Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Really, it's not even close in terms of features and usability.
I am starting to think that none of them come close to Finder when you can use extensions like ContextMenu, Quick Actions, and automatically open whatever layout you like with tools like Keyboard Maestro and Better Touch Tool.

I know this view is anathema to this thread ;)

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
It does worry me that QSpace is from China. Unfortunately, it is so far and away the best file manager that I've found, that I am willing to risk it.

How exactly does Forklift compare, especially the newest version? Does Forklift share its "roadmap" of upcoming features and changes?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
File mangers can access iCloud Drive, but unless the files reside locally, the files aren't visible to 3rd party file managers (not any that I'm aware of, not sure if that's recently changed).

It made it impossible for me to reliably use iCloud with 3rd party file managers.

so i was not wrong. I cant access files in the cloud in 3rd party file managers

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
so i was not wrong. I cant access files in the cloud in 3rd party file managers
I can access all of my iCloud content in QSpace. I can also access my Dropbox and OneDrive content.

Certainly, if your Documents and Desktop of kept in iCloud, all file managers should have no problem accessing them. Apple handles those folders differently.

Reactions: MacBH928

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I can access all of my iCloud content in QSpace. I can also access my Dropbox and OneDrive content.

Certainly, if your Documents and Desktop of kept in iCloud, all file managers should have no problem accessing them. Apple handles those folders differently.

I've been thinking a bit about this comment in light of what @ixxx69 said earlier that only files which have been stored locally can be accessed. All of the files that I see in iCloud, Dropbox, and OneDrive are indeed sync'd to my computer. So, I think this comment of mine missed the point, since the point was about browsing remote files.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I've been thinking a bit about this comment in light of what @ixxx69 said earlier that only files which have been stored locally can be accessed. All of the files that I see in iCloud, Dropbox, and OneDrive are indeed sync'd to my computer. So, I think this comment of mine missed the point, since the point was about browsing remote files.

Following on just a bit from that, with respect to QSpace. I don't see how to browse unsync'd files in iCloud, but Dropbox and OneDrive are included in the list of connection types QSpace supports. Here is the list:

connections.jpg

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

how does syncing the files work? I thought how it works is that files are on the server and you access them remotely. If I store them locally then I can't access them from another device?

it will be hard to pick on something other than the finder if it can't access iCloud drive since it is integrated into macos/ios to cross transfer files

---

I need a 1 stop shop to see my files every where and preferably not having to install an "always on" background app because if you use multiple cloud servers you will have always on "onedrive, dropbox, box, Gdrive" and a lot of bloat and chaos.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
QSpace shows non-downloaded files on iCloud Drive for me:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-27 um 09.48.48.png

It shows the Cloud symbol, as soon as a press space to open QuickLook it will Download, the Cloud symbol disappears, and in the context menu it shows Remove Download

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-27 um 09.50.29.png

Reactions: MacBH928

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
QSpace shows non-downloaded files on iCloud Drive for me:

View attachment 2341622

It shows the Cloud symbol, as soon as a press space to open QuickLook it will Download, the Cloud symbol disappears, and in the context menu it shows Remove Download

View attachment 2341623

if the file gets downloaded, then you edit it, does it sync the edit? or it keeps the old version online and the edited version offline?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
How exactly does Forklift compare, especially the newest version?

Sorry for the late response; I didn't notice you asking me this question about how Forklift compares to QSpace.

Forklift seems quite simplistic compared to QSpace. It has far fewer features from what I can tell testing the latest Forklift 4. Forklift is very Apple-like in trying to keep it simple to avoid confusing the user. They focused on form over function. The result is you get less features. From what I can see, compared to Forklift 3, most of their efforts were towards making the app prettier.

Forklift has a significant failing if you use List View. Forklift, Finder, PathFinder, QSpace all have a List View - a view where you can expand the directory structure and see the contained files and folders. Only Forklift provides no way to remember the expansion of the directory structure as you left when you last were viewing the top folder. Every time you revisit the folder, it shows as fully collapsed. You have to re-expand everything to get back to the way you were before. That makes Forklift completely useless since I use List View almost exclusively. When I discussed this with Forklift support a very long time ago, before version 4, they agreed it would be a good thing to add.

QSpace is very sophisticated in retaining the state of any folder. You get a toggle which allows you to set any folder to retain its full state. So you get to retain the tree expansion, sort order, etc. It's completely at your discretion which folders you do this for. QSpace understood the importance of that and prioritized it. Forklift deprioritized it.

An amazing feature of QSpace is the configurable context menu, the menu you get by right-clicking on a file or folder. You can add almost anything to it, even custom actions you define. I'm so tired of launch services failing to give me the program I want when I select "Open With". In QSpace I have the programs I use most ready to handle any file. Forklift just doesn't have this feature.

QSpace has configurable layout: 1, 2, 3, or 4 panes placed in many different ways. I have many workspaces, each with different layouts. What a loss it would be to use Forklift and be stuck with one or two panes.

Speaking of workspaces, QSpace did a much better job at it than Forklift. Workspaces are first-class citizens, not just entries in your favorites. When you switch to a workspace in QSpace, it tells you what workspace you're in. As you navigate around in any of the workspace panes, the workspace is updated to retain that state for the next time you go back to the workspace. If you want a workspace to be locked in, you can use the feature of QSpace which allows you to lock a pane to stay rooted at a particular folder. That lock state is retained per workspace.

QSpace has so many other features. This has a downside in that you sometimes don't know what a feature mentioned in preferences actually does. There's no help menu. Also, their online tutorial is quite limited. They usually have no tooltop on the checkboxes in preferences. So, it's a learning curve.

They quickly addressed bugs that I've reported. They also have frequent updates.

I don't like the China angle. However, they don't even try to hide it. I really don't know where a lot of my software is actually coming from, what ties to particular countries exist, or what the privacy laws are in each country involved. (I guess I'm too lazy to spend the time; it would be quite the undertaking.) On Windows I used to run Kaspersky. I stopped because it was from Russia; I switched to an alternative that was just as highly regarded. Unfortunately, I haven't found any alternative to QSpace that I regard as highly.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I've got to second those thoughts. Since I moved to a Mac (5 years ago now) I've tried almost all file managers out there, until I re-tried QSpace Pro I was a Forklift convert. Now I am truly converted to QSpace, no bugs I've found and feature packed.
The only complaint is the 'online manual' as that ties back to an older and poorer version.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
@svenmany, thanks for your detailed reply—you certainly present a compelling case.

I don't like the China angle. However, they don't even try to hide it.

To be clear, I have no problem with the fact that QSpace is from China or that it is the product of Chinese developers. Hey, they’re probably just ordinary people trying to earn an honest living. And they seem good at it, too, so more power to ’em!

No, my problem is with the Chinese government and the systems that support it. China’s government has a known propensity for making ordinary people disappear—often, surely, without just cause. Indeed, perhaps you’ve heard of the Uighurs, an ethnic minority that China has uprooted and forced into “re-education camps.” The situation has significant implications for my own background and ancestral history.

I agree with @ixxx69: QSpace’s developers are undoubtedly at their government’s mercy. Right now, QSpace appears to be clean; unfortunately, there’s no guarantee it will remain so.

Reactions: gregmac19

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Dual pane in Pathfinder is broken by design. They didn't properly handle the resizing of each pane when the whole window is resized. They do it OK if the two panes are equally sized. As you resize the whole window, each pane maintains 50% of the space. The problems start when you don't have the two panes equally sized.

Other two pane applications that I've checked maintain the same proportions of the panes when the window is resized. Pathfinder maintains a fixed size for one of the two panes. So if you shrink the window, you can make one panes disappear. Then, the button to toggle between two panes and one will do nothing. I just downloaded the latest Pathfinder to test, and it behaves this way.

I can't figure how they pick which pane to fix in size when the window is resized. I just tested the situation where I had a single window open and the left pane was fixed in size when I resized the window. Then I opened another window. It showed the same two directories with the same proportional split to the panes. But when I resized that new window, the right pane was fixed in size.

I just now tested another scenario. I had a single window open with the panes split at 50/50, so that they could maintain that proportion. Then I closed that window. When I opened a new window, the proportion was not 50/50 any longer. So I was back to the situation of having a disappearing pane.

If you resize windows frequently, Pathfinder is an unusable application.

They have similar bugs in the module panes. I don't remember the details, but I was able to resize the window and get a module to disappear. Then the button to hide/show the module wouldn't work. That was a frequently report bug.

In general, whenever you end up in a situation when things can't be unhidden, the only solution is to maximize the entire window to get enough room to show what should be there. Then you can resize the components to recover them when the window is made smaller.

It's a mess. They broke it all when they introduced modules. It was an ambitious effort. But they weren't up to the task.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Agreed I've been a Forklift user for years but since movig to the latext versioh of QSpace I've not had the need to move back to it. It's still installed but I've not used it at all.
I do think that either Forklift 4 or QSpace are the best choices, all depending as to how you find them for your own personal usage patterns,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.