Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
The only catch is that it is bill credits. So in 15 months you will still owe 50% of the initial cost and they will still owe you 50% of the credits.

If you trade in a year you lose the credits. This keeps you locked into ATT for 2 years or get a penalty. A contract if you will.

But if you trade every 2 years or more and don’t plan on leaving ATT, it’s a great deal
Yes. All things being equal, they are locking you in for an extra 6 months post the typical iPhone cycle.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
I don’t see an option to get the $5 next up on the Apple order page. Am I missing something? This would only be worthwhile if I can trade it in after its half paid off and get the new one. 30 months is nuts

dmdcash

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but can you get this deal if you buy the phone on the apple website but click on the att payments option? Or do you have to buy this on the ATT website or at ATT?

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Forgive my ignorance, but can you get this deal if you buy the phone on the apple website but click on the att payments option? Or do you have to buy this on the ATT website or at ATT?
For right now it’s only available when you select the ATT payment options through the Apple site only. Should caveat that you’ll have to do your trade in through ATT, not Apple even though you’re buying through Apple. This is strange

Reactions: dmdcash

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I wonder if we can trade in in store? I have seen some nightmares about the Mail in trade ins on reddit.
AT&T quoted me in store and online one price and when my trade-in credit arrived it was half of what they quoted me. I spent multiple hours trying to get the other half but always ended up at a dead end. I finally decided my time and sanity was worth more so I gave up. My trade in was via mail with AT&T...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
AT&T quoted me in store and online one price and when my trade-in credit arrived it was half of what they quoted me. I spent multiple hours trying to get the other half but always ended up at a dead end. I finally decided my time and sanity was worth more so I gave up. My trade in was via mail with AT&T...

Wow. I imagine this is going to be a hot mess then...

thehype31

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Back when ATT had the “free“ iphone 7 with trade promo, it took me the better part of 9 months to get it straight since 5 people on my plan took advantage of it. Ended up just getting a few 650 dollar credits since the reps couldn’t figure to have all the credits applied correctly... I swore to never take advantage of another promo like that again after going 1500 rounds with them....

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I just chatted with Apple. It seems as though it’s UP TO 800. When I put my iPhone XS into the AT&T trade in calculator it gives me 225. I assume you only get 800 if you trade in an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

dmdcash

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
not according to this article.....

I just chatted with Apple. It seems as though it’s UP TO 800. When I put my iPhone XS into the AT&T trade in calculator it gives me 225. I assume you only get 800 if you trade in an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007

No, the "up to" bit referrers to the maximum you will receive in discounts based upon which phone you buy. Buy the $699 mini and you get $699. Buy the $799 12 and you get $799, buy the $1099 Pro, you get $799.

Your trade in value needs to be greater than $95.

And why would you talk to Apple, it is an AT&T deal?

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2017
This is a mess. I'm just going to buy it outright on apple with AT&T as my carrier.

streetskooler

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
ya its a special promotion so disregard what the trade calculator tells you. as long as you're trading in an iPhone 8 or newer in working order att is going to give you $800 in credit for it spread out over 30 months.

If you're someone who has an iPhone 8 or iPhone x and doesn't mind the 30 months, then this is a screaming good deal IMO.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I am confused on this as well since I have historically used the Next installment agreement and just trade in after the 12 months. Does the credit just apply against the remaining payoff amount?

No. I have a very reliable AT&T source that is on top of these things. Once you trade the phone in, the credits go away. AT&T has a good rule of thumb for this:

If you maintain possession of the old phone, you keep the credits. If you hypothetically traded in a phone at the 12 or 15 month mark, you’d lose the remainder of the credits you are owed.

In order to truly get $800 off, you’d need to keep that 12 Pro for the entire Next agreement which are all 30 months.

Believe me or don’t, but this is 100% the way it works with AT&T.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
No, the "up to" bit referrers to the maximum you will receive in discounts based upon which phone you buy. Buy the $699 mini and you get $699. Buy the $799 12 and you get $799, buy the $1099 Pro, you get $799.

Your trade in value needs to be greater than $95.

And why would you talk to Apple, it is an AT&T deal?
There is a button to chat with an Apple rep directly on the promo page, lol.

mosesa

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
I hate AT&T. They are crooks. I only use them because I get a discount through my company. They are liars, you cant ever get things taken care of, you spend all day on the phone and never get anywhere with them. horrible customer service.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
After review, seems to be a great deal. I’m moving from an iPhone X. Even if I upgrade my phone after 24 months I’ll still get $640 in credit versus the 200 something that Apple offers me.

I don’t understand why people are so upset at AT&T over this. They’re providing a good service in exchange for a commitment to stay with them as a carrier. Why would they give you $800 to not use their service?

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
ATT offered a similar deal for the Note 20 that my husband got when it came out but the credits were $1000.
You only had to trade in a phone worth $70 (iPhone deal is $95). We traded in an iPhone 7 and the credits started the next bill. The terms are 30 months so I had to get the Next Up. You lose the credits if you upgrade the phone tho.

Its a great deal if you have an extra phone lying around or don’t owe a lot/ have paid off your current phone.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder if the loyalty dept is offering subsidized versions of this phone with a 2 year commitment like they did with the X and as I understand it have since then from what I've heard

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
ATT offered a similar deal for the Note 20 that my husband got when it came out but the credits were $1000.
You only had to trade in a phone worth $70 (iPhone deal is $95). We traded in an iPhone 7 and the credits started the next bill. The terms are 30 months so I had to get the Next Up. You lose the credits if you upgrade the phone tho.

Its a great deal if you have an extra phone lying around or don’t owe a lot/ have paid off your current phone.

Wow. Am I understanding you correctly, you traded in an iPhone 7 and got $1,000 in bill credits?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I mean, our family has been with SNET/Cingular/AT&T for 21 years, so 3 doesn’t seem too bad. ?

But you cant even buy a newer iPhone outright and upgrade, while making payments on the old one?

is that right? As soon as a new phone is on the line, the deal ends?

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
So this works out to about $26 a month in credit from AT&T for the trade in right?

This should cover almost all of the monthly cost of the iPhone 12 Pro 256 upgrade.

I've been with AT&T for a decade and keeps my phones for 2+ years at a time. Seems like a no brainer unless I'm missing something.....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.