570049872[/automerge]

A border is defined by a line that separates one country from another. Unless you live in a utopia world.

No it didn’t. For one thing, you can’t measure “saved lives”. For another, the immigrants didn’t go back home, they just went to neighboring countries (which, by the way is not an option here).

And back to the point, this isn’t about that group of people. It’s about the kids that were brought over against their own will

Reactions: Chaos215bar2

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010

Apple today filed an amicus brief with the U.S. Supreme Court in support of DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals immigration policy. Apple has filed many briefs before the Court, but this is the first time that Apple's CEO Tim Cook and Vice President of Retail and People Deirdre O'Brien are named too.

ap_keynote_2017_wrap_up_tim_cook.jpg

DACA provides around 800,000 individuals who entered the U.S. at age 16 or younger with a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation, and eligibility for a work permit in the country. Many of these individuals, known as Dreamers, have lived in the U.S. for the majority of their lives.

In its brief, Apple notes that it employs 443 Dreamers who come from more than 25 different countries spanning four continents. Dreamers at Apple run the gamut of roles within the company, including hardware engineering, software engineering, retail, customer support, and operations across 36 states.

Apple says it would "quite literally not exist without a brilliant and driven population of immigrants," including Dreamers, adding that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs's father immigrated from Syria himself. Apple also mentions several studies that link a diverse workforce to a company's growth and success.

The introduction of Apple's brief:And the conclusion:The U.S. Supreme Court will consider the legality of DACA during its 2019 term, which begins Monday, October 7.

Apple's full amicus brief is embedded below.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple's Tim Cook and Deirdre O'Brien Urge Supreme Court to Protect Dreamers by Upholding DACA
When I went to school, I was taught that there are three branches of government: executive, legislative and judicial. The legislative branch passes laws - not the executive. What Obama did was wrong so it should be easy to undo. You want DACA? Pass a bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.