Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So are you?

• Yes I am! Finally!

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Yep but I already was! 8.3 continues to carry the torch

Votes: 92 36.2%
  • Nope, grrrrr! When???!!

Votes: 97 38.2%

• Total voters

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Yeah, I'm probably 98-99% confident it's not a hardware issue. Now I have been racking my brains as to when I think this problem came about. At first I was sure it was on iOS 8.1.1, but it can't have been!

I got my phone (with 8.0.2 installed) on the 13th Dec, and looking at the release dates of iOS online 8.1.2 was launched on the 9th Dec, so the first thing I would have done is update the OS to that.

My phone had great battery life until not too long ago. It turns out that iOS 8.1.3 was released in January, and I had no battery issues in February, so that rules out 8.1.3 as being the culprit. My problems started in March, and what happened to launch in March.....iOS 8.2!!

So looks like 8.2 started my battery woes. I originally thought it was 8.1.1 due to remembering great battery life on 8.0.2, but I never had issues that far back.

So 8.2 started my problems and 8.3 continues them. Fingers crossed for 8.4 then!

Also, I saw on Redit the other day that one user who had appalling battery life on 8.2 actually gained 2 hours usage and 6 hours standby time when 8.3 came out. So looks like I am not the only with with issues on 8.2, and from what you've said I'm also not the only one who has issues with 8.3.....:rolleyes:

Oh, and with 8.3 not only is my Mail App buggy, so is the Health App. I opened it up today and all my data looked like it had gone. Closed the app properly, re-opened, still nothing. Had to turn the phone off, then on again for the data to come back.

If that's not signs that iOS 8.3 is buggy as hell (2 core apps, Mail & Health, are having problems), then I don't know what is.

For me 8.2 was perfect. Only 6-8% lost overnight max. On 8.3 this is now 40-60% points lost. I've no idea what's happening. Battery usage doesn't help me. And the other. Isn't the phone switched off completely at around 10% remaining. I've never restored to an earlier iOS version before, but I've run out of options now.

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
It seems to have broken my home screen. For most bright white images I want to use, it shades them.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429951376.974175.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429951391.853235.jpg

No solution from Apple, they didn't see anything related in the change log. Any suggestions?

Timmeh8604

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
I did a clean install of 8.3 on my 128gb 6 plus, then restored from backup after updating. I have had a lot of crashing apps, reloading apps when switching between only two apps, text when typing lags, and overall sluggishness. I have 88gb free so my phone is not overly filled with stuff. Not sure what to do.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It seems to have broken my home screen. For most bright white images I want to use, it shades them.. View attachment 545450
View attachment 545451

No solution from Apple, they didn't see anything related in the change log. Any suggestions?

I hate that shading! It *ruins* a lot of perfectly good wallpapers! Why don't they just put in some more drop shadows? Not anything crazy, but something that is around the text AND the icons. There needs to be some distinction between the icons and the wallpaper because if a wallpaper is even slightly too "busy" or slightly too bright, the icons and wallpaper completely blend in and it's a mess.

toughnut

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014
Interesting, but what gets me is there are quite a few people with the exact same issue on the Apple Support forums. Can it be possible that everyone has the same hardware charging port/circuit issue? Even some people with brand new phones, just out the box (not many of those though)....

How long did your battery last when you had this issue? I have also noticed that my phone gets pretty warm when browsing on Safari, which it never used to do, so again, looks like there is something running and causing the CPU to run more than normal, hence draining the battery.

Even my work colleagues battery drains at the same rate as mine???

Thinking of waiting until 8.4, then if that doesn't fix it, go back and insit they look at it properly.

It easily drain 20% within 2-3 hours of standby. I think it was triggered by charging with laptop's USB port.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
It easily drain 20% within 2-3 hours of standby. I think it was triggered by charging with laptop's USB port.

Well I left it disconnected as I slept last night and it drained another 40% in 8 hours. Went to the :apple: store this morning. The "Genius" said there was nothing out of the ordinary. I told him to look at his graph of battery drain from midnight to 8am and tell me that it is normal. Told him Apple say the phone should last 250 hours in standby and at this rate it wouldn't last 24 hours!

He said "yeah but it will still be running in the background" or some rubbish, so I showed him the usage stats. By the time I went into the store it had 11.5 hours standby, 1.5 hours use and was down to 19% battery. Asked him to explain that, to which he couldn't.

He went into the back and came out saying "this was restored from a backup" to which I said yeah, after setting it up as a new phone twice and it not working. He said they need to see data from the phone with it setup as a new phone before they can do anything. Said ok, can you restore it, I'll kick around for 2-3 hours and come back. You'll see it's just as bad. He said no, they need 2-3 DAYS worth of data!

So he restored it as new. Right now I have the phone setup with location services off, BT off, Siri off, no pics, no apps, no contacts, no email, no iCloud...NOTHING.

In during my 20 minute drive home the battery lost another 3%!! Totally useless! I did say to him, what will they do if it's still the same after 2-3 days. Do they have to sent it away?

He said no, they will replace the entire phone for my on the spot with a new one. So going to book an appointment for Tuesday after work. That way they will have 2.5 days worth of data.

During that time I am going to fully charge it and leave it overnight unplugged again to prove that this is a problem with their kit, not my backup.

Oh well, hopefully have it sorted in a couple of days. :(

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Well I left it disconnected as I slept last night and it drained another 40% in 8 hours. Went to the :apple: store this morning. The "Genius" said there was nothing out of the ordinary. I told him to look at his graph of battery drain from midnight to 8am and tell me that it is normal. Told him Apple say the phone should last 250 hours in standby and at this rate it wouldn't last 24 hours!

He said "yeah but it will still be running in the background" or some rubbish, so I showed him the usage stats. By the time I went into the store it had 11.5 hours standby, 1.5 hours use and was down to 19% battery. Asked him to explain that, to which he couldn't.

He went into the back and came out saying "this was restored from a backup" to which I said yeah, after setting it up as a new phone twice and it not working. He said they need to see data from the phone with it setup as a new phone before they can do anything. Said ok, can you restore it, I'll kick around for 2-3 hours and come back. You'll see it's just as bad. He said no, they need 2-3 DAYS worth of data!

So he restored it as new. Right now I have the phone setup with location services off, BT off, Siri off, no pics, no apps, no contacts, no email, no iCloud...NOTHING.

In during my 20 minute drive home the battery lost another 3%!! Totally useless! I did say to him, what will they do if it's still the same after 2-3 days. Do they have to sent it away?

He said no, they will replace the entire phone for my on the spot with a new one. So going to book an appointment for Tuesday after work. That way they will have 2.5 days worth of data.

During that time I am going to fully charge it and leave it overnight unplugged again to prove that this is a problem with their kit, not my backup.

Oh well, hopefully have it sorted in a couple of days. :(

can you tell me which phone do you have :)?

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
I hate that shading! It *ruins* a lot of perfectly good wallpapers! Why don't they just put in some more drop shadows? Not anything crazy, but something that is around the text AND the icons. There needs to be some distinction between the icons and the wallpaper because if a wallpaper is even slightly too "busy" or slightly too bright, the icons and wallpaper completely blend in and it's a mess.

I would like to have the choice. Before 8.3, the leopard wallpaper was bright white and I like my wallpapers like that. It is a much cleaner look. Sometimes when setting it you can get a bright white preview but it doesn't always actually show up as a bright white.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
can you tell me which phone do you have :)?

I have an iPhone 6. So, an update! This morning I got up and took my phone off charge at 5:30am. I decided to leave my phone at home as I didn't need it today in the office and I don't have access to emails, etc during the battery testing phase.

By 5:30pm the battery had lost 57% and was down to 43% remaining in just 12 hours! My local apple store is open until 8pm. Went in at 7:30pm, got a pretty nice, chilled out guy who was helpful, he did the usual tests but I explain that the phone sat dormant for 12 hours and he could see the battery drain on his iPad in the graph. He spoke to the manager, they both agreed something wasn't right, he checked my iPhone in the back then came out and said they can replace the battery. Only after they do that will they be able to replace the phone itself.

I thought that was fair, so I said go for it. By this time it was 7:55pm and they were closing in 5 minutes. He went round back, then came out 10 mins later and said there was a change of plan!

Turns out there are 2 tabs that you need to pull to get the battery off its glue.....in his haste (his words) he broke both of them! He said they have strict rules that if both tabs break off then they have to replace the whole phone.

So he took out a white box with a new phone and swapped it there and then. The new phone might not be brand new (can't tell if it is a refurb or not), but what I do know is it is newer than mine! My old serial number began Cxxxxxxx, where as the new one begins Fxxxxxxx, and the "Space Grey" back of my old one was more silver, this is a proper space grey.

Phone came with iOS 8.2 installed, but it have had to update to iOS 8.3 because iTunes won't let me restore my last backup due to it being made when my old phone was on 8.3....fingers crossed!

However both the guy and the manager said they have never seen battery drain like it where the problem isn't some kind of rouge app. I said that's the exact reason I didn't install a single thing onto it after they restored it yesterday, so I could show them this was a more fundamental issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an iPhone 6. So, an update! This morning I got up and took my phone off charge at 5:30am. I decided to leave my phone at home as I didn't need it today in the office and I don't have access to emails, etc during the battery testing phase.

By 5:30pm the battery had lost 57% and was down to 43% remaining in just 12 hours! My local apple store is open until 8pm. Went in at 7:30pm, got a pretty nice, chilled out guy who was helpful, he did the usual tests but I explain that the phone sat dormant for 12 hours and he could see the battery drain on his iPad in the graph. He spoke to the manager, they both agreed something wasn't right, he checked my iPhone in the back then came out and said they can replace the battery. Only after they do that will they be able to replace the phone itself.

I thought that was fair, so I said go for it. By this time it was 7:55pm and they were closing in 5 minutes. He went round back, then came out 10 mins later and said there was a change of plan!

Turns out there are 2 tabs that you need to pull to get the battery off its glue.....in his haste (his words) he broke both of them! He said they have strict rules that if both tabs break off then they have to replace the whole phone.

So he took out a white box with a new phone and swapped it there and then. The new phone might not be brand new (can't tell if it is a refurb or not), but what I do know is it is newer than mine! My old serial number began Cxxxxxxx, where as the new one begins Fxxxxxxx, and the "Space Grey" back of my old one was more silver, this is a proper space grey.

Phone came with iOS 8.2 installed, but it have had to update to iOS 8.3 because iTunes won't let me restore my last backup due to it being made when my old phone was on 8.3....fingers crossed!

However both the guy and the manager said they have never seen battery drain like it where the problem isn't some kind of rouge app. I said that's the exact reason I didn't install a single thing onto it after they restored it yesterday, so I could show them this was a more fundamental issue.
Did you login to any accounts (iCloud or otherwise), or change any settings at all?

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Did you login to any accounts (iCloud or otherwise), or change any settings at all?

Nope. After they restored the phone I had nothing. No e-mail, no iCloud, no Bluetooth, no Location Services, etc, absolutely nothing!

All I had was cell network connection and a connection to my home WiFi.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope. After they restored the phone I had nothing. No e-mail, no iCloud, no Bluetooth, no Location Services, etc, absolutely nothing!

All I had was cell network connection and a connection to my home WiFi.

And it would drain that badly in that configuration while on standby?

Are the cell and WiFi signals known to be good (and have been good at this time as well)? In case there might be something going on with those and the device is struggling to keep a marginal connecting or is perhaps constantly losing and acquiring it or something along those lines?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Lollipop is where it's now at - really impressive. :eek:

I guess you haven't used an s5 on lollipop lol such a joke. Kit Kat was so smooth on it now lollipop has made the device unusable. Worst update. While iOS might run slow on older devices when upgraded in my opinion at least it's usable.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
And it would drain that badly in that configuration while on standby?

Are the cell and WiFi signals known to be good (and have been good at this time as well)? In case there might be something going on with those and the device is struggling to keep a marginal connecting or is perhaps constantly losing and acquiring it or something along those lines?

Yes it was draining that fast in that configuration. As a matter of fact it drained at that rate regardless of configuration. Changing settings made zero difference.

As for signal strength, my WiFi was perfect signal and my cell signal was 3-4 dots of 4G coverage, so pretty good. However even when in the city centre with 5 dots 4G it was the same, heck even on airplane mode it was the same!!

No matter what you did, it just drained that fast, or faster when actually in use. Absolutely nothing would actually improve the battery life, short of turning off the entire phone.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
So I finally transitioned from 8.1.1 to 8.3 this past week in light of TaiG jailbreak news.

Was stock for 48h, and can safely say better performance and smoother all around on my 6+

even loaded up with tweaks now, seems less laggy and still buttery smooth

Mark me as finally pleased, all things considered. Hopefully 8.4 can be JB'en and brings even more performance

if not I can gladly wait until iOS 9/JB or the next big thing worthy, really hoping 9.0 isn't a nightmare and step backwards in maturity

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The issue for me is memory. The 6 Plus is gimped. Frankly, it's the worst iPhone experience I've ever had and I've had them since the 3GS.

This weekend I was trying to take pics at a baseball game. The camera app kept crashing or simply rebooted my phone.

Listening to music is not that great especially when I'm switching between apps and processing photos.

There simply isn't enough memory to push all those pixels.

Reactions: sunking101

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
The issue for me is memory. The 6 Plus is gimped. Frankly, it's the worst iPhone experience I've ever had and I've had them since the 3GS.

This weekend I was trying to take pics at a baseball game. The camera app kept crashing or simply rebooted my phone.

Listening to music is not that great especially when I'm switching between apps and processing photos.

Lol, what pixels? It's only 1080p

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
That the memory can't handle...

I still don't get what you mean, if the camera is making your phone reboot then I think you have a problem with your phone.

Also I think your use of the word gimped is a horrible word to use.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
never really experienced many issues to begin with so i am fine with 8.3 or even the current iOS betas

the only thing i hate is my iPhone 6 battery life but i think the culprit is the phone itself

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

Does the music ever crackle when you are switching/loading apps? Mine does it once and awhile. I think it's killing apps and that's where the crackle comes from.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lol, what pixels? It's only 1080p

The native resolution isn't 1080p.
However, even after downscaling more RAM is used to push the pixels on the 6+ than on any other iPhone and yet the 6+ has the same amount of RAM as the i5/5S/i6. With no dedicated VRAM where do you think the graphics ability to power the HD screen comes from? I agree with the poster you quoted, the 6+ is simply underpowered for the job it has to do and whoever signed off the spec for the 6+ needs sacking, or to fall on his sword if he's unsackable. As an absolute minimum, 6+ owners should receive a heavily subsidised upgrade to the 6S+ when it is released. This is far, FAR worse than the Apple Maps debacle. Apple Maps didn't cost me £699 and nor do I use the app all day long.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Does the music ever crackle when you are switching/loading apps? Mine does it once and awhile. I think it's killing apps and that's where the crackle comes from.

Yep. The music skips a second when I'm exporting photos from an app, switching apps, etc.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
After a day of use on my iPhone 5 I'm happy to report that everything works fine on 8.4 and that battery life seems to be the same as it was on 8.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.