Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I’ve got an xbox one but I just recently bought a 1Tb external SSD to boost its memory capacity and it was basically plug and play, no complicated installation procedures involved

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
While Bethesda has always impressed me with the quality of their games, it is things like this that keep them high in my esteem. They so often do things like this for terminal children who are their fans. Kudos to the good people at Bethesda! You made this kids last days a joy! It's actions like this that keep us coming back!

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-...-cancer-fulfil-his-wish-of-playing-fallout-76

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
On the storage issue; I got myself a 4TB external drive and I store games I finished on it that I don't want to uninstall. All screenshots and stuff also go on there.

On Fallout: I've never played any Fallout game. (shame on me!) but I've put them on my long list of games to play ;-)

Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw this earlier too, I am pretty stoked for this. I am a bit bummed out that the BETA won't be until the 30th for PS4, but what's one extra week of waiting.
I've yet to take the plunge and buy FO76, but I'll probably take the plunge, though this will be a different FO game. No interacting with NPCs and lack of any quest lines from them is probably my biggest disappointment.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I've yet to take the plunge and buy FO76, but I'll probably take the plunge, though this will be a different FO game. No interacting with NPCs and lack of any quest lines from them is probably my biggest disappointment.
Yeah, I think the NPC interactions will be my biggest loss as well. I think there is enough of a storyline (supposedly created by the Overseer's instructions) to keep me interested, but I will agree the lack of a kind of faction system or other multi choice options will be missed.

Ultimately though I spend a ton of time playing all the side missions and exploring places, so as long as Bethesda has as good of detail and side quests as Fallout 4 I will be happy enough.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
OK. I think I'm all onboard now. Here's some actual gameplay footage (pretty comprehensive) and I must say that the game looks really good. It may take some getting used to, at first, but it certainly looks like it will be fun and interesting. Take a look!

[doublepost=1539017437][/doublepost]More gameplay reviews are out and everyone seems pretty stoked by what they've seen and played!

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/10/08/fallout-76-gameplay-hands-on-review

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
OK. I think I'm all onboard now. Here's some actual gameplay footage (pretty comprehensive) and I must say that the game looks really good. It may take some getting used to, at first, but it certainly looks like it will be fun and interesting. Take a look!

[doublepost=1539017437][/doublepost]More gameplay reviews are out and everyone seems pretty stoked by what they've seen and played!

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/10/08/fallout-76-gameplay-hands-on-review
After seeing several gameplay videos and recaps, I am in agreement. The game looks great and there seems like there will be plenty to do.

It will take a little getting used to in the area of the lack of NPCs, but I think in the end it has the same guts as a traditional Fallout game. If you go in with an open mind, I think the game has good promise. I am super excited!

Reactions: RootBeerMan

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Can't say how I feel about the V.A.T.S. system, though. I always liked having that pause in time to catch my breath in serious combat situations.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Can't say how I feel about the V.A.T.S. system, though. I always liked having that pause in time to catch my breath in serious combat situations.
I understand why they can’t, since your character will be a live instance on a server with other people. I personally didn’t use VATs a whole lot on my Fallout 4 builds, but occasionally it does come in handy with the time slow down. Basically now in Fallout 76 it will be a sort of auto-aim more than anything.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
After seeing several gameplay videos and recaps, I am in agreement. The game looks great and there seems like there will be plenty to do.

It will take a little getting used to in the area of the lack of NPCs, but I think in the end it has the same guts as a traditional Fallout game. If you go in with an open mind, I think the game has good promise. I am super excited!

I am trying to have an open mind but the recent comments are making me wary.

im not into online play, but the love of fallout would take me past that. however its one thing to play a game where I have to wander round and interact with strangers, but from what im reading, its basically that you almost have to play it with friends. I have friends. most don't have playstations. the few that do aren't avid gamers. the few that are, im unlikely to be free to play when they are. does this mean the game is a waste for me?

when you play and you are on your own, how does it decide who to put you in with, and what happens to the game when you aren't playing?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
im not into online play, but the love of fallout would take me past tha
That's me as I stated, I love the fallout world, but do we lose out on some of that feel with online play and lack of NPCs? I think I'll be plunking down the money to get the game. I'll be playing it solo

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I am trying to have an open mind but the recent comments are making me wary.

im not into online play, but the love of fallout would take me past that. however its one thing to play a game where I have to wander round and interact with strangers, but from what im reading, its basically that you almost have to play it with friends. I have friends. most don't have playstations. the few that do aren't avid gamers. the few that are, im unlikely to be free to play when they are. does this mean the game is a waste for me?

when you play and you are on your own, how does it decide who to put you in with, and what happens to the game when you aren't playing?
I have seen similar videos, but I think the consensus seems to be that while it definitely is possible to play solo, it can be a lot more challenging. I’d say too though as one ranks you’ll get more powerful weapons and more powerful perks to use to take down those high rank creatures.

It’s actually a bit like Fallout 4 in that way, there are definitely some high rank Deathclaws and Super Mutants that you can run into when you are a low rank, and you can either blast your way through (wasting lots of ammo and/or dying), or you sneak away from the boss to come back later at a higher rank. Same applies I think to Fallout 76, especially considering everyone reviewing the game was only at around level 6.

In the end it won’t be for everyone, nor will it be terrible, I think if you like the core functions of Fallout, you’ll get most of that, with the main loss being no major factions or NPC trait, at least at game launch. Who knows, they could add that in later at a later date.
[doublepost=1539205875][/doublepost]
That's me as I stated, I love the fallout world, but do we lose out on some of that feel with online play and lack of NPCs? I think I'll be plunking down the money to get the game. I'll be playing it solo
Same here, I usually play solo, especially because I usually end up with people who don’t know what to do, or are little kids that are annoying (nothing against little kids, but they shouldn’t be playing games like Fallout).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but I think the consensus seems to be that while it definitely is possible to play solo, it can be a lot more challenging.
The lack of a story may hinder solo play. In the end, its a game where you explore, and look for launch codes. Those launch codes only will help you by gaining some rare elements. I think base building is the other major option in the game.

PvP is an interesting dynamic in the game, it seems if you don't want to fight someone you can run away or ignore them. Trying to kill someone even in a full PvP may expend too much ammo, and stimpacks to make it worthwhile, that is the loot you get will not offset what you used to kill the person. That may change as they tweak the game, but the videos that i've seen so far seem show even if you're ganged up, you're not really going to lose out on much the aggressors spent a lot of ammo but didn't much in return.

I'm leaning against the edition that allows me to play the beta. The FAQ on the beta seems to indicate that the game will not be up running 24x7 and bethesda will notify you when its ready. This is done to maximize participation and I get that, but that may very exclude my playing the game. My schedule is limited to playing on the PS4 a couple times of week and then only for an hour or two. I may save my $$ and just the base game and jump into it when the game is released next month.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm leaning against the edition that allows me to play the beta. The FAQ on the beta seems to indicate that the game will not be up running 24x7 and bethesda will notify you when its ready. This is done to maximize participation and I get that, but that may very exclude my playing the game. My schedule is limited to playing on the PS4 a couple times of week and then only for an hour or two. I may save my $$ and just the base game and jump into it when the game is released next month.
Yeah, I am in the same boat, and am certainly definitely disappointed that they chose to release the beta earlier on Xbox than on PS4 (my console) and PC. And the available hour limitations on the beta will prevent many of us with work schedules from playing the beta, but unfortunately this info wasn’t available when I bought my preorder.

If you wait for a week or so after the game officially comes out, it’ll give you a chance to see others reviews and give you further confirmation if this game would work for you.

It certainly isn’t a traditional Fallout game, but I guess for me it at least be a fill-in Fallout style exploration game until Bethesda releases Fallout 5 in 2030 :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
beta earlier on Xbox than on PS4
Unlike the beta, there's an NDA with the XBOX release.

Looks like some poor soul chose to ignore the NDA
Fallout 76 Stress Test Leaker Suspended From Xbox and Twitter

He's affectively banned from playing the game until January
Microsoft has suspended their Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and Xbox Insider access until the 1st of January, 2019. Although Bethesda has technically given them permission to play the game from late October, Fallout 76 requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Here's a review of what the game is like from someone who played the BETA last night. Sounds like there are still some bugs in the combat system for PvP but doesn't seem too bad. I didn't care for crafting too much in Fallout 4, but it sounds like it has a big part to play in 76.

https://kotaku.com/fallout-76-feels-like-two-different-games-1829976739

There’s a lot of tension in Fallout 76 between the series’ solitary past and its new multiplayer future. During my four hours in the game’s beta last night, these two sides of the game repeatedly rubbed up uncomfortably against one another. I have a tough time imagining how they’ll ever be reconciled.

Fallout 76 began with me emerging from the game’s titular vault on Reclamation Day into a small portion of West Virginia’s irradiated wasteland. I was ordered by the vault overseer to take back the country and rebuild civilization. I was immediately surrounded by other players, often with ridiculous names floating above their heads, awkwardly jerking this way and that. Our numbers quickly dwindled as we traveled further from that starting point, searching for better loot. By the time I’d emerged from the game’s nearest set of workbenches with a make-shift pistol and wooden board at my disposal, I felt entirely alone. Not just alone in the normal single-player Fallout way: Fallout 76 has no NPCs. I encountered my fair share of ghouls, mutants, mole rats, and quest-giving robots, but that was it. The parts of West Virginia I managed to visit in the limited time I had with the beta were mostly empty and abandoned, filled only with the occasional buzz of old time radios or the occasional pop of guns going off in the distance.

I spent most of my time following train tracks towards the east as they snaked in and out of small riverside towns. Scavenging the wasteland for good equipment, like laser guns and power armor, has always been a central part of Bethesda’s Fallout games, but Fallout 76 takes it to a new level with its in-depth crafting systems. Everything that can be collected in the world, whether it’s wild herbs or metal pots, can be processed into useful materials at one of the crafting benches stashed throughout the world. Raw foods can be seasoned and cooked to improve their nutritional value. Guns can be repaired, and ammunition can be crafted. Old clothes can be broken down into the raw materials necessary to stitch together something more protective.

View attachment upload_2018-10-24_17-26-10.gif

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
PvP but doesn't seem too bad
Interesting article, but I think what will turn out in fallout 76 is this:
where the people with the biggest sticks and the most junk set the tone.
Casual users like myself will be unable to compete with those who take this game so serious. I'd rather not do PVP against others.

I didn't care for crafting too much in Fallout 4
I do like some of the crafting in FO4 (weapons,armor), but I didn't like dealing with constantly needing to repair my weapons in FO3. Given the increased focus on crafting, I'm not sure what to think. I mean you need to craft food to survive.

Overall I think that review nails what I was thinking

There’s a lot of tension in Fallout 76 between the series’ solitary past and its new multiplayer future. During my four hours in the game’s beta last night, these two sides of the game repeatedly rubbed up uncomfortably against one another. I have a tough time imagining how they’ll ever be reconciled.

Bethesda is trying to marry a completely solitary game with a dedicated fanbase, to a multiplayer game that doesn't sacrifice what people love about the game. With the lack of NPCs I think they are sacrificing a lot of what I like about the game. Others may not care as much, but those NPCs with side quests made the game extremely engaging. It also seems odd that they there will be no survivors left in Virginia after the great war, when in Boston so many folks survived. I think having NPCs in a multiplayer game added a level of complexity to the design, and execution of the FO76 that Bethesda couldn't overcome (I'm jumping to conclusions on this, I have no idea).

I'll probably buy the game on playstation.com just because I don't want to be left out :)

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Bethesda is trying to marry a completely solitary game with a dedicated fanbase, to a multiplayer game that doesn't sacrifice what people love about the game. With the lack of NPCs I think they are sacrificing a lot of what I like about the game. Others may not care as much, but those NPCs with side quests made the game extremely engaging. It also seems odd that they there will be no survivors left in Virginia after the great war, when in Boston so many folks survived. I think having NPCs in a multiplayer game added a level of complexity to the design, and execution of the FO76 that Bethesda couldn't overcome (I'm jumping to conclusions on this, I have no idea).

The lack of NPC's is something I don't care for, either. But...there have been some hints dropped by Bethesda on their social media feeds that indicate that there may well be some added in the future. They've been talking about the history of the war and some of the factions and, I am just guessing here, but they may add some NPC's in the future from the various factions. There are going to be raiders, so it's not inconceivable that others have survived.

https://www.newsweek.com/fallout-76-factions-enclave-brotherhood-steel-raiders-responders-1181467

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
there have been some hints dropped by Bethesda on their social media feeds
Now that you mention it, I saw a YT where someone mentioned BOS and the Enclave, so you're right that might be something in the future.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Now that you mention it, I saw a YT where someone mentioned BOS and the Enclave, so you're right that might be something in the future.
As I understand it, you'll be able to align with the factions in the game, via terminals. So, no physical interaction, as yet, but you'll be able to get quests and probably perks and crafting plans from the terminals. I could see them adding in some NPCs down the road, though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was poking around various YT videos regarding FO76, and even BOS, and people seem rather upset over FO76, the more news and the more info that comes out, it seems to cause further alienation to the Fallout fanbase. As for BOS, people are upset because BOS is a west coast faction that couldn't really be established on the east coast 20 years after the bombs fell those fans seem upset over Bethesda's retconning the lore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.