Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So are you?

• Yes I am! Finally!

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Yep but I already was! 8.3 continues to carry the torch

Votes: 92 36.2%
  • Nope, grrrrr! When???!!

Votes: 97 38.2%

• Total voters

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I just wish that they would actually fix relevant bugs in iOS. Like all the UI problems (STUTTER), the copy and paste bugs, etc, etc. Things are all sorta clunky and bad on everything, especially iPad. It's been almost 2 years with this design and they still can't get it to perform up to speed!! Oh, and the screen of the iPad actually needs to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I don't understand why Apple decided to only support a maximum of 5 Photos when you try to e-mail some Photos to someone directly via the Photos app (which finally is possible since iOS8).

Luckely there are apps such as Gmail which do support more then 5 photos per e-mail via the share function.

Aside from the Photos app i also think that they way to attach photos via the Mail app still only support photos one by one and you cannot attach a link to a file from e.g. Dropbox. This is possible via the Mailbox app. You can however add more then 5 photos via the Mail app ;)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't understand why Apple decided to only support a maximum of 5 Photos when you try to e-mail some Photos to someone directly via the Photos app (which finally is possible since iOS8).

Luckely there are apps such as Gmail and Mailbox which do support more then 5 photos per e-mail via the share function.

Aside from the Photos app i also think that they way to attach photos via the Mail app still only support photos one by one and you cannot attach a link to a file from e.g. Dropbox. This is possible via the Mailbox app.
I believe you can copy photos from the Photo app and paste them into an email in the Mail app (still one by one basically) and be able to get more than 5 photos that way.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I believe you can copy photos from the Photo app and paste them into an email in the Mail app (still one by one basically) and be able to get more than 5 photos that way.

As you also said in the other topic you are right.
For some reason you can add (although one by one) more then 5 photos via the Mail app but you can't via the Photos app if you want to share it with Mail :confused:

It only works in the Photos app with e.g. the Gmail app if you want to share more then 5 photos.

I just updated my previous post.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Could (should) be faster than it is, seeing as 7.1.2 is still smoother. But Apple are taking steps in the right direction.

----------

I just wish that they would actually fix relevant bugs in iOS. Like all the UI problems (STUTTER), the copy and paste bugs, etc, etc. Things are all sorta clunky and bad on everything, especially iPad. It's been almost 2 years with this design and they still can't get it to perform up to speed!! Oh, and the screen of the iPad actually needs to be used.

Indeed. 8.3 is still stuttering in some places and auto-scrolling a long list will even make the newest devices drop frames, which I can't replicate on a 5 I have running 7.1.2. It's genuinely smoother.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Not with all the reloading issues, no.
I opened up the Ebay app to search for a 'natural' toothpaste without fluoride. I found some but wanted to check the ingredients as they weren't listed on Ebay, so I opened up *one* Safari browser tab and Googled the ingredients. Two minutes later I returned to the Ebay app and it reloaded, taking me to the homepage. I had to start my search again! How tedious is that??

This is 2015 and I'm using a £700 64GB iPhone 6+. My 2012 iPhone 5 allowed me to do this quite basic task without any issues whatsoever. It's things like this that really make me hate my phone. Sure 8.3 is way more stable than any other iteration of iOS8 and kudos to Apple for that, but be it the hardware or software, this 6+ is just pants as a smartphone. I can't do simple operations with it and when a two generations older iPhone allowed me to do such things with no problem whatsoever, this is totally unacceptable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not with all the reloading issues, no.
I opened up the Ebay app to search for a 'natural' toothpaste without fluoride. I found some but wanted to check the ingredients as they weren't listed on Ebay, so I opened up *one* Safari browser tab and Googled the ingredients. Two minutes later I returned to the Ebay app and it reloaded, taking me to the homepage. I had to start my search again! How tedious is that??

This is 2015 and I'm using a £700 64GB iPhone 6+. My 2012 iPhone 5 allowed me to do this quite basic task without any issues whatsoever. It's things like this that really make me hate my phone. Sure 8.3 is way more stable than any other iteration of iOS8 and kudos to Apple for that, but be it the hardware or software, this 6+ is just pants as a smartphone. I can't do simple operations with it and when a two generations older iPhone allowed me to do such things with no problem whatsoever, this is totally unacceptable.

Could this be how eBay is programmed somehow? Perhaps if you just left to the home screen or just switched to Messages or something and went back it might have done the same thing?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Could this be how eBay is programmed somehow? Perhaps if you just left to the home screen or just switched to Messages or something and went back it might have done the same thing?

I use Ebay fairly often and it never used to do this. Other apps reload too, like Amazon and even the stock Notes app. There is a system-wide reloading issue which happens much more readily than it ever used to prior to obtaining my 6+. Whether it's the phone itself and a lack of RAM (likely), or iOS8 I don't know.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
8.3 runs as good for me as any previous iOS release. People think iOS 6 was heaven sent. It wasn't. My iPhone 5 ran great on iOS 6, but it wasn't as fast as my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.3

I think people confuse Apple's planned obsolescence with iOS slowdowns. An iPhone 3GS running iOS 6 saw a large drop in performance compared to the software it was released with. Does that mean iOS 6 wasn't fast? No. Don't get me started on the iPhone 3G's slowdown....

It's Apple's method of forcing you to upgrade to a newer device. I've used an iPad Air 2 on iOS 8 and it runs faster than any previous iPad regardless of software. My Air runs as fast as it ever did on iOS 7, which isn't perfect. I am very hesitant on upgrading my Air to iOS 9 because I know Apple's history slowing down two year old + devices.

To wrap this up, iOS 8 started as a turd, but it's completely manageable now. It's as perfect as any iOS has ever been.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
8.3 runs as good for me as any previous iOS release. People think iOS 6 was heaven sent. It wasn't. My iPhone 5 ran great on iOS 6, but it wasn't as fast as my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.3

I think people confuse Apple's planned obsolescence with iOS slowdowns. An iPhone 3GS running iOS 6 saw a large drop in performance compared to the software it was released with. Does that mean iOS 6 wasn't fast? No. Don't get me started on the iPhone 3G's slowdown....

It's Apple's method of forcing you to upgrade to a newer device. I've used an iPad Air 2 on iOS 8 and it runs faster than any previous iPad regardless of software. My Air runs as fast as it ever did on iOS 7, which isn't perfect. I am very hesitant on upgrading my Air to iOS 9 because I know Apple's history slowing down two year old + devices.

To wrap this up, iOS 8 started as a turd, but it's completely manageable now. It's as perfect as any iOS has ever been.

The iPhone 5 running iOS6 was the fastest and smoothest iPhone to date (ever) in my opinion/experience.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
The touch feeling on iOS 8 is not as confidence inspiring as on previous iOSes.

The entire OS feels different. Feels clumsy and non-magical. I can't pinpoint but something feels off. I mentioned somewhere that this is due to Apple's new touch algorithm.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I just hope that Apple does a Snow Leopard type thing with iOS 9. I don't need new features. I just want it to be fast like it was on iOS 6. No studdering, no sarfari "failing to load" a page constantly. I don't think I ever saw that in iOS 6. Now half the websites I visit have to reload and hang and it's not like the iPhone 6+ is less powerful than the 5.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The touch feeling on iOS 8 is not as confidence inspiring as on previous iOSes.

The entire OS feels different. Feels clumsy and non-magical. I can't pinpoint but something feels off. I mentioned somewhere that this is due to Apple's new touch algorithm.

The bad performance over all and the general sluggishness and quirkiness doesn't help either. Especially on iPad.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope. Especially for Safari. It's also a rather moot point compared to the rest of my post.

I'd agree that iOS 6 on an iPhone 5 was smoother and faster than iOS 8 is on iPhone 6. Perhaps people's experience can vary, but I would argue that more people would still agree.

As for the whole "planned obsolescence", it's an idea for sure, but it doesn't mean it's reality.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
iOS 8 runs pretty sluggishly on my iPad mini 2, and that really shouldn't be the case since it's literally the same iPad mini they're selling now. 8.3 is a little better, but it's not as fast as iOS 6 on my iPad 2 I had for years.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
I don't mind it's rather buggy performance a few times a week. Considering the attention paid to the Watch, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was in over their heads a bit. They can't always produce high quality. It's massive volume of units shipped is bound to take its toll as they feverishly race to make their internal deadlines.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
At least with the latest update my iPad 2 now only seems middle-aged as opposed to an O.A.P. Safari is generally improved, not perfect but improved.

However, I have been using a Sony Z2 10.1 Tablet for the last couple of days and oh my, how I wish my iPad worked like one of those. Perhaps iOS will be as good as Android in the future. One can but hope. :D

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Idk, iPad 2 and 5s satisfied customer. Finally got a release better than 7.1.2: which has it all over iOS 6.

iOS 7.1.2 didn't perform nearly as well as iOS 6. iOS 8.3 sure as HELL does NOT run as well as iOS 7.1.2. Even on my mini 2 iOS 7.1.2 had quirks and stutters, just not nearly as bad as iOS 8-8.3. Control/Notification center stuttered on lock screen, over folders, and over keyboard. Rotating keyboard stuttered. Siri animation stuttered. App Store was and still is *covered* in stutter. Spotlight had that infamous "jump" in iOS 7, and I think they just hid that in iOS 8 by making the apps stop at the point where the keyboard comes up, which caused that "jump". Turning spotlight stuttered, turning slide to power off stuttered... 7.1.2 was still FAR from perfect. iOS 8 just wrecked everything they had accomplished.

Many stutters that are on iPad 4 - iPad Air and iPad mini 2 - iPad mini 3 are absent on the iPad 2 and 3 because of the lack of translucency. Take even an iPad 3 (that dreaded underpowered device :rolleyes:) and use control/notification center on lock screen, over a keyboard, over a folder. All are perfectly smooth. Not the case on an iPad Air or mini 2/3. Pretty sad.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS 7.1.2 didn't perform nearly as well as iOS 6. iOS 8.3 sure as HELL does NOT run as well as iOS 7.1.2. Even on my mini 2 iOS 7.1.2 had quirks and stutters, just not nearly as bad as iOS 8-8.3. Control/Notification center stuttered on lock screen, over folders, and over keyboard. Rotating keyboard stuttered. Siri animation stuttered. App Store was and still is *covered* in stutter. Spotlight had that infamous "jump" in iOS 7, and I think they just hid that in iOS 8 by making the apps stop at the point where the keyboard comes up, which caused that "jump". Turning spotlight stuttered, turning slide to power off stuttered... 7.1.2 was still FAR from perfect. iOS 8 just wrecked everything they had accomplished.

Many stutters that are on iPad 4 - iPad Air and iPad mini 2 - iPad mini 3 are absent on the iPad 2 and 3 because of the lack of translucency. Take even an iPad 3 (that dreaded underpowered device :rolleyes:) and use control/notification center on lock screen, over a keyboard, over a folder. All are perfectly smooth. Not the case on an iPad Air or mini 2/3. Pretty sad.

I understand different devices, different setups, different experiences, which is why I was offering up the models I was using with the way I have IOS options set up.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I understand different devices, different setups, different experiences, which is why I was offering up the models I was using with the way I have IOS options set up.

I don't think it's my setup. This is a fresh build, did a full DFU restore. I only logged into my iCloud stuff and iMessage, etc etc, and put 11 apps on my iPad. YouTube, clash of clans, Slayin, Crossy Road, Geometry Dash, BTD Battles (haven't used it yet), Speedtest, iMonitor, Calculator Pro, DataFlow, and Widget Calendar.

Again, I have noticed just about all of the issues I mentioned previously on all A7 iPads I have used. It's unoptimized, bloated, buggy software on rather weak hardware. Bad combo. iPad Air 2 has no issues because it's unoptimized, bloated, buggy software on extremely powerful hardware. A7 - A8X is an enormous jump in power.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't think it's my setup. This is a fresh build, did a full DFU restore. I only logged into my iCloud stuff and iMessage, etc etc, and put 11 apps on my iPad. YouTube, clash of clans, Slayin, Crossy Road, Geometry Dash, BTD Battles (haven't used it yet), Speedtest, iMonitor, Calculator Pro, DataFlow, and Widget Calendar.

Again, I have noticed just about all of the issues I mentioned previously on all A7 iPads I have used. It's unoptimized, bloated, buggy software on rather weak hardware. Bad combo. iPad Air 2 has no issues because it's unoptimized, bloated, buggy software on extremely powerful hardware. A7 - A8X is an enormous jump in power.

But I have no real issues on my iPad 2 either. I could point to a little lag here and there usually on the first swipe of the home screen, but on the whole it's better than 7.1.2.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Actually the redesign of the GUI was already in progress before Forstall was fired...it was happening no matter what. It just may have been not as drastic but it was still going to happen.

I don't care about when the disaster started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.