Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
What about China, Tim? How come you are silent about the treatment of immigrants...homosexuals, women, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, political dissenters...in China?

China just rounded up and imprisoned 1 to 2 million Uighur Muslims in the region of Xinjiang. Wear a ribbon for them?

Nah, slave-waged labor in China builds Apple’s products. Can’t criticize them. It might make Apple less profitable.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
For the few months Pence is president before the Democrats take the White House next Fall, the GOP might get more sensible to save their chances of holding the Senate.
The fact that you actually think impeachment is a possibility goes to show how much lip service the Democrat party and media are doing. There are no impeachment proceedings first of all, it’s just an inquiry to see if they should enter impeachment proceedings.
There’s no way the senate would convict trump, as it’s GOP led right now, and he has literally done nothing wrong. I know it’s very hard to believe because you most likely hear every day all the awful things trump has done. You never hear the other side - the truth.

the truth is somewhere in the middle of what you hear on Fox News and mai stream media. sad but you need to filter through the news to find what’s even true.

im on a rant here, but I’ll end it with saying I’d bet 10 million dollars trump does not get impeached before the election.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Trump is so rattled and shaken up he is going to make even more mistakes - just like Nixon the crime is the "COVER UP" that will bring him down. Trump is spoiled rich kid who always gets his way and nobody for his entire life EVER said NO to him - no today lots of people say no to him and he simply does not know how to handle it. The "real juice" on him is being held back and as soon as that comes out the the stuff he done so far like diverting government spending so his companies and other stuff is going come out to light and day.
I worked for a some people like him and his family they never took "no that can't be done" as an answer.
Rich people feel the law or any law does not apply to them.
Right now American universities cannot supply enough software engineers to supply the demand of US companies. So migration is the only answer I live in the heart of Silicon Valley and you can quit you job in the morning and have another job in the afternoon.
People who migrate to this country are hard working people - the lazy ones stay and home.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Why in the world is Tim Cook involved in this stuff? It's like celebrities becoming experts on gun control. Stick to technology and product development. This probably has something to do with why Apple seems to be trailing Samsung et al in innovation.

Reactions: Huck and haunebu

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Apple says it would "quite literally not exist without a brilliant and driven population of immigrants," including Dreamers, adding that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs's father immigrated from Syria himself.
Not sure what the big deal of his dad immigrating from Syria is. All north Americans' ancestors came from outside of North America. Probably no one except for native Indians actually originated from north America.

Reactions: Huck

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
What about China, Tim? How come you are silent about the treatment of immigrants...homosexuals, women, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, political dissenters...in China?

China just rounded up and imprisoned 1 to 2 million Uighur Muslims in the region of Xinjiang. Wear a ribbon for them?

Nah, slave-waged labor in China builds Apple’s products. Can’t criticize them. It might make Apple less profitable.

Why would Cook meddle in the internal affairs of another country? That would be stupid. Do other tech CEOs engage in that?

DACA is about a United States policy that directly affects 400+ Apple employees living in... the United States.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why in the world is Tim Cook involved in this stuff? It's like celebrities becoming experts on gun control. Stick to technology and product development. This probably has something to do with why Apple seems to be trailing Samsung et al in innovation.

Because Apple has 400+ DACA employees. And Tim Cook as CEO of Apple is looking after them.

Reactions: ronntaylor

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
DACA immigrant are immigrants. The correct terminology is documented and undocumented. And, no don't believe there was conflation.
Because the law requires anyone entering the United States to be "documented" (i.e. pass through a port of entry with a passport) then by definition, immigrants who are undocumented are here illegally. If I moved to California and refused to register certain firearms I legally own in Indiana, would California consider my firearms to be "illegal" or just "undocumented"?

I am not blaming the kids who were brought here by their parents but as a matter of law, they are still here illegally. If I stole my neighbor's car and gave it to my daughter for her birthday, she is still in possession of stolen property even if she didn't know the vehicle was stolen and the police would still have the DUTY to take the car away from her even though she had received it as a "gift".

I agree with the majority that it doesn't make sense to attempt to round up and deport otherwise law abiding people who were brought here as children decades ago. But DACA needs to be addressed legislatively as the President does not have the authority to rewrite (or simply ignore) existing law.

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Agreed, as a legal immigrant to the US I am totally against porous borders and weak immigration enforcement. It is bad for legal immigrants, it is bad for the native populous and it is damaging to the society.

Why the hell should I jump through hoops, provide background documents, criminal history, proof I won't be a burden etc when someone who does not speak the language, has little to no skills, potentially a violent criminal past be allowed to stay just because?

As an immigrant I am fully behind Trump's immigration policies, I'd argue that they still are not strict enough.

Legal immigration is a huge asset to an advanced developed nation like the US. Illegal immigration brings in crime, lowers wages (especially at the very bottom of society), creates societal fractures, resentment, distrust and creates an underclass that does not pay tax.

The left love to conflate the two, but they are polar opposites. I'm here thanks to my own skills, family and by the generosity of the US. We only need to look at California to see where uncontrolled immigration leads.
Also why on Earth does the US still have birthright citizenship? I believe they are the only Western nation that still has this.

I’m not a immigrant but you wrote my sentiments spot on.

It made me so mad the other day at work when I had two people who couldn’t speak English trying to open up a bank account. They didn’t have proper IDs to do it. Now I’m not saying they’re here illegally because I don’t know how that all works or not. (They didn’t have Visas though) What made me the most upset was their 2 year old daughter was on Medicaid because she is a citizen and qualifies for it because her parents are most likely here illegally. It’s just frustrating when my healthcare costs keep going up every year and we basically get robbed by the government to fund programs that can be a good thing but then get abused.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
Trump is so rattled and shaken up he is going to make even more mistakes - just like Nixon the crime is the "COVER UP" that will bring him down. Trump is spoiled rich kid who always gets his way and nobody for his entire life EVER said NO to him - no today lots of people say no to him and he simply does not know how to handle it. The "real juice" on him is being held back and as soon as that comes out the the stuff he done so far like diverting government spending so his companies and other stuff is going come out to light and day.
I worked for a some people like him and his family they never took "no that can't be done" as an answer.
Rich people feel the law or any law does not apply to them.
Right now American universities cannot supply enough software engineers to supply the demand of US companies. So migration is the only answer I live in the heart of Silicon Valley and you can quit you job in the morning and have another job in the afternoon.
People who migrate to this country are hard working people - the lazy ones stay and home.

wow look how you discriminate against a group of people just because they reach you think that they’re all horrible beings. Like every group of people there are the good and bad ones shockingly. When Trump got nominated for a presidential candidate are used to be one of those people that was cursing him and thought that he was just a megalomaniac Lex Luthor type comic book villain that he would bring the world to an end if he becomes president just because he’s rich and he was a famous celebrity.

But I changed my mind as soon as I saw him working for the middle class as a Pesident and improving the country for the better, promoting pro-life legislation and public praying etc.

We are all biased in the way but you cannot keep being biased when you get to know better the man and see his actions.
[automerge]1570105938[/automerge]
Go Tim! In protest he should invite "Dreamers" to live with him in his mansion until DACA protections are passed.

Bingo! Too bad no interviewer will ever ask him these questions in his face.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This is the only home they have ever had. They’re as American as you are
I think that DACA kids should be allowed to stay, since they did not make the travel themselves nor were they brought willingly. But to say that they are just as American as somebody who's family has been here since the colonial era is not correct. DACA kids are only here because of a loophole, in that they are protected children of illegals.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Please stop conflating legal with illegal immigrants.

We have immigration laws, little different from those of most other countries, for good reason.

Also worth noting that the US has lower barriers for entry than most other developed nations and also takes the largest number of legal immigrants BY A MILE compared to any other country including far more immigrants from impoverished nations... a.k.a, those immigrants that will immediately require state and local financial assistance even to become established in the US.

This entire "the USA is a racist anti-immigrant" nation is absolutely absurd. One in five people living in the USA currently was not born here. That is an enormous social-economic impact to the US and voters have demonstrated repeatedly at the ballot box that they want to slow the pace of LEGAL immigration into the US let alone scoff-laws who enter the country illegally.

Reactions: Huck

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think that DACA kids should be allowed to stay, since they did not make the travel themselves nor were they brought willingly. But to say that they are just as American as somebody who's family has been here since the colonial era is not correct. DACA kids are only here because of a loophole, in that they are protected children of illegals.
My family came from Italy in the 1930s to escape fascism. Are you suggesting I'm less American than someone "who's family has been here since the colonial era"?

America is all I have ever known. It's my life and my culture. See how silly you sound?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.