Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So are you?

• Yes I am! Finally!

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Yep but I already was! 8.3 continues to carry the torch

Votes: 92 36.2%
  • Nope, grrrrr! When???!!

Votes: 97 38.2%

• Total voters

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I'd agree that iOS 6 on an iPhone 5 was smoother and faster than iOS 8 is on iPhone 6. Perhaps people's experience can vary, but I would argue that more people would still agree.

As for the whole "planned obsolescence", it's an idea for sure, but it doesn't mean it's reality.

People have short memories and think yesterday was better than today.

Whether it's planned obsolescence or not, Apple does not spend enough time making sure older hardware runs well on new OS's.

With the modest updates that happen each year in iOS, the drop off in performance doesn't seem to match up.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
People have short memories and think yesterday was better than today.

Whether it's planned obsolescence or not, Apple does not spend enough time making sure older hardware runs well on new OS's.

With the modest updates that happen each year in iOS, the drop off in performance doesn't seem to match up.

I'll agree with that. How can a few new features which can be switched off or not used at all slow a phone down to a crawl across the board? iOS7 apparently ran ok on the 4S but iOS8 has slowed it down in much the same way that iOS7 slowed the i4 down. One could argue that with the textures and new features, iOS7 was a more demanding o/s than iOS6 but what's the excuse with iOS8? It looks identical to iOS7 and yet it slows the 4S to a crawl. Apple has form here, with the oldest supported device always taking a big hit in performance. Thankfully I have learnt my lessons with iOS updates on older devices but I was still burned once and it isn't nice.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
LOL. I am on ios 7.1.2. What are the iphone 5 users opinion about the new ios8.3? Is it true what apple is stating me there to do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 122

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
LOL. I am on ios 7.1.2. What are the iphone 5 users opinion about the new ios8.3? Is it true what apple is stating me there to do?

Improved performance and increased stability my butt!
All lies!
Sure 8.3 is ok and iOS8 is at last usable without severe frustration, but in no way does it offer performance and stability improvements over 7.1.2
It isn't even as good in those areas, let alone better.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
All lies!
Sure 8.3 is ok and iOS8 is at last usable without severe frustration, but in no way does it offer performance and stability improvements over 7.1.2

Thank you very much my friend for your feedback!! I guess that i rather stay with ios7.1.2... Too many people in my opinion complaining about the performance of the Iphone 5:(

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Thank you very much my friend for your feedback!! I guess that i rather stay with ios7.1.2... Too many people in my opinion complaining about the performance of the Iphone 5:(

Not just on the i5, on the 6 and 6+ too.
iOS8 is just plain not as good as 7.1.2 at the moment.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All lies!
Well, all those things pretty much apply for the most part in comparison to previous iOS 8 versions.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
I'm still on 8.1 (Jailbroken.)

My battery life has been perfect, and no other issues.

One of the reasons I myself have stayed where I am.:cool:

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
Aside from the security fixes from 8.1 to 8.3.

Quite a few people I know reported battery life got much worse after.

I value having a device that can go from 6am to 11pm without issue.

Yes a lot of security fixes, but unless you're not being very smart/not savvy with your device, not many that would effect me.

I probably will update eventually, but most likely closer to 8.4.

Touch ID glitches in 8.3 turn me off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Yes a lot of security fixes, but unless you're not being very smart/not savvy with your device, not many that would effect me.

Haven't come across battery or TouchID issues on a few devices with iOS 8.3 that I use and various others that different people I know use.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
Haven't come across battery or TouchID issues on a few devices with iOS 8.3 that I use and various others that different people I know use.

Yeah it seems to be hit and miss.

Im staying where I am for now though. To each their own really.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah it seems to be hit and miss.

Im staying where I am for now though. To each their own really.
Yeah, everyone can certainly decide for themselves. The reality is that pretty much with every update there will be some reporting battery issues and/or some other issues of one type or another, but for the most part they aren't usually widespread.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Pretty much what C DM said mirrors my sentiments.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
View attachment 543168
It looks like apple wants me to update my 5S off of 7.1.2

I supposed I will think about it....

Whatever anyone's opinion of the benefits of iOS8 over iOS 7.1.2, nobody can argue that 8.3 is a stability and performance upgrade over 7.1.2
I expect that iPhone 4S users get the same message, which is frankly laughable.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Battery on ios8.2 was fantastic. However, something has broken and leaving the phone at 100% overnight, I'm waking up to it being at around 50-60% Usage seems to be Safari and Lock Screen. I've done all the obvious stuff to reduce battery usage to no avail. I didn't really tinker with any settings since 8.2. I'm wondering whether to do a DFU restore to 8.3 and then restoring from backup (new phone will be too painful).

My last hope is switching off iCloud, restarting, switching it back on again and then going a final restart. I think it might be some iCloud stuff that's spinning.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'm still on 8.1 (Jailbroken.)

My battery life has been perfect, and no other issues.

One of the reasons I myself have stayed where I am.:cool:

this is making me paranoid for when the next JB does come out if its 8.3 or up.

I'm hearing theres random apple springboard crashes on 8.3 too, perhaps more frequently and commonly. Mine doesn't that often at all.

I've been relatively happy with my 6+ on 8.1.1 but its tweaked out to relative perfection. the refresh issue is ofc unavoidable.

LOL to the prompt wanting you to upgrade 7.1.2 on iPhone :D

7.1.2 on iPhone 5 was pretty great

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Battery on ios8.2 was fantastic. However, something has broken and leaving the phone at 100% overnight, I'm waking up to it being at around 50-60% Usage seems to be Safari and Lock Screen. I've done all the obvious stuff to reduce battery usage to no avail. I didn't really tinker with any settings since 8.2. I'm wondering whether to do a DFU restore to 8.3 and then restoring from backup (new phone will be too painful).

My last hope is switching off iCloud, restarting, switching it back on again and then going a final restart. I think it might be some iCloud stuff that's spinning.

At least it's not just me then. Have a look at my posts starting on page 4. My phone is doing the same. Go to bed with 100% charge, wake up 8 hours later with 60% charge remaining!

I have wiped the phone, set it up as new, not connected to iCloud, everything off, etc and just sitting idle it still did the same.

Also, I have found my mail app has become very buggy since iOS 8.3 came out. Last night I wiped it again and test it as a new phone. Made no difference to battery (with no e-mails, no iCloud, nothing) and when I did setup my mail it was still buggy.

Ended up just putting my backup back onto the phone. Still the same, but at least I haven't lost anything.

Please Apple, bring us 8.4 with fixes for the battery & mail app.

Oh, and just to add, I downloaded iBackupBot because it has the function to check your battery. These are my stats.....

CycleCount: 157
DesignCapacity: 1800
FullChargeCapacity: 1751

So there you have it, the battery should in theory hold 1800mAh, but my actual one is holdin 1751mAh, which means I still have 97.28% of the actual capacity I had when the phone was brand new back in December.

That also backs up what the Apple Store said. There is nothing wrong with the hardware, so it has to be a software issue. The fact it does it on a totally clean install with NOTHING setup points the finger to the only piece of software it can be.....iOS! :mad::rolleyes:

toughnut

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014
@H3rman

If battery check is OK and iOS is in clean state, might be possible hardware issue. Encountered this previously with my first 6 Plus. Done whatever possible (restore from backup, reformat as new, refresh battery, etc) and battery still draining like crazy. In the end, after spending 2 hours at Apple Service Center, the charging port/circuit to be blamed. The hardware fault cause the battery to drain, no matter what's going on the software side.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
@H3rman

If battery check is OK and iOS is in clean state, might be possible hardware issue. Encountered this previously with my first 6 Plus. Done whatever possible (restore from backup, reformat as new, refresh battery, etc) and battery still draining like crazy. In the end, after spending 2 hours at Apple Service Center, the charging port/circuit to be blamed. The hardware fault cause the battery to drain, no matter what's going on the software side.

Interesting, but what gets me is there are quite a few people with the exact same issue on the Apple Support forums. Can it be possible that everyone has the same hardware charging port/circuit issue? Even some people with brand new phones, just out the box (not many of those though)....

How long did your battery last when you had this issue? I have also noticed that my phone gets pretty warm when browsing on Safari, which it never used to do, so again, looks like there is something running and causing the CPU to run more than normal, hence draining the battery.

Even my work colleagues battery drains at the same rate as mine???

Thinking of waiting until 8.4, then if that doesn't fix it, go back and insit they look at it properly.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Interesting, but what gets me is there are quite a few people with the exact same issue on the Apple Support forums. Can it be possible that everyone has the same hardware charging port/circuit issue? Even some people with brand new phones, just out the box (not many of those though)....

How long did your battery last when you had this issue? I have also noticed that my phone gets pretty warm when browsing on Safari, which it never used to do, so again, looks like there is something running and causing the CPU to run more than normal, hence draining the battery.

Even my work colleagues battery drains at the same rate as mine???

Thinking of waiting until 8.4, then if that doesn't fix it, go back and insit they look at it properly.

I'd be surprised if it's a hardware issue although it's possible. It coincided with the release of 8.3. I can confirm a DFU restore didn't fix the issue. Will try a DFU to 8.2 and see if I'm back to where I started.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
I'd be surprised if it's a hardware issue although it's possible. It coincided with the release of 8.3. I can confirm a DFU restore didn't fix the issue. Will try a DFU to 8.2 and see if I'm back to where I started.

Yeah, I'm probably 98-99% confident it's not a hardware issue. Now I have been racking my brains as to when I think this problem came about. At first I was sure it was on iOS 8.1.1, but it can't have been!

I got my phone (with 8.0.2 installed) on the 13th Dec, and looking at the release dates of iOS online 8.1.2 was launched on the 9th Dec, so the first thing I would have done is update the OS to that.

My phone had great battery life until not too long ago. It turns out that iOS 8.1.3 was released in January, and I had no battery issues in February, so that rules out 8.1.3 as being the culprit. My problems started in March, and what happened to launch in March.....iOS 8.2!!

So looks like 8.2 started my battery woes. I originally thought it was 8.1.1 due to remembering great battery life on 8.0.2, but I never had issues that far back.

So 8.2 started my problems and 8.3 continues them. Fingers crossed for 8.4 then!

Also, I saw on Redit the other day that one user who had appalling battery life on 8.2 actually gained 2 hours usage and 6 hours standby time when 8.3 came out. So looks like I am not the only with with issues on 8.2, and from what you've said I'm also not the only one who has issues with 8.3.....:rolleyes:

Oh, and with 8.3 not only is my Mail App buggy, so is the Health App. I opened it up today and all my data looked like it had gone. Closed the app properly, re-opened, still nothing. Had to turn the phone off, then on again for the data to come back.

If that's not signs that iOS 8.3 is buggy as hell (2 core apps, Mail & Health, are having problems), then I don't know what is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.