Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
will be very interested to read how it runs on M2 macbook airs with 8gb. not expecting miracles but if it runs okay with everything turned down then im more likely to buy it for my macbook and play it travelling than buy in PS5 and compete with Elden Ring for my time.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
will be very interested to read how it runs on M2 macbook airs with 8gb.
That is exactly what I am running. The game looks and runs fantastically well ... I haven't tweaked any settings so it is whatever it autodetected, and while I haven't actually scoped the framerate, I have not seen any slowdowns or lag or anything to think it is at or below 30FPS.

My older son is playing on his M1 MacBook Air, and haven't seen his graphics but he is very happy with performance.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Camzor

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
United States
My play time for the last 6 weeks was on Steam Deck ... and playing on just my MBA is definitely better than that in terms of controls. It is NOT an action game, you're clicking the ground to move, etc. So for me it is absolutely fine with just my trackpad.
I'm curious how you're controlling the camera with the trackpad. By default, the camera rotation is set to the middle mouse button. I tried to adjust the binding to something else, but it didn't seem to work for me, so I'm forced to plug in my travel mouse if I'm using this away from my main desk. I'd love if you can share your secret, because I'd love to leave my mouse behind when I travel!

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'm curious how you're controlling the camera with the trackpad. By default, the camera rotation is set to the middle mouse button. I tried to adjust the binding to something else, but it didn't seem to work for me, so I'm forced to plug in my travel mouse if I'm using this away from my main desk. I'd love if you can share your secret, because I'd love to leave my mouse behind when I travel!

As a lifelong PC gamer, I just automatically use WASD to control things - and for me those are the defaults to move the camera, with Q & E as the rotation keys. Zooming in and out is done with 'fn' and the up/down arrows. And most of the traditional RPG shortcut keys (M=map, J=journal, etc.) also work.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I don't understand after such delay there is no MetalFx or FSR 2.0
How come?

FSR 1.0 is ****.

FSR 2.0 is still being worked on according to the developer ... but when you look at the last 6 weeks we have gotten the PC release, multiple small patches and optimizations (works great on Steam Deck now), as well as releases for PS5 and Mac, a 3rd full massive patch and so on - all on a massive game with thousands of branching options.

Getting the Mac release out correctly - which they ABSOLUTELY DID - is 10000000000000% more important than FSR whatever. FSR 2 is better than FSR 1 ... but nobody (at least nobody serious minded) is buying or not buying a game based on that minor distinction.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
That is exactly what I am running. The game looks and runs fantastically well ... I haven't tweaked any settings so it is whatever it autodetected, and while I haven't actually scoped the framerate, I have not seen any slowdowns or lag or anything to think it is at or below 30FPS.

My older son is playing on his M1 MacBook Air, and haven't seen his graphics but he is very happy with performance.
Great to know thanks

Camzor

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
United States
As a lifelong PC gamer, I just automatically use WASD to control things - and for me those are the defaults to move the camera, with Q & E as the rotation keys. Zooming in and out is done with 'fn' and the up/down arrows. And most of the traditional RPG shortcut keys (M=map, J=journal, etc.) also work.

Don't Q and E rotate the camera?
I had no idea Q and E rotated the camera. Holy crap. I feel like a dummy, and I've been playing this since early access. Still, this is helpful, hah. Thanks, guys.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Disraeli Gears....

I'm running the same laptop as you are and I never once heard the fans in over a year until yesterday when I started playing BG3. I agree, it gets really hot! I'm just running it on the standard 'suggested' settings that the game installed with on the laptop and it does run really smooth, looks great, etc...it's just hot as hell. I don't have a temperature app installed on the laptop so I'm glad to hear that our temps are still within spec. I've looked at the activity monitor and the 16gb of ram does just fine and the cpu barely even breaks a sweat at all.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Disraeli Gears....

I'm running the same laptop as you are and I never once heard the fans in over a year until yesterday when I started playing BG3. I agree, it gets really hot! I'm just running it on the standard 'suggested' settings that the game installed with on the laptop and it does run really smooth, looks great, etc...it's just hot as hell. I don't have a temperature app installed on the laptop so I'm glad to hear that our temps are still within spec. I've looked at the activity monitor and the 16gb of ram does just fine and the cpu barely even breaks a sweat at all.
The first two Acts aren't that heavy on CPU from what folks have said. Though Larian did say they improved performance in the City, so maybe macOS won't have the issue at all.

Reactions: delsoul

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Which version of macOS are you running? GPU drivers can cause such issues, so it's usually better to get the latest macOS version, it will all the latest drivers with improvements and bug fixes.

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
Which version of macOS are you running? GPU drivers can cause such issues, so it's usually better to get the latest macOS version, it will all the latest drivers with improvements and bug fixes.
Ventura 13.5.2. I think only Sonoma is newer, and it's a day old.

Reactions: Irishman

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
13.6 was release last week. But often new games find new exiting ways to make the GPU drivers explode, probably it get better in a few months.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
MBP with M1 Max, 32gb RAM, 2TB drive. I don’t think it’s a performance issue.
Also M1 Max with 32GB RAM. Never had a crash either with early access builds or launch game. So I wouldn’t immediately suspect your hardware config (obviously) or the game, but rather the software environment. Because I have had issues (under Sonoma, so for a day😀) with GOG not wanting to let go gracefully.
Good thing with GOG though is that I can launch the game directly without going through their platform, so it’s an avoidable issue until fixed. (And it may already be, because I haven’t installed the latest Galaxy update.)

Reactions: TarkinDale

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
Also M1 Max with 32GB RAM. Never had a crash either with early access builds or launch game. So I wouldn’t immediately suspect your hardware config (obviously) or the game, but rather the software environment. Because I have had issues (under Sonoma, so for a day😀) with GOG not wanting to let go gracefully.
Good thing with GOG though is that I can launch the game directly without going through their platform, so it’s an avoidable issue until fixed. (And it may already be, because I haven’t installed the latest Galaxy update.)
I’m using steam: I should see if I can launch directly. I’ll also make sure I have every other app closed, just in case.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I’ve enjoyed the little bit I played, but on exiting the second time, it crashed hard enough to send my MBP into a reboot. Now I’m a little nervous.

Were you avoiding it when Sonoma was in beta?

You might have better luck now that it’s fully baked!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.