Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
BG3 is running so well on my 2022 Studio, I ended up restarting my campaign to experience the whole play through on the Mac (I was about to start Act 3 utilizing Linux and Steam Proton... which was a bit underwhelming on my hardware).

Reactions: Homy

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Yeah, the thing that put me off was the kind of grim and dark second act. I watched a bunch of Let’s Play videos to get a feel for it, and ended up not buying the game. Yet.

But it seems a fairly solid implementation of the 5th edition D&D rules, which I do enjoy when the DM doesn’t go mad throwing monsters at the players.

How do people find the ability to find creative solutions to combat? From the let’s play it seemed all battle-heavy.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Yeah, the thing that put me off was the kind of grim and dark second act. I watched a bunch of Let’s Play videos to get a feel for it, and ended up not buying the game. Yet.

But it seems a fairly solid implementation of the 5th edition D&D rules, which I do enjoy when the DM doesn’t go mad throwing monsters at the players.

How do people find the ability to find creative solutions to combat? From the let’s play it seemed all battle-heavy.

It doesn't have to be combat heavy. A lot of the major interactions can be done without combat.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I saw a video where a bard basically talked their way through every interaction (where combat isn’t immediately triggered; say like the forge guardian)

Yes, playing Bard does seem to allow you to convince a lot of the major bosses to kill themselves, so the difficult combats are avoided, although the bloodshed is not less.

The thing is, I have something against games where you end up killing just about everything and leaving whole dungeons full of corpses behind. It changed for me when I started studying Buddhism, it just began to seem less like “entertainment” and more like “why would you want to simulate doing that?”

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Yes, playing Bard does seem to allow you to convince a lot of the major bosses to kill themselves, so the difficult combats are avoided, although the bloodshed is not less.

The thing is, I have something against games where you end up killing just about everything and leaving whole dungeons full of corpses behind. It changed for me when I started studying Buddhism, it just began to seem less like “entertainment” and more like “why would you want to simulate doing that?”

I feel you. I don’t even like killing random wildlife like Bears in BG. Live and let live!

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I feel you. I don’t even like killing random wildlife like Bears in BG. Live and let live!
That reminds me of Tomb Raider 2013. Lara is a PhD student who ends up killing about every human on an island, including those she wanted to study.o_O

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009

Isn’t this just American entertainment though? In other media such as films as well as games? In games I’ve spent decades killing monsters, nazis, arabs, zombies, latin american drug dealers, aliens, zombie nazis, whatever, in a neverending stream. It seems to be a very integral part of the culture. The fact that you can resolve anything by other means in BG3 is notable. I couldn’t help mocking Bethesda when the first gameplay footage of Starfield entailed killing an outpost full of ”space pirates”. 🙄

Although Apple Arcade isn’t for me, I do appreciate that they avoid this. It’s symptomatic that this also reduces the mass appeal of the service.

Reactions: Bodhitree

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Yes it indicative, but if you look at for example movies they are arguably somewhat more mature, not every movie revolves around killing everything and completely depopulating the map. It is just the paradigm of ”combat-excitement-killing-reward” which seems so embedded in many games including D&D on which Baldurs Gate 3 is based.

There are other media such as books where it is not a thing, which is a bit closer to our experience of the real world but can still excite people and convince them to spend hours reading.

Even in games it’s not every publisher who chooses to pursue this paradigm, look at Nintendo’s games for example. Things like Super Mario Galaxy or Animal Crossing sell shedloads of copies but are still mostly devoid of combat.

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
I use it for work, so I need to see issues to be ironed out first and a public release usually throws up a few bugs. I’ll give it a few weeks and check specific apps before I upgrade.
Update, I found one of the patches fixed my issues with crashing. As well, I'm now on Sonoma. unfortunately I can't play as I've just had wrist surgery. Oh well, the game will be waiting for me.

Reactions: mr_jomo and delsoul

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I didn't bother uninstalling the game, but the patch definitely improved my performance in Act 2. I've only just got to Act 3, so I have no standard for comparison there.

Reactions: delsoul

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I had an update this morning of a whopping 80gb but not sure what exactly patch number it is

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I had an 80 GB update (on Mac) four days ago. I believe it's patch 5 but I'm not sure how to tell.

Edit: It's Hotfix 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: delsoul

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
How is the best way to update BG3 on Mac? I’m looking in game options and don’t see update options anywhere. Thanks, in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.