Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
President Trump offered amnesty and a path to citizenship for DACA kids in exchange for wall funding and the offer was flat out rejected by Congress.

Was this after they offered him money and then he changed his mind? Selective memory?

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
Simple and naive. If checks and balances were truly valid, the Attorney General would be in the justice department and a non-partisan entity.
[automerge]1570057799[/automerge]

You need to get over that. They're not illegal and are not here illegally.

Let's talk about Obama's "Wingman" Eric Holder. Lol....? talking about Naive and simply...Lol

DACA was illegally pushed by the big "O" and the USA is stuck with innocent "once upon a time" children brought to the Country illegally. There's a certain part of the USA society that wants open borders and the Country to be more like the UK... which is not going to happen for the throw back Progressives.?

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
So, what you're saying is, it turns out it isn't quite so easy to spend other people's money on pointless projects? Somewhat ironic considering your signature.

I don't call it pointless....The wall is the cheapest and most efficient way to control illegal aliens and there's No wiggle room for politicians. No one is trying punish these now adults but certain percentage of the society doesn't want it to keep repeating over and over again...there's also percentage who are against the USA and will be against the USA. ?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Trump should learn to take yes for an answer:

Here are some of the proposals from Democrats and bipartisan groups that the president has rejected:

Trump-Schumer negotiations: In January 2018, Mr. Trump met with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) for 90 minutes, with then-chief of staff John Kelly the only White House aide present. Mr. Schumer offered the president $25 billion over an unspecified period to be used for a border wall, paired with a path to citizenship for the young immigrants.
Mr. Trump in September 2017 had ended an Obama-era program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, that allowed those immigrants to work and shielded them from deportation. An appeals court in November rejected Mr. Trump’s move to end the program, which is expected to be reviewed by the Supreme Court.
Mr. Kelly later called Mr. Schumer, saying that the White House considered the deal too liberal and that it didn’t do enough to end the system that prioritizes immigrants who already have family ties in the U.S.

Bipartisan Senate proposal: In February 2018, a bipartisan group of senators hashed out a compromise proposal that would have provided $25 billion for border security over 10 years, starting with a $2.5 billion installment last year.

It would also have enabled about 1.8 million young immigrants to become citizens over a 10-to-12-year timeline, but it sought to bar them from sponsoring their parents from citizenship. Lawmakers believed it could have passed the GOP-held Senate had Mr. Trump endorsed it, but he opposed it, saying it didn’t do enough to curb legal immigration. The measure then failed in the Senate in a 54-45 vote.

It was never taken up by the House, which was then controlled by Republicans who worked on their own set of immigration bills.

Too late now, and in all likelihood the SCOTUS will strike down DACA as immigration is the purview of Congress, not the Executive.

Leaving us with a situation no one really wanted, having to deport valued members of our society.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
DACA was illegally pushed by the big "O" and the USA is stuck with innocent "once upon a time" children brought to the Country illegally. There's a certain part of the USA society that wants open borders and the Country to be more like the UK... which is not going to happen for the throw back Progressives.?
You do understand, I assume, that DACA was implemented to protect immigrants who were already here and had no home to return to but the US?

It also helps if you actually take the time to understand a group you don't see eye to eye with rather than dismissing them with straw men (straw people?) that will only appeal to your own political tribe. Certainly there are people who want open borders, but what poll or other evidence do you have showing they're not in the extreme minority?

What does it even mean, to you, to "be more like the UK" in terms of US borders? The US has certainly never been a part of anything resembling Europe's Shenzhen Economic Zone.

I don't call it pointless....The wall is the cheapest and most efficient way to control illegal aliens and there's No wiggle room for politicians. No one is trying punish these now adults but certain percentage of the society doesn't want it to keep repeating over and over again...there's also percentage who are against the USA and will be against the USA. ?

Cheaper than implementing reasonable immigration policy?

Do we even have a concrete price tag on the cost of a wall spanning the entire US / Mexico border? What about the portions that are bordered by private property? Environmental impact? (Remember, humans aren't the only species that needs to cross the border.)

At this stage, "The Wall" is little more than fairy tale we supposedly weren't going to pay for. (But actually maybe we're going to pay for using funds intended to counteract Russian aggression in Europe? Who knows?!)

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Cheaper than implementing reasonable immigration policy?

I don't know of any "reasonable immigration policy" if we can't at least get rid of most illegal crossings, but this would also include the need to rework the visa processes, as most illegal aliens just overstay visas.

We can't just keep offering amnesty every 30 or 40 years, because that just undercuts legal immigration.

Reactions: Huck and PC_tech

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
I don't know of any "reasonable immigration policy" if we can't at least get rid of most illegal crossings, but this would also include the need to rework the visa processes, as most illegal aliens just overstay visas.

We can't just keep offering amnesty every 30 or 40 years, because that just undercuts legal immigration.
I'll note the vast majority of the focus is on one particular border. Maybe there's a reason no one seems to be proposing we build a border wall with Canada, and maybe that points to a path forward for the Mexican border?

The solution isn't to first stop illegal immigration and only then rework the legal immigration process. The two problems are closely related and need to be solved together. You can even find a few bipartisan proposals that might have served as a starting point just a few posts above.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Apple donated to anti-Prop 8 causes under Steve.

Politician and innovator. Go stew.

Apple is more successful now than it has ever been, political or not.

Get over it and move along.

This is the awkward part, where you’re totally wrong.

Steve Jobs caused a scene at a high profile dinner with several sycophantic tech leaders from Google, FB, etc. by telling Obama that his immigration policy geared toward unskilled immigrants was idiotic and he needed to focus on getting more skilled and educated immigrants into the US.

Jobs wasn’t a DNC partisan drone, and had no problem correcting the party faithful over bad immigration policy.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I'll note the vast majority of the focus is on one particular border. Maybe there's a reason no one seems to be proposing we build a border wall with Canada, and maybe that points to a path forward for the Mexican border?

The solution isn't to first stop illegal immigration and only then rework the legal immigration process. The two problems are closely related and need to be solved together. You can even find a few bipartisan proposals that might have served as a starting point just a few posts above.
I agree, somewhat, but I don't think we are going to see a workable plan that doesn't include both border security and pathways to citizenship of people that have stayed here illegally.

You have to admit that this type of amnesty makes us a target for illegal immigration, because people get it in their mind that if they can just get here somehow, and not commit dangerous or violent crimes, that we won't deport them, and sooner or latter we will make them, and their children citizens.

Reactions: mgguy

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Overspending is not justification for increasing spending for something we factually know will not work
We don't factually know it won't work, we can only assume it won't work on it's own.

Likely, the better solution is to go after people that employ illegal aliens, as it's the hope for wages that is the biggest magnet, but neither party is willing to do that.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Overspending is not justification for increasing spending for something we factually know will not work

If you mean by factually known that it will not stop illegal entry, I would agree.

If you mean by factually known that it will not reduce illegal entry, I would disagree.
[automerge]1570065602[/automerge]
We don't factually know it won't work, we can only assume it won't work on it's own.

and I agree that it's a good assumption that it will not work on it's own.

What I don't agree with is the premise that it will not help to reduce illegal border crossings when combined with our existing border security.

I don't think that there is any way to stop people illegally crossing the border but the wall is a necessary part of reducing illegal crossings.

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
What drives me crazy about the immigration debate is that there’s no concrete solutions to preventing “another round of amnesty”. By approving the DACA kids, you basically give a massive incentive for another round of mass illegal (not undocumented - another stupid PC term) immigration. I tell you what: do the DACA thing, legalize current productive illegals, in return beef up border security, dump stupid amnesty laws that are being taken advantage of, automatically deport unaccompanied minors and for God’s sake get rid of birthright citizenship. You will significantly curtail future illegal immigration.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Stay out of politics, Timmy. You are a loudmouthed moron, no one cares what you think. Just run your damn company and hire more Americans

Reactions: haunebu and Huck

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Agents have told anyone who will listen that the wall is needed and part of an overall strategy to patrol the border. It makes their job easier and helps.
What is really needed is to stop the ridiculous policy of allowing illegals into the country in the first place. They show up they should be deported immediately. Street crime and poverty does not entitle them to amnesty.
Get in line and wait like everyone else in the world. We need to stop being such saps

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Understand what you are saying, but it seems Congress will not get anything done unless their feet are held to the fire.

Obama tried giving Congress time, and President Trump offered a deal for negotiation, Congress got nothing done.

I hope if the Supreme Court shoots down DACA it will force Congress’ hand and make them workout a compromise.

I just hate to see those folks caught in the middle. They're just trying to live their lives.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Dreamers should have something done for them... BY CONGRESS. Not via executive order. That being said... Both sides should come together for a solution to immigration and border security. But they won't... because if you solve problems... then you have nothing to campaign on for the next election...
And this is why modern politics is stupid and pointless. These people we elect are trying to stay in power, because it pays well. It used to be that members of Congress made almost nothing, and it was assumed that not a single person would be able to serve more than a term or two, because serving more would cause tremendous turmoil in their families due to the lack of a breadwinner. Now we have this evil thing called a career politician. These gremlins have a single purpose: to stay in power. I don’t care if the gremlin is a leftist gremlin or a member of the right, there’s hardly any difference.

The traditional democracy fan may say that it’s a great thing, because that means they’re extra dedicated to making sure we vote for them! Except, that’s also part of the problem. Democracy with *smart* career politicians leads to an entire class of public officials who play games and scheme, for the purposes of convincing and in many cases tricking people to vote for them. Indeed, modern politics is filled with such examples.

This is of course why so much important legislation gets put on the back burner, as you so correctly stated. Why should they solve your problems? You’re a sheep whose purpose is merely to get them re-elected. If you can be swayed, you are useful. If not, you are a threat and must be silenced.

This Congress, this government, will not care a thing about what you want. Right now, their agenda is solely about dethroning a particular guy whom I’m sure we are all aware of. To the career politician, dreamers are not relevant. To the career politician, the environment is not relevant. To the career politician, states rights are not relevant. To the career politician, neither the right to life, nor the right to choose are relevant.

To the career politician, you are not relevant. To the career politician, only they are relevant.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
This should be “overturned” because it’s not a law. It was the previous president going against the wishes of Congress. Congress can make this a law anytime. Anytime they want. If Obama had persuaded people instead of trying to just make laws this would not be an issue. Cook you should lobby Congress not the surpreme court.

Reactions: haunebu and Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.