Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
It's a very good deal, and it's available to existing customers as well as new users, which is great (AT&T user here). But, a couple of caveats: 1) it's over 30 months, not 24 (Verizon's deals are over 24 months). So the per-month isn't as high as it seems. 2) it's only available on certain AT&T plans. I haven't called to find out which ones yet… but I'm sure it's going to be unlimited, and maybe only certain unlimited plans. I'm currently on an older family share plan with plenty of data and would have to go to a more expensive unlimited plan to get this.

I wonder if we can trade in in store? I have seen some nightmares about the Mail in trade ins on reddit.

Reactions: Lsmachado

LasersGoPewPew

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2014
PDX
Not sure if an SE counts, it says iPhone 8 or newer. I mean you could probably find a banged up working iPhone 8 for 150 on eBay lol.
I actually did this with T-Mobile lol. Bought a cheap iPhone 8 and traded it for a free iPhone 11 Pro.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
From the Apple website - Looks like it requires either an upgraded plan or a new line. Not sure what that means for folks already on the Unlimited plans....

1. AT&T Special Trade-In Offer: Monthly Price reflects net monthly payment, after application of AT&T trade-in credit up to $800 applied over 30 months after trade-in of eligible smartphone with minimum $95 trade-in value. Requires upgrade of an existing line (or activation of a new line in stores) and purchase of a new iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max on qualifying 30 month 0% APR installment plan, subject to carrier credit qualification.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Pretty sure that it would have to be paid off. That’s how it’s always been AFAIK. Otherwise, you just trade that one in if you have made the required number of payments, or their equivalent, and the remaining balance is ignored. You would not get a trade-in credit.

Nothing is straightforward anymore.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You should check out the new plans...I was on the 9GB plan and paid bare minimum 50 bucks a month and was fine with that data limit. I was paying 15 a month for HBO Max with apple, the new unlimited is 75 with discounts, includes HBO Max so im paying 10 bucks extra for unlimited data which was worth it too me. Plus HD streaming etc which i did not have before.

That with this 800 bucks is way worth it.
We have 4 people on a "Mobile Share Value" plan with 35 GB shared data, plus one smart watch and one tablet, and we pay $176 before taxes each month. I looked at some unlimited plans today, and I don't think we can beat that. If we had HBO Max already it would probably be close, but we don't. (Plus, I only have an iPhone 7 to trade in, which is $350 instead of $800 for an 8, so there's that.)

Reactions: rui no onna

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
From the Apple website - Looks like it requires either an upgraded plan or a new line. Not sure what that means for folks already on the Unlimited plans....

1. AT&T Special Trade-In Offer: Monthly Price reflects net monthly payment, after application of AT&T trade-in credit up to $800 applied over 30 months after trade-in of eligible smartphone with minimum $95 trade-in value. Requires upgrade of an existing line (or activation of a new line in stores) and purchase of a new iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max on qualifying 30 month 0% APR installment plan, subject to carrier credit qualification.

You should be fine, as long as you are eligible for an upgrade..

Reactions: VineRider

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013

It seems to me if you were one currently on a Next plan looking to continue that plan, preordering through ATT might be the only option.

Reactions: VineRider

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
My wife's iphone 7 had issues so got her an SE this week heh. Should have waited for this credit lol

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
One major drawback - the credit is structured as whatever the trade in value is, divided by 30, and distributed every month as a credit. That means that if you want to pay the phone off early, unlock it, and sell it, you lose whatever remaining credits you have. So this offer seems to tie you into using the phone for 30 months. I

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
One major drawback - the credit is structured as whatever the trade in value is, divided by 30, and distributed every month as a credit. That means that if you want to pay the phone off early, unlock it, and sell it, you lose whatever remaining credits you have. So this offer seems to tie you into using the phone for 30 months. I

That’s how they suck you in.

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
My understanding from AT&T and Apple is that you have 2 options.
Option 1- You make 30 monthly payments plus $5 per month for the AT&T Next Up option to trade in and upgrade your device early (50% paid off)
Option 2- You make 30 monthly payments and upgrade after your phone is paid off fully.

jp1212

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
OBX
Yup, and after 30 months, we'll be in the middle of an iPhone cycle, so you're either holding on to this one for another 6 months (3 years total) or upgrading mid-cycle, which many of us don't like doing.

It's kind of like going back to the old contract days, but without the contract. You get a good deal up front, but if you want out early, it's going to sting a bit.

IMO the thing is, people who aren't necessarily techy or have to have the device early and are otherwise are fine keeping a phone 30 months - are the people who miss the fine print to benefit from offers like this.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
It's kind of like going back to the old contract days, but without the contract. You get a good deal up front, but if you want out early, it's going to sting a bit.

IMO the thing is, people who aren't necessarily techy or have to have the device early and are otherwise are fine keeping a phone 30 months - are the people who miss the fine print to benefit from offers like this.

Yep and I like owning my phone outright too - guess this is a bust then. Will probably sell my 11 pro eventually and get the mini.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
In the past, when iPhone trade in values at Apple were good, I would

1) Go to the Apple store
2) Trade in my phone at Apple
3) Get the entire value of that trade in reflected in the price
4) Get the remaining cost financed over 24 months or whatever through AT&T

So you had a true lower payment, that could be paid off whenever you wanted

With this deal, you still finance the entire amount of the phone for 30 months, then get the $800 credit spread out over 30 months... Much worse deal

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
In the past, when iPhone trade in values at Apple were good, I would

1) Go to the Apple store
2) Trade in my phone at Apple
3) Get the entire value of that trade in reflected in the price
4) Get the remaining cost financed over 24 months or whatever through AT&T

So you had a true lower payment, that could be paid off whenever you wanted

With this deal, you still finance the entire amount of the phone for 30 months, then get the $800 credit spread out over 30 months... Much worse deal
Nope. $800 over 30 months > $370 over 24 months.

Reactions: streetskooler

zztops

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Needs to be on an unlimited data plan. You only get 700 when upgrading to pro max

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Already on the family unlimited plan. Need to wait until the promo hits the ATT web site.

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
Already on the family unlimited plan. Need to wait until the promo hits the ATT web site.

I keep checking ATT's site looking for additional information, but they haven't updated anything there yet.

I'm hoping they will also do the "BOGO" again this year. We need to add a new line for my daughter and what better way to get a discount on a second phone.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
I keep checking ATT's site looking for additional information, but they haven't updated anything there yet.

I'm hoping they will also do the "BOGO" again this year. We need to add a new line for my daughter and what better way to get a discount on a second phone.
ATT promo sounds way to aggressive compared to VZ.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I haven’t read the terms but wondering.
Are they technically asking for 30 month contract?
Will they ask you to pay the msrp price or turn in the phone.
This really only looks good if not wanting to upgrade within 30 months or change carriers.
Also, now all the iPhones will work on any carrier. So wanting customers locked in so can’t switch.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
The only catch is that it is bill credits. So in 15 months you will still owe 50% of the initial cost and they will still owe you 50% of the credits.

If you trade in a year you lose the credits. This keeps you locked into ATT for 2 years or get a penalty. A contract if you will.

But if you trade every 2 years or more and don’t plan on leaving ATT, it’s a great deal

Reactions: cwwilson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.