Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm not experienced in marketing by any means but this is terrible. And the closing like makes it seem like a jab at Siri.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Beats marketing team makes painfully bad 'Apple style' short celebrating their purchase.

Apple fires 200 Beats employees.

makes sense.

*I know that we have no idea which marketing team actually made this but I thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Setting aside whatever deeper meaning folks have attributed to this silly little piece of PR, it makes Apple look stiff, uncool, and a little dysfunctional. And those pill characters look almost as creepy as the Teletubbies. Doesn't make me want to cozy up to either company. Pity.

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Wow, this is really bad. Although you can clearly see this isn't apple made, so there's hope!

Japple91

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
I do agree this is pretty awful but it definitely seems to be marketing toward a certain demographic is you ask me...

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
You just don't get it.

No you don't get it, "Apple" had nothing to do with the add. It was a poke at Apple which likely is the Beats side of the company. This may be targeted toward a certain demographic so stop with all this outrage over Apple/Beats. It happened and now get on with life. Honestly do you think all the old consumers are gonna keep Apple afloat? Younger generation gets older and spends money just as everyone on Macrumors has prior...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't like it either, but come on... It's just a teaser. It's not a horrible as by any means. I think I'm just not a fan of the mascots Lol.

Dr. Dre is having a party (cofounder of Beats) and didn't invite two of his own products? That means something...

You guys gotta look below the surface. Beats Pills really aren't good at all. So maybe they're finally getting the axe.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I hope this ad encourages Tim Cook to kill off those Pill Mascots and cut ties with Beats advertising. They are just awful and bordering on racist caricatures. That or maybe Tim can throw his support behind introducing another mascot based on homosexual stereotypes like Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
No you don't get it, "Apple" had nothing to do with the add. It was a poke at Apple which likely is the Beats side of the company. This may be targeted toward a certain demographic so stop with all this outrage over Apple/Beats. It happened and now get on with life. Honestly do you think all the old consumers are gonna keep Apple afloat? Younger generation gets older and spends money just as everyone on Macrumors has prior...

Unfortunately it is still you who doesn't get it. Beats is now owned by Apple. This ad has their implicit or explicit approval, no matter what. It has to have been sanctioned by Apple, as the copyrighted Apple logo is used in the ad.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I liked it. Although they're using Siri's old voice! :eek:

I'd like to see anyone here try to pull that kind of ad off. :rolleyes: Just how long do you think it takes to animate an ad?

A ****** ad like that probably 1hr total. Simple duplicate models, no background, not much squeleton movement.

-------------------

I guess apple spend all it's commercial money on buying beats. Just horrible commercial.
They should have just put dr dre in a commercial w some headphones on his neck and he is holding a 5s. Pan out from the 5s apple logo and him plugging the headphones into the 5s. Then have two lines saying something like: beats by dr dre a subsidiary of apple and then have the beats logo inside the apple logo or side by side. Simple and to the point.

Rothgarr

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Did any of the complainers actually read the article? It's not a commercial. You'll never see this on TV. It's just a silly promo that Beats put together.

Nothing to see here, carry on.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I liked it. Although they're using Siri's old voice! :eek:

I'd like to see anyone here try to pull that kind of ad off. :rolleyes: Just how long do you think it takes to animate an ad?

It's not really about the technical effort/feasibility. Even if the animations were much better - or much worse - I don't think it'd affect the problem I had with the ad itself. The humour of it seemed so off, tasteless and not altogether the advert was just not what I'd expect from Apple. It's not a terrible advert, but we know that Apple is capable of much, much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.