Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
if youre here illegally you are a criminal. period
That's actually not true. Coming here illegally is a crime. Being here in and of itself isn't a crime. These people don't have any legal standing at all.
[automerge]1570111188[/automerge]
This entire "the USA is a racist anti-immigrant" nation is absolutely absurd. One in five people living in the USA currently was not born here. That is an enormous social-economic impact to the US and voters have demonstrated repeatedly at the ballot box that they want to slow the pace of LEGAL immigration into the US let alone scoff-laws who enter the country illegally.
The US is only anti-immigrant when the immigrant doesn't look like the majority.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
The objections to DACA have nothing to do with removing people who came here as children. It's strictly about shutting down this scam in the future which typically plays out as children being used as a safe haven route for adults to join them.

Reactions: PC_tech and Huck

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well, I mean Steve was a Syrian, so you know...he probably would have been fine with this.

You mean the legal immigrant Syrian father who abandoned Steve Jobs and left him to be raised by a boring middle class white couple in California? That Steve Jobs? If Steve Jobs was Syrian then I'm a goddamn turnip.

Reactions: PC_tech and Huck

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You mean the legal immigrant Syrian father who abandoned Steve Jobs and left him to be raised by a boring middle class white couple in California? That Steve Jobs? If Steve Jobs was Syrian then I'm a goddamn turnip.
Stop ruining our country, Mr. Trump.

He's actually a bit more coherent than you are, honestly.
[automerge]1570111333[/automerge]
The objections to DACA have nothing to do with removing people who came here as children. It's strictly about shutting down this scam in the future which typically plays out as children being used as a safe haven route for adults to join them.
That's a different issue entirely. There aren't any new dreamers. They're all young adults now.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Dreamers should have something done for them... BY CONGRESS. Not via executive order. That being said... Both sides should come together for a solution to immigration and border security. But they won't... because if you solve problems... then you have nothing to campaign on for the next election...

Maybe they should stop worring about Trump and do pass something for Dreamers.

Reactions: gr8hii and jmpage2

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My family came from Italy in the 1930s to escape fascism. Are you suggesting I'm less American than someone "who's family has been here since the colonial era"?

America is all I have ever known. It's my life and my culture. See how silly you sound?
Did your family come in via legal process? These families have not. The colonial example is an extreme, but the same could apply to an Irish farmer that came due to the famine. They went through the process, and settled down as Americans. Anyone who would violate the immigration laws of the country are not American citizens. The kids did not willingly violates those laws though,so they should be given a chance to prove themselves and become a part of society.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Maybe they should stop worring about Trump and do pass something for Dreamers.

Trump already offered them a citizenship path for Dreamers in exchange for more border security funding including physical barriers and they refused.

The Democratic party has been taken over by the far left elements that believe anybody that wants to come into the US should be able to do so, then get welfare benefits, then get the right to vote. Because that will secure them an unbreakable voting bloc for a generation.
[automerge]1570113186[/automerge]
Did your family come in via legal process? These families have not. The colonial example is an extreme, but the same could apply to an Irish farmer that came due to the famine. They went through the process, and settled down as Americans. Anyone who would violate the immigration laws of the country are not American citizens. The kids did not willingly violates those laws though,so they should be given a chance to prove themselves and become a part of society.

Correct and it's also worth pointing out that immigrants were turned away at port of entry for a variety of reasons.

Additionally they had to have money in their pocket to get a start. There was no government welfare state to furnish them with food, housing, internet, utilities while they figured out what they were going to do as they started their journey in this country on the bottom rung of the ladder.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Tim as a politician and a CEO means jack of all trades, master of none. Pick a career and stick with it. You aren't an MLK level humanitarian by forcing Chinese children to work 100 hour weeks for $2/hr to meet shareholders expectations of shipping new iPhones.

Steve is literally rolling in his apolitical grave
He doesn't force anyone to do anything. They pay a company to build phones for them. That company chooses how they operate.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I see you have a problem with facts.
I have a problem with the farce you interpret as fact.

You're not Trump, you're just one of the sad people he manipulates. You have our pity.
[automerge]1570113426[/automerge]
Trump already offered them a citizenship path for Dreamers in exchange for more border security funding including physical barriers and they refused.
A border wall shouldn't be necessary to do justice to people who need justice.

The President is playing you like a fiddle.
[automerge]1570113450[/automerge]
Isn't that statement a bit racist?
No. It's an admission of the obvious.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Those allegations are on the whole false. Employees are paid about 3x more than equivalent local workers. There is high demand for those positions. Working conditions are much better than local norms. Suicide rates are much lower. Apple imposes very strict human rights rules.
[automerge]1570054468[/automerge]

Do you have a door at home? Do you lock it? Shouldn’t you be letting in anyone in need of a bed & meal?

I love how “conservatives” are now in favor of one of the biggest wastes of money we’ve ever seen just because they’re scared.

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I love how “conservatives” are now in favor of one of the biggest wastes of money we’ve ever seen just because they’re scared.
Remember when a GOP President started two frivolous wars and wasted millions and send thousands of Americans off to die?

The term "conservative" is a joke in today's context.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006

The Democratic party has been taken over by the far left elements that believe anybody that wants to come into the US should be able to do so, then get welfare benefits, then get the right to vote. Because that will secure them an unbreakable voting bloc for a generation.
[automerge]1570113186[/automerge]

Correct and it's also worth pointing out that immigrants were turned away at port of entry for a variety of reasons.

Additionally they had to have money in their pocket to get a start. There was no government welfare state to furnish them with food, housing, internet, utilities while they figured out what they were going to do as they started their journey in this country on the bottom rung of the ladder.

you’ve got yourself twisted in a knot. The Democrats offered Trump billions for a wall in exchange for Dreamer protection. TRUMP turned it down.

Trump doesn’t want a wall, he wants a talking point he can play his base with like a fiddle.

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I mean, if they didn't, would it really matter for me, as their grandchild?

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
The people that have misguided you live in gated communities behind walls.

The wall will always be an ineffective financial boondoggle. Time to stop denying it.
[automerge]1570114540[/automerge]
We wouldn't have this issue if Congress would do its duty.

The wall is only .11% of the budget.

By itself, it can't do much but it is a force multiplier when combined with our existing border security.

You think the wall is a one-time $5 billion expense? Trump has got you guys so fooled...

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Tell that to your gated community overlords. They might be shocked to hear they wasted their money buying a wall to live behind.

Ridiculous deflection. Time to start thinking for yourself instead of believing whatever Trump and his sycophants tell you.

The wall will always be an ineffective financial boondoggle. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
you’ve got yourself twisted in a knot. The Democrats offered Trump billions for a wall in exchange for Dreamer protection. TRUMP turned it down.

Trump doesn’t want a wall, he wants a talking point he can play his base with like a fiddle.

You are either ignorant or you are lying.

Trump offered them a DACA extension and they refused it... not the other way around. Specifically Democrats balked at any border security funding being used for a "wall" or any other physical barrier.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I’m not a immigrant but you wrote my sentiments spot on.

It made me so mad the other day at work when I had two people who couldn’t speak English trying to open up a bank account. They didn’t have proper IDs to do it. Now I’m not saying they’re here illegally because I don’t know how that all works or not. (They didn’t have Visas though) What made me the most upset was their 2 year old daughter was on Medicaid because she is a citizen and qualifies for it because her parents are most likely here illegally. It’s just frustrating when my healthcare costs keep going up every year and we basically get robbed by the government to fund programs that can be a good thing but then get abused.

I think English should be made the language of the US, it should be the only language anything government related is printed in and the only language used for any government related tasks. Just like when I lived in Germany, I pretty quickly learnt German and made an effort to speak it. I do not like the amount of Spanish speaking in parts of the US - simply because this is a very quick way to balkanize the US.

The whole point of emigrating to the US is you become an American. You adopt American 'culture'. You speak English. Otherwise do not go. English is the worlds dominate language for business, whenever I go on business trips abroad we all speak English.

No US citizen should be expected to pay for the healthcare of immigrants. You should not be required to cover any of my healthcare costs - which is why I am rightfully required to pay for my own health insurance. It angers me that legal immigrants like myself cover the costs of illegal immigrant children. They have no right to be here and should be repatriated to their home nation.

US government spending and bureaucracy has to be the most bloated in the world. I was staggered by the level of inefficiency in the way everything works. Your DMV is pretty much a jobs program, why on Earth do you have social security offices? In my country virtually all of this is done online, it's easy and it works surprisingly well.

I always wish Trump would just end entire government projects over night. The US is an extremely wealthy country but it is being crushed under an ever expanding welfare & bureaucratic system.
Outside of defense, infrastructure, education, law & order and perhaps some R&D why does it serve any purpose? Taxes should be lower than ever thanks to computerization of everything. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I do love the US and I hope it fixes its issues, especially as one day I hope to be a citizen here.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The wall will always be an ineffective financial boondoggle. Time to stop denying it.
[automerge]1570114540[/automerge]

You think the wall is a one-time $5 billion expense? Trump has got you guys so fooled...

You are putting words in peoples mouths, nobody who has spent 10 minutes looking at the border security issue believes it's a "one and done" expense.

Let's talk though about the massive expense to the taxpayers that illegal immigrants already cost. Lowest income households (<$35,000 annual income which is the overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants from southern border) are by far the largest drain on public resources and taxpayer dollars.

So sure, let's balk at spending a few billion a year on border security and instead spend 10X that much on entitlements, incarceration (majority of federal detainees are illegal aliens many behind bars for violent offenses), etc.

You sure are good at poking holes in solutions that have been demonstrated to work without offering any meaningful solution. Letting illegal immigrants with tenuous (90% ultimate rejection rate) claims of asylum live in the US for years draining resources is not a solution.
[automerge]1570117619[/automerge]
Or you're both. Educate yourself instead of believing whatever Trump and Fox tell you. https://www.wsj.com/articles/shutdown-has-been-a-year-in-the-making-11547498818

Says guy who can't read article he cites which says exactly what I already posted.

But after it passed the Senate, Mr. Trump appeared to change his mind and, encouraged by House Republicans, said the next day that he would veto it because it didn’t meet his demand for border-wall funding. The Senate bill would have extended current funding for the Homeland Security Department, including money for fencing, bollard barriers, levees and technology—but not a concrete barrier. Democrats say a sweeping spending bill that passed earlier last year included $1.3 billion for border security, while Republicans, counting slightly differently, say it included $1.57 billion.
In late December, at Mr. Trump’s urging, the GOP-controlled House passed a bill providing $5.7 billion for a border barrier. That bill didn’t have enough support to pass the Senate, then or now. When House Democrats took control in early January, the Congress and White House were left at an impasse when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) said her chamber wouldn’t approve any funding for a border wall.

Dems want no physical security AND they refuse to end chain immigration where illegal immigrants get legal status and then pull in their entire extended family.

Trump was right to say no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.