Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah, but dreamers aren't really legal or illegal. They were brought here against their will and committed no crime.
Legally, they’re here illegally. Objective fact of law.

If there’s an edge condition problem in the law, fix the law.

Strange how those allegedly interested in helping those affected won’t take objective steps to solve it; instead, they just use it as little more than a marketing campaign.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
If I remember correctly he also wanted to restrict legal immigration severely, plus the wall funding, which was a poison pill to the Dems. I'm not saying it's simple, just that I think these people should be able to stay here as long as it takes to sort it out. That was why Obama did DACA. They are, nearly to a person, good people who would be a bonus to the country.

Understand what you are saying, but it seems Congress will not get anything done unless their feet are held to the fire.

Obama tried giving Congress time, and President Trump offered a deal for negotiation, Congress got nothing done.

I hope if the Supreme Court shoots down DACA it will force Congress’ hand and make them workout a compromise.

Reactions: MacNeb

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007
Cook should stick to making phones and computers and to be honest those have not been that great in recent years.

wait....you DON'T think a CFO should have been put in charge of a visionary tech company??

come on, look at all the new services!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Tim as a politician and a CEO means jack of all trades, master of none. Pick a career and stick with it. You aren't an MLK level humanitarian by forcing Chinese children to work 100 hour weeks for $2/hr to meet shareholders expectations of shipping new iPhones.

Steve is literally rolling in his apolitical grave
Tim is a citizen just like you are.
I think it is ridiculous when people say CEO, athletes, celebrities, or whoever else should mind their own business and stay out of politics. "Stay in your lane" mentality.
Tim has the right to share his opinion just like you and I. If he wants to use his platform and position to express it, more power to him.
The more opinions/positions we have, the merrier. Asking people to do otherwise is not something that should happen in a free society. This is a free country, after all.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
DACA is a terrible piece of legislation.
The problem is DACA isn’t legislation, it‘s executive order.
We need legislation for it, but those claiming concern about the issue won’t pressure the proper legislative solution. Trump offered to sign DACA legislation, if accompanied by legislation physically blocking illegal border crossing; bizarrely, Congress refused to cooperate.

Last edited:

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
DACA kids can stay, but parents should not get a pass. So where does that leave us? DACA is a terrible piece of legislation.
You are wrong. it is a terrible piece of presidential policy :)

It is not even a piece of legislation which makes it doubly worse. Obama Could not get his way so he signed executive orders. He just never expected a Republican to ever be in the White House again who could unsigned them immediately.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Tim is a citizen just like you are.
I think it is ridiculous when people say CEO, athletes, celebrities, or whoever else should mind their own business and stay out of politics. "Stay in your lane" mentality.
Tim has the right to share his opinion just like you and I. If he wants to use his platform and position to express it, more power to him.
The more opinions/positions we have, the merrier. Asking people to do otherwise is not something that should happen in a free society. This is a free country, after all.

They are totally entitled to their opinion. Where have I forbidden that?

The difference is he stands on his soap box but doesn’t seem to resolve the most obvious human rights issues that props up the very company that he runs. It’s not excusable, the hypocrisy, especially because he is in a position to fix it

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
The difference is he stands on his soap box but doesn’t seem to resolve the most obvious human rights issues that props up the very company that he runs. It’s not excusable, the hypocrisy, especially because he is in a position to fix it
Those allegations are on the whole false. Employees are paid about 3x more than equivalent local workers. There is high demand for those positions. Working conditions are much better than local norms. Suicide rates are much lower. Apple imposes very strict human rights rules.
[automerge]1570054468[/automerge]
Congratulations on conflating the concept of a border with a wasteful wall :rolleyes:
Do you have a door at home? Do you lock it? Shouldn’t you be letting in anyone in need of a bed & meal?

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
(not mine)

- Poor neighbor kicks in your front door

- Throws his 4-year old inside your living room

- Police arrest neighbor

- Leave kid for you raise, feed, clothe and educate

- Cant kick kid out because its mean or something

DACA
FTFY:
  • Educate kid in US taxpayer-funded public education system, while parent works hard to raise, feed, and clothe kid at their own expense.
  • Threaten to kick out now-productive, educated, taxpaying member of society, because they didn't immigrate legally (when they were 4).
But yeah, obviously we need to punish these kids for having the audacity to follow their parents into a country that was clearly unprepared to deal with either their entry or presence.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Agreed, as a legal immigrant to the US I am totally against porous borders and weak immigration enforcement. It is bad for legal immigrants, it is bad for the native populous and it is damaging to the society.

Agreed. We need both reasonable border enforcement and a clear and viable path to citizenship, where appropriate.

Why the hell should I jump through hoops, provide background documents, criminal history, proof I won't be a burden etc when someone who does not speak the language, has little to no skills, potentially a violent criminal past be allowed to stay just because?

Violent criminals are most certainly not allowed to enter and remain in the US "just because". Is there a specific case you're referring to?

I agree, one should not have to jump through hoops in order to enter the US.

As an immigrant I am fully behind Trump's immigration policies, I'd argue that they still are not strict enough.

All of them? You might want to be more specific, considering these policies include family separation and holding both kids and adults for weeks or more at a time in truly horrendous conditions.

Legal immigration is a huge asset to an advanced developed nation like the US. Illegal immigration brings in crime, lowers wages (especially at the very bottom of society), creates societal fractures, resentment, distrust and creates an underclass that does not pay tax.

US government reports suggests that between 50 and 75% of undocumented immigrants do in fact pay taxes (admittedly old 2007 report), and, whether we're willing to admit it or not, play an essential role in the US economy (AFB reference). The issue is not as simple as you make it out to be.

The left love to conflate the two, but they are polar opposites. I'm here thanks to my own skills, family and by the generosity of the US. We only need to look at California to see where uncontrolled immigration leads.
Also why on Earth does the US still have birthright citizenship? I believe they are the only Western nation that still has this.

Please, tell us, where has "uncontrolled" immigration lead California? (And how would you know? Current policy is certainly dysfunctional, but hardly uncontrolled.)

I see a lot of "Got mine; f--- off.". What we need is more "What can immigration do for us, both in terms of bringing talent, diversity, and economic prosperity to the US, and in terms of re-cementing the US's role in the world stage?".

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
Why is this so hard?
Setup a clear path for legal immigration for these people in this program. Then after a set time if they do not want to follow that path they should be deported.

Someone exampled to me(possibly incorrectly) that it is actually hard for these people to get citizenship without first leaving the country?

Not "hard" - impossible. For the Dreamers (i.e., those brought here AS CHILDREN), many who ONLY recall living in the United States, there is currently NO means of securing residency, green cards, or ANY legal status short of leaving the country, residing in (what to them) is a FOREIGN country for 15 years, then APPLYING for immigration back into the United States.

As others have pointed out, DACA is meant to provide a "save haven" for these folks until something can be done legislatively to provide them a path to citizenship.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Yeah, but dreamers aren't really legal or illegal. They were brought here against their will and committed no crime.

I'll stop calling them "illegals" when everyone else stops calling them "dreamers." Way to romanticize what is essentially an unwitting child of a law breaker. Like all the kids born here by parents that didn't break the law to be here don't have dreams?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
When I went to school, I was taught that there are three branches of government: executive, legislative and judicial. The legislative branch passes laws - not the executive. What Obama did was wrong so it should be easy to undo. You want DACA? Pass a bill.
Simple and naive. If checks and balances were truly valid, the Attorney General would be in the justice department and a non-partisan entity.
[automerge]1570057799[/automerge]
I'll stop calling them "illegals" when everyone else stops calling them "dreamers." Way to romanticize what is essentially an unwitting child of a law breaker. Like all the kids born here by parents that didn't break the law to be here don't have dreams?
You need to get over that. They're not illegal and are not here illegally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.