Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
It could go either way for me.

I’m a Pro Max user and I’m already annoyed at the inefficient use of space on the Home Screen. The search button at the bottom takes up what, with just a tiny bit of shuffling things vertically, could be a whole extra row of icons. That matters to me now that I use a fair amount of Home Screen space for a couple of widgets; I’d like space left over for a decent number of icons for my most used apps which don’t all fit on the dock.

So, if Apple still refuses to make use of the added Home Screen space even on a 6.9” device I’ll be even more annoyed. If that extra 0.2” is enough to make Apple finally accept that a bigger home screen can fit more stuff I’ll be happy.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
The search button at the bottom takes up what, with just a tiny bit of shuffling things vertically, could be a whole extra row of icons. That matters to me now that I use a fair amount of Home Screen space for a couple of widgets; I’d like space left over for a decent number of icons for my most used apps which don’t all fit on the dock.
You do realise that you can remove that in the settings, right? It's completely useless as it's just the same as pulling the screen down to reach the search function.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I used to think just like you guys, but after using my 12 Mini for 3 years, I've changed my perspective. I use my phone more these days, and having to charge my 12 Mini 2-3 times a day becomes annoying. Also, the limited screen estate is simply not doing it for me anymore, so I have a 15 Plus coming my way and I'm very excited about the upgrade. Most of all I'm excited about the vastly improved battery life, but also the big screen, because I'm not getting any younger and my eyesight is not what it used to be - my eyes get tired very quickly when reading for a longer period of time on the Mini. The size is no longer more important to me, personally, than battery life and more screen estate.

I guess it depends what you do with your phone.

My 12 mini battery almost always lasts me the whole day.

I’m also aging and have pretty crap eyesight but so long as I look through the “reading” portion of my progressive lenses I’ve got no issues there

What I’m unwilling to give up is that it fits in my pocket and can use it with one hand

I tried an 11 (i think) before I went from the old small se to the 12 mini and I returned it after a day because it seemed so ridiculously large

Last edited:
Reactions: xpxp2002

Mikep976

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
Ya gotta figure a foldable has to be on the way right? I mean, cmon. We’re on 5th + gen on some devices, kinks are being worked out, and they’re getting pocketable. Soon?

Reactions: bobcomer

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Definitely, I read about 100 books a year on my iPPM. More words on the page the better.

Same here. I actually would love a larger iPhone that has a slightly wider screen for that reason.

It could go either way for me.

I’m a Pro Max user and I’m already annoyed at the inefficient use of space on the Home Screen. The search button at the bottom takes up what, with just a tiny bit of shuffling things vertically, could be a whole extra row of icons. That matters to me now that I use a fair amount of Home Screen space for a couple of widgets; I’d like space left over for a decent number of icons for my most used apps which don’t all fit on the dock.

So, if Apple still refuses to make use of the added Home Screen space even on a 6.9” device I’ll be even more annoyed. If that extra 0.2” is enough to make Apple finally accept that a bigger home screen can fit more stuff I’ll be happy.

Totally agree with you. I wish both iOS and iPadOS would allow more icons on the Home Screen.

Reactions: compwiz1202

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
You do realise that you can remove that in the settings, right? It's completely useless as it's just the same as pulling the screen down to reach the search function.

I didn’t so thanks for that but I just tried it but it actually makes things even worse for me because it makes it even more obvious how much space is wasted at the bottom of the Pro Max home screen.

It’s not the presence of that search button that I object to, although as you mention it’s the same as pulling down from the top of the screen so pretty redundant. My issue is how much space it takes up that otherwise could be used for another row of icons. Yes, there would need to be a bit of rearranging of the vertical spacing elsewhere on the screen but the height of that row as it is now is only a few pixels short of being tall enough to host another row of icons. And for people who really did want a way to get to search from the bottom of the screen Apple could just add a search icon that could be placed on the newly created 7th row of icons and still leave 3 spare slots to quickly get to other frequently used apps.

Apple seems to be unwilling to make use of the extra Home Screen space on bigger screen devices with the 12.9” iPad being the most extreme example of this.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I didn’t so thanks for that but I just tried it but it actually makes things even worse for me because it makes it even more obvious how much space is wasted at the bottom of the Pro Max home screen.

It’s not the presence of that search button that I object to, although as you mention it’s the same as pulling down from the top of the screen so pretty redundant. My issue is how much space it takes up that otherwise could be used for another row of icons. Yes, there would need to be a bit of rearranging of the vertical spacing elsewhere on the screen but the height of that row as it is now is only a few pixels short of being tall enough to host another row of icons. And for people who really did want a way to get to search from the bottom of the screen Apple could just add a search icon that could be placed on the newly created 7th row of icons and still leave 3 spare slots to quickly get to other frequently used apps.

Apple seems to be unwilling to make use of the extra Home Screen space on bigger screen devices with the 12.9” iPad being the most extreme example of this.
Agreed. This is why i can’t pull the trigger on the Max phones, Apple has never really taken full advantage of the extra space. That device should be a pocketable iPad with robust portrait and landscape support across the system.

The 13 inch iPad also seemed like a waste before Stage Manager was added to take advantage of the larger display.

Reactions: BigDO

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
My issue is how much space it takes up that otherwise could be used for another row of icons.

Fair point! Agreed.

Lexio

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Poland, Kraków
Would be nice to have some software solutions made specifically for the bigger screen. Split screen would be nice, I think almost 7" is big enough to launch two apps in the same time - one from the top and one from the bottom. RAM we also have more then enough I think.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Yes and No. I like large screens and have said many times I'd be happy with a ~7" screen. This seems like it will just be an increase in height and change in aspect ratio. I don't think it's going to look or feel much different.

The rumours weren't enough to stop me buying a 15 Pro Max. I'm not going to be upgrading again until at least the iPhone 17. Most likely it'll be the 18 or even 19. So really it doesn't interest me. If we get a 7.0-7.2" screen and the phone doesn't look or feel too tall then I'll likely be tempted to upgrade to it.

I'm quite happy with the 6.7" on my 15 PM right now. 6.9" doesn't seem like it's going to be a major change but just a slight revision.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I’m not looking forward to a bigger iPhone, at all. At what point do we say, enough is enough? 6.5 inches was good enough, but Apple chose to push it further and having a boxy design made me feel every 6.7 inches of the recent Pro Max.

Going back to a fully rounded design might help but I doubt Apple will do that. With that said, I hope Apple doesn’t mess with the size for the 6.1 inches iPhones.

Reactions: Barbareren

LongBall14

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2023
I’m assuming this only applies to the Pro phones for next year or do the rumors point to all phones?

At this point, not really looking forward to it. I think the 6.5” size is a pretty good size. I’ll have to see how it turns out. I wonder if the 6.3” would be similar to the 6.5” overall.

Regardless, if these rumors turn out correct, the use of titanium to reduce the weight of the phone might be moot.

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I have arthritis and nerve impingement in my hands, and loss of strength. I had to buy a gadget to mount under the kitchen cabinet to open jar lids, so there‘s only so much phone I can comfortably use. If the market will support even larger phones, that’s fine……All I ask is that Apple keep making a smaller phone for people like me, that takes decent photos.

Reactions: xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.