Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Folks are not happy in the tweet replies.

Not being on "whatever its called now" I cannot see the replies, but I understand the unhappiness. All Larian had to do, at any time before today, was mention the Mac release would be coming out on X day and most people would have been okay. Unfortunately, the choose a vague release date with no follow up. I say they deserve the outrage/backlash!

Reactions: Irishman

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Yeah, I was following the game forums and there were a few topics where people were complaining about the lack of communication until the very last minute. It was not cool.

Still it’s only a game, if you get so caught up in it that it feels like it actually matters then there is something wrong with your priorities.

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I Hope they bring the game to iPad Pro eventually like with Divinity OS 2, which I love playing on that platform

I totally agree ... but 'eventually' definitely describes D:OS2 coming to iPad!
Release
  • Windows
  • 14 September 2017
  • PlayStation 4, Xbox One
  • 31 August 2018
  • macOS
  • 31 January 2019
  • Nintendo Switch
  • 4 September 2019
  • iPadOS
  • 18 May 2021[1]

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
It's been released! Downloading now...
Where can I BUY the game and download it to my Mac? I don’t want to purchase it from a site and have to go through them each time to play it. I just want the game on my computer and nothing else

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
If you mean you don’t want to use a client like Steam, you can buy it from GOG. But even with something like Steam you aren’t going through a website, and you can play it completely offline.
Thank you for the reply and the insight. Correct, I don't want to use a client or have Steam on my current laptop. Would rather just purchase and download the game without anything else involved. I'll check that out on GOG. Thanks, again! How is this official Mac release running so far, do you need something super built to run it? I currently have a 14" MBP M1

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Thank you for the reply and the insight. Correct, I don't want to use a client or have Steam on my current laptop. Would rather just purchase and download the game without anything else involved. I'll check that out on GOG. Thanks, again! How is this official Mac release running so far, do you need something super built to run it? I currently have a 14" MBP M1
I haven't started playing yet - but the Early Access version played well on a M1 MacBook Air ... you just need adequate storage (~125GB).

And GoG is great for being able to offload installer files and play/install totally offline and DRM free. I have an old P4 laptop that I have loaded up with a bunch of classic games.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I don’t know, I play the game on Windows.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
My M2 MacBook Pro 14” gets pretty toasty playing this, but it runs well.

Resolution: 1920x1200
Graphics: Medium
FPS locked at 60 FPS

Temps hover around 80 degrees and the game maintains a pretty solid 60.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Out of 1 TB, I have less than the required amount of space available. I could just play it on Steam Deck, but I want to make sure they know that Mac users want amazing games and are willing to pay for them.

So much for those minimal machines with 256 GB and 7 graphics cores. My M1 will run it, but compromise will be necessary.

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Can it be played without a mouse comfortably? Or do you really need a mouse for this one to enjoy it

My play time for the last 6 weeks was on Steam Deck ... and playing on just my MBA is definitely better than that in terms of controls. It is NOT an action game, you're clicking the ground to move, etc. So for me it is absolutely fine with just my trackpad.

Reactions: delsoul

JouniS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
BG3 is not that demanding graphically. On the Windows side, if you have a previous-generation midrange GPU (like the 6700 XT), the game already suggests Ultra settings at 1440p. But the late game may be slow anyway, because there is so much going on in the world and the CPU may become the bottleneck. Which is why I'm considering switching to playing the game on my MBP.

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I'm on the 14" entry M1 Pro and it runs super smoothly, though it does get damn hot. When I first got the 14" I was worried the fan curve wasn't working or something, cause they'd almost never spin up even when I hit the upper 70s, low 80s. BG3 gets those puppies spinning! Core temp sits around 90, which I don't love but is within operating standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.