Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
The "Special Carrier Offer" from Apple's website says they will give up to $800 in bill credits with a trade in of an iPhone 8 or newer... I'm not just seeing things here, right? Is this common practice to get such high trade in value at launch dates?

Reactions: compwiz1202

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
The "Special Carrier Offer" from Apple's website says they will give up to $800 in bill credits with a trade in of an iPhone 8 or newer... I'm not just seeing things here, right? Is this common practice to get such high trade in value at launch dates?

Probably $800 if you trade in an 11 Pro Max and cascades downward from there.

EDIT: Anyone reading this, the above-stricken statement is not true.

It’s $800 in bill credits for any of the phones listed here:
DDC84054-7EEF-4730-B8A1-790009285FDF.jpeg

Last edited:

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I'm trying to see how this works also. The ATT web page is very unclear. Like - I have an iphone x. What would I get? seems vague.

Reactions: Photopooba

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
They say the trade-in is $350 for devices 6s through 7. Would the first-gen SE qualify as a 6s-7 device?

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Nope i just saw this as well, its 800 for iPhone 8 or newer which is insane. I was going to resell my iPhone X for 300-400, so AT&T is throwing in 500 for "free" to either stay with them or move to them.

Thats one hell of a deal especially for iPhone 8 owners. This reminds me of the old days where carriers would subsidize costs of iPhones every two years.

There is almost zero reason for anyone with an 11 or below not to upgrade, since 800 credit is worth more than what the phones are currently worth...wonder if this will cause secondary markets for these phones to go way up in value.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Nope i just saw this as well, its 800 for iPhone 8 or newer which is insane. I was going to resell my iPhone X for 300-400, so AT&T is throwing in 500 for "free" to either stay with them or move to them.

Thats one hell of a deal especially for iPhone 8 owners. This reminds me of the old days where carriers would subsidize costs of iPhones every two years.
So if you're shopping for a new phone but for example you're an Android user so not eligible for the trade-in, you can buy an iPhone SE for $400 and then trade it in for a $800 discount on the 12 series?

Reactions: mguzzi

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
would this work with a $5 Next Up, or would you lose all the credits if you trade in before 30 months? I’d love to get this deal but don’t want to be force locked into 30 months of ownership

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It's a very good deal, and it's available to existing customers as well as new users, which is great (AT&T user here). But, a couple of caveats: 1) it's over 30 months, not 24 (Verizon's deals are over 24 months). So the per-month isn't as high as it seems. 2) it's only available on certain AT&T plans. I haven't called to find out which ones yet… but I'm sure it's going to be unlimited, and maybe only certain unlimited plans. I'm currently on an older family share plan with plenty of data and would have to go to a more expensive unlimited plan to get this.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
'up too $800' means if you have an 11 Pro Max 512GB new in box, you will get $800 credits and its a variable sliding scale.

I wouldn't get ones hopes up.

This phone is going to sell like hotcakes, they dont need to take it on the chin like that even in the interest of retaining existing and gaining new customers.

edit - im very wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Precursor

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I am an AT&T user and usually just buy my phones outright. But I am interested in hearing about this deal. I have an 11 Pro Max that is still in very good condition. If I could just walk in and trade it in for the 12 Pro max and get 700- 800 that would be SWEET.

its really not a bad option for people who have been rocking the 11 PM for a full year for convenience. If you got the base model.

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
It's a very good deal, and it's available to existing customers as well as new users, which is great (AT&T user here). But, a couple of caveats: 1) it's over 30 months, not 24 (Verizon's deals are over 24 months). So the per-month isn't as high as it seems. 2) it's only available on certain AT&T plans. I haven't called to find out which ones yet… but I'm sure it's going to be unlimited, and maybe only certain unlimited plans. I'm currently on an older family share plan with plenty of data and would have to go to a more expensive unlimited plan to get this.

Yeah, I think you're 100% correct here... I am in the same situation, but they are now offering a teacher discount (25%?) that we could use and probably come out even from what we are now paying. I just need to look into it a little more.

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
would this work with a $5 Next Up, or would you lose all the credits if you trade in before 30 months? I’d love to get this deal but don’t want to be force locked into 30 months of ownership
I'm curious about this too. I usually do the 24 month or "Next Up" and this offer seems to only apply to the 30 month option.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
So if you're shopping for a new phone but for example you're an Android user so not eligible for the trade-in, you can buy an iPhone SE for $400 and then trade it in for a $800 discount on the 12 series?

Not sure if an SE counts, it says iPhone 8 or newer. I mean you could probably find a banged up working iPhone 8 for 150 on eBay lol.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I am confused on this as well since I have historically used the Next installment agreement and just trade in after the 12 months. Does the credit just apply against the remaining payoff amount?

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
I read the fine print, and you are correct. You have to switch to one of their unlimited plans, which I just did last month. Hope I didn’t jump the gun and have them tell me I have to add another unlimited plan.

Reactions: batristain

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I read the fine print, and you are correct. You have to switch to one of their unlimited plans, which I just did last month. Hope I didn’t jump the gun and have them tell me I have to add another unlimited plan.
I think it applies to existing customers, no new line required. if you're on an unlimited plan, you should be good to go.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY

You should check out the new plans...I was on the 9GB plan and paid bare minimum 50 bucks a month and was fine with that data limit. I was paying 15 a month for HBO Max with apple, the new unlimited is 75 with discounts, includes HBO Max so im paying 10 bucks extra for unlimited data which was worth it too me. Plus HD streaming etc which i did not have before.

That with this 800 bucks is way worth it.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
I am confused on this as well since I have historically used the Next installment agreement and just trade in after the 12 months. Does the credit just apply against the remaining payoff amount?
Pretty sure that it would have to be paid off. That’s how it’s always been AFAIK. Otherwise, you just trade that one in if you have made the required number of payments, or their equivalent, and the remaining balance is ignored. You would not get a trade-in credit.

Reactions: anticipate

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia

There is almost zero reason for anyone with an 11 or below not to upgrade, since 800 credit is worth more than what the phones are currently worth...wonder if this will cause secondary markets for these phones to go way up in value.

I miss the days when every two years users could get the newest iphones at a discount (they just had to stay with their cell provider for another two years). The days when the iPhone 4/5 were only like 200-300 dollars lol. They should have just keep that plan instead of the stuff we have now.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I miss the days when every two years users could get the newest iphones at a discount (they just had to stay with their cell provider for another two years). The days when the iPhone 4/5 were only like 200-300 dollars lol. They should have just keep that plan instead of the stuff we have now.

You and me both, lol. The good ole days where Black Friday deals would be $99 for the iPhone 6.

Reactions: mguzzi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.