Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy today announced the launch of a new "Envision" app designed for the Apple Vision Pro headset. Envision is designed to allow Best Buy customers to explore different products and see how those products look in their own living spaces.

best-buy-envision-app.jpg

According to Best Buy, the Envision app is meant to help consumers plan their "ultimate home technology setup." 3D models of Best Buy products are included, so users can see them from all angles and get an idea of the space they take up. The app includes big screen TVs, large and small appliances, computers, furniture, fitness equipment, and more.

There are hundreds of items to scroll through and preview, along with access to product ratings and pricing. Listings can be opened up in Safari on the Vision Pro to make purchases on the Best Buy website.

The Best Buy Envision app is available for free from the Vision Pro App Store.

Article Link: Best Buy Launches Apple Vision Pro App for Previewing Tech Products

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
Nice. I kind of like this idea for shopping. Can't remember who, but some shoe company was showing off the same thing... ability to rotate the shoe in 3D, zoom in/out, etc. Looking forward to more of this.
Allen Edmonds ... No need to strap an iPad to your face.

Also a lot of other high-end European shoemakers are also offering this on their websites now, for free, so no need to waste $3,500...

Last edited:

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Just questioning why Vision Pro for this home technology simulation? iPhone Pro models and iPad Pro support LIDAR.

Reference
They already have AR placement in the iOS Best Buy app. I’ve used it to play with different TV sizes and an electric fireplace.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Just questioning why Vision Pro for this home technology simulation? iPhone Pro models and iPad Pro support LIDAR.

Reference
It’s different to see it though a screen vs a ar goggle.

Reactions: KeithBN

Polinsky

Suspended
Oct 7, 2023
Nice idea. Maybe in a couple years or next year.

Can I use it to visualize physical media I bought from there? too soon?

Now there is a compelling reason to make an app.

Allen Edmonds ... No need to strap an iPad to your face.

Also a lot of other high-end European shoemakers are also offering this on their websites now, for free, so no need to waste $3,500...
I'm done with this nonsense. Here's an article of a new app which sounds pretty good. So I decide to read the thread for some intelligent discussion. And low and behold, post after post of inflammatory and mean-spirited comments. How can MacRumors allow this useless hatred to fill the threads? They are going to be left with a roster of nothing but people who live to unintelligently criticize and be mean. Enjoy expressing your hate with each other.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'm done with this nonsense. Here's an article of a new app which sounds pretty good. So I decide to read the thread for some intelligent discussion. And low and behold, post after post of inflammatory and mean-spirited comments. How can MacRumors allow this useless hatred to fill the threads? They are going to be left with a roster of nothing but people who live to unintelligently criticize and be mean. Enjoy expressing your hate with each other.

When someone says something positive (my post) about something it might be wise NOT assume it's actually negative because, well it's such a mean thread, with mean, bad people.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002

Reference
Because as a contractor, I can write off the purchase of a Vision Pro on my taxes. Thanks Best Buy! (I may or may not be a contractor)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Because as a contractor, I can write off the purchase of a Vision Pro on my taxes. Thanks Best Buy! (I may or may not be a contractor)
Hmmmmm
Only if you use it exclusively for work. This goes for other tech too: A work-only phone or monitor is 100% tax-deductible.

If you use a gadget for work and personal reasons, write off your business-use percentage.
Would you be able to claim the AVP is exclusively for work? Otherwise it's a percentage used to lower your taxes. 🧐

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Reference
Cause there are zero killer apps and this all they could come up with.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I'm done with this nonsense. Here's an article of a new app which sounds pretty good. So I decide to read the thread for some intelligent discussion. And lo and behold, post after post of inflammatory and mean-spirited comments. How can MacRumors allow this useless hatred to fill the threads? They are going to be left with a roster of nothing but people who live to unintelligently criticize and be mean. Enjoy expressing your hate with each other.
Who puts a stove/oven/range in the middle of the living room? Looks like an augmented bug to me.

Reactions: arkitect and Stenik

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006

I'm not sure why you're so sensitive about this. The comments you quoted were fairly benign especially compared to your reply categorizing them as unintelligent and hateful. Are you suggesting an intelligent conversation can only exist to sing the AVPs praises?
There were a lot of loud voices on here insisting the AVP would change the world. Many of us have had experience with VR and understand it's limitations. Limitations that higher resolution and or more processing power can't solve by itself. Those of us that use VR are aware it just doesn't have mainstream appeal which by the way is just fine. It's just not going to be Apples next big thing. All of the possible use cases (the one in this article included) have been tried before and haven't gained any real interest. The only area where VR has had any commercial success is in gaming and Apple is clearly not focused on that. Apple has been pushing this as AR and not VR but that's just not true. This literal reality is that the AVP is a virtual reality headset with fake augmented reality achived by using cameras to simulate AR. The Microsoft Hololens was / is a true AR headset but the AVP is not.
Look, I don't hate the AVP, I just don't think it will be successful on a scale that would matter to Apple. It's expensive, heavy, isolating, only works with other Apple products and doesn't appeal to a mainstream audience. I will say that Apple is amazing at getting the mainstream publics attention. If they can't make this work then no one can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.