Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Either it is the 16 PM/Ultra or maybe moved for the iPhone 17, there are heavy rumors about it.

Are you excited for this or not? Because I see many saying it is too big now, and we don't need it. But at the same time, some wants a new form factor or even say that it finally caught up to the Ultra.

What are your thoughts? And would you get one or just get a smaller model?
Asked a year ago I would have said the Pro Max was unacceptably large. Vision issues led me to buy a 15 Pro Max this year and I like it a lot, no size issues. I would want to see/hold any new size variants before forming an opinion.

Reactions: Devyn89 and kc9hzn

shiny.moon4788

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
All you need is to carry around a larger external display, run through the USB-C port, in lieu of a larger display! :)

I am not looking for a larger iPhone. The iPhoneX was perfect. I am happy with the iPhone15 Pro size and feel.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Apple should just make it 7" instead 6.9" and call it something like 'Ultra Premium Deluxe'.
Even though it may be a bit big and bulky, my aging eyes would enjoy it. 😊

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Really looking forward to 6.9-inch because it should be great. It's reminiscent of the iPhone 5 where the device is simply getting taller, so it won't affect handling much.

This year, there is high demand for 15 Pro Max and Plus and relatively low demand for 15/Pro. You can see consumers are leaning more towards large displays.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
No, and I’m gonna be very bleak if the smallest Pro becomes 6.3” .
Agreed. I like the Pro models, but I miss when the best iPhone was available in a reasonable size, like the iPhone X.

I was looking forward to waiting for the iPhone 16 Pro for the 5x optical zoom, but after hearing that it might be 6.3", I'm out.

I finally came to terms with giving up my 13 mini for the 15 Pro, which was only palatable because it's lighter and slightly smaller than the 13 Pro. Having both, the difference is noticeably significant. 6.3" is just way too large for the smallest flagship phone, so I ended up deciding to upgrade this year and have no intention of getting a behemoth 6.3" phone next year, no matter what it can do.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Note that what Apple seems to be doing is to revert the width decrease achieved by making the bezels thinner, so that the iPhone Pro (Max) will become as wide as the 14 again, and otherwise only increase the height, which will move the bottom edge of the pill to where the bottom edge of the notch used to be (or maybe slightly above).

This is the difference in the outer dimensions for the Pro Max (15 blue, 16 green):

1696962041348.png

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
all in the name of camera upgrades that most people will never use

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
This is going to be interesting. I love my 15 PM and I’d have no qualms keeping it for a while but if this new 6.9” iPhone is for real it’s something to keep an eye on. I kinda feel the Pro Max screen size is already big enough but if the new one is jammed packed with new tech and an iOS that takes advantage of the screen I’d be all about it.

Let’s just see what happens.

yustas

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Either it is the 16 PM/Ultra or maybe moved for the iPhone 17, there are heavy rumors about it.

Are you excited for this or not? Because I see many saying it is too big now, and we don't need it. But at the same time, some wants a new form factor or even say that it finally caught up to the Ultra.

What are your thoughts? And would you get one or just get a smaller model?
Yes, very excited, it feels like it's two years late, but better later than never.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
I just hope they will add a new gesture to evoke reachability. The current one sucks and is too hard to do consistently.

Double tapping at the bottom home-bar or something similar would be much easier to do.

Reactions: xpxp2002

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
I am happy that the 15 Pro has less width than the iPhone X even though the screen is larger and can easily be used with one hand. The small bezels and rounded edges really make a difference!

Reactions: snipr125

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I’d definitely buy it. I love my pro max but wouldn’t mind if it was bigger. Bring it on and I’ll buy it haha

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for your input guys. Seems split. lol. Next year will be interesting!!!

11 months to go!!!

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Yes. I’m specifically waiting for the 16 Pro Max in anticipation for that size increase. I just want the dynamic island to not take away space I currently enjoy on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I’m also hoping the size increase is accompanied by another significant jump in battery size. I don’t like what I’m hearing regarding battery life of newer models (in real world use) compared to the 13 PM.

I think the increase is going to be less dramatic than many here are imagining. Barely any width change. Only height. And the 6.9 number was reached by rounding up.

Tinkerbellaa22

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2019
If the rumours are true I'm already excited for the 16 pro in 6.3 with optical zoom but no way would I get the 6.9 - it's way too big, I don't need THAT much screen space.

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
Would have to see how big the phones are actually gonna get. I remember being worried about going from a 6 to a X but the size difference wasn’t insane where the phone became unwieldy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.