Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So are you?

• Yes I am! Finally!

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Yep but I already was! 8.3 continues to carry the torch

Votes: 92 36.2%
  • Nope, grrrrr! When???!!

Votes: 97 38.2%

• Total voters

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
12 hours total. The phone said it had 3 hours usage over that 12 hour period. Just now I unplugged my phone before I went to bed as a test and in 8 hours it lost 40%, which means I would get 20 hours from it on standby with zero usage.

It does day it has been used for 1 hour in those 8 hours (background stuff I presume, checking mail, app refreshing, etc).

However with my old 5 I could go to bed with it at 100% and wake up with it at 98% after the same time period. I gave my 5 to my mum and I believe she still has it on 8.1.1 with no battery drain issues, so what is is about the iPhone 6 that is causing this?

Surely I shouldn't be loosing 40% of battery while the phone sits there and does nothing for 8 hours.....
Yeah, something doesn't seem right. But it doesn't seem iOS related as most others don't have this issue. Have you tried resetting some settings or perhaps even reinstalling as new?

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Yeah, something doesn't seem right. But it doesn't seem iOS related as most others don't have this issue. Have you tried resetting some settings or perhaps even reinstalling as new?

Go to the top of the last page and read my first post in this thread. I have tried wiping the phone, setting up as new and not installing anything for a day to test. It was like a new, unboxed phone.

No emails, no apps, nothing. It was the exact same. Apple store have shown me the diagnostics which says the battery is holding 100% it's original capacity. So the hardware is fine.

If the hardware is fine and it's doing the exact same on a fresh copy of iOS 8.3 with nothing installed then it has to be the iOS.

A colleague at work has similar battery life. After 4.5 hours (with about 1.5 hours use) his battery is down to 73%. I did a test and after the same 4.5 hours with about 1.5 hours use my battery was down to 70%. I do have my brightness up higher and bluetooth on, do that's where I put the 3% difference down to, along with the fact that my usage might have been more intensive stuff than his.

So it's not just my phone that appears to have poor battery life, seems to be that something in iOS is draining the battery.

There is absolutely nothing else I can put it down do. I have tried every tip/trick/fix under the sun and it all points to iOS being the culprit.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to the top of the last page and read my first post in this thread. I have tried wiping the phone, setting up as new and not installing anything for a day to test. It was like a new, unboxed phone.

No emails, no apps, nothing. It was the exact same. Apple store have shown me the diagnostics which says the battery is holding 100% it's original capacity. So the hardware is fine.

If the hardware is fine and it's doing the exact same on a fresh copy of iOS 8.3 with nothing installed then it has to be the iOS.

A colleague at work has similar battery life. After 4.5 hours (with about 1.5 hours use) his battery is down to 73%. I did a test and after the same 4.5 hours with about 1.5 hours use my battery was down to 70%. I do have my brightness up higher and bluetooth on, do that's where I put the 3% difference down to, along with the fact that my usage might have been more intensive stuff than his.

So it's not just my phone that appears to have poor battery life, seems to be that something in iOS is draining the battery.

There is absolutely nothing else I can put it down do. I have tried every tip/trick/fix under the sun and it all points to iOS being the culprit.

Well, not sure what to say. Perhaps the cell coverage in your area is rather poor and affecting battery life on phones. Most people with iOS 8.3 or even other versions of iOS 8 aren't having these types of battery issues, implying that it's less likely to be an inherent iOS issue of some sort.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Well, not sure what to say. Perhaps the cell coverage in your area is rather poor and affecting battery life on phones. Most people with iOS 8.3 or even other versions of iOS 8 aren't having these types of battery issues, implying that it's less likely to be an inherent iOS issue of some sort.

I have seen people on other forums say the same as me on 8.2 & 8.3. Reception is good most places I go. On one of the largest networks in the country. However I wonder if it's something to do with carrier updates, hence it affects some people and not others. My work colleague is on the same network as me.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Not happy with 8.3? Maybe Apple needs to rehire legend Scott Forstall and hope new 8.5 will be announce at WWDC? Then Tim Cook will start fire someone else for shoddy work on 8.2 and 8.3? :apple:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not happy with 8.3? Maybe Apple needs to rehire legend Scott Forstall and hope new 8.5 will be announce at WWDC? Then Tim Cook will start fire someone else for shoddy work on 8.2 and 8.3? :apple:

<sarcasm>And then what? Mr. Forstall gives up on his broadway producers job to produce another Apple Maps flop? </sarcasm>

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Smooth as silk on the Xperia.

You'll be telling us next Apple have covered themselves in glory with iOS 8 :rolleyes:

Don't know where you get the idea that I'm talking up iOS, I also use a Blackberry Passport and a Nokia 1520 and after using them they make iOS look amateurish.

No one operating system is perfect plus I like the change they bring when going from one to the other.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Some people did report poor battery life after updating to 8.3 on this forum. I have read about this on FB as well. I think it could be certain setting configurations that are leading to faster battery drain.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I have seen people on other forums say the same as me on 8.2 & 8.3. Reception is good most places I go. On one of the largest networks in the country. However I wonder if it's something to do with carrier updates, hence it affects some people and not others. My work colleague is on the same network as me.

Have you tried disabling all location services?

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Improvements are still needed.

There are apps on the iPhone that come installed, and they can not be deleted.

Also on iTunes ... the installed apps are not seen except for the pages where one can mouse click on them to arraign them on the iPhone, hit the apply button and it syncs it to the iMac.

With this the installed iPhone apps will not be updated by iTunes via the Apple Store ... cause the apps are NOT THERE ... as they can not be seen.

Some of them like Garage Band, I can delete via the Settings Manage Storage via the iPhone ... and then install the Garage Band app as a download. Then the updates will apply since iTunes will then see the app as installed .. but not before.

If i can grab an app icon on the pages via iTunes .. I want to be able to delete from the iPhone.

Some apps are there, and I will never use them, and I want to be rid of them.

But I can not do so ... as they can not be deleted.

So .. that is a fix which is needed.

Please ...

Alan

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Have you tried disabling all location services?

Yes I have, and no it didn't work. Made absolutely no difference at all. However even if that did work it's not a fix. I had everything turned on with my 3G, 4 & 5, so I shouldn't be expected to turn things off on my 6.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Don't know where you get the idea that I'm talking up iOS, I also use a Blackberry Passport and a Nokia 1520 and after using them they make iOS look amateurish.

No one operating system is perfect plus I like the change they bring when going from one to the other.

Once Android ... has music from your computer be stored for play on the road .. then they will get iPhone customers away from apple ... since Android has expandable memory and apple doesn't.

Buy an Apple iPhone basic with 8 gigs of memory and a memory slot for another 32 or 64 gigs or more .. just by putting one in.

Apple then keep their market .. and kick Android in the nuts financially speaking.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I don't doubt some people have some battery issues. But since it's not really widespread it makes the iOS version less like to be the culprit in itself as much as its something related to the particular configuration, device, location, and/or something else that would play a factor in it all. Otherwise most people would have this kind of an issue.

----------

Some people did report poor battery life after updating to 8.3 on this forum. I have read about this on FB as well. I think it could be certain setting configurations that are leading to faster battery drain.

The thing is that there are some people that report that kind of thing pretty much with any update. In the vast majority of cases it's still not something even close to affecting many or something inherently coming from the new iOS version.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
I don't doubt some people have some battery issues. But since it's not really widespread it makes the iOS version less like to be the culprit in itself as much as its something related to the particular configuration, device, location, and/or something else that would play a factor in it all. Otherwise most people would have this kind of an issue.

All I can say is what I've mentioned already. I've wiped the phone clean, set it up as a brand new device and it still drains the battery quickly.

It even happens when the phone is on Airplane Mode. So it's not a cellular/GPS/Bluetooth/wifi comms issue where it's using too much power searching for a signal.

One thing I will say is that it is MUCH better today than it was about 1-2 months ago. As per my previous post, I said that last night it drained 40% over 8 hours as I slept.

I remember testing this about 1-2 months ago, went to bed with the battery fully charged and woke up with only 25%!! I can't remember exactly how many hours it was sitting to get to 25%, but I very rarely sleep longer than 7-8 hours.

So things have drastically improved, but it's not as good as it was on iOS 8.0.2

It is all pointing towards the iOS for me. I'm not one of those people to complain about battery life after updates either. This is the first time I've had this issue since getting my iPhone 3G.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
One thing I will say is that it is MUCH better today than it was about 1-2 months ago. As per my previous post, I said that last night it drained 40% over 8 hours as I slept.

That sounds terrible... especially on iPhone 6. One thing I suggest is leaving the phone off for more than 12 hours after completely draining the battery.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
8.3 has been up and down for me. Safari is a disaster for me. It freezes and scrolling is choppy. Quick reply is very laggy when tapping on a message from the lockscreen. I was definitely expecting more from an apple flagship. I also have a Droid Turbo that is on my primary line and right now it runs circles around my iPhone which is a shame. I know the Turbo is speccd out but as much as we are told how much ios is optimized for the Apple hardware, it shouldn't happen. I really want to love my iPhone but when a $450 device runs better than a $1000 device I can't justify it. C'mon apple, you can do better! Granted, we'll see what happens when the Turbo gets lollipop, it could be a different story from what I've read.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
I have always found it strange that Tumblr, a data-heavy and intensive app, always scrolls smoothly and has never crashed on me. Nearly everything else, including stock apps and websites, give me grief.

There are those who know how to use grand central dispatch, and those who do not

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
All I can say is what I've mentioned already. I've wiped the phone clean, set it up as a brand new device and it still drains the battery quickly.

It even happens when the phone is on Airplane Mode. So it's not a cellular/GPS/Bluetooth/wifi comms issue where it's using too much power searching for a signal.

I remember testing this about 1-2 months ago, went to bed with the battery fully charged and woke up with only 25%!! I can't remember exactly how many hours it was sitting to get to 25%, but I very rarely sleep longer than 7-8 hours.

So things have drastically improved, but it's not as good as it was on iOS 8.0.2

It is all pointing towards the iOS for me. I'm not one of those people to complain about battery life after updates either. This is the first time I've had this issue since getting my iPhone 3G.

Have you tried asking for a new phone or letting the phone sit overnight at an Apple Store to prove that it's discharging at a ridiculous rate?

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Have you tried asking for a new phone or letting the phone sit overnight at an Apple Store to prove that it's discharging at a ridiculous rate?

There is no need to have it sit with them overnight to prove anything. The diagnostic data they pull from the phone gives them a graph of the last weeks worth of charge, showing how quickly the battery is draining to which the "genius" said all is ok (yeah, right)!

However as I said above the diagnostic data did show my battery is holding 100% charge after 120 load cycles, so hardware wise there is nothing wrong with the phone.

Speaking as a hardware engineer myself I am inclined to agree with that. 9/10 times we have issues with our systems it's a software one, and if the diagnostics show hardware is good, then 99% of the time it is.

Looking on the Apple forums there are quite a lot of complaints from people who have the exact usage/drain issues I do. Some of them have insisted on new phones, only to be faced with the same problem. Even when the new phones are setup as new phones (no restore).

That to me 100% cements that this is a software glitch affecting a relatively small percentage of phones out there, even some of the replacements.

EDIT: Just to add I have also downloaded GeekBench and performed the battery test that it has. My results were pretty much bang on what you would expect/what other iPhone 6 users were getting. So that further confirms that there is nothing wrong with the hardware itself and that the issue is just something running in the background when the phone is supposed to be on standby and draining the battery quicker than normal.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no need to have it sit with them overnight to prove anything. The diagnostic data they pull from the phone gives them a graph of the last weeks worth of charge, showing how quickly the battery is draining to which the "genius" said all is ok (yeah, right)!

However as I said above the diagnostic data did show my battery is holding 100% charge after 120 load cycles, so hardware wise there is nothing wrong with the phone.

Speaking as a hardware engineer myself I am inclined to agree with that. 9/10 times we have issues with our systems it's a software one, and if the diagnostics show hardware is good, then 99% of the time it is.

Looking on the Apple forums there are quite a lot of complaints from people who have the exact usage/drain issues I do. Some of them have insisted on new phones, only to be faced with the same problem. Even when the new phones are setup as new phones (no restore).

That to me 100% cements that this is a software glitch affecting a relatively small percentage of phones out there, even some of the replacements.

EDIT: Just to add I have also downloaded GeekBench and performed the battery test that it has. My results were pretty much bang on what you would expect/what other iPhone 6 users were getting. So that further confirms that there is nothing wrong with the hardware itself and that the issue is just something running in the background when the phone is supposed to be on standby and draining the battery quicker than normal.

Quite likely, but it isn't something inherent in 8.3 on its own basically as many others running 8.3 don't have that issue.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Quite likely, but it isn't something inherent in 8.3 on its own basically as many others running 8.3 don't have that issue.

The thing to remember is that not all phones are created equal! Everything I have tried points towards something within iOS draining the battery.

It can't be anything else if the hardware is good and it still does it when the only thing the phone has on it is iOS.

As I said, it could well be just a bit of code that doesn't play nice with certain batches of phones due to slight variances in components used. We have experienced it in our systems where I work. As much as we (and Apple) try to make every product 100% identical, in the real world it's not possible, and minor differences between 2 identical products can cause odd issues like this from time to time.

Seen it before in my own line of work (not specifically to do with batteries, but this scenario where there are only issues on 1-2% of kit), and in the end, it's been a software fix.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

I have no idea what to say, I've just been following this thread and there pretty much is nothing else you could really do to fix your issue it looks like... My iPhone 6 used to have standby drain issues but software updates have greatly helped it. I went from draining 12% in like 45 mins to an hour without any use to being able to go all night connected to bad LTE (about -105 to -115) and not even drop a percent over night, maybe 1 or 2 as long as I'm at 100%. For some reason, if I'm further into the cycle, like 50%, I will end the night at like 42%, so standby seems to get worse as you go. However, for me, actual use time is pretty bad. I'm lucky to get 6.5-7 hours most of the time while most users here get 9-10 hours.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
I have no idea what to say, I've just been following this thread and there pretty much is nothing else you could really do to fix your issue it looks like... My iPhone 6 used to have standby drain issues but software updates have greatly helped it. I went from draining 12% in like 45 mins to an hour without any use to being able to go all night connected to bad LTE (about -105 to -115) and not even drop a percent over night, maybe 1 or 2 as long as I'm at 100%. For some reason, if I'm further into the cycle, like 50%, I will end the night at like 42%, so standby seems to get worse as you go. However, for me, actual use time is pretty bad. I'm lucky to get 6.5-7 hours most of the time while most users here get 9-10 hours.

That's interesting that you say yours used to drain 12% in 45mins to 1 hour doing nothing, that really is terrible!!

Like I say, mine drained 40% in 8 hours, so 5% per hour. Glad to hear yours was fixed with software updates. Really hope the next update sorts out my issue as well.

This is just annoying having to keep it charged. When I get my Apple Watch the drain will be even worse with Bluetooth connected 24/7 instead of just in the car for hands free.

Ah well, the joys of tech! Makes parts of your life easier while making other parts a nightmare...

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
That's interesting that you say yours used to drain 12% in 45mins to 1 hour doing nothing, that really is terrible!!

Like I say, mine drained 40% in 8 hours, so 5% per hour. Glad to hear yours was fixed with software updates. Really hope the next update sorts out my issue as well.

This is just annoying having to keep it charged. When I get my Apple Watch the drain will be even worse with Bluetooth connected 24/7 instead of just in the car for hands free.

Ah well, the joys of tech! Makes parts of your life easier while making other parts a nightmare...

Yeah that is pretty accurate, unfortunately. If they just jammed an enormous battery into their devices somehow and it achieved like 12 hours of use without even trying, that would relieve a lot of my stress. From there, I just would want a smooth, bug-free OS and then it would literally be perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.