Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Either it is the 16 PM/Ultra or maybe moved for the iPhone 17, there are heavy rumors about it.

Are you excited for this or not? Because I see many saying it is too big now, and we don't need it. But at the same time, some wants a new form factor or even say that it finally caught up to the Ultra.

What are your thoughts? And would you get one or just get a smaller model?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Honestly I find the 6.7 iPhones to be quite big already. If the phone is taller, it might be even harder to reach certain areas (and especially the dynamic island). And I'm not excited by this form factor either, I don't think the extra space will make much of a difference. I don't know if I would go to a smaller form factor that said, so I'll see how it feels once it's released

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No matter how they increase the size of the phone, Apple CANNOT turn it into an iPad without involving folding, period. Yes, people want larger phone, but past certain threshold, they might as well be better served with an iPad instead of a 9” iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I see many saying it is too big now, and we don't need it. But at the same time, some wants a new form factor or even say that it finally caught up to the Ultra.
I don't like letting need stand in the way of getting what I want. And often, what I want is more than what I need. So in getting what I want I also get what I need.

Screw need.

And yes, I'd buy the bigger phone. Apple has yet to make a size large enough for me.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The 6.1 is barely tolerable for me.

Bring back the 5.4 Mini.

And for crap’s sake shrink the bloody camera apparatus.

They could also bring back the 5.8” screens. They might actually do it once they have mastered the new rumoured stacked battery tech, but for now 6.1” will be fine.

Reactions: Populus and BigDO

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Either it is the 16 PM/Ultra or maybe moved for the iPhone 17, there are heavy rumors about it.

Are you excited for this or not? Because I see many saying it is too big now, and we don't need it. But at the same time, some wants a new form factor or even say that it finally caught up to the Ultra.

What are your thoughts? And would you get one or just get a smaller model?
So long as it fits my hand and does not exceed $1799 then I'd be interested.

GuyDouche

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2023
I for one would welcome a size increase, however only is the phone would be a bit thinner and lighter, sporting a better battery, thinner bezel and the ability to use the springboard in landscape mode, like the iPhone 6s+.
One could only dream…

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
To me, the more exciting developments are taking the regular pro to a slightly larger size, and improvements to the regular lines, which will retain their current sizes. Moving to 6.9” on the biggest phones will just make it easier to finally go for one of the lower priced models, so I am indeed looking forward to that

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
As someone who uses a phone as their primary device these days (and who is trying, currently in vain, to reduce time spent on it), I reckon part of me could justify a larger screen. Folding is a bit of a non-starter for me, though, since you end up with a thicker device, and I’d rather have a thinline device (makes better use of my pockets). Honestly, a folding tablet makes more sense to me than a folding phone.

lenningj

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2023
Bad enough with 6.1" of phone in my jeans/pants bulging in my pocket to the horror of the public eye. 6.9" might be unwieldy, especially with a case on, that will bump it to 7"+. Interested to see the market data for owners, hand size, if really people are able to comfortably use phones beyond 6.7" with a single hand. or the current userbase of 6.7" iPhone users experiences

Reactions: Timpetus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.