Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I think most of you missed the point that Siri said the Beats pill mascots was not invited. And then fainted ignorance (sorry, I didn't get that) when asked again. :D

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I liked the ad, and loved that they poked fun of Siri.

----------

Yep, you and I (and 2010mini) might be the only people here on MR that got that fact.

That's the first time Apple actually poked fun of their own Apple-branded product/service (Siri in this case).

Self-deprecating humor. Never expected that from an Apple commercial.

But the rest of the ad, including those awful animated toons ….. ugh…. cringeworthy. I guess this is what happens right after Apple moves away from Chiat-Day as their advertising agency.

----------

I liked it. Although they're using Siri's old voice! :eek:

Well I like to think of it as Siri's "classic voice". I still use it, plus the voice is instantly recognizable for the mass of consumers.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Came here for the video, stayed for the meltdowns.

Now that you all got that out of your systems, you should all relax now. This was done by Beats PR team, not apple, and it's not an advertisement.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Heh. Apple do some nice (albeit boring) ads but they still throw a terrible one like this into the mix every now and then. Not surprised they deleted the tweet.

Also... did they take the piss out of how terrible Siri is at the end there?

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Are the complainers really serious?! I always felt Apple customers we sharper than all the noise I keep hearing about Beats. I wonder if Katy Perry was the partner instead of Dr Dre if the outrage would be equivalent? Most likely not. You guys are so biased you can't even see the message in the ad down to the Siri's final response. She was pretending she couldn't hear him because he kept insisting on the directions and she wasn't giving them.

How would Katy Perry make it any better? I would sell my stock right away if that fake b!@#$ had anything to do with Apple.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
HATERS SHUT UP!!, you don't see the true message! Apple is basically saying "Beats Pill dudes" you are getting the axe! You ain't invited! pure genius! Wake up haters and see this! Apple ain't buying beats for what they have out now, it's for where they will take it! Read the PR and it's all about the future, Apple will take beats to a whole new level, and to be more precise... will take music to a whole new level!

If this was indeed the purpose of this video, the show that the pill dudes are not coming with Beats to the "Apple party", then the subtleness is brilliant and a fun way to end things. But having Siri say "Sorry, I didn't get that" was a poor and not-very-funny way to end the video.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Guys, does it show Pill beating Siri? And telling her not to funk with him? That would be fitting in an add from 'Dr' Dre.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Came here for the video, stayed for the meltdowns.

Now that you all got that out of your systems, you should all relax now. This was done by Beats PR team, not apple, and it's not an advertisement.

I think it's the fact that Apple didn't approve this and it was put out without their knowledge that many people are seeing as a potential problem in this deal. So far the Beats crew seems to not understand the Apple philosophy of carefully crafting anything that goes out and that Apple carries almost all the power in this acquisition.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Schiller is going off on the Beats marketing division right now even more than he did on TBWA. They should start off by killing the @beatsbydre Twitter account or at least put a cap on one or two tweets a week. As of now, it looks like something put out by Pepsi or another generic company's bash you over the head marketing that feels the need to update several times a day with celebrity name dropping. I'm fearful that Apple is going to lose their uniqueness and just become like every other brand that throws a bunch of trendy crap out there and hopes a few stick without caring that it will tarnish the brand's image in the long run.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Oh God what the hell is this? This commercial is terrible and so un-Apple and it shows that we need Steve back...too bad he couldn't have been cloned so that we'd have another one.

Steve would never have allowed this

I hate this ad, I hate Beats, and I hate Apple buying Beats, but Apple didn't make this ad.

----------

Update 8/2 12:00 PM PT: The Beats Electronics tweet featuring the video has been deleted from Twitter.

Grumpy_Cat_Good.jpg

----------

It is getting very annoying to be honest. Apple fans need to let it go, get behind Beats and Beats products, and stop pissing on everything done under the Beats brand. As Tim Cook said, they are part of the family now. That should be good enough for everyone. It's time for Apple fans to quit the whining and start looking for positive things to say about the Beats product line.

Replace "fan" with "fanboy". The only reason I'm a fan of Apple is because their products I own are great.

crashdiet69

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
THIS was the worst Apple commercial made.

http://youtu.be/V-SJQdREDKM

They ended up firing the ad agency responsible for making it after it caused such outrage. They tried to mimic the intensity and mood of their famous '1984' Super Bowl ad. Can't see Apple or beats making this 'Ad'. Could have just as easily been made by an outraged ex employee (200 'temporary' positions within the beats sector) that Apple allotted.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Time to sell all my apple stock.

Are Beats not a highly profitable company with wildly popular products and a strong brand which has just launched a streaimg service that is gaining traction and very well may become a material revenue stream for the company ?

Is it wise make investment decisions based on emotional attachment to a brand and it's products?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Are Beats not a highly profitable company with wildly popular products and a strong brand which has just launched a streaimg service that is gaining traction and very well may become a material revenue stream for the company ?

Is it wise make investment decisions based on emotional attachment to a brand and it's products?

The value of Beats is already factored into Apple's share price, theoretically, so it doesn't matter. Apple has to use Beats to their advantage.

Last edited:

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Considering that the note on the Beats homepage is so poorly typeset, using horribly kerned text set in Myriad Regular (not Light) with "straight" apostrophes—even using Hoefler for the headline, presumably to try match Apple's old branding (which actually used Garamond)—and considering that the Apple and Beats logos are shown side by side in the video, separated with a line, I can't see how this is the work of Apple's marketing team.

(Not to mention, of course, the awful, awkward content of the video.)

I really hope this is the Beats team's final, er, thing.

[/tired type nerd rant]

One of the best replies to this thread. Very entertaining rant indeed.

Wild Warg

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Yeah...this is wow...pretty stupid ad. I support the merger but I felt embarrassed watching this.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Oh God what the hell is this? This commercial is terrible and so un-Apple and it shows that we need Steve back...too bad he couldn't have been cloned so that we'd have another one.

Steve would never have allowed this

You need to remember who Beats' customers primarily are. It fits their demographic very well.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Here's what I find truly tragic.

It's 2014 and we still have people who say "add" instead of "ad".

You all get an F.

MaxDrago

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Reality check

Firstly, people flipping out assuming anyone in Apple PR green lighted this, just hasn't been paying attention. Apple doesn't roll that way... The employee who released this (if identified), is probably an ex-employee by now, or soon will be (HR works on weekends if needed).

Note: With all of Apple's media distribution networks to call on, a post on twitter, with content hosted by twitter just isn't likely (post appears to have been from @beatsbydre via twimg.com).

Secondly, having been part of a relatively recent 'Merger via Acquisition'... It's not uncommon for one side of the newly merged entity to release something that doesn't tell the appropriate story about the overall brand (There' some crazy embarrasing stuff still up on one of our youtube channels).

Judging by the timing, and how long it would take to have someone craft a commercial (even of low quality), this was already ready to roll. No one in Apple PR would have let this out to the public, though it might have been used internally, but even that's not likely... You don't poke fun at the new team (regardless of which side of the fence their on). Hence the release timing (EOD on a Friday)... It takes a much longer time for someone with the appropriate access and authority to remove something posted after hours.

As far as how it got out... Corporate twitter accounts are supposed to be accessible by a select few. Unfortunately this is rarely the case, and people with access who shouldn't have it just don't post for fear of repercussions... but when you have just been told your job is now 'temporary' and you know the team from the smaller company is getting boxed as soon as the merger paperwork allows... there's nothing to stop people from posting things that never would have seen the light of day otherwise (especially if you were smart enough to post by proxy and they can't pin it on you).

I bet the keys to all public facing accounts are under Apple PR's control by EOD Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.