Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
It is releasing in two weeks. That’s not a Beta. Also, it isn’t a beta according to Bethesda. It’s a B.E.T.A, where they’re testing their servers and letting people have early access.

Edit: I’m sure they’re also going to fix all of the console specific problems, like occasionally being 10-12 frames per second.

If you read the patch notes for the beta update that Xbox users had to redownload yesterday, there were a lot of bug fixes and tweaks done. It is beta and is not going to be perfect.

I have only once had a bug in Fallout that was a mission ending bug, and never one on a Bethesda game that was game crashing. And I think the reason people still give Bethesda a break is because their games are fun and have amazing story telling that you simply can’t find elsewhere.

Unfortunately there are bugs, yes. But in the big scheme of gaming, I’m ok with a few small bugs, if the story and gameplay is worth it. Sorry you haven’t had the same enjoyable experience that has kept so many others returning for Bethesda titles.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If you read the patch notes for the beta update that Xbox users had to redownload yesterday, there were a lot of bug fixes and tweaks done. It is beta and is not going to be perfect.

I have only once had a bug in Fallout that was a mission ending bug, and never one on a Bethesda game that was game crashing. And I think the reason people still give Bethesda a break is because their games are fun and have amazing story telling that you simply can’t find elsewhere.

Unfortunately there are bugs, yes. But in the big scheme of gaming, I’m ok with a few small bugs, if the story and gameplay is worth it. Sorry you haven’t had the same enjoyable experience that has kept so many others returning for Bethesda titles.

Would you call 10-12 frames per second on a 60$ game acceptable? Also, this game will have no story. This game will be but city with zero story. There will be few if any NPC. The gameplay isn’t even that good.

I keep buying Bethesda games thinking the next one will be better, but it rarely is. In fact, they’re making the gameplay and stories worse as time goes on as they remove things like nuanced discussion choices or nuanced morality choices.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Would you call 10-12 frames per second on a 60$ game acceptable? Also, this game will have no story. This game will be but city with zero story. There will be few if any NPC. The gameplay isn’t even that good.

I keep buying Bethesda games thinking the next one will be better, but it rarely is. In fact, they’re making the gameplay and stories worse as time goes on as they remove things like nuanced discussion choices or nuanced morality choices.
I am not saying it’s perfect, or that frame rate is acceptable, but these are things that will be mostly fixed during the beta process. I was just giving my reason for why I (like others) enjoy the game. It’s not for everyone, and if you don’t like this game, try a different studio, like Rockstars Red Dead Redemption 2, which is getting rave reviews.

All I am trying to say is Bethesda isn’t perfect but no game studio is. No game will make everyone happy unfortunately.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am not saying it’s perfect, or that frame rate is acceptable, but these are things that will be mostly fixed during the beta process. I was just giving my reason for why I (like others) enjoy the game. It’s not for everyone, and if you don’t like this game, try a different studio, like Rockstars Red Dead Redemption 2, which is getting rave reviews.

All I am trying to say is Bethesda isn’t perfect but no game studio is. No game will make everyone happy unfortunately.

Let’s not pretend this is a beta process. The game is coming out in 15 days. I highly doubt they’re going to more than double the frame rate in 15 days.

Also, I’m not buying a Rockstar game until they shape up their employee treatment practices. Plus, I’ve tried RDR 2. It’s not that good for other reasons I could get into but know it’s derailing this one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
et’s not pretend this is a beta process. The game is coming out in 15 days. I highly doubt they’re going to more than double the frame rate in 15 days
If you're down on the game, then by all means don't buy it. I'm not really here to defend or coerce people to buy/play it. I've enjoyed the game for the extremely short amount of time I played it. I look forward to more time today.

I know Bethesda has a reputation of having buggy software and I'm not going to defend that. But I will point out my experience, such as some issues in Fallout4 almost no issues in the wolfenstein franchise or doom, i.e., I've had a largely positive.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
If you're down on the game, then by all means don't buy it. I'm not really here to defend or coerce people to buy/play it. I've enjoyed the game for the extremely short amount of time I played it. I look forward to more time today.

I know Bethesda has a reputation of having buggy software and I'm not going to defend that. But I will point out my experience, such as some issues in Fallout4 almost no issues in the wolfenstein franchise or doom, i.e., I've had a largely positive.
I’m not sure if you are aware, but because of the whole fiasco with some people having to redownload the game on Tuesday (and this missing out on some of the beta time), Bethesda did extend the beta times for today. You can play the beta from 2pm-11pm EST today (11/1). Unfortunately I have to work my day job so I won’t be able t play for a good chunk of that, but thought I’d mention that!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
yes, I'm aware, and I'll try to take advantage to some degree but since I have a wife and kids, my time on the PS4 will be limited to some degree. I'm looking to finish work up early and so I'll have time in the afternoon to dedicate
I’ll probably play for an hour during my lunch break, but other than that it’s a busy day for me so won’t I won’t be able to get off early even if I tried. Lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting opinion on FO76
I seem to agree with most of what he discusses.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Interesting opinion on FO76
I seem to agree with most of what he discusses.
Yeah I saw his video too. He made some good points and definitely I think sums up the current opinions of the game pretty well.

I’m a side note I am already frustrated a bit that this is an online game. Of course the one day with extended beta play time is the one day my internet line has to get cut by maintenance crews and I have no internet until at least tomorrow morning. It’s just a game, I know, but if it wasn’t online only I could still be trying it out more today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm playing it right now, and just got to flatwoods (I think that's what its called) and started the first responder quest. I need to stop and sleep a few times because my health is down and I'm low on stimpacks

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm playing it right now, and just got to flatwoods (I think that's what its called) and started the first responder quest. I need to stop and sleep a few times because my health is down and I'm low on stimpacks
Yeah I noticed stimpak distribution seems really low compared to when you’d start off in Fallout 4. Tuesday when I was playing I was collecting, cooking and eating every bit of food I could find so I didn’t use my stimpaks. Be careful sleeping in a bed that’s not in your camp! I got a disease doing that too. Lol

Reactions: RootBeerMan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got a disease doing that too.
Yep, I found that out the hard way.

Ok, I had an extended time with the game yesterday so I have a better feel of the game.

Once I reached level 5, people starting shooting me. given my amount of ammo, and stimpacks, I'm not looking to have any PVP. I'm at level 9 now, and I've done some events, and some side quests, such as the one at the army base (or was it air force), and the final challenge was extremely hard. I died several times. I don't know if that's a portend of the future, but I found myself low on ammo, and out of stimpacks. I have a lot of food, but that in of itself raises my radiation and I have little to no radaway. I'm finding the game at least at this stage to be extremely stingy with the basic supplies that you need, while throwing challenges and obstacles that want to suck those supplies dry. Perhaps this is a factor of single play and this is why its more of a coop game.

One thing that has worked in my favor is that I set up my camp right across from the Overseers who left her camp there for us. So I get all of the workbenches and what not at my disposal without needing to build them. I can fast travel to my camp for free and rest up if need be, or repair my weapons.

With Fallout 3, new vegas, Fallout 4, it was easy to get sucked into the game and spend time, but I can't say that I'm sucked into the game. I keep playing to see how the game is, but I'm not enjoying it on the same level as I was with FO4. I had concerns at the beginning of this thread about my style of play, what I like to play and how I prefer to play. Having spent several hours last night on FO76 has not allayed those concerns but somewhat enflamed them. I'll spend more time this weekend and see if I can complete the morgantown portion of the quest.

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Yep, I found that out the hard way.

Ok, I had an extended time with the game yesterday so I have a better feel of the game.

Once I reached level 5, people starting shooting me. given my amount of ammo, and stimpacks, I'm not looking to have any PVP. I'm at level 9 now, and I've done some events, and some side quests, such as the one at the army base (or was it air force), and the final challenge was extremely hard. I died several times. I don't know if that's a portend of the future, but I found myself low on ammo, and out of stimpacks. I have a lot of food, but that in of itself raises my radiation and I have little to no radaway. I'm finding the game at least at this stage to be extremely stingy with the basic supplies that you need, while throwing challenges and obstacles that want to suck those supplies dry. Perhaps this is a factor of single play and this is why its more of a coop game.

One thing that has worked in my favor is that I set up my camp right across from the Overseers who left her camp there for us. So I get all of the workbenches and what not at my disposal without needing to build them. I can fast travel to my camp for free and rest up if need be, or repair my weapons.

With Fallout 3, new vegas, Fallout 4, it was easy to get sucked into the game and spend time, but I can't say that I'm sucked into the game. I keep playing to see how the game is, but I'm not enjoying it on the same level as I was with FO4. I had concerns at the beginning of this thread about my style of play, what I like to play and how I prefer to play. Having spent several hours last night on FO76 has not allayed those concerns but somewhat enflamed them. I'll spend more time this weekend and see if I can complete the morgantown portion of the quest.
I finished through Morgantown on Tuesday, and had done one of the side quests, and for me that’s where I started getting more into it.

And for me, I played a lot of melee at first so that I could save ammo, and now I have a decent enough stock pile of various ammo, so it’s not as bad at the get go. But I definitely agree I think they made it a little overly hard to find stump and and ammo, at least in my playthrough so far. Hopefully this is something that improves and gets bumped up.

As for PVP, I only had one person shoot at me, but maybe I got lucky. For the most part I was running solo and not finding too many other people after the first two hours.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As for PVP, I only had one person shoot at me, but maybe I got lucky. For the most part I was running solo and not finding too many other people after the first two hours.
I think it all depends on the server you're on to be honest. I seemed to have a lot of overly aggressive people shooting at me, but then I had to leave the game and cook dinner. Once I returned, I must have been on a different server because I almost almost alone and those who were there had no interest in PvP even though some of them were higher levels then me.

Yeah, I use machete quite a bit but some of the robots and even scorched are hard to kill with a melee weapon. I took a lot of damage due to one protectron not incurring much damage from my melee attack. I had to switch to my hunting rifle to put him down.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I think it all depends on the server you're on to be honest. I seemed to have a lot of overly aggressive people shooting at me, but then I had to leave the game and cook dinner. Once I returned, I must have been on a different server because I almost almost alone and those who were there had no interest in PvP even though some of them were higher levels then me.

Yeah, I use machete quite a bit but some of the robots and even scorched are hard to kill with a melee weapon. I took a lot of damage due to one protectron not incurring much damage from my melee attack. I had to switch to my hunting rifle to put him down.
Yeah melee weapons have never really been my thing in Fallout. I’ve always been rifleman and intelligence kind of build player, but at least in the beginning of FO76 I find I am having to play a lot more melee. I am hoping once I get more junk built up and some more workstations unlocked, I can start building my own ammo and maybe it won’t be as bad. They also do have the Scrounger perk for ammo, so hopefully I’ll unlock that as well.

I think that is my second small gripe (after no NPCs). I don’t mind the card system for perks, but the randomness is kind of annoying, as I have certain perks I’d rather have out the gate that you may or may not get depending on what Perk cards you get. I do like that you can switch the cards out, but the randomness is slightly annoying.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see in the bethesda forums that there's a number of people who are complaining about the PvP. there seems to be some push back in that they want a more robust PvP system and do away with the gimped damage when the person doesn't want to fight. I think if they re-do the PvP to make it more of a shooter/looter game they'll lose many of the franchise fallout fans.
[doublepost=1541174757][/doublepost]I will say that I'm looking forward to tomorrow to spend more time

I finished through Morgantown
Was there a scorched monster to kill (I thought I saw that on videos) and was it hard to dispose of?

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I see in the bethesda forums that there's a number of people who are complaining about the PvP. there seems to be some push back in that they want a more robust PvP system and do away with the gimped damage when the person doesn't want to fight. I think if they re-do the PvP to make it more of a shooter/looter game they'll lose many of the franchise fallout fans.
[doublepost=1541174757][/doublepost]I will say that I'm looking forward to tomorrow to spend more time

Was there a scorched monster to kill (I thought I saw that on videos) and was it hard to dispose of?
No I didn’t come across one there. Actually I have not run into a scorchbeast yet at all, and honestly I am glad. Lol. I don’t have enough stimpaks or ammo to defeat a level 50 boss. I might defeat it but I’ll have nothing left for the rest of my gameplay.

Also, I 100% agree with you. I have seen those rumors in videos too of people wanting Bethesda to redo the PVP to be less forgiving and to do more damage to non-PVP engaging players, and quite honestly if that happens you can count me out. I will likely play solo most of the time, and I am not really into PVP. I have seen other good online games ruined by griefers who only did PVP and ruined the experience for me and others.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I spent a few hours playing FO76 during yesterday's window of play. The progress and excitement of Thursday's game disappeared and I was presented with a grind. I felt I used up more material, ammo, and health for no gain. Glitches and bugs (I know its a beta) amplified that feeling.

First issue I was in morgantown airport and one of the events kicked off. I used up a lot of ammo and health fighting those scorched hordes coming in 5 waves. I did it, yay, and I was heading to get the drop shipment, but then the server glitched and I was thrown out and the location was reloaded and presumably a different server, no more drop shipment! I was also notified the event was starting and I would have to fight the scorched again. I literally did not have enough ammo or healing items to redo that event.

Second issues, I headed off to Charlestown and arrived in short order w/o any headaches. There I did the MotherLode quest and at the completion of that you get a power armor. Mine was waiting for me by the door. It prompted me to enter, I hit the X button and I froze. I didn't enter the armor, I couldn't walk, I couldn't do anything, not even bring up the pipboy. All I could do was fast travel out of the location which was weird because I was inside. Anyways going back there, the armor was gone. That happened about 8:00pm, and I was tired, so I shut it down.

Overall, it was more of a grind and less enjoyable. I think some of the things that I feel that made Fallout special are missing, and it was more noticeable playing it saturday. Without any interaction with human NPCs or many other NPCs for that matter, it seemed what I did Thursday, I did Saturday, not much changed. Consider Fallout 4 doing the Nukaworld DLC. You're interacting with raiders, you can choose to be a raider and take over settlements in the commonwealth, that has implications if you were a minuteman. Its those decisions, moral decisions that cause a consequence (good or bad), such as Garvey not talking to you (I think that's a good thing :p ) I was sucked right into Fallout 4, with the story, game play and world. I'm not getting that same vibe. I think I'll take a break today and not play it when the servers come online.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been spending some time over on the Bethesda forums, specifically the FO76 forum. While there was a mixture of positive/negative, today there seems to be an overwhelming vibe of negatively.
Top complaints
Performance/bugs
PvP - people are up in arms about how PvP is gimped on the game (which I'm personally happy with).
overall playability, including quests, crafting etc.

I've said this before, Its not a game that has sucked me in. Fallout 4, which I still play was and is an awesome game, but part of the awesomeness is related to the multilayered charachters, storyline, and focus on the end result, i.e., finding your son. The open world just added to the overall enjoyment of the game, but the focus and core goal of the game wasn't about the open world. Now in Fallout 76 the open world is the focus with the main story line having you explore and little else, since there's no human NPCs, and no human NPCs means a lack of moral decisions to make.

One thing I REALLY, REALLY wished they'd do is open up the play times. We people on the beta program spend a lot of money, why not let us play any time or day instead of limiting us to a few hours every other day.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
One thing I REALLY, REALLY wished they'd do is open up the play times. We people on the beta program spend a lot of money, why not let us play any time or day instead of limiting us to a few hours every other day.
I’m in the same boat on this. I work Monday through Friday, and can’t always join the 1-3pm (12-2pm for me) beta sessions. I already missed out on a bunch of the beta because I am in the middle of moving, but it just adds insult to injury to place the betas during most of the US’ workforce’s work hours. I think a good 12 hour window would be more fair and indicative of how the servers will handle day to day usage.
[doublepost=1541441834][/doublepost]
I've said this before, Its not a game that has sucked me in. Fallout 4, which I still play was and is an awesome game, but part of the awesomeness is related to the multilayered charachters, storyline, and focus on the end result, i.e., finding your son. The open world just added to the overall enjoyment of the game, but the focus and core goal of the game wasn't about the open world. Now in Fallout 76 the open world is the focus with the main story line having you explore and little else, since there's no human NPCs, and no human NPCs means a lack of moral decisions to make.
I agree with you on this. I still play Fallout 4 (I actually started a new playthrough a few months ago), and while I think will enjoy Fallout 76, I not enjoy it to the same extent of Fallout 4. Fallout 4 is hands down my favorite game, and like you said some of the story telling that makes it such a great game just isn’t there in Fallout 76.

Having said that, Fallout 76 is an online game, so certainly there will be a chance over the next 9-12 months (or longer) for Bethesda to listen to players comments and questions, and make additions to make the game better. For example I still don’t see why they couldn’t add NPCs later down the road. I know Bethesda has they won’t, but there have been other times Bethesda has changed from what was originally promised on.

All in all I think Fallout 76 will be a filler to occupy myself with for a bit as I patiently wait for the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout 5 to come our. And Starfield, I am excited to see what that brings.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like there's a fairly large update, download it, if you want to be ready for the next window.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Today is the last day for playing the game in beta. I hope to spend some extended time, but sadly work will interfere with that :(

I've found for now, that I'm enjoying the game by just exploring and doing my own thing. I'll possibly do some more of the main quest to level up more, but overall the last time I played, just poking around was enjoyable.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Today is the last day for playing the game in beta. I hope to spend some extended time, but sadly work will interfere with that :(

I've found for now, that I'm enjoying the game by just exploring and doing my own thing. I'll possibly do some more of the main quest to level up more, but overall the last time I played, just poking around was enjoyable.
Unfortunately I have to work too and won’t be able to partake much in today’s final beta. I think the one main thing with this beta that Bethesda messed up on was it’s schedule, but it’s whatever, so long as the game is up and not crashing on launch day I’ll be alright. Lol.

In my limited playtime so far, I have find the further I get out of the lower level beginning regions of the map, the more fun I have. Granted I still haven’t played much because the beta is during my work schedule hours or has been when I am busy moving, but I looking forward to next Wednesday when the game is fully released and I can play after work hours for a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.