Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So are you?

• Yes I am! Finally!

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Yep but I already was! 8.3 continues to carry the torch

Votes: 92 36.2%
  • Nope, grrrrr! When???!!

Votes: 97 38.2%

• Total voters

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
8.2, stuttery as hell. 8.3, still stuttery as hell. On my mini 2, iPhone 6 is fine. I literally see no difference. On either device. It's 8.2 with new emojis, and messages sorter.

I endured another day of Safari acting stupid again. I'm nearing the point of not giving a damn anymore. I'm imagining taking a sledgehammer and laying waste to my 6+. If I had Jony Ives address I'd mail him the carcass.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Does anyone else have huge "App to Homescreen" lag on their A7 iPad? I'm using a mini 2 to be specific but it shouldn't make a difference whether it's a mini 3 or air. The big stutter only really happens after I have used an app for awhile, not sure if it's app specific. I have seen it with messages, Safari, and clash of clans, my main apps. It seems worse if a keyboard is open. The "stutter" looks more like you only see the last part of the animation. Hard to explain, and hard to replicate, it only occurs after using an app for a long amount of time.

I'm gonna do a set up as new to see if that fixes it because I haven't heard of anyone else having problems. I would like to do a full DFU mode restore but that kind of intimidates me, not sure how to approach either since I haven't done it. Would a regular iTunes restore suffice?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Does anyone else have huge "App to Homescreen" lag on their A7 iPad? I'm using a mini 2 to be specific but it shouldn't make a difference whether it's a mini 3 or air. The big stutter only really happens after I have used an app for awhile, not sure if it's app specific. I have seen it with messages, Safari, and clash of clans, my main apps. It seems worse if a keyboard is open. The "stutter" looks more like you only see the last part of the animation. Hard to explain, and hard to replicate, it only occurs after using an app for a long amount of time.

I'm gonna do a set up as new to see if that fixes it because I haven't heard of anyone else having problems. I would like to do a full DFU mode restore but that kind of intimidates me, not sure how to approach either since I haven't done it. Would a regular iTunes restore suffice?

I do a DFU everytime and aside from pressing a couple of buttons on your phone, it's all automatic. That way I'm getting a fresh, clean install of the firmware and o/s without any of my previous clutter. Then I just restore from my iCloud backup.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My iPad Mini 2 is now more buggy than my iPad 2. More jittering and more mail crashes as of iOS 8.3 which is freaking annoying.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
XTheLancerX

Open iTunes, make sure you have a WiFi connection on your computer/Mac and connect your device via USB. Then press and hold the power button and home button together. After approx five seconds release the power button but keep the home button pressed. It may take you a couple of tries to get the timing right but when DFU is activated a pop-up will appear on your pc/Mac screen. OK this and then hit the restore button.
Sit back and await the results.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
No. Redesigning the GUI was a backwards waste of time.

I don't disagree, by "satisfied" I mean in terms of bugs experienced not preference of design.

I theme my phone using Winterboard but that is why I'm on 8.1.1 still

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
It's been slowly improving, but Safari on my iPad 3 is still slow and "stuttery" compared to iOS 7 or 6. I really would downgrade if I could since none of the new "features" of 8 have been useful for my iPad.

8 runs fine on my 6+ though.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
8.3 has brought a number of issues for me:
1. Crashes to :apple: screen and reboot, nothing in Diagnostics logs
2. Bluetooth errors and stutters audio then a crash of the BT stack
3. Exchange email not updating, even with pull down to refresh until I kill mail and relaunch - first relaunch will crash mail, but then all is good
4. Slow cell data
5. Safari will crash consistently, like trying to make a numbered list in a MacRumours post.

8.2 wouldn't let me open my address book, at least that's fixed.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I hate the way on my 6* that I can be using the phone in portrait, double-press to get my open apps and suddenly the list is in landscape. I have to select the home screen before I can get the phone in portrait again and this has been happening since I first got the phone. 8.3 has fixed a lot of bugs, and improved some others, but this niggle still remains.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
They fixed the status bar when viewing photos/launching apps and the dot next to the spacebar in Safari, which after 8.1 were my only major complaints. I like it!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Are we satisfied with iOS 8 (yet?) on 8.3?

8.3 runs fine on my Mini 2. No complaints here. But like you, OP, I won't update my iPhone until a jailbreak is released.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
it's all good IF iOS 8.3 have the same battery life as ios8.0..

Yes, it's a definite shame. Right through to 8.1.1 my 6+ had amazing battery life but now it's just ok. I used to get 11-12 hours of usage and now it's 9.45-10.15. That extra hour or so made all the difference because sometimes, occasionally, I don't last the full day. Some peeps who have an i6 running on 8.1.1 or earlier get not far off the usage time I experience with my 6+ on 8.3

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I would say that the majority of nope answers are probably on 6+'s. There are still a lot of bugs and issue on the 6+. Animations still stutter quite a bit too.

Battery life is not as good as 8.0 on the 6+, but it is closer than any other version.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Keychain still doesn't work on my iPhone 6 nor my iPad air but is works great on my 2013 MBP 15". Oh well, I can live without it.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I've been using iOS since the iPhone 4 and have not had any problems. So, yes, I am quite happy with iOS 8.3.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yes, it's a definite shame. Right through to 8.1.1 my 6+ had amazing battery life but now it's just ok. I used to get 11-12 hours of usage and now it's 9.45-10.15. That extra hour or so made all the difference because sometimes, occasionally, I don't last the full day. Some peeps who have an i6 running on 8.1.1 or earlier get not far off the usage time I experience with my 6+ on 8.3

Yikes. This is making me wonder if I should update to 8.3 once jailbroken or not.

On 8.1.1 on 6+, seemingly the great version for battery.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yikes. This is making me wonder if I should update to 8.3 once jailbroken or not.

On 8.1.1 on 6+, seemingly the great version for battery.

A great version for battery life but a horribly buggy mess.
8.3 is light years ahead, especially on the 6+. It really does behave like a different phone. Although I wish that Apple could trim the fat and revert the battery life to how it was in the earlier iterations of iOS8, I would take the 8.3 improvements over the earlier battery life in a heartbeat. No spinning data wheel in Safari, no select/copy bug in Safari, Safari links working correctly in landscape, the longer space bar on the websearch keyboard and the much minimised crashing issues. I don't know how anyone who owns a 6+ hasn't been downloading the iOS updates the moment they appear in a desperate quest to get their phone working correctly...

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
For me, anything from iOS 8 - iOS 8.1.3 was HORRENDOUS for battery life. I averaged 3.5-4.5 hours on a charge on my 6 back then. Now it is 7-8 hours without even trying. I can get a solid 9-10 hours if I really work towards it, but frankly, since I am able to easily make it through 2 days without charging now, I'm satisfied.

Also, standby time has increased dramatically. I remember in 45 minutes it drained 12% IN MY POCKET. Now if I leave the phone unplugged at 100% at night, it's still at 100% in the morning.

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
Upgraded to 8.3 the day it was released. iPhone 6+ (AT&T)

Here's the issues I have seen:

1. After I highlight and copy of portion of text or picture or whatever and immediately go to messages to "Paste" what's in the clipboard, "Paste" disappears before I can touch it. Then I hold down again to get the "Paste" option, and it stays long enough for me to hit it. Does it EVERY time.

2. The random landscape turning has not been fixed...actually seems worse.

3. Wifi seems shaky, still.

Sure glad they were able to satisfy the PC (politically correct) crowd and add a bunch of emojis. :rolleyes:

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
No. Redesigning the GUI was a backwards waste of time.

Actually the redesign of the GUI was already in progress before Forstall was fired...it was happening no matter what. It just may have been not as drastic but it was still going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.