Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I tried QSpace. While it performed acceptably, I found it way overblown with features to the point it was cumbersome to work with. It feels like the crammed-in features with no plan on how to implement them.

Also, I do have two folders showing in columns and sometimes an extra tab or two open in one of those columns, I just don't have the need to have 10 folders open at any given time, so QSpace was overkill from the start.

And finally, I found QSpace to have a fairly "utilitarian" GUI. I prefer Forklift's more Mac-like interface, or even Path Finder's.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I've been a fan of Forklift since I moved on to a Mac (5 years ago), but last week moved on to QSpace Pro, it does take a bit of getting used to, but I think I'll be sticking with it. Productivity wise it works for me. It did take me 2 days though to get it configured how I want it :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I've been a fan of Forklift since I moved on to a Mac (5 years ago), but last week moved on to QSpace Pro, it does take a bit of getting used to, but I think I'll be sticking with it. Productivity wise it works for me. It did take me 2 days though to get it configured how I want it :)

could you give a brief pros/cons on each? I am trying to decide between the two

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
The two are very similar in use and operation if you can adjust to the 'workspace' operational differences between the two. For my workflows I'm usually working with file movement between Mac and iCloud or network shares on my NAS. So I'm typically not dealing with large files.
Both are somewhat on par with one another excepting that QSpace has a lot more 'twiddly' bits you can adjust to suit.
Forklift is certainly better than all other file managers I've used and as I said I've used it for years. QSpace I tried when it first came out, didn't like it and went back to Forklift. It now seems to have matured nicely and I'm glad I revisited it. It's now my manager of choice.
I've only had to go back to Forklift copy out some custom paths, but apart from that I've never moved back.
Both have trial periods so all I can recommend is trial both and see which you prefer.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
Do any of these more popular alternatives have the tags set up where the whole line is the tag color?

While a small detail, it's one of the things I really like(d) about PathFinder versus the small colored dot off to the left in Finder and some of the others.

With my upgrade to Sonoma, it appears to have broken something in Pathfinder for me, so that all of the "tags" are now just gray, so they don't really differentiate the way they did before. I am currently testing the free trial for forklift, and even though I picked colors for tabs, they too just show as gray dots. So, maybe it's Sonoma that is the issue rather than the finders, but still looking for something that may provide whole row color other than Pathfinder.

I emailed their support, but from what I've seen online, I may never get a response from them, and if I do, it might be a month from now.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Do any of these more popular alternatives have the tags set up where the whole line is the tag color?

While a small detail, it's one of the things I really like(d) about PathFinder versus the small colored dot off to the left in Finder and some of the others.

With my upgrade to Sonoma, it appears to have broken something in Pathfinder for me, so that all of the "tags" are now just gray, so they don't really differentiate the way they did before. I am currently testing the free trial for forklift, and even though I picked colors for tabs, they too just show as gray dots. So, maybe it's Sonoma that is the issue rather than the finders, but still looking for something that may provide whole row color other than Pathfinder.

I emailed their support, but from what I've seen online, I may never get a response from them, and if I do, it might be a month from now.

QSpace has that. You can set the tag style to one of "Badges", "Ribbon", or "Badges and Ribbon". The ribbon choice sets the color on the whole line.

Reactions: NativeTxn

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
QSpace has that. You can set the tag style to one of "Badges", "Ribbon", or "Badges and Ribbon". The ribbon choice sets the color on the whole line.
Thanks. My only concern with QSpace is some of the stuff I've read about their data collection practices and how secure things are if you use it. Admittedly, I haven't dug into it too much, but these days, privacy seems to be on the forefront of things.

Any concerns that you all have on this front as it relates to QSpace?

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
Thanks. My only concern with QSpace is some of the stuff I've read about their data collection practices and how secure things are if you use it. Admittedly, I haven't dug into it too much, but these days, privacy seems to be on the forefront of things.

Any concerns that you all have on this front as it relates to QSpace?

Agreed.

I'd be more interested in QSpace if the developers could demonstrate that their privacy and data practices are benign, and that their work has long-term viability. Otherwise, Forklift seems the better option.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL

Attachments

• CleanShot 2023-09-06 at 12.23.26.png
    CleanShot 2023-09-06 at 12.23.26.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 71

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
does any file manager allow you to browse iCloud or other ENCRYPTED file storage like Filen.io and ProtonDrive?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
does any file manager allow you to browse iCloud or other ENCRYPTED file storage like Filen.io and ProtonDrive?
Let me tell you of a file manager / File Sharing beast that can do that and more in a fabulous manner: DropShare, Even if you don't find your cloud service, you can import it yourself or better yet, ask the developer to include it.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2024-01-14 at 20.53.20.png
    CleanShot 2024-01-14 at 20.53.20.png
    620.6 KB · Views: 50

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I queried the developer concerning the QSpace Pro privacy issues mentioned in this thread and got the following reply.

In QSpace, each account can be used on up to two devices at the same time, and if you log in to the third new device, the account on the old device will be automatically logged out. QSpace will periodically check the device usage ( device IDs ) of the current account ( user ID ) with the server to execute this policy.

QSpace users may be in various places around the world. When users upgrade, QSpace's CDN will provide the nearest download node based on the user's IP.

PS:

User ID: In the QSpace AppStore version, it is a unique user ID generated based on the user's AppStore order. In QSpace Pro, it is the ID of the account created when the user logs in via email. Does not include user’s Apple ID.

Device ID: A unique identifier of the user device generated based on the user device information.

All information collected by QSpace will not be shared with any third party and will only be used for QSpace related functions.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!
After reading that I'm more than happy to continue using it :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I queried the developer concerning the QSpace Pro privacy issues mentioned in this thread and got the following reply.

After reading that I'm more than happy to continue using it :)

yeah, maybe I am paranoid, but I have hard time trusting developers

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'll agree 100% over not trusting Google :)
:rolleyes:

US and European consumer protections laws are relatively strong. They are considerably weaker in China.

That's not intended to cast aspersions that Chinese developers have nefarious purposes, but if they did, there's little any of us could do about it after the fact, and even if you trust the developer, they are at the mercy of the Chinese government. This is the rationale for the US and others pushing for the transfer of TikTok ownership. The difference from a user standpoint is that TikTok can only collect data that I like watching funny cat videos. TikTok doesn't have access to my entire hard drive.

It's really unfair to the QSpace developer, but I'd be a little less wary if they were US/European-based for an app like this. FWIW, I use Little Snitch, and I did keep an eye on QS while I was trialing it, and didn't notice any unusual network activity (though I'm aware that apps can check if you're using Little Snitch).

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I guess every file manager allows access to iCloud Drive. Or do you mean something else?
File mangers can access iCloud Drive, but unless the files reside locally, the files aren't visible to 3rd party file managers (not any that I'm aware of, not sure if that's recently changed).

It made it impossible for me to reliably use iCloud with 3rd party file managers.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
:rolleyes:

US and European consumer protections laws are relatively strong. They are considerably weaker in China.

That's not intended to cast aspersions that Chinese developers have nefarious purposes, but if they did, there's little any of us could do about it after the fact, and even if you trust the developer, they are at the mercy of the Chinese government. This is the rationale for the US and others pushing for the transfer of TikTok ownership. The difference from a user standpoint is that TikTok can only collect data that I like watching funny cat videos. TikTok doesn't have access to my entire hard drive.

It's really unfair to the QSpace developer, but I'd be a little less wary if they were US/European-based for an app like this. FWIW, I use Little Snitch, and I did keep an eye on QS while I was trialing it, and didn't notice any unusual network activity (though I'm aware that apps can check if you're using Little Snitch).

It does worry me that QSpace is from China. Unfortunately, it is so far and away the best file manager that I've found, that I am willing to risk it.

I wonder if it's safer using the app store version since it's supposedly been reviewed. Even if the review is careless, the developer would have to be very careful to not plant anything that could be discovered.

If people here think it would be safer, then I might buy the app store version and switch to that.

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
It does worry me that QSpace is from China. Unfortunately, it is so far and away the best file manager that I've found, that I am willing to risk it.

I wonder if it's safer using the app store version since it's supposedly been reviewed. Even if the review is careless, the developer would have to be very careful to not plant anything that could be discovered.

If people here think it would be safer, then I might buy the app store version and switch to that.
I find it difficult to believe there are features in QSpace that presumably aren’t available elsewhere that warrant taking this huge risk.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I find it difficult to believe there are features in QSpace that presumably aren’t available elsewhere that warrant taking this huge risk.

Really, it's not even close in terms of features and usability. I can prepare a long list if you want it. It will take a bit of work to put it all together. But the simplest thing is the ability to have four panes. I can't believe I thought two was enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.