Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Maybe Obama is trying to secure a job at Apple, Inc. when his term is over, especially now with the way the economy and the war in Afghanistan is going.:rolleyes:

Maybe Jobs will replace Paul Bernanke? Or on the next presidential ticket running against Sarah Palin :D

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So what type of gift will Obama have for Steve and what will steve have for Obama?

if obama wanted to play it right, he'd give steve his blackberry, and then steve would give him an iphone.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Me too. I just hope it is about asking Jobs advice and not about joining or contributing to the government in a way that conflict with the interest of the citizens.

I think given Jobs speech at Stanford in 2005, I'm pretty sure there will be quite a range of topics in which Jobs won't hold back on and Obama likes a good discussion with those who differ in opinion so I think it will be interesting. Wondering if the recent dinner between Jobs and Zuckerberg, given Zuckerberg's recent push on the education front will have an effect on the topics they discuss. Forty-five minutes seems too short for these men to have a discussion but that's the life of a President, brief, intense meetings. Staff follow up later if needed.

I'm pretty sure Jobs is where he wants to be and doing what he wants to do now.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
MODERATOR NOTE

Please keep this discussion on-topic. Any posts unrelated to today's meeting between Obama and Jobs will be deleted.

Thank you.

MOD REMINDER.

Posts that don't follow the first mod note are being deleted. Once again, keep the discussion relevant to the meeting between Obama and Jobs.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I wonder if we'll ever get to know the gist of the conversation. Jobs might have some good thoughts on what it would take to get manufacturing brought back to the States, though Obama might be able to inform him on some barriers that make his ides more difficult. A good back and forth could lead to some interesting proposals to get more work done back here.

One problem with trying to get jobs back here is that places like China simply have cheaper labor, and so cheaper products, than the States. Germany's solution to this has been to work on less mass produced cheap quality products, and focus on higher end high quality stuff. Perhaps this could be an example for the States? If so Jobs might be a good person to talk to.

Oh, and please stay on topic. Really, has it become so bad that a politician can't have his or her name mentioned without a thread becoming a flamewar?

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
"This President" meeting about the US economy with the head of a company that makes ALL of it products overseas is really smart......

Aren't the macbook bodies carved from the aluminum block somewhere in the states? Besides .. Apple sure sells a ton of its products in the US and probably more even more importantly .. they do pay taxes there as well.

T

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
This never happened

I can guarantee you the President never went to SF tonight. If they met, it was in Palo Alto.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
If only Steve were president. Can you imagine how awesome the USA would be? Holy hell!.:eek:
Actually, I think it would be a great idea.
Man, and there are people now who think the government is becoming too dominant and restrictive. I can only imagine how bad it would be if Steve Jobs would be president... :eek:

EDIT: I'm a big fan of Obama, by the way. I don't think the government is being too restrictive; I just stated that there are people who think so. But would Steve Jobs be president, my opinion might change.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
That's what I thought. It's a 45 minute meeting between two of the world's most influential leaders! Nothing more, nothing less.

Some people need to chill :rolleyes:

I wouldn't place Jobs into the same strata of influence as Obama. I think you think way too highly of Jobs' influence. Sure, I enjoy and purchase his/Apple's products, but comparing his influence to Obama's is a farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stretch.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
So are there any news reports out yet on what was discussed?

I hope Steve gave Pres. Obama an earful on this countries pathetic broadband infrastructure as well as the need for Net Neutrality.

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Nice to see the elite getting together to see what the 300m minions that populate this republic we call the United States deserve from government and Lord Steve's next upgrade cycles.

Give me a break.

Jobs gets on a conf call to foam at the competition. Then he saddles up with Czar Obama.

Apple is done for.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Maybe Obama will learn something. Like how to run a country.

Oh I think you better go do a wiki search for the duties of the prez honey! There are check and balances set forth by the founding fathers. The prez ain't the only one running this ship.
You should ask Alan Greespan why he and Larry Summers took down Brooksley Born when she tried to regulate the derivative markets. Yeah, nothing to say now huh. She was trying to save this country from financial disaster but all she got was a swift kick in the butt by the feds and the US Congress.
Now look where we're at!!!
Nobody can fix this mess.
We lost 8 trillion in housing value(take a big gulp!!!) and 1.3 trillion PER YEAR in consumer spending. So tell me, whoever you are, after losing all that what the hell did you think would happen to the country? Huh!
All this mess done by he elite before Obama came in. They wrecked this country way before hand and then ran under a rock leaving delusional, uninformed trolls like you to pick up the pieces.
I'm done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.