Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And with that the beta is done.

Overall, its been a pleasant experience, though the game is really designed for teams. I seem to manage ok solo. The expansive map is quite astounding and rich, though I thought there was a lot of boarded up buildings, too many tbh. The limited number of players on a server is a plus but I did run into circumstances where a bunch of us were doing the same quest, and basically falling over each of us multiple times.

Let me first preface this with that I'm not playing this game for PVP and I really don't want this in the game, yet, I did succumb to the temptation to take down a wanted player. I was in the same area as the wanted player and it was a thrill taking him down :). Got some nice stuff and money, he respawned and started attacking me, which was funny because I didn't respond and ignored him. He finally gave up. I still don't like PVP but I think the wanted feature allows for any griefers to come to an ignominious end

I had a nice time having some playing time yesterday, I was able to get in on the window, and setup my camp near a river. I built a water purification machine, and now I have constant supply of clean water - no more radiation from drinking. Its not a huge camp, because I ran into an issue where I got bumped out of a server and the new server had someone in my location. Now its matrix of 4 tiles, small enough that I shouldn't have an issue plunking it down anywhere else, but large enough to hold what I want. When the game is released next week, I'm going to move the camp to a new location, right now its in a very public area and I've read that some folks had ruined camps because other players shot up their place (destroying the water purification). I'll search out a remote location that is by some water.

The things that bothered me: Food/water survival, If I ate and drank as much as I have in the game, I'd be 400lbs. I have to keep eating all the time, and it also seems inconsistent. There's times where I would eat/drink once and go the entire day (fallout time) without anything else and without being nagged. Other times, I'll consumer some water, and my thirst bar looks healthy but then 5 minutes later (real time not fallout time), I'm being nagged.

I hate beating the dead horse, but lack of human NPCs are the biggest drawback on the game. and I think that's why this game hasn't drawn me into it like prior fallout games. I am enjoying the game, but there's definitely a lack of investment and I don't feel compelled to do the main the quests. Those quests seem more about just moving around the map anyways.

Stash limits, many people have complained about this, and this hit me yesterday, I reached 400lbs without evening realizing it. I had to spend 20 minutes scrapping all of my stored junk just to get under the limit. True I should have been scrapping since day 1, but I didn't know you needed to do that to keep the weight down. Even now, near 400lbs, I have no rubber and I need that for some crafting.

I'm not sold on the Scorchers. I dunno, I just don't see them fitting into the fallout lore (even early after the bombs dropped). I guess Bethesda needed some enemy and since there's no other human NPCs they opted for some weird ghoul-like being that works together.

tl;dr version. Fun time playing the game, but not playing it as Bethesda fully envisioned. It's not as captivating as Fallout 4.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This video communicates some of my opinions more effectively and eloquently then I have

Some examples are the lore with super mutants and BOS. It really doesn't make sense to have a reclusive west coast faction exist in Western Virginia. Not just them communicating via satellite but the corpses and holotapes are in FO76.

While I do have complaints, I have enjoyed the game, but one thing that has stuck me. The incredible volume of negative sentiment with the game. I'm seeing more negative YT videos and there is a groundswell of negativity. There's no common theme it seems. Some people decry the lack of NPCs or Lore (both of which I have because that's part of the prior FO games), others complain about PVP, others still about it having to be multiplayer.

I'm committed, I already paid for the game, but I'm also invested in that I spent a handful of hours on the game and having done so, I do think Bethesda has their hands full in trying to fix some of the major complaints of the game. I hope it doesn't crash and burn, but I do wonder about the overall success.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ok, I've been playing this now for a few days, not spending a ton of time, but I do have a a number of hours under my belt. I'm at level 19 and I'm almost done with top of the world quests. Not give spoilers but I need to do a series of side quests to find out what happened to Madigan a first responder.

The game has slowly drawn me in, I do find that it has an appeal on its own, but that appeal is not the same as the prior fallout games. RPG nature of the FO76 is much weaker and I find I tire of needing to go from point A. to point B and then do something. For instance I need to steal some weapons from a super mutant camp to complete the series of quests. Unlike Fallout 4 with its deep story, I'm not drawn in, but I am still enjoying it.

Camping build: I've had fun doing that, and I've seen a few camp sites that others built. Its given me insight on what works and what doesn't. For instance, I put my gun turrents up on a canter-levered 2nd floor so they're out of reach. I noticed some poor soul's camp and it was being over-run by scorched and while he had lots of gun turrets they were on the ground and were destroyed by the wave of scorchers. That same person had a container full of stuff, presumably because his (or her's) vault-tec personal storage was at capacity. Someone was able to walk right up into his site (door unlocked) and see/take anything that they wanted from that storage unit. Don't leave rare items within reach of anyone :)

Weight limits part duex. I seem to be always near or over the amount of stuff I can carry, I don't carry a lot, two hunting rifles (in case I'm far out and one breaks), one shot gun. Some armor and my aide items. Then there's the junk (even though I scrap everything whenever I can ). I find I'm not almost always near the threshold. Right now, my weight limit is 170 and its amazing how little you can carry. I'm not sure I want to use a perk point to give me 5 extra lbs because my character has other needs.

PVP and hunted. I've had my hand in the hunted stuff, with mixed results, but here's my take. There are players out there that spend a lot of time in the game (or in other PVP games) and I'm outclassed in handling PVP. I tried going after a hunted person yesterday and I lost out, the risk vs. reward isn't there for me. I made sure I had pacifist mode turned on after that. I didn't want to be distracted plus as I stated I'm no match against the hard core gamers.

The world is empty, there's no if and or buts about it and that takes away a lot of the fallout feel of the game. There's something to be said to coming up into a settlement like Covenant, where you had an interesting side quest, or Good neighbor with the cast of colorful characters like Hancock or Bobby no-nose.

tl;dr:
A nice game in its own right, but it doesn't compare to the richness and depth of prior fallout games.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Ok, I've been playing this now for a few days, not spending a ton of time, but I do have a a number of hours under my belt. I'm at level 19 and I'm almost done with top of the world quests. Not give spoilers but I need to do a series of side quests to find out what happened to Madigan a first responder.

The game has slowly drawn me in, I do find that it has an appeal on its own, but that appeal is not the same as the prior fallout games. RPG nature of the FO76 is much weaker and I find I tire of needing to go from point A. to point B and then do something. For instance I need to steal some weapons from a super mutant camp to complete the series of quests. Unlike Fallout 4 with its deep story, I'm not drawn in, but I am still enjoying it.

Camping build: I've had fun doing that, and I've seen a few camp sites that others built. Its given me insight on what works and what doesn't. For instance, I put my gun turrents up on a canter-levered 2nd floor so they're out of reach. I noticed some poor soul's camp and it was being over-run by scorched and while he had lots of gun turrets they were on the ground and were destroyed by the wave of scorchers. That same person had a container full of stuff, presumably because his (or her's) vault-tec personal storage was at capacity. Someone was able to walk right up into his site (door unlocked) and see/take anything that they wanted from that storage unit. Don't leave rare items within reach of anyone :)

Weight limits part duex. I seem to be always near or over the amount of stuff I can carry, I don't carry a lot, two hunting rifles (in case I'm far out and one breaks), one shot gun. Some armor and my aide items. Then there's the junk (even though I scrap everything whenever I can ). I find I'm not almost always near the threshold. Right now, my weight limit is 170 and its amazing how little you can carry. I'm not sure I want to use a perk point to give me 5 extra lbs because my character has other needs.

PVP and hunted. I've had my hand in the hunted stuff, with mixed results, but here's my take. There are players out there that spend a lot of time in the game (or in other PVP games) and I'm outclassed in handling PVP. I tried going after a hunted person yesterday and I lost out, the risk vs. reward isn't there for me. I made sure I had pacifist mode turned on after that. I didn't want to be distracted plus as I stated I'm no match against the hard core gamers.

The world is empty, there's no if and or buts about it and that takes away a lot of the fallout feel of the game. There's something to be said to coming up into a settlement like Covenant, where you had an interesting side quest, or Good neighbor with the cast of colorful characters like Hancock or Bobby no-nose.

tl;dr:
A nice game in its own right, but it doesn't compare to the richness and depth of prior fallout games.
I think this very well sums up my experience as well so far with FO76.

Unfortunately I have been moving this entire last two weeks, and as a result didn't get much time to play (yesterday was my first long play session since the game officially released). Now that I got a few days of play in (Level 14, about 3 days of beta and 1 day of official release), I can say that I enjoy the game, and is engaging, but not in the traditional Fallout sense.

I am ok with the survival mechanics (armor and gun maintenance, food and water), and some of it adds to the RPG experience, but the lack of truly good NPC dialogue with options seems to be lacking. Also weight and storage limits are DEFINITELY frustrating, in fact, its the biggest turn-off of this game, even over the lack of NPC interactions. I mean come-on Bethesda, a 400 weight limit on storage?? I could have 10 missile launchers and a couple Power Armor frames in my storage and it's be maxed out.

My other gripe is the limited amount of stimpaks that you get in this game. I get it, its supposed to be more survival based, but after hitting rank 15 in FO76, I have only 12 Stimpaks, and I have used maybe a half dozen total since I started. In FO4, in contrast, at rank 15 I will have between 25-35 Stimpaks, and that's with already having used a dozen or more Stimpaks on top of that.

Having said that, the rest of the game and exploration has been fun, and I have only just scratched the service. PVP and griefing hasn't been an issue at all (only had one player mess with me, and after I took care of them they left me alone). The landscapes are better the farther out you get, and the music and envrionemtnal story-telling is very fun. I will play more to get a better feel, but I am sure I will spend plenty of time playing this game.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
For me this took a restart to get into. You really have to take your time with the main mission - I was pushing through to follow the overseer story. You completely forget how melee weapons are better in the beginning.

Reactions: Painter2002

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Really. Besides all the numerous bugs, making this game online only was a stupid decision. To make matters even worse, they keep updating the game, and then you cant play the game until you update a ridiculously large (over 50 GB) file. And then when you get to play, you wander from point to point hardly seeing any enemies or animals, but CONSTANTLY being reminded you need to drink or eat. Seriously, CONSTANTLY They ruined this game IMO.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Wasn't it just released last week?

Not saying you're wrong (I haven't played it myself), but in my experience it would be best to give your feedback to the developers and allow a few months before giving a final verdict.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Really. Besides all the numerous bugs, making this game online only was a stupid decision. To make matters even worse, they keep updating the game, and then you cant play the game until you update a ridiculously large (over 50 GB) file. And then when you get to play, you wander from point to point hardly seeing any enemies or animals, but CONSTANTLY being reminded you need to drink or eat. Seriously, CONSTANTLY They ruined this game IMO.
It's a Fallout Survival Mode game. You could play Fallout 4 in survival mode and get the same experience, but this one is new and has a lot of features the stand alone versions never had.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
they keep updating the game, and then you cant play the game until you update a ridiculously large (over 50 GB) file
There's only been a single update since its release AFAIK

you wander from point to point hardly seeing any enemies or animals, but CONSTANTLY being reminded you need to drink or eat
That's part of the game, fast travel costs money, but I agree they need to re-calibrate the hunger/thirst timings. I find, that I'm able to live within those constraints, I have a water purifier and so I have a hefty supply of purified water. As for food, I run into enough wild animals to keep my "pantry" fully stocked. I usually run into a cooking station at some point before the food spoils. Plus doing the quests and/or finding the overseer's locker, gives you plenty of dog food.

I usually pop over to flatwoods, shoot some cows, and cook up some ribeye steaks.

I think once you realize this isn't fallout 4 online, but rather a different gaming experience it may be a bit more enjoyable. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I do seem to keep playing it.

I was playing it yesterday and I was on a map with a bunch of others doing the same quest. That's where it can get a bit complicated, and frustrating. So far it seems most people i see online are playing it solo as I am. The game was designed to be group play but so far it seems most are not. I hope Bethesda sees that and tweaks the game play with single players in mind.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I blame myself for not reviewing this game more before buying it. I definitely don't want to play "survival" mode. I also didn't realize there wouldn't be NPC's like other Fallout's. Not much of a story either. Anyway, I won't make the mistake of buying with little review again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I blame myself for not reviewing this game more before buying it. I definitely don't want to play "survival" mode. I also didn't realize there wouldn't be NPC's like other Fallout's. Not much of a story either. Anyway, I won't make the mistake of buying with little review again.
Your concerns were (and are) mine, in all honesty. I did know about the lack of NPCs and needing to eat/drink, but I still bought the game :eek:

Its not a bad game, and I'll keep at it as long as I enjoy spending time in the wasteland. The place is just too gosh darn empty and the lack of human NPCs are a major reason.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Your concerns were (and are) mine, in all honesty. I did know about the lack of NPCs and needing to eat/drink, but I still bought the game :eek:

Its not a bad game, and I'll keep at it as long as I enjoy spending time in the wasteland. The place is just too gosh darn empty and the lack of human NPCs are a major reason.

I read that the developer was putting this game out as a "social experiment. " I think the experiment failed, which is what many reviews are saying. The metacritic score is terrible.

The game could be great, if they fixed some of these concerns. I guess they thought people wanted a version of Fortnite.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I was playing it yesterday and I was on a map with a bunch of others doing the same quest. That's where it can get a bit complicated, and frustrating. So far it seems most people i see online are playing it solo as I am. The game was designed to be group play but so far it seems most are not. I hope Bethesda sees that and tweaks the game play with single players in mind.
I actually had more of an issue with this when I first started playing the BETAs, but now that I have wondered off onto my own path, I almost never run into other players and find I don't have this issue like my first few game play sessions.

But I agree when this first happened it was rather irritating and spoiled the ability to immerse into the lore fully.
[doublepost=1542743979][/doublepost]
I blame myself for not reviewing this game more before buying it. I definitely don't want to play "survival" mode.
Just an FYI, if you do decide to keep playing the game, pay attention for the hunger and water perk cards (under the Endurance perk tree I believe), I have a level 2 hunger perk and a level 1 water perk equipped and the "survival mode" aspects aren't nearly as annoying as they are when you first start out.
[doublepost=1542744079][/doublepost]
It's a Fallout Survival Mode game. You could play Fallout 4 in survival mode and get the same experience, but this one is new and has a lot of features the stand alone versions never had.
I never tried Fallout 4's survival mode, but I think once I get worn out on FO76, I might try another play through on FO4 to see what survival mode is like on that game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My other gripe is the limited amount of stimpaks that you get in this game
I just ran into a situation where I used up nearly all of my stimpacks - Even though I had some power armor, I had to kill 3 mirelurk hunters and then a wendigo. When it was all done, I blew through most of my stimpacks :(. I died several times trying to get through this, but at least those hunters didn't respawn on me.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I just ran into a situation where I used up nearly all of my stimpacks - Even though I had some power armor, I had to kill 3 mirelurk hunters and then a wendigo. When it was all done, I blew through most of my stimpacks :(. I died several times trying to get through this, but at least those hunters didn't respawn on me.
Yeah, I wish they would tweak the simpaks at least a little, I feel like there would be more than just a couple dozen stimpaks laying around in a several mile radius of any point of the map, lol.

And of course it’s my luck, the one day I finally have to commit several hours of playing is the one day the servers are taken down for an unannounced maintenance. This is one reason an offline mode would be nice. Oh well. Guess I will have to do something else productive with my day. :(

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

Power armor?? When am I ever going to get some power armor?? :) I came across it once, but I couldn't do anything with it...nor even take it for later.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Power armor?? When am I ever going to get some power armor?? :) I came across it once, but I couldn't do anything with it...nor even take it for later.
You have to take the power armor plates off (if they are higher ranks than your current rank), then you can get in it. After that once you get out of it you can store it in your person.

I have two frames, and a partial set of T60 armor that I can’t use yet. Lol.

The thing I haven’t figured out yet is where/how do you get Fusion Cores? I have only found two (one in each power armor frame), but haven’t found a single one yet. I had over 200 Fusion cores on my last FO4 play through. I have heard the fusion cores last much longer but I haven’t heard exactly how long that is

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Want power armor? Here ya go!

https://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-76-power-armor-location-guide/

Here's a video with some good advice.

https://kotaku.com/how-to-get-power-armor-quickly-in-fallout-76-1830474938

And this link is indispensable! It's the Fallout 76 Wiki!

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout_76
[doublepost=1542836016][/doublepost]
You have to take the power armor plates off (if they are higher ranks than your current rank), then you can get in it. After that once you get out of it you can store it in your person.

I have two frames, and a partial set of T60 armor that I can’t use yet. Lol.

The thing I haven’t figured out yet is where/how do you get Fusion Cores? I have only found two (one in each power armor frame), but haven’t found a single one yet. I had over 200 Fusion cores on my last FO4 play through. I have heard the fusion cores last much longer but I haven’t heard exactly how long that is

As far as we can figure, if you don't find them in loot drops or caches you have to craft them.

https://gamerant.com/fallout-76-fusion-core-power-armor/
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_core_(Fallout_76)

Last edited:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

As far as we can figure, if you don't find them in loot drops or caches you have to craft them.

I hadn't bothered to google it, but that video really helps. I'm only level 12 though.

I came across some power armor early on, but I couldn't do anything ....take it off, etc.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

Thanks for sharing the links! Fallout wikia is one of the best resources, I used to use it fairly often on Fallout 4.

On Fusion Cores, I finally found out that when you complete the “Power Up” events, and claim the workshop at the power plant, you get access to a fusion core processor. I claimed a workshop at the Monongah Power Plant, and powered up the fusion core processor using several power generators. I had it claimed for about 3-4 hours after which I had collected 24 Fusion Cores from the processor. I also happened across one fusion core just lying on the edge of a balcony, forget where exactly though.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One thing that's kind of grating on my this morning (started out last night). I finally finished all of the quests for Rose at the top of the world. Now I have a broken transponder that Madigan had, and I need to bring it to a bunker which opens the door to a series of new quests. Here's the issue, these quests are virtually the same as the involved Top of the World. I need to go to a location grab something, then go to another location, do the same. Return to the original bunker so something and then go back out.

The quests are getting boring and while you can make a case quests in fallout 4 didn't differ much, there was depth of story and characters. All I'm doing is listening to holotapes.

I will say the creatures in the Mire (far east of the map), are much more harder to kill and higher levels. One location had a robobrain with some sort of missile launcher , and an assaultron. I avoided that area because they were like level 40. I also keep running into Anglers, gulpers and Yao guai bears in the mire. They're all higher levels then I am and seem to be many of them, I have to move very slow, staying hidden, as its so easy to get overrun at this point

On the topic of the game, this can't be good. User score of 2.7 and reviews are a little better but not great. I have not seen this level of negativity since Mass Affect Andromeda and we know what happened with that franchise. I'm hoping like No Man's Sky that landed with a thud, they'll keep improving it.

upload_2018-11-22_9-24-37.png

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I can't see it having the Andromeda effect (that game could have been a lot better and I'm a fan of the Mass Effect series) but I can see it having an effect.

The thing that gets me about this game is why didn't they borrow from one of their franchises that does MMORPG much, much better - in my opinion, they should have borrowed from ESO. FO76 feels fragmented and like it doesn't even know its identity. I'm hoping updates (preferably not 50GB updates) address some of the issues but right now this isn't even immersive, it is grinding for the sake of grinding. It is almost like they looked at ESO and said, 'we should make it like Destiny 2'.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I am actually having some fun getting into parts of the story. But I crashed out of the game twice today, and that can be a bit of a mood killer when playing a game. Random crashes need to be fixed. I have strong internet (70+mb on the 2.4 ghz band with the PS4 uses, over 200mb on a the 5.0 ghz bandwidths), so it appears to be the game itself crashing on my vanilla PS4.

I think the game will improve and don’t think it will go down as a Mass Effect Adromeda, certainly not to the extent to where the entire franchise is cut. I hold high hopes that with updates, Bethesda will make this game more of what they intended, and bugs will be worked out.

Ultimately I think FO76 has potential, and I really hope the really lackluster reviews this game is getting won’t discourage Bethesda from providing us with decent updates. They’ve already mentioned more vaults will be opened, so who knows what that could bring..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am actually having some fun getting into parts of the story.
I'm so frustrated right now. I've had about 5 fusion cores disappear out of my inventory, and I'm doing a BOS quest - Defiance has Fallen. I'm in their building and I'm getting over-run by glowing mole rats. What's frustrating is that my melee weapon is doing 0 damage, and while my rifles are doing damage - at least initially, then the mole rat's health goes back to 100%. That is, any damage I inflict is undone, those beasts are unkillable. I have to think its a bug in the system, because I hadn't seen a creature recover its health like that before.

What makes it more frustrating is my power armor is useless since I don't have any power cores. This is the second time I had power cores disappear out of my inventory, I don't know why :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.